Why is it so hard to get a job as an entry level Instrumentation Technician?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Tech86 in Pasadena, Texas

42 months ago

I graduated with my Associates degree in Instrumentation Technology in Dec 08' and have yet to get hired on as a Tech, I have been working as an electrical apprentice which is also good since now I&E is a growing field..but I'm trying to get on with one of the big plants like Lyondell or Exxon or shell does anyone have any tips to get hired on???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dedrickwilliams82@yahoo.com in Lake Charles, Louisiana

42 months ago

Tech86 in Pasadena, Texas said: I graduated with my Associates degree in Instrumentation Technology in Dec 08' and have yet to get hired on as a Tech, I have been working as an electrical apprentice which is also good since now I&E is a growing field..but I'm trying to get on with one of the big plants like Lyondell or Exxon or shell does anyone have any tips to get hired on???

I need to know the samething. I graduated in may of 09 for electrical/instrumentation and still never found work in that field. All I been doing is filling out apps with all the major plant hoping I'll hear something back.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jonb in Sylvania, Ohio

41 months ago

There's something that you guys are not doing. What is it ? I don't know. I suggest finding different techniques to capture potential employers attention. Go to extremes, find out who's in charge and try to catch them outside of their job. Make small chat with them and bring up your desire for a position in a company of his/her type. It might sound crazy but, just to let you know, you don't find a job by just putting in a resume. You get the job from what you do after you put in the resume. If you had two girls and you had to marry one of them, one is completely into you and the other one is very nonchalant. Which one would you choose? It's the same thing s with employers, if your aggressive it will show them that you really want to be a part of their team vs. just looking for a job. I myself just completed a I&C technician certificate program. This industry is all about relationships from the instrument dealers to the HR department. Networking is very important as well....good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dedrickwilliams82@Yahoo.com in Lake Charles, Louisiana

41 months ago

hey bro did u try with lyondell in houston again because i go to take my test with them this wed..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jeff Nyberg in Kansas City, Missouri

41 months ago

I got into the field via Maintenance Technician. Most industrial plants want you to do everything. I ended up working on most electrical and electronic control systems. So in a days work I may be troubleshooting A PLC system and instrumentation but later on be changing a 480volt motor or installing a VFD. I even had to do some welding once in a while. I have noticed if you have alot of PLC experience on your resume these manufacturing plants jump on that. I had one company chase me down in the parking lot after filling out an application because i had the PLC experience they were looking for. Now I work only in instrumentation but now i kind of feel boxed in because i am used to being able to do a lot more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Krazyaker in Whittier, California

40 months ago

Try contractors in oil refineries. Works for me. 47$ an hour plus overtime throughout the year

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

henry tugade in Calgary, Alberta

39 months ago

Krazyaker in Whittier, California said: Try contractors in oil refineries. Works for me. 47$ an hour plus overtime throughout the year

i have a question im still in high school and planning to take this program and i just want to know how long is the schooling and the salary?
and i dont understand why i have to be a apprentice if i finish that program?
what does entry level Instrumentation Technician mean?

please reply to me as soon as possible henrytugade15@yahoo.ca

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.