Are instrumentation technician job opportunities growing or declining?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Host

Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most instrumentation technician opportunities?

Reply - Report abuse

Josh David in Pitkin, Louisiana

123 months ago

I'm starting my classes for industrial instrumentation at Sowela in Lake Charles and was intrested in more information about the job placement and starting salery. Im intrested in the Southwest La. area.
Thanks,
Josh David

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Cody Landry in Lake Charles, Louisiana

115 months ago

Josh David in Pitkin, Louisiana said: I'm starting my classes for industrial instrumentation at Sowela in Lake Charles and was intrested in more information about the job placement and starting salery. Im intrested in the Southwest La. area.
Thanks,
Josh David[/QUOTE

Josh, more permanant jobs will be opening in the next 2-5 years, because of all of the retirees. If I can offer any advice, if possible travel first to get your experience. You will get more experience by seein many different instrument systems, rather than seein the same setup everyday by working a maintaince job. By the way tell Mr. Duplantis hello my name is Cody Landry. I finished Sowela in 03 of August.

Reply - Report abuse

beautiful anna in Reserve, Louisiana

88 months ago

Cody Landry in Lake Charles, Louisiana said:

how much does a tech make a hour and would i make more money being a nurse or is the pay about the same

Reply - Report abuse

Ron on Vacation in Rockwood, Michigan

81 months ago

beautiful anna in Reserve, Louisiana said: how much does a tech make a hour and would i make more money being a nurse or is the pay about the same

Well, i work for Florida Power & Light (a union shop) and we make just over $33/hour. the environment is not the best but I have definately worked in worse. the hours are long if you are in Maintenance (about 60 hours/week on ave.) If you go into operations you will work 12hr shifts and have 15 days off per month with no overtime but you won't get any experience cause all of your time will be spent taking readings, cleaning filters, turnimg valves and such. oh and us in central maintenance we travel a lot. I spent over 200 nights in hotels last year. (35k in overtime)

Reply - Report abuse

Jonb in Sylvania, Ohio

77 months ago

beautiful anna in Reserve, Louisiana said: how much does a tech make a hour and would i make more money being a nurse or is the pay about the same

Up north in Ohio, with out electronics training your looking at anywhere from 25-30 a hour. With electronics training your looking at 35-40. As a nurse you will perform far more labor then a tech and not make as much money.

Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.