Current Intel Analyst needs career advice

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Angelofeventide in Glendale, California

23 months ago

I recently got laid off, along with 2/3 of my dept. from a large government contractor, due to the military budget cuts. I moved back to California, due to a sick parent and the fact that I like the area. I would want to stay in California if possible, to work in intel. My background is as a 35F Intel Analyst for 3 years and 2 years in the private sector as in Intel Analyst Instructor. I've had two tours of duty in Iraq as well. Despite the fact that I had more experience than most of the people my former employer kept on, what I was told was that my lack of having a Bachelors degree was what was holding me back – this despite having glowing reviews. Basically, they didn't care what your Bachelors was in, just that you had one. It's baffling to me that you can keep someone who essentially could have a BA in underwater basket weaving (tongue in cheek), but let go others with extensive intel and combat experience, just not a BA. I am now in the process of getting a BA in Management and will have that early next year.

Due to the lack of intel jobs out in CA, I have been thinking of getting an additional degree and specializing as a Cyber Intelligence Analyst, since some of my intel work involved cyber work, and seems to be a burgeoning field. My question is, if I decide to pursue this route, does anyone have an online school they would recommend for this? Also, as far as finding an intel job n

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Angelofeventide in Glendale, California

23 months ago

For some reason, this cut off the last part of my message. My last question was, does anyone have any advice on what more I could do to try and find an intel analyst job here in Southern California, other than what I'm already doing? Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.