DLPT translation score of 3 in Chinese Mandarin, no clearance

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

BrawndoMan in Seattle, Washington

49 months ago

A few months back I took the foreign language test battery for Chinese, Mandarin from a federal government agency, and got a "3" in the translation into English section, and a "pass" on the listening and reading comprehension tests. I think this was an older version of the test because the cover sheet dated it to the late 90s if I recall correctly, so I am not sure if this is 3 out of 5 or 3 out of 3. The people that tested me sent me a copy of the FLTB report of results, but they told me that they can only confirm the results if an official inquiry is made.

I also have an MA relevant to my language and 2 1/2 years of professional experience which involved translation as well as other stuff, but no military, law enforcement, federal government, etc. experience.

I am wondering if anyone can give me some leads on how to find federal or contractor jobs involving translation in my language. I imagine that IA is probably not a likely career track at this point without relevant experience or a clearance, but this seems like as good a place as any to ask. I am not necessarily looking to work in IA, but it seems like most of the jobs I see posted that are related to this specialty are for federal contractors, though most of them want people who already have clearance. One thing I have not been trying to find out is whether not there are recruiting/employment agencies that might be useful to someone like me.

Thank you for your help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

GL in Virginia Beach, Virginia

46 months ago

I am pretty much in the same situation and try to find a federal job that I can utilize my Chinese language skills. Do you get anything yet or do you have any suggestion?

46 months ago

Nothing. They all seem to want ex-military or intelligence linguists with clearance already. All the companies I see listing positions like this are trying to put together federal contract proposals and just want a list of people all ready to go, from what I can gather. It seems these contractors don't want to invest in training or sponsoring people for clearance, they just want the fast money. I have had dismal luck with this so far.

46 months ago

Nothing. They all seem to want ex-military or intelligence linguists with clearance already. All the companies I see listing positions like this are trying to put together federal contract proposals and just want a list of people all ready to go, from what I can gather. It seems these contractors don't want to invest in training or sponsoring people for clearance, they just want the fast money. I have had dismal luck with this so far.

KM in Dayton, Ohio

42 months ago

BrawndoMan in Seattle, Washington said: A few months back I took the foreign language test battery for Chinese, Mandarin from a federal government agency, and got a "3" in the translation into English section, and a "pass" on the listening and reading comprehension tests. I think this was an older version of the test because the cover sheet dated it to the late 90s if I recall correctly, so I am not sure if this is 3 out of 5 or 3 out of 3. The people that tested me sent me a copy of the FLTB report of results, but they told me that they can only confirm the results if an official inquiry is made.

I also have an MA relevant to my language and 2 1/2 years of professional experience which involved translation as well as other stuff, but no military, law enforcement, federal government, etc. experience.

I am wondering if anyone can give me some leads on how to find federal or contractor jobs involving translation in my language. I imagine that IA is probably not a likely career track at this point without relevant experience or a clearance, but this seems like as good a place as any to ask. I am not necessarily looking to work in IA, but it seems like most of the jobs I see posted that are related to this specialty are for federal contractors, though most of them want people who already have clearance. One thing I have not been trying to find out is whether not there are recruiting/employment agencies that might be useful to someone like me.

Thank you for your help!

I know of the current demand for critical languages in intelligence work, but what are the anticipated future critical languages?

And if you had to choose between Russian and French, which would you learn? (I'm thinking about the growing impact of Africa in global politics and the use of the French language there.)

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.