What are the best interactive project manager qualifications and training to get ahead?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

What is the best training for becoming an interactive project manager? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective interactive project manager?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

Yoli Hadeed in Allentown, Pennsylvania

76 months ago

requirements to become an interactive project manager

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JP in Winnipeg, Manitoba

76 months ago

Host said: What is the best training for becoming an interactive project manager? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective interactive project manager?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

PMI (Project Management institute) is a good place to look at certified training opportunities and get a good grasp of the basics of project management theory and practices. I worked through an odd career path: started as a contract HTML web developer, became a full time HTML developer, took one the role of project manager and worked through understanding of costing/pricing our services, then ended up managing the interactive division, then getting into sales support and new business development, and then have now gotten in product development and product positioning and strategy. Each hop was logical.

Cross training is critical to interactive project managers. If you have some business training and you know how to animate or edit video - this can be a great combo. If you have business skills in communication and you are a conceptual artist this can be another good place to start. I think it is critical to have lived through a few production projects - but once you have experience going through the project life cycle, you can begin making the transition to managing aspects of the project as opposed to only being a minor conrtibutor to the project.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

JB in Louisville, Kentucky

73 months ago

I feel into the Interactive Project Management role by chance. Still, a very diverse background is essential. I have a background in technical writing (HTML/CSS), Advertising, and business. All of which have been very helpful in understanding how to run a project from conception and costing- and all the way through to completion. Best advice I can give, keep your ears open, take every oppotunity to learn peoples roles and get to know your team members. Having an understanding of strengths and weakneeses is essential to putting together a productive team.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.