Why it's so hard to move to a different industry?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

kingfish in College Point, New York

60 months ago

I have been working in internal audit area for the past 10 years, three of which as an internal audit manager. I have served clients in almost all types of industries except financial services and insurance.

I have been trying to get into the financial services in the past couple of years. I told every recruiter that's willing to listen that I don't mind joining a financial service company as a senior or even staff internal auditor. I am also willing to lower my comp expectation.

However, so far I couldn't even get an interview not to mention a job offer.

Can anyone share some insight on why it's so difficult? Is the financial industry more difficult to audit than any other industries, therefore need more deep specialty knowledge and experience?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Experienced Auditor

58 months ago

kingfish in College Point, New York said: I have been working in internal audit area for the past 10 years, three of which as an internal audit manager. I have served clients in almost all types of industries except financial services and insurance.

I have been trying to get into the financial services in the past couple of years. I told every recruiter that's willing to listen that I don't mind joining a financial service company as a senior or even staff internal auditor. I am also willing to lower my comp expectation.

However, so far I couldn't even get an interview not to mention a job offer.

Can anyone share some insight on why it's so difficult? Is the financial industry more difficult to audit than any other industries, therefore need more deep specialty knowledge and experience?

Financial institutions are very easy to audit. Their audit departments are usually very well organized and the audit programs don't change very much.

The problem is you have 10 yrs of experience, 3 of which have been as a manager. Banks don't want to downgrade you thinking you will be unhappy. Plus, there are lots of younger talent out there that can fill the spot, not be as experience, can be molded to the company, and will not be smarter than their bosses. Bank auditing is very stiff. You would have more fun in some other industry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

kingfish in College Point, New York

58 months ago

Experienced Auditor said: Financial institutions are very easy to audit. Their audit departments are usually very well organized and the audit programs don't change very much.

The problem is you have 10 yrs of experience, 3 of which have been as a manager. Banks don't want to downgrade you thinking you will be unhappy. Plus, there are lots of younger talent out there that can fill the spot, not be as experience, can be molded to the company, and will not be smarter than their bosses. Bank auditing is very stiff. You would have more fun in some other industry.

Thanks, Experienced Auditor, this is very helpful info...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.