Moving on as an ex-electrician

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Ben in Bel Air, Maryland

97 months ago

I know a guy who was an electrician for 35 years. He was injured on the job and now has physical disabilities which hinder him from working in his customary trade. He can only do jobs that have him lifting 20 pounds or less, and he can't work on ladders or anything anymore. He's a good guy and I really want to see him get a fair shake in the job market. What types of positions would his training and knowledge make him eligible for and/or suited to? Are there any realistic options for this 58 year old man to make a weekly wage that is comparable to his pre-injury wage as a Journeyman Electrician?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

rltomkinson in Charles Town, West Virginia

58 months ago

Ben in Bel Air, Maryland said: I know a guy who was an electrician for 35 years. He was injured on the job and now has physical disabilities which hinder him from working in his customary trade.QUOTE]

I wish I had seen this earlier. He could look into jobs in safety or quality control. If he is good at laying out conduit runs, he could take an AutoCAD class and get into detailing/coordination. Good electrical coordinators are hard to find, but a lot of the larger contracts require them. A lot of coordination between the trades is even done in 3D now using AutoCAD MEP or Revit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.