My son is interested in becoming an electrician

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

Big Bob 258rf in West River, Maryland

68 months ago

Two schools iec and abc call any big electrical company they can you. iec school in oDENTON MD

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

dopchik in Las Vegas, Nevada

68 months ago

Go to the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) web site and find the nearest local in your area. -The BEST way to go!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Tim Kelley in Tulsa, Oklahoma

66 months ago

hat55 in Baltimore, Maryland said: What's the best way to get started? We do not see jobs listed for Electrician Helpers, and there doesn't seem to be any local training for Electrician.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

It really depends on the type of elelectrician he wants to be...industrial,commercial,residential,maintenance,linesman,etc. Schools are good for learning how to use the NEC code book(not memorize it but how to use it proficiently. But there is really no substitute for actual hands on experience.some locals call it apprentice electricians.And other electrical classes to consider once he breaks into the field could be found at local community colleges in vocational training is plc(programmable automated controls)...which is basiccally computer driven electrical systems in manafacturing facilities... and one more thing ,once he gets his break ..become a diverse electrician...learn the most he can about the different aspects of our trade....as someone wrote above ABC is an excellent program...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

electricians wife in Las Vegas, Nevada

66 months ago

honestly its a great skill to have but you have to make sure he is prepared for the unemployment. Its always up and down. My husband is currently unemployed and same with ALOT of his friends that he's met on job sites. Before he makes the step to becoming one that he knows that being an electrician means work isn't always constant. Its really hard to raise a family too.

To answer your question:
IBEW does theyre own training through the union. ABC is one and I think ICC does another.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

bp3 in Wadsworth, Ohio

61 months ago

Their are tens of thousands of electricians out of work resulting in the pay scale going backwards and future uncertain. Tell him to go to College or a Technical School and get an IT degree or something related to the medical field. That is what my son is doing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (33) Reply - Report abuse

sherrenee in Farmington, Arkansas

51 months ago

My husband is a Electrician. Arkansas requires 4 years of trade school (when he was going he went 4 hrs two nights a week) plus 8000 on the job hours, plus passing a test (to obtain your Commercial Journeyman's license).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Dan in Oakland, California

38 months ago

You should visit become-an-electrician.com. They talk about apprenticeship programs and where to apply in your area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Twentynine Palms, California

37 months ago

I find all this very interesting. I was advised by a friend to look into becoming an electrician after my retirement from the Marines. It's a hard transition into civilian life at this time with no real marketable skills except "good with my hands." I think I would enjoy this field and will continue to research it. Thank you for the comments.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

921am in Ann Arbor, Michigan

36 months ago

Not much work out there! Work 10 months then a year off, on going cycle

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Johnny in New York, New York

23 months ago

If you are going the electrician route, your best bet is to get an apprenticeship, usually lasting 2-3 years. There are also trade schools out there for electricians which you can find <a href="www.smartschoolfinder.com/guide/electrician-schools">http://www.smartschoolfinder.com/guide/electrician-schools</a> which are a good bet for learning in a formal setting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jowlt in Albuquerque, New Mexico

12 months ago

I noticed that the post is old but would still like to add my comment since some people might be looking for the same question and answer.

Since your son is interested to become an electrician. It's helpful that you know the requirements for becoming a licensed one. He needs to get a license and getting this license will differ in every state. Go to this website - www.electriciantraininginfo.com/, it has covered all process and requirements of becoming an electrician in all states.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jowlt in Albuquerque, New Mexico

1 month ago

Actually the link I had shared above is now invalid and the correct one is:

www.poweredelectrician.com/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.