the older journeyman electrician

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

anonymous in Miami, Florida

84 months ago

husband is layed off for 3 months. he finds it hard at this time to get a job because of the economy being at low point. when their is a job to apply for he gets the impression that no one wants him because of the age of 63. if anyone cares to reply, please do. he has experience of 15 years and i think it's a crying shame a skilled person such as he can't work a few more years and then retire.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

bruce gordon in Interlachen, Florida

73 months ago

It seems to be the way of the world. I'm 49 yrs. old with 27 yrs. exp. and sometimes feel the same way. The old train the young until they are no longer needed, Employers taking the cheap way out.Be patient there's someone out there that still needs skilled labor not jut hands.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

rick in Douglasville, Georgia

72 months ago

I am 55 and in the same boat I have been unemployed seen Nov.. I have put in 25 applications to companys in which I know I have the skills to do and no replys. It is very depressing and I have gone into a deep funk over it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

wkaz in Stoughton, Massachusetts

68 months ago

anonymous in Miami, Florida said: husband is layed off for 3 months. he finds it hard at this time to get a job because of the economy being at low point. when their is a job to apply for he gets the impression that no one wants him because of the age of 63. if anyone cares to reply, please do. he has experience of 15 years and i think it's a crying shame a skilled person such as he can't work a few more years and then retire.

I feel for you, being 49 and laid off and on over the last year 3 time's by different company's. Seem like for every job out there, there's too many applicant's. The greed of corporate America would rather have cheap help that conforms to sub standard work practice's. Until all electrician's smarten up and stick together the real talent will be lost. No wonder America's up for sale,we sell ourselves cheap. Smarten up it,s your name on the work, have a little respect for yourself and the time you put in to become a licensed professional. Sorry just had to vent. Good luck in your search. I'd hire aged experience before I'd hire young ignorance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bigmike in Port Saint Lucie, Florida

68 months ago

anonymous in Miami, Florida said: husband is layed off for 3 months. he finds it hard at this time to get a job because of the economy being at low point. when their is a job to apply for he gets the impression that no one wants him because of the age of 63. if anyone cares to reply, please do. he has experience of 15 years and i think it's a crying shame a skilled person such as he can't work a few more years and then retire.

If he's willing to travel, send him here

www.tradejobsforum.com/index.php?referredby=6

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

kroy in Denver, Colorado

59 months ago

keep your head up; the banks may start to release the money to build the projects soon. if you get a chance to get an interview maybe you could bring up the fact that your children are grown and you won't have to take off from work as much as a younger person due to sickness or personal problems this younger generation seem to come to work with. as a foreman on projects, i've noticed that my job had turned into a baby sitter; psychologist; marriage counselor just to keep the crew concentrating on tasks. they didn't like to work with this one they can't work with that one; it's a job not a popularity contest. just repect the knowledge of the next man and work!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

dover in Birmingham, Alabama

57 months ago

i have been out of work for several months ,i have 32 years experience,really need a good full time job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

dover in Birmingham, Alabama

57 months ago

32 year experience electrical journeyman needs a job near Birmingham

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.