Getting a juvenile probation officer job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 52)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Host

How did you get your start doing juvenile probation officer work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Job Search Dolphin in Tampa, Florida

84 months ago

Guide

Most probation officer positions require a Bachelor's Degree, at least from what I've seen in the state and Tampa Bay area postings. You can, without a degree, work in Juvenile Detention Centers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

hart0719 in Red Wing, Minnesota

84 months ago

I work in Minnesota as a juvenile agent. A bachelor's degree was essential and a college program that offers an internship opportunity is even more important. You may also want to look into attending conferencs to network with other people in the field. A number of the conferences offer scholorships to students, so you could potentially attend for free.

Our office looks for people who have experience specific to probation. We don't equate juvenile detention work as true experience even though there are similarities in the work.

Knowing a second language or having a specialized area of interest may also help you beat out the competition. Some areas you could look into would be sex offenders and chemical dependency.

Best of luck in your venture to become a juvenile probation officer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Charlie in Warrenville, South Carolina

84 months ago

Job Search Dolphin in Tampa, Florida said: Most probation officer positions require a Bachelor's Degree, at least from what I've seen in the state and Tampa Bay area postings. You can, without a degree, work in Juvenile Detention Centers.

Yeah but Tampa is a one horse town and hardly represents the rest of the country, Zeke. You are small potatoes in the world of business. The truth is that ALL law enforcement jobs where the person has authority of any sort require advanced education. It may be true that you worked at the Tampa juvenile faclity (while you were ecarcerated there perhaps?) without being educated but that doesn't represent the real world

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (41) Reply - Report abuse

Sue in Green Bay, Wisconsin

84 months ago

Man Charlie,
You have a problem. Do you sit on here just to insult Zeke? Unreal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Janely in San Mateo, California

77 months ago

im currently a high school student and i want to be a juvenile probation officer in the future.. im doing a project on the career i want to do.. i would like to know what experience do you need? internships? and how to you find out about internships? Also what is the starting salary and how often does the income change.?? this will be really helpful if someone could respond..thankyou

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

tracey hall in Cincinnati, Ohio

72 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing juvenile probation officer work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

i want to know what you need to be a proobation officer

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer Sheehan in Derry, New Hampshire

72 months ago

I want to become a probation officer in New Hampshire. I just have assoicate degree and cannot afford to pay for anoter school. Is there anyway that I can still become one. I am really interested in this field and I will do anything to become a probation officer. I have heard that you dont need a college degree but I dont know were to start then.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (74) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Joyce Wilson in Tifton, Georgia

72 months ago

I want to no can i do any juvenile probation officer work with associate degree .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (49) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

brittani hyatt in Mount Vernon, Ohio

71 months ago

i want to become a probation officer here in mount vernon and the best juvenile probation officer they have is jeremy payne i want him to teach me

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Ashley Edwards in Dublin, North Carolina

70 months ago

I am currently enrolled in criminal justice courses and would like to know what qualifications I need to become a juvenile probation officer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Cindy in Houston, Texas

70 months ago

I work in a Probation office. To be a probation officer here you need a Bachelor’s degree and one year experience or one year of master's work. Most officers here started as Detention Officers. It's a great job to get some connections and experience with in the system- and some $$. Most detention jobs start at about $13 an hour. All you need for that is a high school diploma. Then you can work there while getting your education. I know at least 6 people doing the same thing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Philip in London, United Kingdom

68 months ago

Hello everyone,
I'm very interested in coming over to work in the states, and hoping my qualifications in criminology would help me find a job there. Is there any advise, or websites that could help an overseas graduate like myself?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

student 2 student in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

68 months ago

Joyce Wilson in Tifton, Georgia said: I want to no can i do any juvenile probation officer work with associate degree .

Hi, In 2005 I graduated with my associates in Criminal Justice and I interned at the probation but I was told that I needed my BA to become a probation officer now 2 yrs later I will have my BA in may and take the examine for probation officer but sometimes it's not what you know it's who you know....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

flores in Stockton, California

66 months ago

Can you be a probation officer after you expunged your felony ? how can i find out ?

Host said: How did you get your start doing juvenile probation officer work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

sndjeghfjk in San Jose, California

66 months ago

where are the most probation officer jobs at?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

mark in Casselberry, Florida

64 months ago

brittani hyatt in Mount Vernon, Ohio said: i want to become a probation officer here in mount vernon and the best juvenile probation officer they have is jeremy payne i want him to teach me

listen if you only have a criminal justice degree can you get a job without having a b.s degree..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Angel in Sellersburg, Indiana

64 months ago

tracey hall in Cincinnati, Ohio said: i want to know what you need to be a probation officer
Why don't you Google salaries and requirements for a probation officer in the area you want to work. I know places differ from each other.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ROBBOBOB in Saint Paul, Minnesota

64 months ago

hart0719 in Red Wing, Minnesota said: I work in Minnesota as a juvenile agent. A bachelor's degree was essential and a college program that offers an internship opportunity is even more important. You may also want to look into attending conferencs to network with other people in the field. A number of the conferences offer scholorships to students, so you could potentially attend for free.

Our office looks for people who have experience specific to probation. We don't equate juvenile detention work as true experience even though there are similarities in the work.

Knowing a second language or having a specialized area of interest may also help you beat out the competition. Some areas you could look into would be sex offenders and chemical dependency.

Best of luck in your venture to become a juvenile probation officer.

I moved to minnesota in 1989 from new York city.I started with nothing and regrouped my life.I am a father to 2 boys and i have been selling automobiles.My passion is to work with kids that are troubled and its never to late to learn and work with kids who need direction

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Angel1978 in Jeffersonville, Indiana

64 months ago

I agree, I'm a mother of three boys and now currently working at a high School and attend college for criminal justice. I plan on working with troubled juveniles. I know you could work in a juvenile detention center with no college degree or maybe even a youth shelter. Your right it is never to late!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

kali cullins in Elcerrito, California

63 months ago

Hello my name is Kali Cullins.and I'm interested in being a probation officer.because i raised in a poor community and i feel that now that I'm older i wanted to give back to community by helping other who had A troubled life. and i been going to school for 3years at Bekeley City College I'm working On my AA right now But Hopely someday or soon i could become An probation Officer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

vacaluv@yahoo.com in Land O Lakes, Florida

59 months ago

can a become a probatin in the state of florida after i have been convicted of a crime?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

vacaluv@yahoo.com in Land O Lakes, Florida

59 months ago

Sorry, the previous question is suppose to read, Can I become a probation officer having a convictin felony?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Todd in Black Mountain, North Carolina

59 months ago

Most likely the answer will be no. I have looked in many states, and Felony convictions will disqualify you from being a probation officer everywhere I have looked. Especially if you are talking about working with juveniles. To be sure, contact your local probation department / Human resources for Florida and ask, but I would not get your hopes up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

mrz_gates04@yahoo.com in Remlap, Alabama

58 months ago

I live in Alabama, I am currently Enrolled in college, pursueing my Criminal Justice degree, My dream is to be a young womans detention officer to help them get their lives straight. Any information would be helpful, Much Thanks, Jessica Gates

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Leggo My Meggo in Warner Robins, Georgia

57 months ago

Philip in London, United Kingdom said: Hello everyone,
I'm very interested in coming over to work in the states, and hoping my qualifications in criminology would help me find a job there. Is there any advise, or websites that could help an overseas graduate like myself?

Philip, finding a job in the criminal justice system right now is very tough because of the economy. The States are experiencing a lot of lay offs and furloughs. If you are considering being a police officer or a corrections officer, I would contact the recruiters for that department and speak to them on the phone about your interest. They would be able to give you the best advice, especially if you are moving here from another country.

If you are dieing to move here, I would get a claims job in insurance first(Geico, Allstate, Progressive, State Farm.) This will give you a lot of experience with handling large case loads, interviewing, and negotiating. In the mean time, continuously apply for government jobs as they become available. They will really like your insurance background and desire to working in the criminal justice realm...just my 2 cents. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Philip in London, United Kingdom

57 months ago

Thanks for the advice Meggo' I've branched out into poltics so we'll see how that goes. Thanks again.

Regards,
Philipp

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Leggo My Meggo in Warner Robins, Georgia

57 months ago

Philip in London, United Kingdom said: Thanks for the advice Meggo' I've branched out into poltics so we'll see how that goes. Thanks again.

Regards,
Philipp

Philip -

Politics in the States? Or are you still in The UK?

Just curious. :)

Phil in Greenwich, United Kingdom

57 months ago

Thats cool. Politics in the UK, local government.

Me-off, Jack in Fredericktown, Ohio

56 months ago

brittani hyatt in Mount Vernon, Ohio said: i want to become a probation officer here in mount vernon and the best juvenile probation officer they have is jeremy payne i want him to teach me

Um excuse me, he is MY trainer! He shows me all trick and traits about juveniles! He is the coolest!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jewel in Tulsa, Oklahoma

55 months ago

mrz_gates04@yahoo.com in Remlap, Alabama said: I live in Alabama, I am currently Enrolled in college, pursueing my Criminal Justice degree, My dream is to be a young womans detention officer to help them get their lives straight. Any information would be helpful, Much Thanks, Jessica Gates

you dont need a degree to be a detention officer.. just a high school diploma and valid driver's license... im currently a detention officer in tulsa, ok... i only have a high school diploma n 2 yrs experience in a correctional facility...

Misty in Des Moines, Iowa

53 months ago

at least 4 years of school will be required

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mspatti in Mount Prospect, Illinois

53 months ago

I have my bachelors degree in special populations in which wants to be a probation officer. I took online classes and now I am wondering if it was a waste of time because I am always hearing about intern which I don't online classes provide. Where do i go from here was it a waste of time to take online classes. I chose online classes because I am a single mother with a small child. I need some guidance can someone please help.

chelly in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

51 months ago

im in college now for CJ in one of my classes i need 2 know when i would use email in this career

Cait in Pensacola, Florida

46 months ago

Yes, You need a four year degree in Criminal Justice. However, Social Work degrees are also looked highly upon.

jonh davis in San Bernardino, California

46 months ago

yes

Community Impact in Conyers, Georgia

42 months ago

Hello everyone,

I am interested in becoming a Juvenile Probation Officer. I will finally have my BA in 2/2012 and would like to know if this is enough to land this position. I have heard that a year of experience is needed in addition to a degree but I hope this isn't true. I really can't afford to accept a low paying job before I can work in my field of choice.

jrj100 in Mundelein, Illinois

42 months ago

sometimes you got to put up with a low paying job thats how you work your way up.... i work in a dcfs facility in mundelein il and i have a bachelors degree from western illinois. tough sh1t on your part you have to put in the petty man or woman hours to get the job you ultimately want it sucks but everyone should have to work their way up its only fair. i despise people who land their job right out of college and they dont even deserve it becaause they kiss a$$ or daddy or mommy knows somebody.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

susan in El Paso, Texas

41 months ago

Cindy in Houston, Texas said: I work in a Probation office. To be a probation officer here you need a Bachelor’s degree and one year experience or one year of master's work. Most officers here started as Detention Officers. It's a great job to get some connections and experience with in the system- and some $$. Most detention jobs start at about $13 an hour. All you need for that is a high school diploma. Then you can work there while getting your education. I know at least 6 people doing the same thing.

hi there
i was just wondering if you enjoy your position?whats the best part of your job and the worse? did you start off as a dentention officer?

Holden in Sacramento, California

41 months ago

kali cullins in Elcerrito, California said: Hello my name is Kali Cullins.and I'm interested in being a probation officer.because i raised in a poor community and i feel that now that I'm older i wanted to give back to community by helping other who had A troubled life. and i been going to school for 3years at Bekeley City College I'm working On my AA right now But Hopely someday or soon i could become An probation Officer.

Probation officers serve the court system, and as a consequence, must be desirous and able to write well. As evidenced by your comment, you MUST work on, and at least become proficient, in your written communicative abilities. Without a great deal of improvement in this area, work in the probation industry will simply not be attainable for you. Good Luck in your endeavors.

Elka in Saint Petersburg, Florida

38 months ago

As probation officers, and as a part of ordinary life, you will be writing reports. It would be well advised to learn how to write properly. This means proper grammar, capitalization, punctuation, clauses, etc. The reader must know EXACTLY what you are trying to express, and sometimes the placement of a punctuation mark, etc. can greatly change the meaning of the sentence. As a reader, there have been many times when I could only guess what the writer was trying to express. It is not the reader's job to guess what the message might be; it is the writer's duty to make the effort to be EXACT. This is also a measure of professionalism, and reflects on you and your credibility.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

ashywills3 in Garland, Texas

38 months ago

I am looking to become a juvenille probation officer next year in Dallas, Tx. However I am curretnly on probation for two felonies due to be released in March 2012. Will this affect my chances for employment?

Patrick in Tucson, Arizona

37 months ago

ashywills3 in Garland, Texas said: I am looking to become a juvenille probation officer next year in Dallas, Tx. However I am curretnly on probation for two felonies due to be released in March 2012. Will this affect my chances for employment?

Yes it is probable that you will not get hired. Keep in mind that you would be trusted to work with Juveniles that have been adjudicated on criminal charges. The do background checks on all applicants. Probably not what you want to hear but I am being honest. But, it's still worth a shot. You never know you just might get that job

Jennifer in Green Valley, Arizona

34 months ago

Charlie in Warrenville, South Carolina said: Yeah but Tampa is a one horse town and hardly represents the rest of the country, Zeke. You are small potatoes in the world of business. The truth is that ALL law enforcement jobs where the person has authority of any sort require advanced education. It may be true that you worked at the Tampa juvenile faclity (while you were ecarcerated there perhaps?) without being educated but that doesn't represent the real world

Law Enforcement does NOT equal 'the business world’. So your judgment of Tampa is an idiotic remark. The Tampa poster's stated that Probation Officers do require a degree so there was no need for you to clarify the "truth". The poster is completely accurate in saying that one can work in detention facilities without a DEGREE. There are many positions in a detention facility that do not require more than a HS diploma. Before you go off on a tangent berating someone’s posting, actually read what the person writes and respond to it intelligently. Not to mention that coming from Warrenville, South Carolina.....you're not exactly big potatoes either.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

ashywills3 in Garland, Texas said: I am looking to become a juvenille probation officer next year in Dallas, Tx. However I am curretnly on probation for two felonies due to be released in March 2012. Will this affect my chances for employment?

Most probation hiring processes let you know up front that a felony outright bars you from continuation. From experience only misdemeanors, on a case by case basis, are allowed.

However if you are allowed to apply, I honestly can not see other applicants without felonies or a criminal history being passed up for a convicted felon. Its hard enough for felons to get jobs in any occupation, much less one that can be a direct conflict of interest. Sort of like hiring a sex offender to be a teacher.

There are exceptions to all rules, but keep in mind the reality of your situation.

34 months ago

student 2 student in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Hi, In 2005 I graduated with my associates in Criminal Justice and I interned at the probation but I was told that I needed my BA to become a probation officer now 2 yrs later I will have my BA in may and take the examine for probation officer but sometimes it's not what you know it's who you know....

It is true. You should have made some connections while you interned. That's sort of the point of interning. Still, brush up on those interviewing skills and go for it.

Career AwarnessS in Modesto, California

34 months ago

I need to interview a "PAROLE OR PROBATION OFFICER" i need this questions answered pleasee its for my guidance class.

Questions:
1.What do you do during a typical day?
2.What do you like most about your job?
3.What do you like least about your job?
4.What preparation (education, training, experience) would you suggest for someone interested in entering this field?
5.Have you held previous jobs which were stepping stones to this one?
What were they?
6.How did you get a job in this field?
7.When did you realize this is what you wanted to do?
8.What obstacles have you overcome?
9.Do you have any specific advice that you would give to someone considering this field work?
10.What do you see to be the future of this field of work?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Combat Vet, receives Felony, expunged in Chattanooga, Tennessee

33 months ago

I dont get what you are trying to fathom it's at the Judges Direct discretion to Allow a Expungement!! He said he was a Felon, then a Mis. Then was later expunged!!
His question is, if my Felony was Expunged do I have a future in the Probationary field?
Your one quick hip thrown statement was not helpful, and was discouraging to any one trying to gain a future in this hard Nation of ours tonight so next time just hush your mouth.
An expungement is when all record of of the crime that you committed is permanently removed from your court Docket as a minute order, and in most cases sealed!! Second they usually don't expunge anyone that is a disgusting pee-pee toucher or a hardened criminal, I.E. Domestic Violence or Something in means of Assault, or Armed robbery.
I received 4 Felonies after I wen't after a person who robbed my Motorcycle from me. I CAME BACK FROM THE WARS IN Iraq and Afghanistan, I did 6 months in . When I showed the judge who I was 2 years later everthing was reduced then later expunged.
With that I THEN APPLIED TO WORK ON A Military Instillation where I had a background check and then some.I was able to carry a fire arm on a federal level, making $22 dollars an hour in the State of CA, IN THE City of Port Hueneme.More over never let anyone tell u what u can or can't do,within the Law, have heart good lucK

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

hazeldough in Clovis, New Mexico

31 months ago

Do you still need work experience if have associates and served in the military as law enforcement

Believer in Columbus, Ohio

31 months ago

vacaluv@yahoo.com in Land O Lakes, Florida said: Sorry, the previous question is suppose to read, Can I become a probation officer having a convictin felony?

Yes, you can! My sister was a drug addict and had petty & grand theft felonies, by faith the recovering rehad living assitance house she stayed in, later she ran the house to becoming the director of it. She has been clean for six years went to college with financial aid, received a associates degree in criminal justice, and just got sworn in as a probation officer, still working on her bachelor's. By faith, anything is possible and she is a testimony to that. She is now on the other side of the law and working as a vessel & evidence that one can change their lives and be a blessing to others helping by giving hope not a holding judgement. Society will tell you No, God will show you forgiveness & Yes, you can.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.