What do kennel technician's do?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

lilbuttercup173 in Hixson, Tennessee

77 months ago

I love animals and I'm looking into jobs that involve animals.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

misty ramey in Lexington, Kentucky

75 months ago

I HAVE ALWAY'S EVER SINCE I WAS ALITLE GIRL LOVED ANIMAL'S.I TREAT MY ANIMAL'S LIKE I WOULD MY CHILDREN, I GIVE THEM LOVE, SUPPORT, I CARE FOR THEM. I WOULD LOVE TO WORK IN AN ENVIROMENT WERE I COULD HELP MAKE AN ANIMAL LIFE BETTER. KNOWING EVERYDAY I GO TO WORK IS A DAY I HAVE ONCED AGAIN HELPED AN ANIMAL. I WOULD LOVE TO BE ABLE TO WORK WITH ANIMAL'S THAT WOULD BE MY DREAM COME TRUE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

deansuraci in Cornwall On Hudson, New York

75 months ago

Volunteer at your local animal shelter. They always need help for neglected and abandoned animals that are there. I feel like I should be telling a Jeff Foxworthy redneck joke right about now. "You know your a redneck if you hang your pets on the wall and...............". I'm sorry, just acting alittle silly tonight, at times the job search takes alot out of me. Good Luck with finding a well-paying and rewarding job in the animal field! I love animals myself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Brady Tyra in Mount Sterling, Kentucky

69 months ago

misty ramey in Lexington, Kentucky said: I HAVE ALWAY'S EVER SINCE I WAS ALITLE GIRL LOVED ANIMAL'S.I TREAT MY ANIMAL'S LIKE I WOULD MY CHILDREN, I GIVE THEM LOVE, SUPPORT, I CARE FOR THEM. I WOULD LOVE TO WORK IN AN ENVIROMENT WERE I COULD HELP MAKE AN ANIMAL LIFE BETTER. KNOWING EVERYDAY I GO TO WORK IS A DAY I HAVE ONCED AGAIN HELPED AN ANIMAL. I WOULD LOVE TO BE ABLE TO WORK WITH ANIMAL'S THAT WOULD BE MY DREAM COME TRUE.

Are you working with animals yet?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

KonaiNeto in Longmont, Colorado

53 months ago

Well, in case you haven't found a job as a kennel tech yet and would like to know what they do, a general job description is: they are responsible for feeding, providing water for, and cleaning up after animals, cleaning out kennels, walking and grooming animals, sometimes giving animals medications and vaccinations, both by pill and injection, and recording information about animals, such as breed, weight, height, medications or vaccinations they have received, or past illnesses, and (depending on where you work) the animals general behavior. After that, it all depends on where you work. Obviously, some places will have different expectations, but the above is what I have found is the general job description for a kennel technician. Please be aware of the fact that most of your job is feeding, providing water for, and cleaning up after animals, and cleaning out their kennels. You do not get to spend a whole lot of time playing, or even truly interacting, with animals. But you do get to care for animals and help better their lives. If that's what you're looking to do, then go for it! If it's not, I'd suggest you find employment at something along the lines of an animal daycare center, where you get to interact with the animals more. I hope this was helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

joe in Decatur, Georgia

2 months ago

I have to disagree with the statement that you do not spend time interacting with the pets. If you aren't, then you aren't doing a good job. I have been a kennel tech for seven years and cleaning up after a pet is the least I do. A huge part of my job is socialization. I calm scared pets. I snuggle with kitties. I love on every pet that is in my care. I transport all pets to/from clients, rooms, surgeries, grooms, etc. I assist with restraint for procedures, and I even hold pets while they are being euthanized. So, I physically interact with every single pet that is at our hospital. A lot of the pets who board with us get so excited when they see me that they forget their parents are still there. If you don't love pets, you don't want to be a kennel tech. But if you are a kennel tech and you aren't interacting with the pets, you are in the wrong job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.