Kindergarten Job Share

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

Seajay in Bainbridge Island, Washington

90 months ago

The general consensus around here is that job sharing is fine for grades 2 and above, but not OK for Kindergarten. Do you have any thoughts for me to share with the school administration to convince them that it can work successfully at the K level?

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Katrina in Ypsilanti, Michigan

87 months ago

I have been job-sharing for two years now at the K level. It has been a great success. The students become adjusted to both teachers. It is quite easy for them because they have had little school expereince prior to kindergarten, therefore two teachers is normal. Plus, the students recieve a teacher who is fresh and ready to go everyday of the week, no burn-out.
Anyway, it has worked out well for me. Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

KP in Kelseyville, California

82 months ago

I have job shared in K as well. My first experience was disasterous as the other teacher did not want me as her partner but the principal did. My partner could not let go of her anger at not getting the partner she wanted and proceeded to make my time at school hell. In contrast, I have begun a new K job share with a teacher who is caring and wonderful and has turned into a close friend. I teach MTW and she teaches TH F. We keep a communication log and call each other, do conferences together and back to school nights, etc. If you have a conscientious professional partner it is a wonderful way to go. I just met two teachers who job shared in K for 20 years. They both had small children at the time, as my teaching partner and I do, and it was a positive experience for them and their students. I am surprised that your district does not think K is a good place for a job share because in reality it is the perfect place.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jen in Chester, Vermont

79 months ago

I am trying to get some information on job sharing at the kindergarten level. Could anyone offer some information on a working model? Is there any research to suggest that it does work at the kindergarten level? Thanks so much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Katrina in Ypsilanti, Michigan

79 months ago

Consistancy is the key. Working with a partner takes communication between everyone invovled. It is important to keep the adminstration staff informed of work schedules.
Good luck. It is worth the extra time put into the classroom when you can have the opportunity to stay home part time.

diane in Jacksonville, Florida

55 months ago

Katrina in Ypsilanti, Michigan said: I have been job-sharing for two years now at the K level. It has been a great success. The students become adjusted to both teachers. It is quite easy for them because they have had little school expereince prior to kindergarten, therefore two teachers is normal. Plus, the students recieve a teacher who is fresh and ready to go everyday of the week, no burn-out.
Anyway, it has worked out well for me. Good Luck.

Are you still job sharing your K position? I work at a private school and really want to try it next year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

K in Ypsilanti, Michigan

55 months ago

Yes Actually I am in my fifth year at a job share. I work for a public school and they have worked well with my needs. The one drawback has been that I am now working with my third partner. It turns out in this economy not many people can work part-time for a long period of time. I wish you luck. Send me another email if you have more questions. I am willing to try to help you out.

diane in Jacksonville, Florida

55 months ago

What kind of work schedule do you have? I was thinking of MW and TTH and overlapping Wednesday lunch time to share what is going on. How do the parents feel about it? I am sure that the kids are fine with it... getting someone who is fresh and not burnt out :). I am going to talk to a few people about it during my spring break this week.

Okaras in Ozimek, Poland

10 months ago

mykindergarten.co.uk - What do you think about this? Is it good idea to invest in such services?

Tegers in Katowice, Poland

9 months ago

Hmm I think it is. Such things as CMS programs, or recrutation system are good idea.

Okaras in Chorzów, Poland

9 months ago

Thanks for the answer. Now I know that I should definitely buy it.

Kahs in Polska, Poland

8 months ago

I also think that those services are good.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.