Getting ahead...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

Host

What is the best training for becoming a hirable kitchen manager? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective kitchen manager?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

EGGNOG46 in Austin, Texas

80 months ago

The first thing you need is the Serve Safe Certification. This will answer alot of your questions and start to get the ball rolling for yourself when wondering what are some of the keynote problems and systems that all kitchens need to have in place in order to function with good sanitation, SAFETY, organization and good MANGEMENT.
This is found on-line, @ www.servesafe.com, takes 16 hours in a class room setting or the online version is ok if you have worked in a kitchen before.
The next thing I would suggest is to hold a position as cook in a leading change restaurant for at least 3-6 months. The best thing to get you foot in the door is start as the dishwasher because even if your the MANAGER you will have to troubleshoot the dishmachine if it breaks down or there is no dishwasher. In addition when your doing your prep you will need to wash your pans etc. This way you will get a feeling of what your staff is up against and what you will have to do in addition to all your mgmt. duties. It will have you great insight into what type of cooks you will need to hire when you have a vacancy. When you do get your foot in the door and your put on the line in a station, do not stop learning. When you are given an opportunity to learn a new station jump on it. In addition when your station is slow watch the other people in their stations, learn all the recipes and how to do prep. The more you know the more valuable you become. This in turn will open you up to being able to be scheduled in hard to fill spots. As we all know there is a tremendous turnover. What shifts you need and want today may be your dream job tomorrow by being flexible today. Once your in the kitchen ask about the manangement training program, that way you can save yourself 50k on Culinary school.
Good Luck!!!!!!!1

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Robert Stone in Apo

77 months ago

I would like to know at what temperature is it no longer safe to serve cold lunch meats such as sliced bologna,turkey,roast beef,salami ,and corned beef at a cold sandwich bar in a military or other fast food service establishment. Also is any of the items considered phf items?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

saidena in Jacksonville, Florida

75 months ago

Robert Stone in Apo said: I would like to know at what temperature is it no longer safe to serve cold lunch meats such as sliced bologna,turkey,roast beef,salami ,and corned beef at a cold sandwich bar in a military or other fast food service establishment. Also is any of the items considered phf items?

the last time i checked all foods must be placed on a bed of ice therefore the meat in a pan and another pan of ice underneath the pan of sliced meat, for a max. of 2 hours. if it is left out longer than that then the food s damaged! that is alll that i can say, i have not taken culinary arts yet i will be soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jose in Atlanta, Georgia

68 months ago

Robert Stone in Apo said: I would like to know at what temperature is it no longer safe to serve cold lunch meats such as sliced bologna,turkey,roast beef,salami ,and corned beef at a cold sandwich bar in a military or other fast food service establishment. Also is any of the items considered phf items?

the key is to remember - under 40 degrees, and over 140 degrees. stay away from in between those temps.hope that helps!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

christal in Lees Summit, Missouri

67 months ago

i would like to know whay you have to go through to become a kitchen manager. like the jobs whether it is stating off with being just the dishwasher. i know the education requirments and stuff but do you do to reach the kitchen manager

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tin Man in York, Maine

67 months ago

The Serv Safe Cert. is very easy to get. My employer actually paid for 3 of us to get the class taken care of. It will teach you everything from microscopic organisms, to training and hands on management skills. It also covers all the "unanswered questions" you may have about foods, shelf life, preperation, sanitation, etc. Very essential to start your career/job as a kitchen manager. I dont have a degree in culinary arts, but i do have 10years experience as a cook/chef if you will in a variety of different kitchens. Aim for this certification, it will give you a great base of knowledge to build your skills as a kitchen manager or chef.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

kell in Detroit, Michigan

50 months ago

I have received my culinary skills certificate recently im about a semester away from receiving my associates in culinary applied science i already have my serve safe certificate what would b the best way to promote myself?

Mike in Corry, Pennsylvania

9 months ago

In the Nursing Home facilities as well as other places, it seems the CDM (Certified Dietary Manager) is a desired credential which helps in hiring. I do have the CDM. I just received an offer for a position in a nursing home at 32k/year for a 140 bed facility. << The ANFP Salary Survey data suggested the median as quite a bit higher (~40-45k/year depending upon experience, education, etc) so I do not know if this is on the bottom tier of the profession.

I also agree with getting experience cooking. This is the best experience to have. If you can show you have demonstrated culinary skills, you don't have to worry about paying for the culinary education.

To become eligible for the CDM there are four paths. I do believe one needs to get at least an associate degree in Nutrition Management. I recommend getting it CHEAP at a school if you go. With this being said, many jobs in the nursing home it seems only requires a high school diploma with experience working in the setting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Zac Parker in Austin, Texas

9 months ago

To become a kitchen manager, one of the best traits to have is leadership, because you typically will have to delegate tasks to your employees daily, including preparing food and cleaning the kitchen.
Since, many restaurants only request a high school diploma. So, choosing a culinary school is a good idea. Also, if you wish to get a broader education, you may consider getting a four-year degree at a university, in which case you can either major in a related field or simply take some cooking classes. Taking culinary courses at a community college also may be helpful for you to become a kitchen manager, even if you do not ultimately get a degree.
Apart from this, you will need a passion for food, plus experience in a professional kitchen, running your own section before you can become a kitchen manager or head chef. The main way to achieve this is by working your way up from kitchen assistant to trainee chef, then section chef and manager/head chef. Also, you may be able to get into this job through an Apprenticeship scheme.
Source: bit.ly/1aYRoAL

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.