Anyone doing Excelsior College's LPN-RN program?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1301 to 1350 of 1450)
Page:  « First « Previous   24  25  26  27  28  29  Next »   Last »

DeeDee619 in San Diego, California

18 months ago

I am moving along I think I will take you up on your offer...I will touch basis with you by Jan 1st 2013

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Linda in Muskegon, Michigan

18 months ago

DeeDee619-just call me if you need more info on the workshop--check out the website, my # is posted there---cpne of michigan---we will talk soon. Linda

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Crissie R in Wakata, Washington

18 months ago

Linda in Muskegon, Michigan said: DeeDee619-just call me if you need more info on the workshop--check out the website, my # is posted there---cpne of michigan---we will talk soon. Linda

So Linda - I checked your website and I am still not clear. Are you a graduate of the Excelsior ADN program and did you take the CPNE? You website states you are a BSN grad and you took a couple of workshops, it doesn't really say if you actually passed the CPNE - I'm just trying to clarify...Thanks.

18 months ago

So is anyone else studying for chronicity exam? I am using studygroup101 - passed Transition to Registered nurse, Health safety, Health difference with them and books from the library. I have lisa arends (larends) cd also butit's really dated from like 2005 and not very helpful at all - not recommending that one.

Will be moving to ok in spring so I really like that I don't have to drop and reenroll and can study from anywhere, so far an awesome program.

also is anyone going on for their BSN through excelsior - I'm interested in your opinion on the program. Chrissie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

18 months ago

Nursebrad in Lake Arrowhead, California said: Lisa arrend notes are a compilation of just facts.. I wouldn't pay for them. Good luck Brad RN

I agree!

18 months ago

KassieLPN2RN in El paso, Texas said: I'm using StudyGroup101 (they are on eBay and their website is www.studygroup101.com ) - less than $10 bucks per course - and really the BEST study notes you can get, even better than The College Network! You can print the study guides and practice questions to take with you to work. I've done micro, ANP, Religions, Ethics and Human Growth, Info Lit and 4 nursing exams - I've passed them all so far!! They took me 5 months for the general exams and I've done 4 nursing exams in 4 1/2 months. At that pace I'll be through the program in about 1 year. Oh yeah, I didn't officially enroll until I'd done my general courses, just in case it takes a year for the nursing ones I won't have to pay the yearly fee.

I read somewhere that you can get English Comp easier & cheaper through penn foster college and that EC accepts that. Take Penns Info Lit (Eng103?) for $115 instead of EC at nearly $300 it can be done in a day or two. You can do Psych & Soc and several other CLEP and DSST exams for much less than ECs courses. I took Human Growth in place of Life Span Development & Ethics & Religions (CLEP/DSST exam). Once you get into the Nursing courses you should be able to do one every 1-2 months. I only studied for Transition to Professional nurse for 1 week and got an A - no books I might add!! Also get the EC practice exams for each course - they are like the actual exams,so you can get a feel for what type of questions you'll get on the real exams.

Thank you, this is excellent advice. I need developmental psych and history so I might try the clep ones.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

18 months ago

RH in Fayetteville, North Carolina said: I went to Mansfield inn 2010. I would say be prepared. There were people there that did not pass. I passed the first time. But , I knew every detail of the study guide, I did go to workshops. I failed the first time in Wisconsin. It is not easy. I passed the NCLEX easily after the CPNE. But, study. YOu never know who your CE's and CA will be, one weekend everyone may pass and the next only 4-5. I was in Mansfield with two guys it was their third time. I saw them leave one very distressed, the other, did not say one word.

It is a test. Study, it will only help you be sure, practice. The CPNE workshop is good to help you know what is expected. There are others SheriTaylorCPNE.com in Georgia is an excellant resource. However Georgia does not recognize Excelsior College . But Grady Hospital in Georgia has the clinicals. Practice Practice , Practice ROB's CPNE . COM if money is tight has videos, ebooks and practice information online. He uses mneumonics and a grid to help you remember. Order the CPNE practice kit , do the online workshops. DO not go blindfolded. You can pass. But remeber if one person thinks it is easy, it might be because they were prepared. IF the next one says it was hard. Ask how much did they prepare for the CPNE? Practice makes perfect. Your state board of nursing will list school out of state they accept, it only a phone call away. Best wishes

Thank you, Excellent advice

imgladitsover in Cape Coral, Florida

18 months ago

I have books and study guides for anyone interested for Excelsior College if you are looking for them.

justlib22 in Moses Lake, Washington

18 months ago

imgladitsover in Cape Coral, Florida said: I have books and study guides for anyone interested for Excelsior College if you are looking for them.

i am intrested in the workbook practice test questions and study guide for Lifespan 1. my books were stolen from my work place and this is the last test i need before FCCA. i have the CD and text books but looking for the practice tests in the work book.i will be looking into the studygroup101 stuff also. and after reading a lot of these post, i will be finding a worksohop. are there any workshops in Washington state? or is it done online also? any info will help. Thanks in advance!

18 months ago

Crissie R in Washington, I am an Excelsior graduate -I took my clinical in Mansfield Ohio and passed first time. I am planning another workshop in March. I have a 4 day workshop with plenty of hands on practice. If you have questions -please feel free to call me. I am home in the mornings. I did take a couple workshops myself--One was a waste of my time and money--the second one was exceptional, but it is closed now--I use that experience to teach my workshop. I have small classes, because i want to make sure everyone gets the practice they need. Linda

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

18 months ago

I have a workshop in Michigan and the next is scheduled for March--go to cpne of michigan to look at the site. Good luck to all in their studies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

18 months ago

shullie in Houston, Texas

18 months ago

I started aug 2011 and all i have left is the cpne. I used mystudygroup 101,printed everything, took mystudygroup 101 practice tests and Excelsior's practice test. There isnt much info out there on the fcca and that is what may get you. It isn't hard just very tricky, and will frustrate you till no end. When u get to the cpne expect to be put via the hoops as well if you don't have proof of all your childhood immunizations. They will make you get all of them dollars bover, and the mmr is a 2 shot series that requires time between the 2, and they will not let you get a date until the series is done. I've learned allot in the program
But they are extreme money hungry and will not talk to u if you have any fiscal holds. I paid $2100 for my cpne and because i was $86 behind on the yearly fees they wouldn't talk to me

18 months ago

Crissie in Washington- I am sorry you are dissapointed with my web site, There are not many workshops out there that have hands on. if you want more information -just call me. I suggest you go to a workshop someplace-if not mine then go to another, but by all means go to one--If you want qualifications--maybe you should check other workshops and find out if the instructors went to Excelsior college at all--some have not. YES! I am an Excelsior grad in 2010. I work a full time job as a nursing supervisor and have a teaching degree also--as far as this being a forum-there seem to be alot of people on this site who are looking for a workshop, I just give them my website-everyone has a choice--maybe after you graduate--you should start one--just saying.

18 months ago

hate to say it but the immunization dates are for you to fill out and they dont ask for any proof. You can say you had them and it you would get a date. also, i did the FCCA at home and sent in and it really wasnt hard at all. its not really something you can fail unless you are really clueless, but i had time to call friends to understand what they wanted so i dont know how it is to do online. Lastly, dont ANYONE do CPNE without a workshop. you are asking to lose a lot of money you will have to come up with again, along with doing a workshop because after losing over $2500 you will not go unprepared a second time. Lastly, they are very MONEY HUNGRY. Its really the basis of this program is for them to rack up money.

18 months ago

shullie in texas-I think you have me confused with somone else- I never said anything about any imunizations or the fcca, or the cost of the cpne--Linda

shullie in Houston, Texas

18 months ago

To Imgladitsover: wow you have made some very ugly comments to me. I'm not a wanna be RN sweety, I will be one!! You said You hope I don't pass..wow again, you're showing your disrespect,ignorance, and prudence from nurse to student nurse. I'm not not going to stoop to your ignorance, so God bless you and I pray you never have to take care of my loved one or myself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

18 months ago

this coming from the "get it right" and im a better nurse. Whatever. You would be a horrible nurse as you cant respect others in a public forum which doesnt say much for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Debbye in Arlington, Texas

18 months ago

David in Los Angeles, California said: I am a travel LPN currently, and work in CA quite often, (which I am in now). I am getting ready to take my first test. I have read the book several times, and awnsered the questions at the end of the book, any sugestions on taking the test ?

What company do you travel with

GayleTraver@aol.com in Des Moines, Iowa

17 months ago

Amy in Saint Cloud, Minnesota said: I just recently graduated and passed my boards as an LPN. I have talked with Excelsior and I am just wondering if there is anybody who has done the program and is working as an RN. I am curious how many people are doing this route.
If this is something that you have done I would greatly appreciate a response letting me know how it went and if you are working as an RN now.

I am just getting ready to start..........did you get your RN?

GayleTraver@aol.com in Des Moines, Iowa

17 months ago

Annie in Palm Harbor, Florida said: Thank you for your comment. I am waiting for my clinical date with Excelsior and have a high regard for Excelsior. I have enquired in most states (except CA and NY) for travelling jobs and ALL of them cannot wait until I am an RN to offer a position. Go Excelsior!

Did you pass the clinical? Did you think it was hard? I am getting ready to start and just scared to death.

Thanks,

Gayle

ctcpete in Brick, New Jersey

17 months ago

Hi,

I recently found this site. I'm an EC student in NJ. Licensed LPN.

I'm looking forward to my cpne (well "looking forward" sounds too pleasant,how about "preparing myself"?). I have a few more EC classes to go. Working on LS1 now.

I have heard of a nurse who worked for EC for 18 years and holds cpne seminars in her house. Anyone with contact info? It may have been imgladitsover who mentioned her in a previous post.

Good luck everyone and thanks.

punix0583 in Horseheads, New York

17 months ago

I am available in ny when u are ready, will providectestimonuals

Kay in Schenectady, New York

16 months ago

//I did all 8 exams in 12 weeks.//
This is the problem with these quick routes to getting the RN degree. Too many people come out of school and have no assessment skills and think they are a real nurse when they are not. How many lungs have they listened to. Can they tell an urgent from a non urgent situation? I understand why some hospitals and states do not accept EC grads. They only seem to have technical skills. The EC program seems to be terrible.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

Annie in Palm Harbor, Florida said: Thank you for your comment. I am waiting for my clinical date with Excelsior and have a high regard for Excelsior. I have enquired in most states (except CA and NY) for travelling jobs and ALL of them cannot wait until I am an RN to offer a position. Go Excelsior!

You cannot be a travel nurse without acute care doing assessments. You need to gt acute care first. Hope you did that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

Before you take a travel assignment, get some exp under your belt, u can be thrown any where, hence college gets a bad name, you need more critical thinking, aassessments etc, ekg, iv insertion etc.

pete in Brick, New Jersey

16 months ago

Kay in Schenectady, New York said: //I did all 8 exams in 12 weeks.//
This is the problem with these quick routes to getting the RN degree. Too many people come out of school and have no assessment skills and think they are a real nurse when they are not. How many lungs have they listened to. Can they tell an urgent from a non urgent situation? I understand why some hospitals and states do not accept EC grads. They only seem to have technical skills. The EC program seems to be terrible.

Well that is a positive and uplifting post. I find your response to be "terrible" and showing a lack of insight,IMHO. I have had traditional nursing training in LPN school. Instructors give hints "know this" etc and then lots of quizzes and chapter tests. Piece of cake almost. With that said 1/2 of my class quit or flunked out. With EC, towards the end (the LS tests)you are given huge amounts of information to learn, many med surg and pharm chapters, and then one test at the end for the course. Each test is like an NCLEX. You have to be disciplined and a self starter. Many of us have families, work etc on top of it.

Those who say they do the courses in a short time are either very experienced from working as an LPN, are some kind of genius, maybe study 20 hrs a day or are full of it in general. Just my opinion. For the LS tests if one is diligent about learning the subject it takes time. My method is no "quick route" for sure.

I did have a lot of clinical training in our LPN program and I agree that there is no substitute. It is one of my concerns, with that said, the CPNE test which is the EC clinical aspect has a very high failure rate, no walk in the park. When I come out my goal is to pay my dues as a new nurse and apply the same work ethic I've used in my nursing career and previous career.

My wife is a nurse and she works with EC grads and they are as good and in some cases (like mean spirited, unhappy, miserable for whatever reason nurses) better.

JOBLESS in Taunton, Massachusetts

16 months ago

I agree clinical contact with patients is so important and more realistic. I have nothing against nurses who continue with online education but you miss the learning experience of 1:1 anyone can be book smart and get all A's but when reality hits and your on the floor with someone who is in flash pulmonary edema hands on and clinical experience ARE A BIG ASSET!!!!!!!!!!

16 months ago

Agree,

16 months ago

And I have spent time as an LPN student on the floor with RN students who where allowed to do next to nothing. We did the heavy lifting and all the direct pt care including what some would consider the "dirty" jobs, I consider it paying my dues, I'm kind of old school that way. Of course I am sure each program and situation is different.

So how does a new nurse get this valuable hands on experience? Everyone had to start somewhere.

Like I said my LPN program was very good, highly rated and most local facilities welcomed us for clinicals, we did a lot of hands on, caths etc. Run by some tough as nails veteran nurses who quickly weeded out the rif raff. Since graduating I have concentrated on getting my RN. Had a few full time offers right away but I knew I would never get my RN if I went that route and all the local RN programs had waiting lists a mile long. The only program my instructors would recommend was EC.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks in advance.

16 months ago

Kay the ec program is a disciplinary centered program. I did not take a quick fix, i may be an exception to the rule, i was an lpn in a hosp for yrs, having said that you have to volunteer and or seek out your own study plsn, it is not for the weak of heart. On the intrrnet NCBSN thry are many learning tools, the local comm. College is another avenue to gain knowledge. Traditional school you get an opportunity to observe, i have ovrr the years met BSN students that NEVRR inserted a foley, started sn iv, know how to receive report etc, this is basic training . If u live in new york i can help

ANNIERRT_NPS in Belmar, New Jersey

16 months ago

ctcpete in Brick, New Jersey said: Hi,

I recently found this site. I'm an EC student in NJ. Licensed LPN.

I'm looking forward to my cpne (well "looking forward" sounds too pleasant,how about "preparing myself"?). I have a few more EC classes to go. Working on LS1 now.

I have heard of a nurse who worked for EC for 18 years and holds cpne seminars in her house. Anyone with contact info? It may have been imgladitsover who mentioned her in a previous post.

Good luck everyone and thanks.

Pete,
I singled you out based on location alone. I am very interested in starting Excelsior using the bridge RRT-RN program, but after reading through this website it sounds like the CPNE at the end is a scary prospect.
Like you I have plenty of bedside experience in ICU/ER, and have my BS in Respiratory Care/Cardiopulmonary disease, but it seems Respiratory Therapy is a waning field so I thought I might be a good fit for Excelsiors program, and was wondering if you have found any issues such as (necessary clinical hours) and such that the NJ Board of Nursing requires?
Would you be willing to keep in touch with me about your CPNE - any workshops you took, etc, etc. I could use a buddy if I decide to take this road.
Thanks so much,
Annie

16 months ago

i agree with other posts, you really have no clue what your talking about when it comes to the ECC program. if you have completed it you must be a self starter with impeccable planning and studying skills. we do not get a group participation grade, quiz grade, project grade, or showing up grade!! We have one test that tests on the core knowledge and we have to pass, all in a self study and preparation aspect that doesnt give us dates or times to be done. Our clinical hours are done in LPN class, which is why this program is even available. The CPNE at the end assures that we know our assessments, and lets face it, they arent rocket science. To boot, you didnt know one lung sound from the other until you were on the floor 24-7 to learn as we did. Don't hate us because we are superior in course and academic levels. Marvel at our endurance and culpability!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

Well said imgladitsover. I just don't get why some people are so mean spirited. Life is too short for such nonsense and I believe in karma and just being a nice guy as much as possible. I believe any kindness done returns to you one day.

I hope I can say regarding EC one day.."I'm glad its over" ha ha after passing of course. BTY, did you get my e mail I sent yesterday?

I also went to the first page of this thread and read some troubling stuff. One thing for sure now I really want to over prepare for the cpne.

And ANNIERRT, feel free to contact me anytime. I don't think you have to be an LPN to start the EC course although that is a common scenario. From what I know, NJ does not require any additional clinical hours, at least for LPNs. I'd contact one of the EC advisers and ask some questions. And maybe the board of nursing in NJ too. I'm surprised that respiratory therapy is a waning field, had no idea. I've learned a bit in my time doing the pre reqs and EC classes and also belong to an EC yahoo group or two.

If you want to reach me, feel free. I'm not sure of a good way to exchange e mails here, I've heard that it's not good to post your e mail in a public forum..spam bots can flood your inbox and I don't think we can do a PM here either.

16 months ago

Clinical training is not assessment skills. EC is basically a testing out center for those who cannot be bothered with returning to a traditional school. Wish some can just admit it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

punix0583 in Horseheads, New York said: Kay the ec program is a disciplinary centered program. I did not take a quick fix, i may be an exception to the rule, i was an lpn in a hosp for yrs, having said that you have to volunteer and or seek out your own study plsn, it is not for the weak of heart. On the intrrnet NCBSN thry are many learning tools, the local comm. College is another avenue to gain knowledge. Traditional school you get an opportunity to observe, i have ovrr the years met BSN students that NEVER inserted a foley, started sn iv, know how to receive report etc, this is basic training . If u live in new york i can help

A school with that many complaints and which gives you no assessment skills should not be charging 2ooo bucks. A BSN programs have you on the floor for a full day for a month! This allows you see many different types of skills and patients needing different levels of care

16 months ago

No it is not, but very important

16 months ago

UNfortunately this forum is supposed to be for people to help each other. Your attacks at a school you would never have been able to do are sad as some of us worked harder than you had to in order to get the same degree. Can we stick to actually helping the people on the site that are looking for answers, and if you have never done the Excelsior Program why are you even in this conversation?

16 months ago

i dont think i got your email so send it again to crazycool8@yahoo.com

nynurse in Hyde Park, New York

16 months ago

Kay in Schenectady, New York said: Clinical training is not assessment skills. EC is basically a testing out center for those who cannot be bothered with returning to a traditional school. Wish some can just admit it.

I gotta agree with you there. When I was an LPN, I tried Excelsior & did really well on all the exams. But there is no substitute for actual hands-on clinical learning. Thats why California doesnt allow Excelsior graduates to have a CA RN license, sorry to say. I ended up going to a two year college for my degree.

16 months ago

imgladitsover in Cape Coral, Florida said: AKA you couldnt hack it!!

I am an RN just like you are. I just took the traditional route.

16 months ago

Why don't you 'hack it'. Is that nursing language?

16 months ago

@imgladitsove

Sorry about that hack it comment. Thought it was for me. :)

DeeDee619 in San Diego, California

16 months ago

Amy in Saint Cloud, Minnesota said: I just recently graduated and passed my boards as an LPN. I have talked with Excelsior and I am just wondering if there is anybody who has done the program and is working as an RN. I am curious how many people are doing this route.
If this is something that you have done I would greatly appreciate a response letting me know how it went and if you are working as an RN now.

I say go for it you have nothing too loose and all to gain...

16 months ago

Amy it has it's risks. A friend of mine did it and passed. She was from GA so had to take the boards in another state. Just be aware of what you are getting into.

16 months ago

I went to Dutchess Community College in Poughkeepsie, NY after trying Excelsior. I graduated with honors & passed the NCLEX on the first try. Hows that for hacking it?

16 months ago

Very sad, I am used to other forums where people are pretty nice. The problem with the internet at times is the anonymous nature, with troubled or angry people I do better interacting in person. I would take everything here with a big grain of salt, that said there are some who I do think are being honest.

I have read back to all previous messages pages and pages and I now realize that this forum has all sorts of folks, some very angry, or some who take some strange pleasure in being negative or have an agenda to push. I could speculate why but who cares?

I am not an employee, I am a student who is about 2/3s through the classes. I can't go back to the beginning and make another decision, actually EC was the only way for me to do the RN route (many reasons). I have commited to EC. Reading all the negatives about the CPNE is somewhat frightening but has also served to strengthen my resolve to pass so thanks for all those scary posts ha ha.

For those considering EC, do your homework, don't do the college network etc, you can buy there stuff if you really want it (some like the info) on e bay, don't sign any contracts, just my opinion. Read all the other posts, only 28 pages!

For those who would do better in a classroom, do it and good luck, much easier route IMHO. Once again just my opinion.

For those who can't for whatever reason do the classroom thing, EC is an option. It is doable, it won't be easy but others have done it.

Any how have a good day and good luck to everyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

Kay in Schenectady, New York said: @pete in Brick

Good luck paying 200 dollars to test out. The failure rate is high for those who HAVE studied. I went the traditional route to a real school where real concepts are taught.

Yes Kay you are obviously superior to most of us here.

16 months ago

nynurse in Hyde Park, New York said: I went to Dutchess Community College in Poughkeepsie, NY after trying Excelsior. I graduated with honors & passed the NCLEX on the first try. Hows that for hacking it?

Congratulations on your success nynurse.

Folks, we can be nice here, we all have opinions and we can post and be civil. Life is too short. I guess that goes for me too, I'll be the first to say sorry if I peeved anybody off. this stuff is stressful.

16 months ago

pete in Brick, New Jersey said: And I have spent time as an LPN student on the floor with RN students who where allowed to do next to nothing. We did the heavy lifting and all the direct pt care including what some would consider the "dirty" jobs, I consider it paying my dues, I'm kind of old school that way. Of course I am sure each program and situation is different.

So how does a new nurse get this valuable hands on experience? Everyone had to start somewhere.

Like I said my LPN program was very good, highly rated and most local facilities welcomed us for clinicals, we did a lot of hands on, caths etc. Run by some tough as nails veteran nurses who quickly weeded out the rif raff. Since graduating I have concentrated on getting my RN. Had a few full time offers right away but I knew I would never get my RN if I went that route and all the local RN programs had waiting lists a mile long. The only program my instructors would recommend was EC.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Stay focused, i am a graduate 2008 , ignore the negative postings, i teach the clinicals for years, working on a web site now, which will have testimonials, this forum is to help not tear down folk, it is not for everyone

Page:  « First « Previous   24  25  26  27  28  29  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.