Anyone doing Excelsior College's LPN-RN program?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 1450)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

Lucius in Atlanta, Georgia

64 months ago

Hello everyone,

This is for new people who are coming to the site. If you are just starting excelsior or just need some advice on the study material.DO NOT purchase TCN,RUE,or Anyone who is trying to sell you Study Materials for Thousands of dollars that may take you years to pay off. I would advise you check out some of my earlier post. 3 study guides that I use (I also would advise you buy all three) : Lisa Arends (from ebay) study guides around $70, MyStudyGroup101.com (around $65), and Medstrong $60(they are pretty good except for NC6, mine was incomplete. Other than that they are good). These are great study materials for the nursing exams,(Lisa Arends has) Lifespan Development, A&P, Microbiology, and Ethics. Also, I would check out Instantcert.com or Instantcert Academy (same thing) they have study guides for 40 exams(that cover the core requirements-eng,sociology,psy,us hist I & II) at $20 monthly for as long as you need it, no contracts and you can stop it at anytime with no penalty. It seems like a lot but I have passed, Lifespan Dev. Psy, US Hist I, Criminal Justice, Intro. World Religion, Gen. Anthropology,Prin. of Mgmt and a few others just using InstantCert. I passed 8 IC exams in the last 5 months it cost me $100, imagine if I had to go to a college and take the classes-one of my books might cost $100! So, with the study guides I mention along with IC you will do great and save thousands of dollars at the same time. I don't have any invested interest in any of the companies I mentioned, I am just glad to be able to pass on the information to others in need. Who are trying to accomplish the same goals I am. Good Luck Everybody!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Monique7 in Zephyrhills, Florida

64 months ago

Lucius in Atlanta, Georgia said: Monique7 from Florida,
I have to say that I am really sick of you complaining, it is really pathetic. This is a forum, a positive environment for people to help each other while trying to achieve a certain goal. It is not for you to try and discourage as many people as possible from trying to pursue their goals. If you want to complain you need to call the advisors, deans, and president of Excelsior-you know people who can actually do something about it. Nobody is saying you are wrong, I have heard the same thing about some of the Clinical Evaluators-mean, bad attitudes, etc. When you go to your next CPNE, you need to have the right attitude, be confident, and be well prepared. And remember-They can’t fail you if you do everything right! Good Luck on your next CPNE!!

Lucius, thank you for your comments, I used to think the same way until I was doing the cpne. They gave me advice about the program but I was so positive and confident that I wasn't paying attention to what people were saying. I was very confident until now. And just to let you know yes I am taking other steps that I don't want to discuss now may be later. Not only me but also a lot of other students who feel the same way. I will keep you posted.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rockbird in Hobbs, New Mexico

63 months ago

LPN in Parkersburg, West Virginia said: I 100% agree with you. I have been a pct for 10yrs. I received my cna during high school and instantly started work in a emergency room where i received addition training as a pct. Not only have I been used, abused and over worked but I also learned the true meaning and value of nursing. Over those long tire some years I was exposed to several different generations of "nurses" or to me the ones who are there just for social hour and a pay check. I know for a fact that I could out knowledge a lot of our new nurses. You have to have more than just book smarts to be a knowledgable nurse, and I caught a lot of mess ups, but who was I to try and let the RN know that what they were doing wasnt right cause I was "just a pct" and they were the "RN"..well news flash, she almost killed the patient. You can read all the material and pass all the tests that you want, but untill you are physically out there and tapping into that wonderful thing we call a brain that only some of us use, a RN is not a RN untill she/he has utilized themselves for several yrs. Not every situation will present itself in a textbook fashion so you have to be aware of some of the smallest things like the fact that just because a man presents and complains of a toothache, doesnt mean he is not having the big one (and he was), but hince the diaphoretic texture of his skin and that alarming grey color he was sporting...BIG FLAG RIGHT THERE to the unlicensed person. I look at all these young newly graduated RN's and if I ask them a question the answer I usually get is "I dont know" I am a new grad LPN, and working on my RN now as well and sometimes the thought scares me to death, even after 10yrs of being the low man and learning so much

Amen sister

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Nursingstudent10 in Roberta, Georgia

63 months ago

Hi new to this form. Joined is desperation. Just need to complete NC6 and NC7. Taking NC6 for the second time on May 12th. I own Lisa Arends and My study group 101 Nc6. Could some that has passed please tell me what it is on both CD's that is the most help in passing this exam? There is so much information (overload) what information section(s) is it that I need to pass? I thought that I was prepared the first time, but major shock when I didn't even register on the test chart. I am covering my Power points, flashcards, tapes and reading like crazy. What am I missing here?
Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Hello Everyone!!

As you know July '08 the GA BON decided not to endorse EC nurses. In Dec 09, after a couple of the GA BON members were fired, they had an "emergency session" and voted to allow students who were enrolled before July 1, 2008 to be able to endorse. In Feb '09 the GA senate voted on SB49 46-2 in favor of EC students to practice in GA. In March '09, the GA House voted and passed HB475 against EC students to practice in GA. NEWSFLASH!!! In case you haven't heard: April 29, 2009. HB475 was passed into Law (but, not without a few amendments made by the GA Senate). Excelsior Nurses CAN practice in the state of Georgia!!! So, we are just waiting for the GA Bon to list the stipulations i.e.: preceptorships based on experience. IF you were/are an lpn before you enrolled you will have the easiest endorsement process. IF you were/are not an lpn before you enrolled you will have to, more than likely, do a preceptorship before you can obtain full licensure in GA. You will be issued a temporary license to work as a RN while you complete the training. So, everyone considering coming to GA, come on down!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kea in west palm beach, Florida

63 months ago

Hi Lucius,

Thank you for the update! Sincerely, Kea

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Kea in west palm beach, Florida said: Hi Lucius,

Thank you for the update! Sincerely, Kea

You are very welcome!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Lucius in Atlanta, Georgia said: XXX what do you mean not accreddited, to be more specific I mean is not NLNAC accredited or not state accredited? NLNAC is an optional accreditation but it has to be state approved. If you call your state board of nursing and they tell you that your school is state accredited and that when you finish you will be eligible to take the nclex, then you are good to go. Just make sure to call your state board of nursing first before you stop going to class. Good Luck!!!!

I guess I should have read your message over again, I see where you wrote not state accredited. If you have called the state board of nursing and they told you that you would not be able to take the Nclex then I would leave the program. Since you've only been attending two months, it's not as bad as the situation here in GA where a school has been teaching students(who have graduated a program)that just found out the school wasn't accredited. Let me ask you this, was the nursing program approved and lost its accreditation?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sean3321 in Wichita, Kansas

63 months ago

terriflava in Rosedale, New York said: Hi everyone! I find it interesting and helpful readingeverything. I am an LPn and just applied to EC. I am now awaiting evaluation. How many courses or exams are there to complete the ASN or AAN? before applying for the CPNE. Is it all the same courses for LPN's or on individual basis depending on transcripts?.... Thanks!!!!! I havent been more ready to get it over with in MY LIFFFFEEEEEEE!!!!

That program is "self-paced," there used to be 7 exams and if you finished those along with most of the G.E. requirements you can take the CPNE. Now I think there might be 8. I hate to be a wet blanket, but I dislike that program. The tests before the CPNE are pretty easy then they send you material to study for the CPNE and tell you if you prepare you can pass it. There is no teaching supplied, it is all up to you. Some people like the program, for others it did not work at all--a nightmare. To me it is a bit of a crap shot. I got through the tests real fast then studied for the CPNE and thought better of it and pulled out. They take all your money even if you don't pass which can be over 3 grand for the fee and travel. Now there are opportunities for LPNs to get RN degrees on-line through community colleges, which is a way better way to go. I wish I never bothered with EC though I never did take the CPNE--it is not "fair"--they prey on lpns and others who have dreams of being an RN.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sean 3321 in Wichita, Kansas

63 months ago

Amy in Saint Cloud, Minnesota said: I just recently graduated and passed my boards as an LPN. I have talked with Excelsior and I am just wondering if there is anybody who has done the program and is working as an RN. I am curious how many people are doing this route.
If this is something that you have done I would greatly appreciate a response letting me know how it went and if you are working as an RN now.

I don't recommend going that route. It is not a teaching program. It is self-paced and for that reason it appeals to many people. The 7 or 8 tests that you take are pretty easy I thought--I took them and passed them fast, then they sent me study material for the CPNE and told me if you do it their way you can pass. But I backed out after all that dreaming of becoming an RN on principal of that CPNE, and what I feel is a manipulation. Some people have gone through it, and say it is good. But think about it--you spend all that time and money before you take the CPNE and if you don't pass it they take all your money anyway. Which can be over 3 grand with fees and travel expenses. EC will say people just are not prepared if they don't pass--but I say c'mon it is a crap shot. So many things can happen during that one important weekend in a clinical situation. I think this is a very destructive manipulation to some aspiring LPNs that want to be RNs--it might work out and it might not. I just do not feel it is really "fair-play" when you think about it. There are so many programs now for LPNs to become RNs at community colleges on-line--I just don't think EC is worth all the bother--and believe me even if you are quick and smart it is more trouble than traditional programs in my opinion--good luck to you. I graduated from a MN LPN program too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

monique7 in Zephyrhills, Florida

63 months ago

I agree with you, I did the Excelsior college too and couldn't pass the cpne. I wish I never started that program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

sean 3321 in Wichita, Kansas said:

you are right and it looks like the passing rate of that CPNE is 30%.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Sean3321 in Wichita, Kansas said: That program is "self-paced," there used to be 7 exams and if you finished those along with most of the G.E. requirements you can take the CPNE. Now I think there might be 8. I hate to be a wet blanket, but I dislike that program. The tests before the CPNE are pretty easy then they send you material to study for the CPNE and tell you if you prepare you can pass it. There is no teaching supplied, it is all up to you. Some people like the program, for others it did not work at all--a nightmare. To me it is a bit of a crap shot. I got through the tests real fast then studied for the CPNE and thought better of it and pulled out. They take all your money even if you don't pass which can be over 3 grand for the fee and travel. Now there are opportunities for LPNs to get RN degrees on-line through community colleges, which is a way better way to go. I wish I never bothered with EC though I never did take the CPNE--it is not "fair"--they prey on lpns and others who have dreams of being an RN.

Thank you, and I hope that more victimes will come out and talk about that scam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

ajabrams in Albert Lea, Minnesota

63 months ago

I find this really funny that you now say that you have never taken the CPNE but in previous blogs you say you failed twice and now only have 1 more chance! Get a life and stop trying to discourage those who are trying to advance their nursing career! Everyone out there...stay positive and you will achieve what you have started!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

sean3321 in Wichita, Kansas

63 months ago

ajabrams in Albert Lea, Minnesota said: I find this really funny that you now say that you have never taken the CPNE but in previous blogs you say you failed twice and now only have 1 more chance! Get a life and stop trying to discourage those who are trying to advance their nursing career! Everyone out there...stay positive and you will achieve what you have started!!

Hey "ajabrams" this is Sean 3321-- I have in fact never blogged here before-- only recently signed up and these are my first few times to post anything--so how could I have posted that I have taken the CPNE twice before?
I have a right to my opinion--if you all want to wear rose colored spectacles and not hear any other people's opinions regarding EC and the CPNE in particular-- you are not as confident as you proclaim to be, period. If I was in a nursing program I believed in and another person's opinion ran opposite to my own, I might consider what they are saying and laugh it off, but I would never react as you do. That is what I call insecurity. Ambiguity is something we all have to accept in life. And please, if you can not read other people's opinions without them being threatening then you should not be in nursing period.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

monique7 in Zephyrhills, Florida said: Thank you, and I hope that more victimes will come out and talk about that scam.

I don't quite understand the backlash here. I can only relate to what I call my own self-deception while pursuing this program and waking up after studying for 6 months everyday for the CPNE and saying this is not right and the hard part of not believing in this program anymore. The scam part--I would concur there is a definite manipulation involved with EC-- But as someone once told me we are only manipulated if we want to be. I can not accept however that many people have been vulnerable and hurt by this program and treated unfairly--which I know many have.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Sandra in Newport News, Virginia

63 months ago

sean 3321 in Wichita, Kansas said: I don't recommend going that route. It is not a teaching program. It is self-paced and for that reason it appeals to many people. The 7 or 8 tests that you take are pretty easy I thought--I took them and passed them fast, then they sent me study material for the CPNE and told me if you do it their way you can pass. But I backed out after all that dreaming of becoming an RN on principal of that CPNE, and what I feel is a manipulation. Some people have gone through it, and say it is good. But think about it--you spend all that time and money before you take the CPNE and if you don't pass it they take all your money anyway. Which can be over 3 grand with fees and travel expenses. EC will say people just are not prepared if they don't pass--but I say c'mon it is a crap shot. So many things can happen during that one important weekend in a clinical situation. I think this is a very destructive manipulation to some aspiring LPNs that want to be RNs--it might work out and it might not. I just do not feel it is really "fair-play" when you think about it. There are so many programs now for LPNs to become RNs at community colleges on-line--I just don't think EC is worth all the bother--and believe me even if you are quick and smart it is more trouble than traditional programs in my opinion--good luck to you. I graduated from a MN LPN program too.

Hello;

Could you please E-Mail me the Name of some Colleges that have an LPN to RN Program Online.

Thank You,

Sandra

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sean 3321 in Butte, Montana

63 months ago

Sandra in Newport News, Virginia said: Hello;

Could you please E-Mail me the Name of some Colleges that have an LPN to RN Program Online.

Thank You,

Sandra

Here in Kansas there are several community colleges that offer LPN-RN programs on-line, but they differ from EC in that they are teaching oriented and clinicals are required. And this is where the "traditional" aspect comes into play . I would check with your own state, as unlike EC priority is given to in state resident's. In Kansas Butler community college in El Dorado, Ks
Pratt community college--Pratt, Ks
Hutchinson community college--Ks
These are just a few I have seen spring up in my own state in the last few yrs. and I asssuming it is a national trend.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Sandra in Newport News, Virginia said: Hello;

Thank You,

Sandra

Sandra in Newport News, Virginia

There are a lot of LPN-RN programs in every state, mostly in community or technical colleges but the those programs are traditional programs. They are not online programs, the only part you can do online are the prereq's, you will have to do the clinical rotations along with everyone else. Also(just like the traditional program) You will have to apply, be put on a waiting list, then be accepted to the RN program. That is how traditional programs work as we all know. That is why we are doing Excelsior, because it's a none traditional program, no waiting list, at your own pace. Traditional programs are good, but some of us don't have time to be waiting on a list to get in when we could be finished at another school. The only Online Nursing program that I know of that is LPN-BSN is at Indiana State University, it requires you to do clinicals but you can actually do the clinical at a site in your state or close by. If you go on their website they have the clinical sites listed. Also, they will accept up to 90 semester hours of transfer credit, you only have to do one year with them. They accept credit from Excelsior as well. So, if you want to do the traditional program go for it, the non-traditional route is not for everybody. But if you finished a good LPN program, you can do the Excelsior program. And Sandra, we are here to help each other. So Good Luck in your choice!

Lucius in Atlanta, GA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Lucius in Atlanta, Georgia said: Sandra in Newport News, Virginia

There are a lot of LPN-RN programs in every state, mostly in community or technical colleges but the those programs are traditional programs. They are not online programs, the only part you can do online are the prereq's, you will have to do the clinical rotations along with everyone else. Also(just like the traditional program) You will have to apply, be put on a waiting list, then be accepted to the RN program. That is how traditional programs work as we all know. That is why we are doing Excelsior, because it's a none traditional program, no waiting list, at your own pace. Traditional programs are good, but some of us don't have time to be waiting on a list to get in when we could be finished at another school. The only Online Nursing program that I know of that is LPN-BSN is at Indiana State University, it requires you to do clinicals but you can actually do the clinical at a site in your state or close by. If you go on their website they have the clinical sites listed. Also, they will accept up to 90 semester hours of transfer credit, you only have to do one year with them. They accept credit from Excelsior as well. So, if you want to do the traditional program go for it, the non-traditional route is not for everybody. But if you finished a good LPN program, you can do the Excelsior program. And Sandra, we are here to help each other. So Good Luck in your choice!

Lucius in Atlanta, GA

Actually the community college online LPN-RN programs are becoming increasingly more sophisticated as well as becoming more popular. As long as you finish pre-requistes they are usually no more than 11 months in duration and include nursing theroy courses that you take all on-line and flexible clinical rotations at different locations within a state. And they are indeed called on-line LPN-RN programs. I can think of several in the state I live in alone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

From a friend who took the CPNE
"My work is not done. There are no quality controls in the CPNE. No BSN’s with 10 years acute care experience have taken the CPNE incognito, to ferret out the bugs in the program. The CPNE is very well protected legally; remember all the papers that you sign?

In my group of six, there were three repeating the CPNE, three taking the test for the first time, and only 3 passed, two failed and one had a hissy fit and stopped the test. The test along with airfare, hotel, food and miscellaneous expenses is approximately $3,200.00 - $3,500.00 each time. You can take the test a total of 3 times at the cost of $9,600 to $10,500.00. Then Excelsior, richer to be sure, cuts you loose, passed or failed.

Excelsior College requires of its students a 70% or greater score of success to pass and be awarded credits on all tests, yet Excelsior College has failed to meet this standard in the CPNE. There was a 50% pass rate on my group alone and it is reported on their own site that they achieve a 65% pass rate for a first time testing, 65% pass rate for those testing the second time and a 55% pass rate for those testing for the third time. I believe this 65% number to be greatly inflated" Just let me say it,
“EXCELSIOR COLLEGE, YOU HAVE FAILED AS A TESTING PROGRAM”.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Monique7 in Wesley Chapel, Florida

63 months ago

Lucius in Atlanta, Georgia said: Sean3321 in Witchita, KS and Monique7 in Zephyrhills, Fl

I really believe that neither of you went to Excelsior. Probably just a couple of Bitter RN's that hate the Excelsior College program and are trying to discourage as many people as possible from going. I think you two are in on this together, for Monique who has been putting negative comments on here for the last month, I kinda felt sorry for you but now I realize that you are just stupid. Sean you say the CPNE is unfair, but you stated that you "NEVER TOOK THE CPNE?", that doesn't make sense to me. How can you call the CPNE unfair if you never did it? Sounds suspicious to me, as if you paid all your money to take the exams but HEARD the CPNE was UNFAIR and that made you not want to take it? So, let me guess you are going to start over, get put on a waiting list, maybe get accepted, and finish up in 3 to 4 years from now? That sounds really intelligent, LOL!!! Both of you are a couple of Idiots!!! I hope anyone who has been reading this Forum will not take these two people serious, and continue on with your educational goals. These are the type of people that don't have anything better to do than to discourage.

As far as I know this is a place where people can come to express themselves without hurting each other. I said I already went to the CPNE twice that I have to go back for the last time. I am about to lose $20,000 just like that. But like I always say, I still have my books if anyone is interrested. Everyone is free to try the program if they want to lose their time energy and money. Who am I to stop people from making decisions in their lives? I never had any problem taking the exams, I passed them all. You don't have to believe me if you don't want to. But I promised to come back with more information after I go to the CPNE next time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Monique7 in Wesley Chapel, Florida

63 months ago

sean3321 in Wichita, Kansas said: From a friend who took the CPNE
"My work is not done. There are no quality controls in the CPNE. No BSN’s with 10 years acute care experience have taken the CPNE incognito, to ferret out the bugs in the program. The CPNE is very well protected legally; remember all the papers that you sign?

In my group of six, there were three repeating the CPNE, three taking the test for the first time, and only 3 passed, two failed and one had a hissy fit and stopped the test. The test along with airfare, hotel, food and miscellaneous expenses is approximately $3,200.00 - $3,500.00 each time. You can take the test a total of 3 times at the cost of $9,600 to $10,500.00. Then Excelsior, richer to be sure, cuts you loose, passed or failed.

Excelsior College requires of its students a 70% or greater score of success to pass and be awarded credits on all tests, yet Excelsior College has failed to meet this standard in the CPNE. There was a 50% pass rate on my group alone and it is reported on their own site that they achieve a 65% pass rate for a first time testing, 65% pass rate for those testing the second time and a 55% pass rate for those testing for the third time. I believe this 65% number to be greatly inflated" Just let me say it,
“EXCELSIOR COLLEGE, YOU HAVE FAILED AS A TESTING PROGRAM”.

I agree with you, but some people don't want to hear the truth.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Lucius in Atlanta, Georgia said: Sean I am not insulting you because you have a different opinion than myself, you and Monique are making it a mission to make as many negative remarks as possible on this site. ONE negative remark is enough to get your point across anything more than that is suspicious. Let me give you an example: I personally think paying $1,900 CPNE is outrageous! And I honestly think it is but I would rather pay for one weekend than to have to do clinical rotations for 2 years. But Sean, I have to wonder, you actually went on the internet to search for a site that had Excelsior students so you could tell them how bad the program is? Sounds like some BS to me! Sean we are here to complete what we have started no matter how hard it may seem or what people might say to throw us off! Just because someone said “the CPNE isn’t fair” I am not going to get scared and throw in the towel (as you did) after I put in my time and hard earned money. I know the “ends will justify the means” in this situation. Sean I think that your statement describes you perfectly “Ambiguity is something we all have to accept in life. And please, if you cannot read other people's opinions without them being threatening then you should not be in nursing period.” I guess this is the reason you did not take your CPNE. You said “If I was in a nursing program that I believed in”; you mean to tell me y

What a wet nose little manipulator you are--no wonder you are so drawn to Excelsior College. This is NOT ABOUT YOU--I DON't give a rat's behind about--you rude little peon!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

LPN in Clearwater, Florida

63 months ago

Nursingstudent10 in Roberta, Georgia said: Hi new to this form. Joined is desperation. Just need to complete NC6 and NC7. Taking NC6 for the second time on May 12th. I own Lisa Arends and My study group 101 Nc6. Could some that has passed please tell me what it is on both CD's that is the most help in passing this exam? There is so much information (overload) what information section(s) is it that I need to pass? I thought that I was prepared the first time, but major shock when I didn't even register on the test chart. I am covering my Power points, flashcards, tapes and reading like crazy. What am I missing here?
Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hello, try looking over your LPN notes, also try to find the books EC uses on ebay for those tests. It is always a good idea to use more than one source for your information. Try an RN NCLEX study guide. Good luck and stay positive on your way to your RN

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

monique7 in Zephyrhills, Florida said: I agree with you, I did the Excelsior college too and couldn't pass the cpne. I wish I never started that program.

Hello Monique, did you try one of the prep programs? Call EC and ask to join one of the study groups for the CPNE use all resources including Youtube for the skills. You have spent so much time and effort in this program, it would be a shame not to finish it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

symonelondon@yahoo.com in Lithonia, Georgia said: Thank you!! Carolyn,
As it relates to the CPNE, I passed the first time, 7 in the group, 2 failed(i believe). One of the most rewarding yet challenging experiences that i've ever had. What prepared me the most, without question, was the actual disk that excelsior sends out once u finish all your concepts. It really prepared me from begging to end. It was definitely no joke!! But do-able. I prepared for about 3 months. Grab a hold of your nerves at all times! Remmeber you've come too far to fail. Pray, study, and go in confidence. If you fail one part, digest it, but then move on, part is not all! Get plenty of rest.
Good Luck!!
Symone

Can you tell me more about the CPNE? Do you attend one of the prep courses?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

LPN in Clearwater, Florida said: Hello Monique, did you try one of the prep programs? Call EC and ask to join one of the study groups for the CPNE use all resources including Youtube for the skills. You have spent so much time and effort in this program, it would be a shame not to finish it.

I got all i could find; I am still studying hoping that I will make it next time.

RRT Ian in Epping, New Hampshire

63 months ago

sean 3321 in Wichita, Kansas said: I don't recommend going that route. It is not a teaching program. It is self-paced and for that reason it appeals to many people. The 7 or 8 tests that you take are pretty easy I thought--I took them and passed them fast, then they sent me study material for the CPNE and told me if you do it their way you can pass. But I backed out after all that dreaming of becoming an RN on principal of that CPNE, and what I feel is a manipulation. Some people have gone through it, and say it is good. But think about it--you spend all that time and money before you take the CPNE and if you don't pass it they take all your money anyway. Which can be over 3 grand with fees and travel expenses. EC will say people just are not prepared if they don't pass--but I say c'mon it is a crap shot. So many things can happen during that one important weekend in a clinical situation. I think this is a very destructive manipulation to some aspiring LPNs that want to be RNs--it might work out and it might not. I just do not feel it is really "fair-play" when you think about it. There are so many programs now for LPNs to become RNs at community colleges on-line--I just don't think EC is worth all the bother--and believe me even if you are quick and smart it is more trouble than traditional programs in my opinion--good luck to you. I graduated from a MN LPN program too.

Sean,
Do you know of any on line RN programs other that EC that will accept Respiratory Therapists (RRT)?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Lucius in Atlanta, Georgia said: Tisha,

Check out some of the earlier post. I made comment about using Lisa Arends($75)and Medstrong($50)software. WAY!!! Cheaper than TCN or RUE. You will have two sources to study from, I have passed NC 1 & 2 using only Lisa Arends. You will have to study the information, but she has it focused on what you need to learn to pass the exams.

Good Luck!!

Have you heard of Spring House notes? I am trying to figure out which books line up with each class. Any info appreciated.

scott tennison

63 months ago

OK, I have heard good things about Lisa Arends. Now, please tell me how to use her material. For instance, could I focus on her notes only for classes 1 and 2?
Would it be enough to study her chapter objectives by themselves? Does anyone have a game plan having used her material--that is what to focus on. the bare essentials. In other words do i need to study her entire packet or just certain parts for classes 1 and 2?

thanks so much for your input. anthony

63 months ago

scott tennison said: OK, I have heard good things about Lisa Arends. Now, please tell me how to use her material. For instance, could I focus on her notes only for classes 1 and 2?
Would it be enough to study her chapter objectives by themselves? Does anyone have a game plan having used her material--that is what to focus on. the bare essentials. In other words do i need to study her entire packet or just certain parts for classes 1 and 2?

thanks so much for your input. anthony

Anthony,

When you study Lisa Arends, you should focus on the Final Review. If you read all of her notes it would cover everything you need to know for the exams but she really has a lot of notes. What I would advise is to make flashcards from her final review, S.e.t.h’s bullets, and TTK (things to know). I also recommend purchasing MyStudyGroup101 (if you haven’t already) and study their final review as well. I only used LA’s (only) for NC1 got a B, NC2 got a C, NC7 got a B. I used LA and MSG101 NC6 got a A, NC3 got a B. I made flash cards using Lisa Arends and MSG101, together the reviews covered all the subject area of the test. Also, it depends on how you study, I made the following grades only studying for about 10-14 days maximum. So, if you plan on studying for at least 3-4 weeks you would be better prepared than I was.If you take a month, you have enough time to read all of her chapter notes, not all of that other stuff i.e. graphs,charts,articles,etc.With LA and MSG you have a total of about 260-390 cards (2 to 3 times as many questions (130 for the new test) that would be on the test. Once you study the flashcards and you can get at least 95% of them correct then you are ready to test.

63 months ago

RRT Ian in Epping, New Hampshire said: Have you heard of Spring House notes? I am trying to figure out which books line up with each class. Any info appreciated.

Ian,

I have seen some Spring House notes on amazon, but I have never used them myself for Excelsior. I am sure that the provide a lot of information as far as med-surg, pediatrics,etc. As far as material for Excelsior exams I have stated in earlier post and some of my most recent post of what has worked for me. Most people don't want to take a chance trust a stranger, but I challenge you to purchase Lisa Arends Essential of Nursing Care: Health Safety (I think this is the new Nursing Concepts 1) and MyStudyGroup101 Essential of NC 1: Health Safety. The total of both disc would be cheaper than buying one of the Spring House notes (29.95). They have a special on MSG101 at the Mystudygroup101.com where you can get the first two cd's Ess. of NC 1 & 2 for only $9.99 (you can even download MSG101 guides from the site). So it's only a small invest, so you can see for yourself that the material is worth it's weight in gold!

Jen in Clementon, New Jersey

63 months ago

I am studying for NC 6. I bought the texts they recommend on ebay and amazon.com. I read the chapters they list in Course outline. I take notes on the information I do not already know . I have A's on every nursing exam so far. I know there are a lot of other sources out there. If you do what they tell you ,you will pass. There has not been one thing on the exams that was not in the required reading in the texts they listed. When you read you have a better under standing of the rationales,which helps you in making educated guesses on questions you are unsure of. It is a much better way than trying to memorize bullets. Bullets are good and flash cards once you reviewed the material but it is not the best way to have a permanent understanding. I did not buy the nutrition text ,most of that info is in the med surg book already. The meds are in med surg book also. Read and cross off of outline as you review. A week before test just re read your notes . You will do well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

RRT Ian in Epping, New Hampshire said: Have you heard of Spring House notes? I am trying to figure out which books line up with each class. Any info appreciated.

Ian,
Ian,
I also wanted to add, read some of my post for the information on what I purchased and the cost. It's the best material for the lowest price, don't spend thousands on services like TCN or Rue, or anyone who charges $300-$500 per study guide (each test cost $245 alone). Lisa Arends ($75 all of the nursing exams) , Mystudygroup101 ($55 all of the nursing exams), Medstrong ($50 all of the nursing exams) . Paying less than $200 for all of your study guides: Priceless!! I strongly recommend LA and MSG101.

63 months ago

Always do the practice exams Excelsior offers. Great help.Worth the money. Do it a week or two before test, so you can focus on areas you are weak in. Good Luck. This is a great program for anyone who is a motivated self learner.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

I paid for 30$ to $50 dollars for the used text on ebay and amazon.com. You need fundamentals, medsurg,peds for NC1 to NC 4 . NC 5 i had to buy psych book also got for $30. I think theres one more i need for NC7 i will buy that when time comes. Dont buy from people selling expensive study guides its a con. people just out trying to make money. So many nurses i work with bought from people they thought were affiliated with nursing programs selling study guides and now they are in depts to them for thousands of dollars plus have to pay excelsior and needed to buy the texts anyway. i have dont so much better then them with texts they have failed using study guides because its like reading only the main topics of a novel without all the details you do not get the whole picture. You get a whole different impression in your brain.

Lisa in Chardon, Ohio

63 months ago

Is there anyone out there that has made it all the way through to RN through Excelsior? I am currently working on my degree LPN-RN through Excelsior. Would like to know how hard it is to pass the clinical?

63 months ago

Jen in Clementon, New Jersey said: I paid for 30$ to $50 dollars for the used text on ebay and amazon.com. You need fundamentals, medsurg,peds for NC1 to NC 4 . NC 5 i had to buy psych book also got for $30. I think theres one more i need for NC7 i will buy that when time comes. Dont buy from people selling expensive study guides its a con. people just out trying to make money. So many nurses i work with bought from people they thought were affiliated with nursing programs selling study guides and now they are in depts to them for thousands of dollars plus have to pay excelsior and needed to buy the texts anyway. i have dont so much better then them with texts they have failed using study guides because its like reading only the main topics of a novel without all the details you do not get the whole picture. You get a whole different impression in your brain.

Jen,

I agree with you about NOT paying thousands of dollars for study guides. I have friends who are paying for TCN and they haven't even passed "1" exam!! I advocate buying less expensive material, even though Excelsior has the recommended textbooks and reference materials they are still expensive around $1300 for all the books which is still almost 4 times cheaper than TCN or RUE. I am just assuming you have never purchased Lisa Arends or Mystudygroup101 as study material. They are very in-depth, especially L.A., her material consist of (with permission from Excelsior) pages from the textbooks that Excelsior list as references for the test. She has graphs, articles, you name it she has it! Then to top it off she has a final review to re-cap everything you have read from her notes(about 125-200 pages per exam,practice test,and bullets. Her study guides outlined to cover everything listed in the Content guides printed by Excelsior. MSG101 does the same thing but they are not as long as L.A. MSG101 study guides are very good but you would need L.A. to complement it.

63 months ago

Jen in Clementon, New Jersey said: I paid for 30$ to $50 dollars for the used text on ebay and amazon.com. You need fundamentals, medsurg,peds for NC1 to NC 4 . NC 5 i had to buy psych book also got for $30. I think theres one more i need for NC7 i will buy that when time comes. Dont buy from people selling expensive study guides its a con. people just out trying to make money. So many nurses i work with bought from people they thought were affiliated with nursing programs selling study guides and now they are in depts to them for thousands of dollars plus have to pay excelsior and needed to buy the texts anyway. i have dont so much better then them with texts they have failed using study guides because its like reading only the main topics of a novel without all the details you do not get the whole picture. You get a whole different impression in your brain.

Jen,

To finish up what I was saying, I don't know how many exams you have left but try one of Lisa Arend's study guides for your next exam and come back to the Forum and put your honest, no-holds barred, opinion about the quality of the cd: as far as the material on it, the outline, the extra's, articles, etc- so that people can about Lisa Arends from someone other than myself. You say you sent $60-$80 (total for study guides for NC1-5), I am asking you spend $13 (includes shipping) for NC6 if you haven't taken it or NC7 if that is your last one. Good Luck with your exams!!

63 months ago

I think my plan is working pretty well. Don't fix it if it isnt broke they say. Thanks for the advice.

63 months ago

I didnt buy study guides I bought the text books the college recommends for the courses. Used I paid from 30 to 50 for them and I use them for every course not just one.There are also free study resources online that other people are using ,they posted on excelsior discussion boards. flashcardexchange.com and scribd.com.

63 months ago

Lisa in Chardon, Ohio said: Is there anyone out there that has made it all the way through to RN through Excelsior? I am currently working on my degree LPN-RN through Excelsior. Would like to know how hard it is to pass the clinical?

If you really want to know it is very hard

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Lucius- Thanks for the information and financial layout. I am going to go ahead and follow through on your advice.
Thanks again.
Ian

scott tennison

63 months ago

Lucius in Atlanta, Georgia said: Anthony,

When you study Lisa Arends, you should focus on the Final Review. If you read all of her notes it would cover everything you need to know for the exams but she really has a lot of notes. What I would advise is to make flashcards from her final review, S.e.t.h’s bullets, and TTK (things to know). I also recommend purchasing MyStudyGroup101 (if you haven’t already) and study their final review as well. I only used LA’s (only) for NC1 got a B, NC2 got a C, NC7 got a B. I used LA and MSG101 NC6 got a A, NC3 got a B. I made flash cards using Lisa Arends and MSG101, together the reviews covered all the subject area of the test. Also, it depends on how you study, I made the following grades only studying for about 10-14 days maximum. So, if you plan on studying for at least 3-4 weeks you would be better prepared than I was.If you take a month, you have enough time to read all of her chapter notes, not all of that other stuff i.e. graphs,charts,articles,etc.With LA and MSG you have a total of about 260-390 cards (2 to 3 times as many questions (130 for the new test) that would be on the test. Once you study the flashcards and you can get at least 95% of them correct then you are ready to test.

thanks lucius for info. to claify, do the tests have 130 questions. also what is s.e.t.h. bullets? is s.e.t.h. and ttk in final review? thanks

63 months ago

scott tennison said: thanks lucius for info. to claify, do the tests have 130 questions. also what is s.e.t.h. bullets? is s.e.t.h. and ttk in final review? thanks

The old test Nursing Concepts 1-7 have 160 questions,the new test have 130 but there are 8 of them. Some of us are still under the old test until Sept. '09 (Dec '09 if you are in Georgia). Lisa Arends has a final review section on each disc, which contains a final study review, ttk, and s.e.t.h's bullets. The final study review covers all of the notes but concentrates on the most important things you should know for the test. The TTK "Things To Know" are the things that she thinks(without giving answers to the test)should be on the test. Ex:Congenital Anomalies are 10%(16 questions) of NC4 so she would cover the most important facts about the most common Congenital Anomalies. It also covers "small things" you might miss: CF(cystic fibrosis) usually diagnosed early,early absence of meconium stoole, Large foul smelling stools(alt in protein digestion), sweat chloride 2-5x normal. what you might miss is "Salty taste on child's skin", which may be the choice on the test. She teaches you "little things" to look for.

Lisa in Chardon, Ohio

63 months ago

Did you pass the first time taking the clincal or did you need to repeat it again. I am just trying to decide if I should continue with Excelsior or go to a coummunity college. I can start this Fall. Don't want to continue with Excelsior if it is to hard to pass at the end,and end up spending thousands of dollars extra just to pass.

monique7 in Wesley Chapel, Florida

63 months ago

Lisa in Chardon, Ohio said: Did you pass the first time taking the clincal or did you need to repeat it again. I am just trying to decide if I should continue with Excelsior or go to a coummunity college. I can start this Fall. Don't want to continue with Excelsior if it is to hard to pass at the end,and end up spending thousands of dollars extra just to pass.

Well we have 3 times to take the clinical part or CPNE. They make it impossible to pass it and each time costs about $3,000 depending where you are traveling from. I tryed my best 2 times and I didn't pass it. I am going for the last time and even if I pass it I would never recommend anyone to do the Excelsior program. But the decision is yours, good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ray in San Clemente, California

63 months ago

SassieMom in Phoenix, Arizona said: DO NOT use the College Network!!!! It's a total rip-off!!!! They are NOT Excelsior...they only seel books and charge fees. Please. please,please watchout...they will hold you to anything if you sign up and wont let you cancel!!!!!

I AGREE WITH YOU!!!

the College Network doesn't tell you all of the hidden fees the you will need to pay for such as testing fees for pearson/college course credits, the representatives do NOT tell you that you are STUCK with the program, you canNOT opt out and pay for the months you have used their site modules, they are very much NON-negotiable!!!

it is a VERY, VERY, VERY BAD IDEA TO SIGN UP FOR THE COLLEGE NETWORK EVEN IF THE PROGRAMS THEY REPRESENT TO YOU ARE SUGAR-COATED AND THEY SOUND GREAT...that is all that it is!!! it SOUNDS great, but it is the opposite!!!

i would not suggest, or refer these course to ANYONE!!!

Simeon in San Clemente, California

63 months ago

sean3321 in Wichita, Kansas said: I don't quite understand the backlash here. I can only relate to what I call my own self-deception while pursuing this program and waking up after studying for 6 months everyday for the CPNE and saying this is not right and the hard part of not believing in this program anymore. The scam part--I would concur there is a definite manipulation involved with EC-- But as someone once told me we are only manipulated if we want to be. I can not accept however that many people have been vulnerable and hurt by this program and treated unfairly--which I know many have.

i agree that there is certainly some deception involved in this program...expecially the RN-AA degree.

one of the EC reps i've spoken with provided me with false information regarding being an EC grad trying to endorse into California, where i am currently located, through the CA nursing board by case. the rep has told me that after graduating i would need to take the NCLEX-RN within another state, and the only possible way to endorse is through practicing in another state to gain certain practice hours, or work in a CA federal hospital like the VA.

Well, those information were also FALSE! I have contacted the CA Nursing Board and have found out that they do NOT accept ANY graduate from EC, and they do NOT make exceptions as I was informed!!! I was shocked and taken a-back!

Folks, if you are an LVN/LPN, just go through either the community college programs OR the private programs...those will benefit you...however, it is not to say that there are on-line programs out there that do not work...there are...but I suggest you RESEARCH all possible RN-AA/BSN on-line programs out there!

MAKE SURE YOU KNOW YOUR FACTS FROM FINE LINE DECEPTIONS...and if the representative you're speaking to is very friendly...and maybe he/she seems TOO friendly...that's your RED-FLAG!!! Do NOT sign any contracts!!!

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.