Background

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 152)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

ljm253 in Franklin, Massachusetts

50 months ago

A misdemeanor non-violent offense over ten years old, you should look into getting that expunged. Seek legal counsel on the best and fastest way to go about that. As long as the bad check charge isnt a forgery situation where you took advantage of someone then you should be ok. If you bounced a check, then really, don't let that get you down.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Praying.... in Griffin, Georgia

49 months ago

Have anyone gotten LPN license with a prior felony (15 years ago)in GA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (56) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

:) new LPN in Columbus, Ohio

48 months ago

just thought i'd give to inspiring advice I received 2 duis very close to eachother. Payed the price and although i may have not learned my lesson the first time, I deffiantly learned it the second time. I took man y actions including AA meetings Couseling and variouse classes the insure i would not make that mistake again. I disclosed this information to the board was very open and honest and they chose to take no action. I Have known people who have not had as good of luck in the same situation as me. I also have found work and plan on going back to school. Do you think if i can work as an lpn under my circumstances, I would have any trouble doing so as an RN?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

dui misdemeanor in Woodmere, New York

47 months ago

THE BEST ADVICE I GOT WAS FROM A PROBATION OFFICER (NOT MY LAWYER): ask your lawyer to file a "CERTIFICATE OF DISABILITY". It is a document that protects you from being discriminated against from getting a job as an LPN. EVERY ONE CAN MAKE A MISTAKE! IT IS NOT IN ANY ONE'S PLACE TO JUDGE EXCEPT GOD HIMSELF. Apply for a job and do NOT list the DUI. I was nearly not hired at a job due to this misdemeanor charge that came up with a background check. H.R. called me in and I explained the whole story to the hiring nurse, told her that if I listed the DUI on my application I would have been judged right away and not given the job and handed her the Certificate of Disability. I GOT THE JOB!!! :)

talli in Middleburg, Florida said: I was charged with a DUI 1 yr ago. Any suggestions in my job search. I have 15 yrs experience as a LPN in Florida. First and only offense. I know I made a big mistake just very thankful I did not hurt anyone.
I have applied, but once the DUI is mentioned I never get hired. I am very honest and upfront, I made the mistake and I will pay the price.
Thankful for any suggestions

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

KAT in Arlington, Texas

47 months ago

dui misdemeanor in Woodmere, New York said: THE BEST ADVICE I GOT WAS FROM A PROBATION OFFICER (NOT MY LAWYER): ask your lawyer to file a "CERTIFICATE OF DISABILITY". It is a document that protects you from being discriminated against from getting a job as an LPN. EVERY ONE CAN MAKE A MISTAKE! IT IS NOT IN ANY ONE'S PLACE TO JUDGE EXCEPT GOD HIMSELF. Apply for a job and do NOT list the DUI. I was nearly not hired at a job due to this misdemeanor charge that came up with a background check. H.R. called me in and I explained the whole story to the hiring nurse, told her that if I listed the DUI on my application I would have been judged right away and not given the job and handed her the Certificate of Disability. I GOT THE JOB!!! :)

Can you explain how having a DUI offense is a disability??? That doesn't make any sense to me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Aspiring LPN in Tampa, Florida

47 months ago

5 years ago I was arrested for aggrevated child abuse. The charges were dropped and I was never convicted of any crimes. Do I have any chance of becoming a LPN? I explained the situation to the school and I was told that since There was no convictions I shold be OK. I am very excited at the idea of becoming a nurse and this arrest on my record can make my dream never become a reality. Thanks for your comments.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Rome, Georgia

46 months ago

I have found this site showing what kind of criminal background check each state does so check it out let me know if it helps anyone www.ncsbn.org/CBC_SxS.pdf

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

baszalai in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

45 months ago

Randy in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: I am a LPN and have been for 5 years. I was convicted of a felony in 2005. My license was suspended than later reinstated. I was ordered to participate in the PHMP. I find it very hard to find employment. What I don't understand is, if the State Board of Nursing find you capable of practicing, why is so hard for others. Where do I even begin to look for employment.

You are not the only one here in Pennsylvania that is having the same problem. With the passage of the Older Adult Protective Services Act back in 1996 and then amended in 2002, it's almost impossible to find a job. I have a conviction dating back to 1988 and it is still haunting me to this very day.

You might want to look into a pardon from the state. I've been looking into it and it seems to be the only solution other than moving out of state. Most of my research into pardons have to do with employment-related issues. Pardons usually take about 2 years from the time you apply so it's not instantaneous. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Want to be an RN in FL in Atlanta, Georgia

45 months ago

I want to know if it is worth me trying go through the RN program with my charges. I was arrested and convicted of 2 misd. theft by shoplifting and 1 credit card fraud felony which I receive first offender for and successfully completed my probation therefore it is no longer on my record, however the 2 misd. charges are there all of which I received in the state of GA. I'm looking to start a program in Florida, which I am nervous about passing the background check for the school, and obtain my lincense in that state. Can anyone tell me if it is worth me investing anymore money in going to school, and I will be able to get my RN lincense

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (71) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

vicki in Kissimmee, Florida

45 months ago

hi i have just recently been investigated be the board . they want all my medical record . i have seen severl doctors and given vicodin. but i was recently on the job and was disoriented. my job reported me to the board. my drug screen was positive for phenobarb that was not my. i have a very bad back problem but was going from doctor because i did not have the money to pay them off. i went thur drug rehab in june. and have been clean ever since except for that slip up. i had taken the qbarb 3 weeks before. i am a pre diabetic and my sugar was low i think, i was not takeing drugs at the time. i dont want a criminal record. can anyone help me . i have no money for an attorney. will they still let me keep my license also can i get my license in my home state without them knowing?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

KAT in Arlington, Texas

45 months ago

vicki in Kissimmee, Florida said: hi i have just recently been investigated be the board . they want all my medical record . i have seen severl doctors and given vicodin. but i was recently on the job and was disoriented. my job reported me to the board. my drug screen was positive for phenobarb that was not my. i have a very bad back problem but was going from doctor because i did not have the money to pay them off. i went thur drug rehab in june. and have been clean ever since except for that slip up. i had taken the qbarb 3 weeks before. i am a pre diabetic and my sugar was low i think, i was not takeing drugs at the time. i dont want a criminal record. can anyone help me . i have no money for an attorney. will they still let me keep my license also can i get my license in my home state without them knowing?

If you want to keep your license, then you need to contact an attorney for advice. Nobody on an internet forum is going to be able to help you with this issue. Call an attorney!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

scrappy in Orlando, Florida

44 months ago

Onex in Jonesboro, Georgia said: I was was recently arrested for the charge of obstruction of an officer (misdemeanor). I pled nolo and completed a counseling session and community service to have the charge expunged. I have been an LPN for a long time. Will I have problems renewing my LPN license?

Your info is incomplete, I can't tell if the charge actually was removed from the record.
When you apply for renewal it asks you if you have been convicted of anything.
You have to answer honestly, you wouldn't want some intern to get nosy if you lie, it is automatically reason to deny your app.
There is no viable way around the rules...if your record is clean , as in *not in the public record* you shouldn't have an issue..however, if you do have the charge showing guilt (a plea of nolo contendre still does not say what the judge left on your record.
If what you have stated is all that is there, don't complicate an issue the board probably won't deny your app over. First thing you need to do is find out what is in the public record regarding disposititon of your case.. Good luck and Regards

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

scrappy in Haines City, Florida

44 months ago

vicki in Kissimmee, Florida said: hi i have just recently been investigated be the board . they want all my medical record . i have seen severl doctors and given vicodin. but i was recently on the job and was disoriented. my job reported me to the board. my drug screen was positive for phenobarb that was not my. i have a very bad back problem but was going from doctor because i did not have the money to pay them off. i went thur drug rehab in june. and have been clean ever since except for that slip up. i had taken the qbarb 3 weeks before. i am a pre diabetic and my sugar was low i think, i was not takeing drugs at the time. i dont want a criminal record. can anyone help me . i have no money for an attorney. will they still let me keep my license also can i get my license in my home state without them knowing?

From your own words it is hard to tell what you are saying...
First, you deny that you had phenobarb in your system, or "that was not my"
You cited a "bad back problem" and some issue with paying doctors..
Just because you have completed all the schooling, and have the required passing grade on the exam, and completed your hiring institutions pre-employment screening, and taken
their required educational testing regarding drug safety, medication administration, risk management, etc.., DOES NOT MEAN ITS OK TO TAKE MEDICATION THAT DOESN'T ELONG TO YOU.
I watched a nurse flush a patients hep lock with K+ , just before they were about to be discharged... she had her own rules too.
I have contributed as much as I am going to, to this forum, it is sad to read all these people who are trying to find some way to practice, who don't reallly have some issues, but are truly in need of a dose of reality..
I KNOW all about having problems, and I also know what its like to wait for eight years after treatment to be able to apply to the Nursing Board.
Yes, you can correct the problem, but it took me ten years to get back to this point.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

concernedmom in Meridian, Mississippi

44 months ago

My son just graduated LPN school and was about to send in his NCLEX money and state board application but over the weekend he recieved a first offense DUI which is a misdemeanor in mississippi, Is it possible for him to get licensure in Mississippi now

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

missnursing73 in Pullman, Washington

44 months ago

I saw this post and wanted to ask my ? I am very concerned about Washington State.. I so far have not had an issue in Idaho... About 13 years ago I was under investigation for a CPS issue instead of going the bat with the state I gave my ex husband custody of my son.. they closed the case and I never heard from them again.. I must mention that exactly a year later my ex handed my son back to me at his own choice My son just left home as an adult and we have all forgotten about this horrible situation but here it is... I have worked as a CNA for almost all my life.. and never had an issue getting a job until this past year for some reason Washington told me I had a neglect charge and now can no longer work in Nursing... I am really upset because I am also a Nursing Student and really wanted to work... Now Idaho has never mentioned any of this to me because nothing has ever come back I have asked.. I always disclose everything now that I know about it.. but like I said I never received a letter, call anything.. Is this going to stop me from working as a LPN Or RN in Washington State or any other state? The deal was this I married someone I loved to find out 3 months later that he was a Registered Sex Offender I had no clue.. I immediately divorced him!!! I have not had any contact with this person since then but has really scarred my ability to trust men

vyckye in denver in Denver, Colorado

44 months ago

I was convicted of criminal mischief less than five hundred dollars class 2 misdemeanor in September of 2009. Unfortunately in Colorado this crime falls under the umbrella of domestic violence. I was a LPN for twelve years prior to conviction and have moved my nursing license to a status of inactive. My concerns are two fold how do I reactivate my license and has anyone successfully obtained employment anywhere in the nursing field after this charge. My criminal background check reads plea of guilty to criminal mischief and harrassment charge dismissed. How long would be a good waiting period to try to apply for work. Thanks Vyckye

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cherisse in Cincinnati, Ohio

43 months ago

I was charged with domestic violence adnd assualt whch are misdemeanors in 2001, for a dispute with my husband and I(we are now divorded)... how can I handle this? Cant find employment and my kids and I are now depending on family to care for us. I mind you this is 10 years old and I beginning to feel helpless..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dana in Hot Springs National Park, Arkansas

43 months ago

Aspiring LPN in Tampa, Florida said: 5 years ago I was arrested for aggrevated child abuse. The charges were dropped and I was never convicted of any crimes. Do I have any chance of becoming a LPN? I explained the situation to the school and I was told that since There was no convictions I shold be OK. I am very excited at the idea of becoming a nurse and this arrest on my record can make my dream never become a reality. Thanks for your comments.

I had a horrible charge against me a second degree sexual assualt charge because of the effects of AMBIEN, the charges were eventually dropped, but I had been a LPN for 20 yrs, during the court proceedings I was not allowed to work as a nurse until the charges were dropped, the state board in Arkansas said that even though my name was placed on the child maltreatment list I could continue to work as a LPN.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kim Cam in malden, Missouri

42 months ago

hello! i was interested in enrolling in the LPN program in kennett,MO and i have a misdemeanor a frad charge on my record, will this pose as a problem for me?

Kim Cam in malden, Missouri

42 months ago

Kim Cam in malden, Missouri said: hello! i was interested in enrolling in the LPN program in kennett,MO and i have a misdemeanor a frad charge on my record, will this pose as a problem for me?

also it was 3 yrs ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

fbowling in Arvada, Colorado

42 months ago

It may be a problem, depending on how long ago it was, and if you are still on probation and something. check w/ the school let them rum a background check. They will tell u if you are eligble.

Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

I think Stacey has a chance. Especially if her felony was over 10 yrs ago. non-violent or drug related.
People who care to judge w/out know ALL of the circumstances involved are really ignorant.

Stacy GO For It!!! Get all the info you need. I thin the BON says something about 12 yrs. Don't forget they consider on a case-by-case basis.

kim cam in Piggott, Arkansas

42 months ago

well i just talked to the school! and i will have no problems gettin into the program just explain what happened and shouldnt be a problem!

Tosha in Conway, South Carolina

42 months ago

Clinkenbeard in Terre Haute, Indiana said: I have been a nurse for 24 years and on September 08, 2008 I got pulled over and at that time i was out with friends and i had two 8 oz beers and i was booked. Now let me tell you from this experience, it does affect your chances of getting a job...when they do a back ground check it does show up as a misdemeanor. Now it isn't a Felony...but it doesnt matter. I am a social drinker and never drank and drove...but this woke me up. Now my question is help...Can anyone give me a suggestion on what to do to help with seeking employment and them over seeing the misdemeanor. I am currently working as a prison nurse...which they ask me about this but they didn't see a problem...now this is a state prision and they didn't see a problem so what is everyone elses problem?

Tammy

I moved to conway,sc in may of 2010 it is now march of 2011. I have a felony charge but was convicted of a misdeamenor and it is sooooooo hard for me to find a job. Even going back to school is hard because the hospitals won't allow anyone with a felony conviction to do clinicals at the hospital. What do I do????? Oh did I mention that my conviction was in 1997......

42 months ago

Plead NOT GUILTY in court until they drop it to a lower charge. Don't give up.

Monica in Spring Hill, Florida

42 months ago

Stacey in Tampa, Florida said: I live in Tampa and was interested in becoming a LPN. My problem is that I had a felony conviction 10 years ago that was non violent/non drug related. Would I have a chance at getting both a LPN job and passing the test requirements? Please advise

Hi Stacey,
I also had some history of a conviction on my record and the nursing board granted my LPN licensure after I showed proof of when the conviction occurred (was more than 7 years ago when I first applied and now has been more 10) and was non-violent as well as non-health care related so they granted my license without any problem but I also did need to show exactly what my conviction was and I also submitted a personal letter. Hope this helps. Be sure when you apply for a license that you are up front and honest about ANY history of criminal activity misdeamnos, felonies, etc-better to tell them then for them to find it during a back ground check. If they grant you a temporary permit to work and then find something on your background check that you did not report they will revoke your temporary permit.

nikkip in Columbus, Ohio

41 months ago

Stacey in Tampa, Florida said: I live in Tampa and was interested in becoming a LPN. My problem is that I had a felony conviction 10 years ago that was non violent/non drug related. Would I have a chance at getting both a LPN job and passing the test requirements? Please advise

I have a drug trafficking charge from 1993 and a theft charge 1994 i was able to take the LPN exam but they put perm restictions on my license and i have not ben able to find a job

nikkip in Columbus, Ohio

41 months ago

Praying.... in Griffin, Georgia said: Have anyone gotten LPN license with a prior felony (15 years ago)in GA

yes i have a felony from 1993 and 1994 they allowed me to take the exam for the license then i had to sign a conscent agreement with permenant restictions on it i have not had any luck with getting hired anywhere.

tammi in Valdosta, Georgia

41 months ago

Hi, i was involved in a relationship with a guy and got into an altercation with his ex back in 2007. She attacked me with a 4x4 and i then grabbed a cane out of the car and hit her in the back with it. I got into my car and left and as i was leaving, she threw the 4x4 at my car breaking the window. By the time i got to work the cops were pulling in to arrest me. I told them what happened and she claimed that i dented up her car so therefore they charged me with battery and crimimal tresspassing/damage to property for damage done to her car. I wanted to fight the second charge of criminal tresspassing/damg. to prop but was advised that if i did and loss that the punishment may be worse. Did a year probation and regret ever getting myself involved in that situation. Two years later my boyfriend and i got into a arguement and the police were called, they arrested me because during the midst of us pushing each other he got scratched. They charges were later dropped. I tried to get both expunged as the first one was a first time offense and the second one was dropped. but they said that in GA that they dont expunge battery charges.

I really want to become a nurse as then has been a longtime passion of mine. But because of these charges i have not presued it the way a want. However, i have a chance of getting accepted into a nursing program this fall andd i am so scared that i want get granted license or even a job. have anyone ever been it a similar situation or do anyone have any helpful advice? Thanks a mil!!!

keke in Tuscaloosa, Alabama

39 months ago

they might it depends on where your going and the requirements

Maggan Abby in Rena Lara, Mississippi

39 months ago

Windergirl in Monroe, Georgia said: Hi, I have misdemeanor bad check charge from 1996--all that is on my record. Anyone know if I will be able to get a LPN license or even go through the clinicals at school? I am in GA.

i dont know about there but here in Mississippi the only thing that would stop you from getting in the class or going to clinicals is a felony charge

someone in Sapulpa, Oklahoma

39 months ago

CAN YOU OBTAIN AN RN LICENSE AFTER YOUR LPN HAS BEEN REVOKED? IS IT ONE IN THE SAME WHEN IT COMES TO REVOCATIONS?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

jetta60red in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

39 months ago

You should contact the board of Nursing in GA. Only they can tell....

LivinNKnox in Knoxville, Tennessee

39 months ago

I'm currently looking to go to nursing school and am almost ready to file my application. In preparing myself to do so, I found out that an extensive background check is done prior to getting into school. My concern is that I have 4 charges that I was arrested for. All have been expunged except the DUI charge, of which I was convicted. The first charge is domestic violence which I served probation for and was a joke in all honesty because it was an issue of self defense on my part (unfortunately, I wasn't the one to call the cops though so I was perceived as the bigger aggressor). This charge occurred in 1999. Next, in 2002, I was arrested and charged with DUI, Vehicular Assault, and Driving on a suspended license. The Vehicular assault and driving on a suspended were dismissed and have been expunged, so the only conviction I have on my record is for a DUI (1st offense). In applying for nursing school and to the Board, has anyone had similar charges and had problems getting into school or attaining their nursing license? I live in TN. I realize that on paper these are very serious charges. I also realize that what I did was wrong and take full responsibility for my actions. These were, however, long ago when I was in my early and mid 20's. I'm now in my mid 30's and a completely different person. I've not even had a traffic violation in over 6 years.

Dana in Hot Springs National Park, Arkansas

39 months ago

I've been a nurse for 22 yrs, in 2008 I was charged with a DUI, I contacted state board in Arkansas and all they wanted me to do was mail in my paperwork from court, I was only charged with a misdeamonor, not a felony.

wood in Odessa, Texas

38 months ago

I'm juvenile probation, I've already got two charges but the second one is three weeks till I get off, if I plead not guilty to the second one can I postpone the case till I get off probation?

baszalai in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

38 months ago

Sorry, it doesn't work like that. If you are already on probation and were arrested for a second crime, it is a probation violation. Doesn't matter whether or not you get convicted or not you still were arrested while on probation. Your original Judge can make you walk off all the time you just spent on probation including any jail time you might have done. And, on top of that, the Judge can also lock you up for the probation violation. Now, if you get convicted of or plea guilty to the second charge, you could be looking at doing some time.

My best advice to you is quit messing up and getting your a** arrested. No other way around that.

gia6

37 months ago

Hi i had three convictions of shoplifting charges 8 yrs ago hanging with the wrong crowd, now i want to do the lpn course will those charges affect me from doing the class? I really want to do the class but im afraid i might get denied.

kooney12 in Kissimmee, Florida

37 months ago

I would first call the DOA in your state and see if can send a letter explaing your past, before you apply for school. I have a copy of my letter if you need it.

Hopeful in Seattle in Lynnwood, Washington

37 months ago

I got a letter with a background concern because I did not disclose a misdemeanor-DUI that happened 5 years ago. I thought only Felonies needed to be disclosed. I am now waiting for a call from Boeing security. Has any one ever heard of anyone getting hired anyway? Please help!!

reddmon in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

37 months ago

baszalai in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: You are not the only one here in Pennsylvania that is having the same problem. With the passage of the Older Adult Protective Services Act back in 1996 and then amended in 2002, it's almost impossible to find a job. I have a conviction dating back to 1988 and it is still haunting me to this very day.

You might want to look into a pardon from the state. I've been looking into it and it seems to be the only solution other than moving out of state. Most of my research into pardons have to do with employment-related issues. Pardons usually take about 2 years from the time you apply so it's not instantaneous. Good luck

Im in the same situation you all have described. I have a drug trafficking conviction from 1990. The state suspended my lpn license for 12 years and just reinstated it this year. Im finding it hard to get employment in nursing. Seems so hypocritical that the state says you can get your license back yet you can not work in nursing because you have a felony conviction. Seems there is no time limit on when that conviction cannot be held against you.

anony in Gilbert, Arizona

37 months ago

I want to go to rn school, but have two misdemeanors charges from 17 years ago in Tx. One was misconduct for getting in a fight and the other theft because of shoplifting. Should I bother pursuing a nursing career. Thanks in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Brandon Szalai in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

37 months ago

Your first order of business is to contact the State Board of Nursing and find out straight from the horses mouth what the situation is. Your SBON are the only ones who can give you an answer. Do not attempt to conceal your criminal history, they will find out.

Asking these types of questions on an open forum like this really isn't going to provide you with an accurate answer since most everyone including myself are not the ones making the decisions. Also, remember, every ones situation is different. What occurred to one person may be totally different to what will happen with you. Personally, I don't see why they wouldn't grant you a license after you take your boards. The time lapse is long and if you can show proof of being a good citizen you should be o.k..

I've been a nurse going on 20 years now here in Pennsylvania. When I applied for licensure I was completely honest on the application. The time lapse was only a couple of years at that point. If I were to go through the same process now, I probably wouldn't stand a snowballs chance in hell under the same circumstances. Pennsylvania is making it harder and harder to achieve a license and find a job if you have a criminal background. Stay away from Pennsylvania.

37 months ago

reddmon in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Im in the same situation you all have described. I have a drug trafficking conviction from 1990. The state suspended my lpn license for 12 years and just reinstated it this year. Im finding it hard to get employment in nursing. Seems so hypocritical that the state says you can get your license back yet you can not work in nursing because you have a felony conviction. Seems there is no time limit on when that conviction cannot be held against you.

I still suggest you look into a pardon. If you cannot afford a lawyer, contact Community Legal Services, they're in Center City. I'm getting to the point of moving out of state. I don't know if I'll do any better somewhere else but anywhere has to be better than Pennsylvania.

Its bad enough with the current state of the economy forcing employers not to hire new employees but to pass more laws that actually prevent individuals from gaining meaningful employment in their chosen field is hypocritical. We already know that having a criminal record usually prevents us from a lot of the nursing jobs out there just because...even if the record is 22+ years old (in my case).

I've been unemployed for 10 months now and already suffer from major depression and PTSD (almost bipolar). Not being able to find a job is starting to take its toll. I'm always upfront and honest with prospective employers about my background. I always point out the time lapse and that I achieved many things over the years. I also point out that that I have security clearances from the military. All this doesn't seem to matter (especially the military part, I just retired after 25 years).

37 months ago

Jonathon Washington in Newark, New Jersey said: I was allow by the state to take my boards and pass now i am having a hard time in getting my license. it's been seven months. my conviction for drug sells are 29-22- and 11 years old now i have to go to a moral hearing with the office of professional disipline. i feel it is very unjust to allow me to take the test then not be granted the license i work so hard for.

Sounds like the jokes on you. But look on the bright side, all the tuition, books, and other materials that you had to buy helped out the local economy, something to be proud about.

Now, at the risk of sounding like a smart-ass, when you go in front of the Morals Board, don't forget the KY Jelly.

If New Jersey is anything like Pennsylvania, you are going to have to jump through many hoops. Pennsylvania has very strict policies on prospective nurses who have drug convictions on their records. Funny thing is tho...I haven't seen where the policies differentiate between the use of or the sale of illegal drugs, it just says drug convictions.

I do wish you the best of luck. Look into a pardon from the Govoner while you are waiting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

If you were prescribed Vicoden by an actual doctor, you shouldn't have any problems giving up your medical records. Some medication when metabolized can give false positives on certain drug screens, especially urine drug screens. I've never heard of Vicoden giving off a Phenobarb false positive, I really don't think that's possible. There's more to this story than you are telling.

I also want to point out that your spelling and punctuation leave a lot to be desired, especially for someone who is suppose to be educated. And no, you cannot get your license in your home state if you were denied or had a license revoked/suspended in another state. Ever hear about computers. All the state boards of nursing are all connected together. If you lie about not having a criminal record you might get away with it at first but they do do background checks on all licensed nurses, even if you are renewing your license.

37 months ago

As with most criminal background checks, the only things that show up are the things you were convicted of: either found guilty or plead guilty. Everything else that was dropped won't show up. The things that were dropped were dropped, not expunged, big difference.

I would get myself prepared to write out a detailed explanation of each and every charge. Mind you, it should be just the FACTS, not why it happened or who was at fault. If there were any mitigating circumstances, i.e., I was drinking that night because my dog died and opened a can of whoop-ass on my old lady for burning dinner, you should include them. Be as detailed as possible. You should also write out your list of accomplishments and start gathering personal references from whatever important people you know, the more important the better. If you have to go in front of the Board, make damn sure you sound like you have an education. Answer their questions to the best of your ability and do not volunteer any more information than what was asked. Overkill will sink you.

Hope this helps. I had a Tennessee license back in the late 90s and I have a criminal background. Things probably changed since then.

reddmon

37 months ago

Ive been doing some research in PA, Even if you manage to get your nursing license, the law that will prevent you from working is called the Older Adults Protective Services act. There used to be a 10 year time limit on felony convictions but was amended several years ago and that time limit was removed. So now you never have a chance. There is a bill in the PA Senate now, Senate bill 655 that would amend this and re-add the 10 year time limit. The PA Supreme court ruled back in 2003 (PA Commonwealth v Nixon) that this law was unconstitutional but the legislature has yet to do anything about it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

Yea, I know about the Older Adult Protective Services Act here in Pennsylvania. I understand the need to protect those who cannot defend themselves. The State tho really hasn't considered what would happen if you prevent a large segment of your nurses from actually being able to hold down a legitimate job. I know that there are a few bad apples that have done some horrible things to the elderly and MR/MH but thats only a few people. What about the rest of us who would never do something to harm a patient? Is a 10, 15, or 20+ year old criminal conviction a sign of possible patient abuse?

Look at that nursing home out in Havertown (or was it Haverford)that was on the news a few months ago. Those nursing assistants messed up that elderly resident. I bet you they didn't have a criminal record but the abuse still happened.

I hope for the sake of future nurses here in PA that they pass that re-amendment. It's been at least 10 years now since the State Supreme Court declared the law unconstitutional.

tammydawn76 in Lewis Center, Ohio

36 months ago

I have had my STNA for 4 years and before that I was a Patient Care Assistant. I was recently fired and I am under investigation and will be losing my STNA license for stealing a fentanyl patch from a patient. I was in my second semester of nursing school when this happened, I have quit school cause I fear that I will not be able to get a job because of this huge mistake I made a while back. I was told I could most likely get my license but an instructor at my school said that no one will hire someone with neglect of any type on this record. Is this correct? Should I just give up on nursing school and pursue something else? Please help. Any advice would be great.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.