JOBS FOR NURSES IN RECOVERY

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 148)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

lauren in Fayetteville, North Carolina

31 months ago

Hi, I reside in Fay. NC and can not find work. I have been in the program since October of 2000. Landed a job in March 2010 and was terminated for "no reason" and I was saddened by this in October of 2011. If anyone can help please advi

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

mrsbaddarse in High Point, North Carolina

31 months ago

ATTN; nursing really suuuuuxxxxxxx.. dont punish yourself by doing it! MY HONEST OPINION IS STEER CLEAR OF NURSING

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Me in Parker, Colorado

31 months ago

I would agree sadly. we have such great knowledge and are at the bedside when no one else is as much. It's sad. Just reflects all of society's entitlements.

Frustrated in Auburndale, Florida

31 months ago

My RN license was suspended as of 2006 for a period of 3 years for diversion of narcotics. At the time I had many many family issues as well as young children and decided to be a stay at home mom and get outpatient treatment. I did complete a 28 day and 90 day residential program as well. Now I am a single mom that desperately needs to start working again and have actively been working on my recovery now for almost 6 years. My RN license is now null and void, so I will have to sit for the Boards again, which I am completely prepared to do. Does anyone now of any resources that offer assistance of any kind for those of us wanting to get our license reinstated? I live in FL.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

KindNurse in Los Angeles, California

31 months ago

I said a prayer for everyone that posted on this site (from postings dated 43 months ago and current). I prayed for your recovery, your sanity and your financial needs. It looks like in addition to the difficulty in finding a good job as scarce, finding a job- period is extending more problems. I can only tell you all that recovery is a tough step. Admitting the problem and facing the consequences is a commendable way towards change. Have you tried volunteering at hospitals that are non-nurse related? Or volunteering at shelters? Community service without a court order can give you surprising results. Recommendations (in writing) from health and education, etc organizations can build your professional and compassionate character.
These places even open doors in meeting people that are vehicles towards your recovery. I am an alcoholic -sober since 2008. I've never associated my alcoholism with nursing. But I thought I was done with nursing after 2 deaths in my family but God pursued me. I am now an educator for RN, LVN and C.N.A. programs. Perhaps, you are being led into nursing education. Something to think about. I will keep vigilant in prayer as I remember you all. Keep your postings coming. This is an incredible way for us all to keep our sanity. Remember, one day at a time.
(Are you qualified to receive unemployment benefits in your state while you wait for a job? even during probation? just curious...) God bless us all.
KindNurse

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

KindNurse in Los Angeles, California

31 months ago

bethob in Belmont, Massachusetts said: I have been lucky enough to find employment teaching medical assistants. I actually became the program chair at one school and was always looking for teachers who could teach medical terminology, pathophysiology and clinical skills.. check out some of the career schools around you and see if they are hiring

Glad to hear that, bethob in Belmont, MA. Health education is another option nurses have. Far from any chemical agents that could cause problems. Especially, if one teaches in the classroom (Theory).

Take care and best regards.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

AutiB in Wesley Chapel, Florida

31 months ago

Dear frustrated in Auburndale,FL
I had been out of nursing for 8 years. All I had to do was complete a nurses refresher course (Capscare Academy)in Florida. They mailed me the work to do and I sent it back then completed the clinicals in a hospital near the school. I thought I too had to re-take my boards but this was not so. I did have to appear in front of the BON in Orlando though. You can also do the school on line but I didn't want to. I also didn't always have a computer to use. I completed it all in about 3 months time. I hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

AutiB in Wesley Chapel, Florida

31 months ago

Frustrated in Auburndale, Florida said: My RN license was suspended as of 2006 for a period of 3 years for diversion of narcotics. At the time I had many many family issues as well as young children and decided to be a stay at home mom and get outpatient treatment. I did complete a 28 day and 90 day residential program as well. Now I am a single mom that desperately needs to start working again and have actively been working on my recovery now for almost 6 years. My RN license is now null and void, so I will have to sit for the Boards again, which I am completely prepared to do. Does anyone now of any resources that offer assistance of any kind for those of us wanting to get our license reinstated? I live in FL.

read my comment from a few minutes ago. :o)

Frustrated in Auburndale, Florida

31 months ago

AutiB in Wesley Chapel, Florida said: Dear frustrated in Auburndale,FL
I had been out of nursing for 8 years. All I had to do was complete a nurses refresher course (Capscare Academy)in Florida. They mailed me the work to do and I sent it back then completed the clinicals in a hospital near the school. I thought I too had to re-take my boards but this was not so. I did have to appear in front of the BON in Orlando though. You can also do the school on line but I didn't want to. I also didn't always have a computer to use. I completed it all in about 3 months time. I hope this helps.

Were you out of nursing due to a disciplinary action on your license and is it an RN license? I am very encouraged by your response! Thank you so very much!!

Frustrated...... in Dayton, Ohio

30 months ago

I hate reading some of these posts. My license was suspended for 2 years and I am almost to the point of reinstatement. I don't know if I will ever get a job in nursing again. So depressing to read some of these posts from everyone who isnt able to find a job. I just hope that many of us are working and don't have the time to post to these boards. Maybe there are nurses who are working so many hours that they don't have the time to browse the WWW looking for support. Sometimes, I am so depressed about the nursing situation I can't stand it. I wonder if I should get a job doing something else, but what?

jenna in Troy, Ohio

30 months ago

Go to a long term care facility and do stna
work and ask the DON & Adm. to see if they can do team nursing where you can use your license and not do what is on your restriction list. For instance I do stna work and am doing treatments, acessements, med nebs, admissions etc. and keep me out of the med cart, til my restrictions are lifted.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

thejobsguy in Cincinnati, Ohio

30 months ago

jenna in Troy, Ohio said: Go to a long term care facility and do stna
work and ask the DON & Adm. to see if they can do team nursing where you can use your license and not do what is on your restriction list. For instance I do stna work and am doing treatments, acessements, med nebs, admissions etc. and keep me out of the med cart, til my restrictions are lifted.

Great advice

bcohee001@yahoo.com in Dayton, Ohio

30 months ago

To:Jenna in Troy,Oh.Thank you for the suggestion about doing STNA work until the narc restriction is lifted.I live in Tipp City,Would you mind E-Mailing me and let me know what facility or corp.you have had success with doing that?I would really appreciate it.I have been an LPN since 1981 and cant find a job doing anything else.When I apply somewhere they ask about my nursing background and assume I will go back to it,they are probably right.I can hardly imagine doing anything else.My e-mail address is bcohee001@yahoo.com. Thanks!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

AutiB in Tampa, Florida

30 months ago

jan in South Point, Ohio said: Have you had any luck with this yet? I have some information that might help you. Do you have an email address to share and I can contact you?

I live in Florida and attended a Nurses Refresher Course that was on the BON approved list. They never asked me about my record or did a search. I wouldn't offer any info not needed to them about why you need the course other than "you have been out of nursing for a while and let your license lapse and need to meet this criteria to obtain your license."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

AutiB in Tampa, Florida

30 months ago

Frustrated in Auburndale, Florida said: Were you out of nursing due to a disciplinary action on your license and is it an RN license? I am very encouraged by your response! Thank you so very much!!

Yes, I was disciplined and voluntarily relinquished my license. It's an LPN license but that doesn't matter really. We all answer to the same BON and IPN requirements. We may have differentg contracts but equally go through the same mess.

Frustrated...... in Dayton, Ohio

30 months ago

I got a call from Davita yesterday- they know about my restrictions and licensure issues and seem to be willing to work with me. Keeping fingers crossed-

castle rocker nurse in Castle Rock, Colorado

30 months ago

Soopa Noyse in Castle Rock, Colorado said: I've experienced the same nonsense. they know what they're doing. they're just playing a legal game. Let's get a national campaign going. this is worth it.

Are you really in Castle Rock? I too am a R.N. in Castle Rock, CO I was fired from my ICU position in early October for using my patient's fentanyl waste. I found the contract offered me by peer assistance impossible to work and now will have to give up my license. After twenty years as an ICU nurse I guess I have burned out. I feel very alone and would like to communicate with someone that might understand what I'm going through.

Blanca82 in Seattle, Washington

30 months ago

Been out of work for over 2 years in WA state. No trouble with my license, although I came very close many times due to my alcoholism (no other drug use). My last job wont hire me back because of all the chances they gave me and I then messed up. Several hospitals that I was a travel nurse at wont hire me because I had attendance issues (called in sick too many times, or was no call/no show). I got hired from 3 different places, but couldnt even make it through the first day of orientation before I relapse BIG TIME...so they let me go. I'm now hoping to take a refresher course and volunteering before I even think of attempting to go back to work again. Do they take nurses who's licenses are still active? Anyone know of any financial aid for continuing nursing ed? The class is $3,000! Also, I am having a hard time finding references? Any ideas? Do hospitals sometimes accept references from volunteering positions?

bcohee001@yahoo.com in Dayton, Ohio

30 months ago

jan in South Point, Ohio said: I see that has been a long while since you posted this, did you have any success? I am now in search of a refresher course in order to be reinstated with the board. I am also licensed in Ohio. Any information with be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I believe the nursing boards and hiring managers are focusing on the 85-90% of recovering addicts who are not succesful and not on the 10-15% of us who are.I practiced as an LPN for 30 years without a derogatory mark on my record.I went thru 22 months of alcohol and drug rehab with Hamilton Co. Ohio drug court and have gotten my charge expunged.Now I am in my fifth mo.of urine screens for the Ohio board of nursing,all of which have been negative.It is truly disgusting that health care professionals cant seem to accept the fact that nurses are human,we have dealt with our disease and are better people for it.I am pissed and bitter that rehabed nurses are being treated so badly.I will try to get back into nursing,however,I am not going to subject myself to months and months of rejection and running into walls.I will go back to school in another aspect of healthcare that is not so predjidiced and closed minded.It is a shame it will probably come to that.If anyone out there has a positive twist on this issue,I would appreciate a response.Thanks,bcohee001@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

crammberry in Salt Lake City, Utah

29 months ago

I am currently looking for work in the SLC area in Utah. I am an LPN on probation and turned myself in to the BON. About a year ago I took an ambien to sleep and one night I got home from work, took an ambien, went to bed and the next thing I know I woke up in jail. What a shock. Anyway, i have no recollection of what happened. Luckily no one was hurt. THANK YOU!! The cops pulled me over because I was driving strange. My attorney got the case dismissed but before he did, I turned myself in to the BON. Anyway, I can't find a job anywhere. If you know of anyplace that is hiring please let me know.

cramberry in Salt Lake City, Utah

29 months ago

I am currently looking for work as an LPN in the Salt Lake area. I was put on probation about a year ago by the BON. I was pulled over for a DUI (took an ambien, went to bed and woke up in jail. Have no recollection of what happened. Luckily no one was hurt. Didn't get in an accident, just driving impaired.) Long story short the DUI charge was dismissed but I had already turned myself in to the nursing board. I don't do drugs or drink alcohol. If anyone knows of a place that will hire a nurse on probation please let me know!!!

tawntawn in Ravenna, Ohio

29 months ago

We work in a very non-forgiving profession. as soon as you make one mistake, all the good you have done in the past is forgotten. I have had my lisence re-instated for for over 2 years and still cannot find a job. I have been doing random drug screens for 3 years over 50 negative screens, and finally had my narcotics restrictions lifted. My only restrictions now are that I cannot work for home health or supervise, but as everyone has stated as soon as the employer hears the word restrictions or probation you are instantly "unhireable".

griffsb in Akron, Ohio

29 months ago

Tawntawn, I was previously working at RMH when I got caught diverting narcotics. I'm in recovery..90+ days clean. Just had my day in court..Intervention in lieu of Conviction and I'm waiting to hear about the Board of Nursing. My email address is svechery@gmail.com. Maybe we could be of some support to each other or just trade stories :)

Jenia_RN in Los Angeles, California

29 months ago

I am sorry to hear about the hold up in forgiving the addict. I was redeemed for 2 reasons in 2009: 1) I went back to school to move up and worked on my masters '05 to '09 with the help of financial aid, and the blessing of God, the Father; and 2) the person that hired me was not too strict on criminal backgrounds. Her take on "background" meant, "history". History meant the past. All my new employer asked me was: "Can I depend on you to make my business work?" I assured her that I was reliable. All I needed to do was to prove it. I lasted for 2.5 years. The reason why I held on was to groom my resume. I am now working on my doctorate in public health. Im working part-time as an instructor for local VN programs. Of course, my criminal background still haunts me, but the grace of God always backs me up when I ask for His help. There's NOBODY else that will help out like our God, the Father. I truly believe that when it is time for a blessing, you will know by faith, that it is time, it is the place and these are the people. I will continue to pray for you and others that are still under the stigma of our past. Please keep in touch. We will be praying.

29 months ago

Bill in Warren, Ohio said: Any luck yet? I am in the same boat restrictions and all. I love being a nurse and I know in sobriety and faith in my higher power i will work again.

I will keep on praying for you.

29 months ago

i would love to keep in touch. no one else understands how difficult it is for nurses who have any type of "drug offense". The healthcare industry is literally unforgiving.I have been through it all and will be happy to answer any questions or just give you moral support.

29 months ago

jenna in Troy, Ohio said: Go to a long term care facility and do stna

Another option here in California is to choose a different area of nursing. Slowly, work into an area like case management, minimum data set (MDS), or ward clerk. The trend these days is health information technology (HIT). These are all considered nursing administration. NO patient contact, no meds to worry about. If you have tech schools in your state (e.g. ITT Tech, Summit, UEI, etc) then it maybe something you should consider. We all should learn how to beat the system- not allowing the system beat us all up. We have families to feed and children to raise. My prayers go out to you all. Really, I am praying for my sis-friends in the East part of America. Hang in there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

griffsb in Akron, Ohio

29 months ago

Maybe I'm being unrealistic but I want to go back to the field I worked in before. I worked labor and delivery and I was very good at it! I started right out of school getting hired into the "Birth Center". Labor and delivery came easy to me..it's all I know and all It's all I want to know. I was just getting ready to take my test for the "Inpatient Obstetrics" and become certified when I got caught. And then I read all your stories and all my hopes go right down the drain. It sounds like the average suspension for narcotic diversion is 3 years? That's a long time. Plus I have a shaky marriage, our plan was to stay together for the next year until my felony is expunnged, but I don't think it's going to be that easy. I knew there were going to be punishments involved,
But do we have to pay for our mistakes for the rest of our lives?

29 months ago

Just hang in there, remember you are not alone. I was a nurse for 20 years when i told the pharmacist my doc ok'd a refill on my vicodin (she was a friend)and when they couldnt reach her i was convicted of attempting to obtain .... My doc threw me under the bus. I have only had 2 jobs as an RN and have never been in trouble. Always had superior evals.You think the BON would look at the whole picture..not just our one f up.I have had my licence back for 2 years and still cant get a job! I cry alot but keep plugging along.

griffsb in Akron, Ohio

29 months ago

tawntawn in Ravenna, Ohio said: Just hang in there, remember you are not alone. I was a nurse for 20 years when i told the pharmacist my doc ok'd a refill on my vicodin (she was a friend)and when they couldnt reach her i was convicted of attempting to obtain .... My doc threw me under the bus. I have only had 2 jobs as an RN and have never been in trouble. Always had superior evals.You think the BON would look at the whole picture..not just our one f up.I have had my licence back for 2 years and still cant get a job! I cry alot but keep plugging along.

Wow, that's a bummer...over a simple misunderstanding. I had never been in trouble before either, but when I f***ed up, I did it big. And I'm just so mad at myself bc it didn't have to happen. I was in a great place with a great job. Addiction is a dangerous disease!. It's too bad the BON has no interest in helping us instead of tearing us down. Are you close to retirement?

jen in Troy, Ohio

29 months ago

tawntawn,
How did u get your restrictions lifted if u can't find a job and haven't worked in that field? i've been doing this since feb. of 2010, i have 40 clean drug screens and just found a job in the field. the BON tells me that my probation just now started in march. they said everything that i've already has done doesn't count. they gave me dates for the next 3 yrs. for the employer to fill out. just wondering.

YoungRN in West Monroe, Louisiana

28 months ago

I am a 26 y/o RN with a perfect school, work, preofessional, & criminal record, and no drug hx, as well as being very well respected in my community. I just started the Recovering nurse program in Louisiana due to a disciplinary action taken upon my license due to opiate use. I had only taken narcotic pain med once in my life, after breaking 2 ribs that caused me to be in excruciating pain. A few months later, my father, who was the most important person in my life as well as my biggest fan & supporter, died of liver dx from 30+ years of alcohol addiction & depression. I took care of him the last few months of his life as he struggled and suffered so badly. After 2 weeks in ICU in an encephalapathic coma, liver failure, kidney failure, respiratory failure & on a vent, Pneumonia, Sepsis, bed sores, as well as lab values thatwere practically incompatible w life, drs told us there was nothing left they could do. I tried so hard to save him. Pushed the drs to try new txs, new rxs,, cont. dialysis, I even pushed for a liver transplant but it was just too late. I held his lifeless hand as they stopped the pressors, adm a large dose of narcotics, and DCd his ET tube.While lying my head of his chest, to hear his heart beat those last few beats, he struggled for 35 min gasping for air, fighting so hard to live, but then it was all over. My dad died while in my arms, & I never had the chance to say goodbye that was most pain I had ever felt,I actually didn't know pain like that existed. This was on Jan 22 2012. And this is when it began. I had pain medication left over from my previous injury as well as his old medications and I began self medicating with anything from Lortab to Percocet, to ultram. It was the only thing that could actually make me feel good, or feel anything at all again, the only thing that could take away this awful pain. After only 4 mos I was caught & have now absolutely ruined my life. I am so scarded, I need any info about this program that u can give

Ron in New Iberia, Louisiana

28 months ago

YoungRN in West Monroe, Louisiana said: I am a 26 y/o RN with a perfect school, work, preofessional, & criminal record, and no drug hx, as well as being very well respected in my community . I just started the Recovering nurse program in Louisiana due to a disciplinary action taken upon my license due to opiate use. I had only taken narcotic pain med once in my life, after breaking 2 ribs that caused me to be in excruciating pain. A few months later, my father, who was the most important person in my life as well as my biggest fan & supporter, died of liver dx from 30+ years of alcohol addiction & depression. I took care of him the last few months of his life as he struggled and suffered so badly. After 2 weeks in ICU in an encephalapathic coma, liver failure, kidney failure, respiratory failure & on a vent, Pneumonia, Sepsis, bed sores, as well as lab values thatwere practically incompatible w life, drs told us there was nothing left they could do. I tried so hard to save him. Pushed the drs to try new txs, new rxs,, cont. dialysis, I even pushed for a liver transplant but it was just too late. I held his lifeless hand as they stopped the pressors, adm a large dose of narcotics, and DCd his ET tube.While lying my head of his chest, to hear his heart beat those last few beats, he struggled for 35 min gasping for air, fighting so hard to live, but then it was all over. My dad died while in my arms, & I never had the chance to say goodbye that was most pain I had ever felt,I actually didn't know pain like that existed. This was on Jan 22 2012. And this is when it began. I had pain medication left over from my previous injury as well as his old medications and I began self medicating with anything from Lortab to Percocet, to ultram. It was the only thing that could actually make me feel good, or feel anything at all again, the only thing that could take away this awful pain. After only 4 mos I was caught & have now absolutely ruined my life. I am so scarded, I

Bob Cohee in Tipp City, Ohio

28 months ago

jen in Troy, Ohio said: Have any of you found a job yet? It's next to impossible around here. I left work with a pill in my pocket that I forgot to waste, and I admitted to it. The truth got me into big trouble. They had me come into work 8 hrs. later and take a drug screen and I passed. DON said that she had to report it to OBN. They gave me 4mo. suspension on my license, 6 mo.narc. restrictions 3 yrs. probation, ceu's,conscent agreement has to be given to every employer and any dr.s. I have to attend 1 n/a meeting per week and do the random call in everyday for 3yrs. for drug screens. I've had intereviews but when they find out about restrictions they say it's against co. policy. I even applied for stna jobs and am told the same thing.My complaince mamager doesn't know what she's talking about half the time. I been on probation 1 yr., doing meetings and call in everyday an she says it don't start until I get a job. I've already done 17 drug screens at 41.00 a test. THIS SUCKS!

jen in Troy,I know what you are saying,I just sent in my letter for reinstatment.It has truly been a nightmare.22 months of drug and alcohol tx. thru Hamilton co. drug court,the charge has been expunged.(1 percocet).6 mo. of drug screening,NA mtgs.1 time a week,and everything else the Board wants.Now comes the hope for an interview.If you have any luck or just want to vent, let me know.I live in Tipp City.

rnlatina2012@hotmail.com in Graniteville, South Carolina

28 months ago

brenda.cook in Columbia, South Carolina said: I have been looking for a LPN position for 16 months and have not been sucessful. I am willing to work in any setting and I will work as a CNA , unit seceretary, marketing, etc. My daughter and I will be homeless soon if something doesnt happen soon. I have 25 plus years experienc. If there is anything out there , please email me at cook .brenda53@yahoo.com.

I am an RN who had a drug restriction and I have only been out of work for 6 months but I can't help but worry everyday I wake up. I still hold out hope of finding a job in the Columbia, SC area so if anyone can help me I would appreciate it. Email me @ rnlatina2012@hotmail.

NurseLPN in Foley, Alabama

27 months ago

Ron in New Iberia, Louisiana said:

I feel your pain! I have been monitored now by Alabama BON for over 6 years. You are at their mercy! You will have to do exactly what they tell you to do if you want to remain a nurse. I went to 14 weeks of inpatient treatment 5 weeks of aftercare, over one year of counsiling drug testing for over 6 years. On top of it all after 5 years of monitoring they told me to give up my license or quit my job due to not being monitored by a RN or physician. If you are willing to do whatever it takes to get your live back in order then it can be done. I had a hard time finding a job after quiting in order to keep my license but I am now employed. Do Gods will and it will work out. Good luck!

Santa, RN in Dayton, Ohio

27 months ago

I have been reading this thread for quite some time. I see that several of you are also in Ohio. This is the week that I can ask for my Ohio license to be reinstated. Hopefully, the board will see that I have been committed to my recovery an am ready to be licensed again. It has been over 2 years since my initial 'problems'- I had a two year suspension for my 'crime'. Received 'treatment in lieu of conviction' and have since had my felony charge removed from my criminal record. Now for the really hard part,finding a job with a narcotic restriction. I have a few leads/possiblities already, but from everyone I have ever talked to, the job situation is harder than the suspension/punishment. Will keep in touch via this discussion group and let you all know how it is going. To those of you who are recently starting this journey, time passes and things do start looking up again. Keeping fingers crossed for me and for all of you also :-)

griffsb in Akron, Ohio

27 months ago

@Santa-I wish you nothing but the best and I am hopeful regarding you getting your license back. Please let me know how that goes for you. I, too, am on Intervention in lieu of Conviction. My probation just started in April of this year. I've been off work since August of last year and so far there has no consent agreement finalized with board of nursing. I'm hopefully anyday now that the phone call will come from my llawyer and I can find out what other hoops I have to jump through. I will be interested in hearing how your job search goes. Keep in touch thru this feed.

griffsb in Akron, Ohio

27 months ago

@Santa-I wish you nothing but the best and I am hopeful regarding you getting your license back. Please let me know how that goes for you. I, too, am on Intervention in lieu of Conviction. My probation just started in April of this year. I've been off work since August of last year and so far there has no consent agreement finalized with board of nursing. I'm hopefully anyday now that the phone call will come from my llawyer and I can find out what other hoops I have to jump through. I will be interested in hearing how your job search goes. Keep in touch thru this feed.

debbie in Bethania, North Carolina

26 months ago

I am so glad I found this site. It is so good to know I am not alone. I was terminated from my employer after 17 yrs in 2006 for diversion. The hospital brought charges against me and when the courts were finished with me i ended up with a felony misdermenor. My license was reinstated with restrictions and it took me 14 mos to find a job in a hospital. I finished the program with the BON in November 2010. I relapsed July 2011 and was caught and placed in FMLA in December 2011. My employer told me I could return after my license was reinstahate to end my career ted. My license was reinstated in June 2012. I called my employer and told them I was ready to return to work and my former diredtor called me last week and shaid they had decided not to take me back. I know from past experience that to find a job with a history of addiction is close to impossible. The random drug testing in NC is 76.00 and you test approximately twice a month. It is very expensive. I have been a nurse 34 yrs and am ready to hang it up. My husband works and we can make it on his salery but it's still a struggle. I am seriously considering becoming a "retired nurse"

26 months ago

I too am awaiting reinstatment.I completed drug court in Cincinnati and the charge has been expunged.I just completed urine screening for the BON in Ohio,All negative.I think if I am stupid enough to do drugs or alcohol again somebody should just put a bullet in my skull and get it over with.Good luck,Bob Cohee

26 months ago

Santa, RN in Dayton, Ohio said: I have been reading this thread for quite some time. I see that several of you are also in Ohio. This is the week that I can ask for my Ohio license to be reinstated. Hopefully, the board will see that I have been committed to my recovery an am ready to be licensed again. It has been over 2 years since my initial 'problems'- I had a two year suspension for my 'crime'. Received 'treatment in lieu of conviction' and have since had my felony charge removed from my criminal record. Now for the really hard part,finding a job with a narcotic restriction. I have a few leads/possiblities already, but from everyone I have ever talked to, the job situation is harder than the suspension/punishment. Will keep in touch via this discussion group and let you all know how it is going. To those of you who are recently starting this journey, time passes and things do start looking up again. Keeping fingers crossed for me and for all of you also :-)

Santa,Your situation sounds exactly like mine.From what I am hearing it will be next to impossible to find a nursing job.So much for Addiction is a disease,nurses in general are a bunch of close minded hypocrites.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nursee Nurse in Torrance, California

26 months ago

My heart goes out to everyone that is pending employment from understanding people that care to give people a second chance.
God knows. I will keep praying for you all.

26 months ago

debbie in Bethania, North Carolina said: I am so glad I found this site. It is so good to know I am not alone. I was terminated from my employer after 17 yrs in 2006 for diversion. The hospital brought charges against me and when the courts were finished with me i ended up with a felony misdermenor. My license was reinstated with restrictions and it took me 14 mos to find a job in a hospital. I finished the program with the BON in November 2010. I relapsed July 2011 and was caught and placed in FMLA in December 2011. My employer told me I could return after my license was reinstahate to end my career ted. My license was reinstated in June 2012. I called my employer and told them I was ready to return to work and my former diredtor called me last week and shaid they had decided not to take me back. I know from past experience that to find a job with a history of addiction is close to impossible. The random drug testing in NC is 76.00 and you test approximately twice a month. It is very expensive. I have been a nurse 34 yrs and am ready to hang it up. My husband works and we can make it on his salery but it's still a struggle. I am seriously considering becoming a "retired nurse"

34 years is a long time, Debbie. Sounds like you have an opportunity to help build a new or a current health ministry in your community. God bless you and your decision.

26 months ago

Dear Young Nurse,

I am so sorry to hear about your father. This is so devastating. I understand. I hope you find yourself into rehab. I know one thing for sure is my recovery happened only after I felt like it was time to give up my addiction. I will pray for your recovery and next steps into rehab.
If you haven't already here is a website that can help you.

www.lsbn.state.la.us/Portals/1/Documents/rnp/rnppamphlet.pdf

Best blessings,
Nursee Nurse in CA

Kay in South Haven, Michigan

26 months ago

changeme said: I need help. Is there a nurses support group anywhere??? If not, we should start one.

YES! I had my license suspended a year ago. I finally began trying to get it back about 4 months ago. What a bunch of red tape! I don't understand much of it but am obviously learning "hands-on". I have been dealing with the Attorney General's office too. I am in Michigan. I was in the state recovery program HPRP. They kicked me out on my 3rd relapse. Hence, the board suspended my license. I'm going back into HPRP (it's awful-very poorly run). And after I do as they say and stay clean for 6 months and 1 day I am supposed to get my licensne re-instated. However, they don't want me passing narcotics or working nights. Where can i get a good paying job with those restrictions? I long to return to the hospital setting. I am an ER nurse by heart. I've done dialysis (addict-friendly) but it was soooo boring. I would absolutely LOVE a website dedicated to health care professionals in recovery. We need it. There are so many of us we could be quite a force if we could all come together. Could it even become a type of organization? We are not bad people. We are wonderful, highly intelligent, compassionate people. Unfortunately, we have a disease. Not diabetes, not cancer, but addiction. The American Medical Association defines addiction as a brain disease. One would think the healthcare industry would take more attention to this matter and disease that is so unknowingly rampant. E-mail me at dotingbeauty@yahoo.com. Thanks all my friends for listening. Thumbs up to us all!

26 months ago

changeme said: I need help. Is there a nurses support group anywhere??? If not, we should start one.

YES! I had my license suspended a year ago. I finally began trying to get it back about 4 months ago. What a bunch of red tape! I don't understand much of it but am obviously learning "hands-on". I have been dealing with the Attorney General's office too. I am in Michigan. I was in the state recovery program HPRP. They kicked me out on my 3rd relapse. Hence, the board suspended my license. I'm going back into HPRP (it's awful-very poorly run). And after I do as they say and stay clean for 6 months and 1 day I am supposed to get my licensne re-instated. However, they don't want me passing narcotics or working nights. Where can i get a good paying job with those restrictions? I long to return to the hospital setting. I am an ER nurse by heart. I've done dialysis (addict-friendly) but it was soooo boring. I would absolutely LOVE a website dedicated to health care professionals in recovery. We need it. There are so many of us we could be quite a force if we could all come together. Could it even become a type of organization? We are not bad people. We are wonderful, highly intelligent, compassionate people. Unfortunately, we have a disease. Not diabetes, not cancer, but addiction. The American Medical Association defines addiction as a brain disease. One would think the healthcare industry would take more attention to this matter and disease that is so unknowingly rampant. E-mail me at dotingbeauty@yahoo.com. Thanks all my friends for listening. Thumbs up to us all!

Becca in Atlanta, Georgia

26 months ago

mrsbaddarse in High Point, North Carolina said: ATTN; nursing really suuuuuxxxxxxx.. dont punish yourself by doing it! MY HONEST OPINION IS STEER CLEAR OF NURSING

Sounds like you never should have gotten into it in the first place...let me guess...reasonable pay and recession proof were your driving motivators, right?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Becca in Atlanta, Georgia

26 months ago

YoungRN in West Monroe, Louisiana said:

My heart and my prayers go out to you. May the Lord grant you the strength and support to deal with your losses and depression.
The things that weigh you today, eventually WILL get lighter. I would encourage you to get help first, then worry about the Board. It's a long life, baby, and worth fighting for!

Everytime I return to this board, I pray for everyone of you. I understand your pain and fears, and I respect your courage. Live well.

26 months ago

Bob Cohee in Tipp City, Ohio said: Things would not seem so bleak if you get SERIOUS and stop relapsing.

Gee, thanks for your understanding. You must be one of the great. I am serious and I still relapsed. Hats of to you.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.