JOBS FOR NURSES IN RECOVERY

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 148 of 148)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

Kay in South Haven, Michigan

25 months ago

Becca in Atlanta, Georgia said: Sounds like you never should have gotten into it in the first place...let me guess...reasonable pay and recession proof were your driving motivators, right?

Perhaps you are right. I've wondered. However, I wanted nursing. I love nursing. And with the exception of being sick, I am a damn good nurse. I do belong in the profession. I never, ever had a drug or alcohol problem until 5 years ago at the age of 37. I had been a successful RN for several years. This alcoholism (drug of choice but did divert Dilaudid and Fentanyl about 10 times) really snuck up on me). I'm certain any "true" addict/alcoholic would understand that drugs and alcohol are, as AA says, "cunning, baffling, powerful...without help it is too much for us.." I am (and have been) clean for some time. I use AA (I am a believer), weekly, individual sessions, my family physician and an addictionist. I've been in treatment 4 times. I am certainly not bragging about that. It sucks and I never want to go back. Nevertheless, I have learned A LOT about the disease. I really didn't know how to take your comment. An earlier one made me feel like one of looking down their nose at me and kinda hurt. I'd like to hear from people who understand and are kind. I am NOT looking for sympathy. Regardless of being an alcoholic/addict I completely understand I am responsible for my actions!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

I am still looking for people with insight and interest who would be interested in creating an organization for the education and support of health care professionals with drug and alcohol problems. If anyone knows of such a person, contact me! I'd love a partner or two or two thousand!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

Becca in Atlanta, Georgia said:

Thank you so much for your prayers and words of kindness. My personal beliefs are in Jesus Christ and God. They are my source of strength and hope. But hearing from people like you, and being graced by your prayers, certainly go a long way too. Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Becca in Atlanta, Georgia

25 months ago

@ Kay, regarding: 'I really didn't know how to take your comment." I was replying to 'mrsbaddarse in High Point, North Carolina,' who said: ATTN; nursing really suuuuuxxxxxxx.. dont punish yourself by doing it! MY HONEST OPINION IS STEER CLEAR OF NURSING.

I suggested that SHE sounded as if she should never have gone into this field.

Becca in Atlanta, Georgia

25 months ago

Kay, I believe those of us who love this work probably did it before we ever even heard about nursing school or got a license, and will continue to do it long after official retirement. It is a drive to care, to help, to be involved, to make a difference. It is not for everyone, and does not appear to be for "mrsbaddarse."

It's hard enough. It is truly hard enough for those called and driven to do it. I can't imagine one fighting the (only seemingly) insurmountable issue of battling a mental health disease disguised as a drug problem while attempting to pursue the privilege of continuing the drive, when they NEVER should have entered the profession to start off with!! The classes, tests, exams, meetings appearances, etc required to reinstate or lift restrictions are financially and emotionally exhausting (relationship have been destroyed during the process!) and only someone who has a true passion for this work (like griffsb) should fight to remain after such a setback.

A non-nurse working as a nurse will likely end up embittered and dangerous. We've seem them - people that hate the job but keep working because they're close to retirement, or just got a divorce or paid too much for school and have to get their moneys worth or whatever. Coworkers can't trust them, patients SHOULDN'T trust them, and management..well. This isn't one of a thousand jobs that most or even many can fill. Having knowledge doesn't make one a teacher; Having a baby doesn't make one maternal, and having a license does not make one a nurse. It's in you, or it's not.

But for those that are on this thread, and KNOW its in them, because I DO understand and because I respect them, I don't want them reading junk like "mrsbaddarse" comment..When you are fragile, sometimes it only takes one last negative thing. This thread was started by someone who needed help. It's continued by those wanting or offering help. Who did she help?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

griffsb in Akron, Ohio

25 months ago

I finally heard back from my BON. I received 1 yr of suspension, 3 yrs probation and 1 yr narcotic restriction plus all the other fun stuff that comes with it..lol. It is daunting for sure, but I WILL make it back. I'm just going to have to sell myself. I know I'm a good nurse...I'm a good nurse who got sick with a disease called addiction. I'm treating my addiction...I've been clean for 6 months now and rehab is hard work, but good work and I've learned alot. Unfortunately, I've lost my marriage as a result of what I did. I'm sad about that, but I also know it's the best thing for us right now. We can barely speak without fighting. So sometimes your nursing license isn't all you lose.

debbie in Bethania, North Carolina

25 months ago

griffs in Akron. This was my third relapse. I have been nursing for 33 years. My licese was suspended for 6 mos. I got it back with restrictions. Cannot have access to narcotics for 1 years. No nights. No home health, ER, etc. I have to drug test for the next 3 years and the 3 years does not start til I become employed in nursing. Luckily my husband and kids are very supportive. we have been married for 30 years . He is wonderful. I am seriously thinking of retiring and just do volunteer work. I will pray fro your and your husband and that god guides you

griffsb in Akron, Ohio

25 months ago

@Debbie--I'm sorry that you've had the 3 relapses. From one addict to another, I can appreciate how crushing and disappointing it must've been each time. Don't give up! Don't let them chase you away from nursing, if you're not ready to go! It doesn't sound like volunteering is where your heart lies, but only you know the answer to that! Thanks for your kind thoughts and prayers. I appreciate them! I am definitely sad my marriage is ending, but somewhere during 5 years of drug abuse I let it slip away. Hard to maintain a marriage or take care of your kids they way I should've in a drug filled haze. It's pretty sad that after 23 years of marriage we didn't fight harder to save our marriage. Well, that's enough of that boring stuff. At any rate, Debbie I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Make the decision you know in your heart is right!

25 months ago

Hi. I've been under the weather lately. I became alcoholic after gastric bypass in 2006. I have had major complications making me anorexic. Hate it. Anyway, I understand exactly what you are talking about. I, too, lost my husband over this. A great man. 2 beautiful kids. Home, etc. People don't understand. They can be cruel. Of course, when I'm drunk or high I can be a real piece of work myself. Anyhow, keep me in your contacts and stay in touch. Facebook is a good idea. Talk with you later about it. Best. K.

melissa_m87 in Columbus, Ohio

24 months ago

Hello all I just spent about an hour reading all of your comments so here's my story...in 2008 I went to visit my brother at my fathers with my mom & sister a fight broke out btwn my father & sister long story short I ended up with a burglary & attempted kidnapping charge which I ended up taking a plea bargain under the advice of a court appointed attorney of trespassing(misdemeanor) & aggravated menacing(misdemeanor) because I just wanted it all to end...in 2010 I entered nursing school under the belief that my background would cause me no problems I graduated July 31 2011 then came time for me to test took me 8 months just to get approved to sit for boards finally did April 18th 2012, passed & they send me a consent agreement with 2 years probation, 3.5 hrs of CEUs, I can't do home health, hospice, or supervise...do you guys think I will be able to get a job at all I've put in about 50 apps with not so much as an interveiw..any advice feel free to respond or email me at melissa_m87@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bob Cohee in Tipp City, Ohio

24 months ago

Kay in South Haven, Michigan said: Gee, thanks for your understanding. You must be one of the great. I am serious and I still relapsed. Hats of to you.

Kay,I do not mean to be harsh.I am not that great,just determined.It would be easy for me to relapse.So far I have been lucky.GOOD LUCK!!!

feeling alone in Tallmadge, Ohio

24 months ago

griffsb in Akron, Ohio said: @Santa-I wish you nothing but the best and I am hopeful regarding you getting your license back. Please let me know how that goes for you. I, too, am on Intervention in lieu of Conviction. My probation just started in April of this year. I've been off work since August of last year and so far there has no consent agreement finalized with board of nursing. I'm hopefully anyday now that the phone call will come from my llawyer and I can find out what other hoops I have to jump through. I will be interested in hearing how your job search goes. Keep in touch thru this feed.

Hi there,
I just came upon this site and I saw that some of you are from the Akron area, which I am too. I just got a letter from the board saying I have a stayed suspension with temp narc restrictions, the drug testing, pretty much what you all seem to have gone through. I'm an LPN but I'm half way done with RN school. I'm freaking out I know if my name gets publishes,someone will see it,I may get kicked out of school. I really don't have money for a lawyer (I've been unemployed for a long time,part of the reason I went back to school)but I don't really agree with the board.What should I do?If I even somehow got a lawyer,would it do any good?I was fired in '09 from my 1st LPN job (after 3 yrs)because on a drug test my urine was diluted and I did not take the repeat one, also a client lied and said I was stealing meds, and to top it off, I have been on Suboxone 2 different times, but I honestly just went on Sub to get off of the heavy-duty pain management drugs I was on.Anyways, I'm so sad and confused and lost.I haven't even told my husband yet, it kills me to think of what he'll say or do.I have a six year old son.Please just knowing I'm not alone will help me right now.Thanks

griffsb in Akron, Ohio

24 months ago

@feeling alone- what happens with a stayed suspension? I have to confess I'm not familiar with all the possible punishments. It sounds like you need some professional help and support and I don't mean it in a judgmental way. It sounds like you were/are an opiate addict? Sorry I'm making so many assumptions, but I'm trying to fill in the blanks :) Have you ever received treatment before? I'm currently at Edwin Shaw doing their IOP. I've been doing good and it's helped me tremendously! In regards to getting a lawyer, I would say yes. They can explain everything to you and help you in your dealings with the BON. I had a great lawyer and I can give you her name and number if you want. Email me for that if you're interested-my email address is svechery@gmail.com. But most importantly, you are NOT alone! Here's a saying I found that is so appropriate--"Don't judge my path, if you have not walked my journey" Please email me, if I can help. Or contact me here.
I'll be thinking about you!

jeff b in Dayton, Ohio

23 months ago

Bob Cohee in Tipp City, Ohio said: jen in Troy,I know what you are saying,I just sent in my letter for reinstatment.It has truly been a nightmare.22 months of drug and alcohol tx. thru Hamilton co. drug court ,the charge has been expunged.(1 percocet).6 mo. of drug screening,NA mtgs.1 time a week,and everything else the Board wants.Now comes the hope for an interview.If you have any luck or just want to vent, let me know.I live in Tipp City .

Bob; just came upon this forum searching for support and to offer support. Looking for assistance with employment contact. Nurse addicts have so much to offer yet are passed over so readily because of the obvious. If you have time to share please respond. Thanks.

Bob Cohee in Tipp City, Ohio

23 months ago

jeff b.in Dayton,Thanks for the response.My e-mail is bcohee001@yahoo.com if you would like to communicate further.Thanks again Bob

allison in Leamington, Ontario

23 months ago

Omg I am going through the process of being reinstated I also will have stiff conditions plus I have a record now....a double whammy..

DEB in Independence, Ohio said: I'M A RECOVERING NURSE AND HAVE BEEN RE-INSTATED WITH THE BOARD. I'VE BEEN SOBER 5-1/2 YRS AND AM SEEKING A JOB. DOES ANYONE KNOW OF AN EMPLOYER WHO HIRES NURSES IN RECOVERY WITH RESTRICTIONS ON THEIR LICENSE ON PROBATIONARY TERMS? I'M LOOKING FOR A HOSPITAL JOB BECAUSE THAT'S WHERE I'D BEST FIT IN WITH MY RESTRICTIONS. I CAN GIVE MEDS EXCLUDING NARCOTICS FOR 5 YRS. I COMPLETED A REFRESHER COURSE. THE PROBATION REQUIRES MY EMPLOYER TO FILL OUT A PERFORMANCE EVALUATION FORM EVERY 4 MONTHS...THAT'S REALLY IT. SUGGESTIONS WOULD REALLY BE APPRECIATED! OH AND IF YOU ARE STRUGGLING WITH CHEMICAL DEPENDENCY GET HELP. THE CONSEQUENCES CAN BE DEVASTATIING. LIFE IS SO MUCH BETTER THIS WAY! I COULD NOT STOP ON MY OWN. THE BOARD OF NURSING AND PHARMACY INTERVENED AND THE RAMIFICATIONS OF MY ACTIONS WILL BE WITH ME FOR A LONG TIME! I'M TRULY BLESSED AND GRATEFUL FOR A SECOND CHANCE. BEING A NURSE IS TRULY A PRIVILEGE. IF YOU ARE SICK AND STRUGGLING THERE IS HELP OUT THERE FOR YOU! WHEN I BECAME A NURSE I CERTAINLY DID NOT INTEND TO BECOME AN ADDICT! IT'S A TERRIBLE FATAL DISEASE. THANKS FOR ANY INPUT. I APPRECIATE YOUR HELP!!!

Tlr67 in Wheeling, West Virginia

23 months ago

griffsb in Akron, Ohio said: Does anyone have any experience with being on Suboxone? Will any place even hire you if you are on that? I start my induction process next week and the doctor told me I would be on it 11/2-3 yrs? Apparently because I was in pain mgmt and taking narcotics for so long. I worked L&D for 11 years and I have to say, I miss it. But I'll probably never get anyone to hire me again in that field.

You dont have to reveal that you are on Suboxone to an employer.

Tlr67 in Wheeling, West Virginia

23 months ago

feeling alone in Tallmadge, Ohio said: Hi there,
I just came upon this site and I saw that some of you are from the Akron area, which I am too. I just got a letter from the board saying I have a stayed suspension with temp narc restrictions, the drug testing, pretty much what you all seem to have gone through. I'm an LPN but I'm half way done with RN school. I'm freaking out I know if my name gets publishes,someone will see it,I may get kicked out of school. I really don't have money for a lawyer (I've been unemployed for a long time,part of the reason I went back to school)but I don't really agree with the board.What should I do?If I even somehow got a lawyer,would it do any good?I was fired in '09 from my 1st LPN job (after 3 yrs)because on a drug test my urine was diluted and I did not take the repeat one, also a client lied and said I was stealing meds, and to top it off, I have been on Suboxone 2 different times, but I honestly just went on Sub to get off of the heavy-duty pain management drugs I was on.Anyways, I'm so sad and confused and lost.I haven't even told my husband yet, it kills me to think of what he'll say or do.I have a six year old son.Please just knowing I'm not alone will help me right now.Thanks

Nursing boards are extremely pathetic in every state. They make you feel like garbage over the smallest of things. It is so sad that there is no support groups for nurses, we are probably the most compassionate and caring people alive and we get treated like human waste.
Im considering leaving nursing and going back to school to become a couselor, phychologist, something and I will first and fore most help the nurses!!!

Me_me in Columbus, Ohio

23 months ago

feeling alone in Tallmadge, Ohio said: Hi there,

Please please get a lawyer before you sign that agreement. I don't have anything on my record like drugs or anything but I have 2 minor misdemeanors and I have a consent agreement I wish I would have got a lawyer before I signed it biggest mistake bc after I signed it I have not been able to get a job & so a called a lawyer he basically told me if I had called him before I signed the consent he could have helped me...ESP get a lawyer if you plan on practicing in Ohio we have the strictest rules on nurses

Jacquepierce03 in Fort Worth, Texas

22 months ago

DEB in Independence, Ohio said: I'M A RECOVERING NURSE AND HAVE BEEN RE-INSTATED WITH THE BOARD. I'VE BEEN SOBER 5-1/2 YRS AND AM SEEKING A JOB. DOES ANYONE KNOW OF AN EMPLOYER WHO HIRES NURSES IN RECOVERY WITH RESTRICTIONS ON THEIR LICENSE ON PROBATIONARY TERMS? I'M LOOKING FOR A HOSPITAL JOB BECAUSE THAT'S WHERE I'D BEST FIT IN WITH MY RESTRICTIONS. I CAN GIVE MEDS EXCLUDING NARCOTICS FOR 5 YRS. I COMPLETED A REFRESHER COURSE. THE PROBATION REQUIRES MY EMPLOYER TO FILL OUT A PERFORMANCE EVALUATION FORM EVERY 4 MONTHS...THAT'S REALLY IT. SUGGESTIONS WOULD REALLY BE APPRECIATED! OH AND IF YOU ARE STRUGGLING WITH CHEMICAL DEPENDENCY GET HELP. THE CONSEQUENCES CAN BE DEVASTATIING.
LIFE IS SO MUCH BETTER THIS WAY! I COULD NOT STOP ON MY OWN. THE BOARD OF NURSING AND PHARMACY INTERVENED AND THE RAMIFICATIONS OF MY ACTIONS WILL BE WITH ME FOR A LONG TIME! I'M TRULY BLESSED AND GRATEFUL FOR A SECOND CHANCE. BEING A NURSE IS TRULY A PRIVILEGE. IF YOU ARE SICK AND STRUGGLING THERE IS HELP OUT THERE FOR YOU! WHEN I BECAME A NURSE I CERTAINLY DID NOT INTEND TO BECOME AN ADDICT! IT'S A TERRIBLE FATAL DISEASE. THANKS FOR ANY INPUT. I APPRECIATE YOUR HELP!!!

We are not able to do home health in Texas on probation either. I have recently started on probation and can not find a job any where, just signed up with Texas Workforce Solutions, so I will let you know if that helps, good luck! It sucks, I have been clean 7 years!

11 months sober, Nursing STUDENT! in Grand Rapids, Michigan

22 months ago

There was another person who was from michigan (kay?), I'd like to speak to you.

Well, in 2006 I fell 3 stories off of an apartment staircase (moldy railing), and herniated several discs in my back...etc. Yeah, it was no bueno. After tons of PT and everything else, I decided to go to a pain clinic at the advice of my doctor. WORST CHOICE OF MY LIFE. They hand out drugs like candy, guiltfree. I started off with just taking 500mg vicodin as needed...then bumped up to 10mg norco, then bumped up to 20 oxy, then oxy with 1-4mg of dilaudid. What kind of responsible pain clinic doesnt realize the signs of increased tolerance, and if they did, why would they respond by giving me higher doeses of more potent drugs?! At first I 'knew' I didn't have a problem...then my friends started to notice. But everytime I dropped those 3-10 norcos into my mouth, it was BLISS. Life was good, and I was f-ing happy. I worked through 3 years of pre-reqs to get into my RN clinicals while STONED, but happy and getting straight A's. It has been almost a year since my sobriety b-day (which i will celebrate with a delicious cake!). I've been in clinicals for a while now, and we're getting access to drug carts and dosing meds. I'm on ortho trauma, and they hand out a lot of pain meds. I've been on suboxone for this past year, and have almost weaned off...but I'm still nervous. I've had a few urges to use since I quit, but NEVER DID. Now I'm around it all day. But how do you trust yourself? I keep telling myself that I'd never divert from a pt, because that is just WRONG. I only abused my own meds. But what if I see someone blissfully happy all messed up on Oxy, and I want that taste? Will that happen? I've been around friends doing coke, drinking...but they aren't my choice drugs...and I avoid anyone who likes my 'drugs of choice' (narcs). I wish I could have someone keep an eye on me w/o the stigma that comes along with 'addiction'... suggestions?

Sarasmyle RN in East Providence, Rhode Island

20 months ago

Im ready, Im sick of it. Lets band together and go public. Website, blogs, peer-review, study, legislation. We need help. Some of us are legitimately being branded with the scarlet letter.

email me if your ready to start a movement.

sarasmyle1128@gmail.com

rnonprobation in Auburn, Alabama

20 months ago

Can you tell me what job you got? I am on 3 years of probation after suffering a mental breakdown at work - violation of license because I was "disruptive in a work environment". Tox screens were negative, but they still required inpatient drug rehab and AA attendance. Got my license back after 9 months, but probationary. My previous employer, who claimed that I would "always have a job there" dropped me instantly since my license is probationary. Said I could reapply after working elsewhere for a year - have applied to everything in a 1 hour radius, but no luck so far...........

NurseLPN in Foley, Alabama

20 months ago

rnonprobation in Auburn, Alabama said: Can you tell me what job you got? I am on 3 years of probation after suffering a mental breakdown at work - violation of license because I was "disruptive in a work environment". Tox screens were negative, but they still required inpatient drug rehab and AA attendance. Got my license back after 9 months, but probationary. My previous employer, who claimed that I would "always have a job there" dropped me instantly since my license is probationary. Said I could reapply after working elsewhere for a year - have applied to everything in a 1 hour radius, but no luck so far...........

Email me @ hoiles@centurylink.net I don't need any more problems with the BON. You know what I mean!

thiamartin in West Lafayette, Indiana

18 months ago

Kay in South Haven, Michigan said: Perhaps you are right. I've wondered. However, I wanted nursing. I love nursing. And with the exception of being sick, I am a damn good nurse. I do belong in the profession. I never, ever had a drug or alcohol problem until 5 years ago at the age of 37. I had been a successful RN for several years. This alcoholism (drug of choice but did divert Dilaudid and Fentanyl about 10 times) really snuck up on me). I'm certain any "true" addict/alcoholic would understand that drugs and alcohol are, as AA says, "cunning, baffling, powerful...without help it is too much for us.." I am (and have been) clean for some time. I use AA (I am a believer), weekly, individual sessions, my family physician and an addictionist. I've been in treatment 4 times. I am certainly not bragging about that. It sucks and I never want to go back. Nevertheless, I have learned A LOT about the disease. I really didn't know how to take your comment. An earlier one made me feel like one of looking down their nose at me and kinda hurt. I'd like to hear from people who understand and are kind. I am NOT looking for sympathy. Regardless of being an alcoholic/addict I completely understand I am responsible for my actions!

Your story is the closest to mine that I have ever heard. I am an RN in recovery. I am an alcoholic and I diverted nubain. I lost my job June 26 2011. My life changed forever on that day, but I am so grateful that God said "ENOUGH!!" and that he loved me enough to put a stop to the insanity. As you said, I would not have stopped on my own, I would have ended up dead, right where my addiction wanted me. I lost my home, my car, everything that comes with that $78,000 a year income. I lost my professional status within the community, my self worth,and my will to live. Getting to AA saved my life.

KMcCarty in Weare, New Hampshire

17 months ago

Ladies after reading all of your stories, I find it comforting that I am not alone. This is the worst thing that has ever happened to me and I haven't had an easy life as it is. I was an ICU/CCU Charge RN who did the night shift for close to 5 years at the same hospital that "sold me out"....I was in a severely bad MVA in 2008 on a beautiful October day, just running errands. The large SUV reamed me very hard at an intersection, so hard I hit the car in front of me. I was not wearing a seat belt d/t just running errands around town. I turned just right to keep my puppy from going through the windshield. As a result after the adrenalin rush I immediately felt a burning horrific pain in my neck. Long story short my spinal cord was compromised and I needed Neurosurgery. Out of work 2 years, 7 months. Now donning a cadaver bone, one plate and 2 screws and with residual Whiplash Associative Disorder, I cannot do the physical work as I once did in an ICU/CCU.
I went back to the same hospital as a Case Manager.....there was a position in the ICU for one, but the director of Case Management never wanted me there....because she was asked to put me there by my other Director of the ICU/CCU. She since retired. Many strange things happened. I was just at my pain management appointment a week before. My provider increased my Neurontin dose. This made me "slur"my words. Someone complained about me and long story short, meds I was taking did not show in urine but something I would never do did. I was mortified and so confused. After 2 months I was terminated. Then after I had found work elsewhere, the exact same day an offer came to me, I found a letter from the BON with a complaint written by someone who wasn't even there that day. There were so many conflicted issues to this. Well I ended up keeping my license;however probation for 2 years. It's been 7 months of hell. I have had many neg. tests even before appearing before the BON. I feel black balled.

nurse ratchet in Columbus, Ohio

16 months ago

Me_me in Columbus, Ohio said: Please please get a lawyer before you sign that agreement. I don't have anything on my record like drugs or anything but I have 2 minor misdemeanors and I have a consent agreement I wish I would have got a lawyer before I signed it biggest mistake bc after I signed it I have not been able to get a job & so a called a lawyer he basically told me if I had called him before I signed the consent he could have helped me...ESP get a lawyer if you plan on practicing in Ohio we have the strictest rules on nurses

Me Me, you are so absolutely correct with advising to retain legal counsel. We are trained & educated as care givers, not as lawyers. The BONs have lawmakers, lawyers, and who knows what other kind of arsenal at their disposal to ensure that they are always right. Someone wrote above, that "Nursing boards are extremely pathetic in every state. They make you feel like garbage over the smallest of things", and that person was also absolutely correct.
I'm not sure how the concept of nurses never making a mistake or having problems came about, but we are human just like everyone else. No nurse & no one is perfect. If things were perfect I can assure you that all my meds, treatments, and documentation would be totally completed by the end of my shift, from which I could leave on time AND I would actually get a crappy 30 minute lunch that I'm docked for and 1 pee brake. The BON may think that it is perfect b/c it is an entity like a corporation, w/o empathy and that in my opinion is an aspect that enables them to become and remain pathetic. Any nurse that has an encounter like what we are discussing out here or has any allegations issued from a BON, please seriously consider retaining legal counsel. I know that it's scary, embarrassing, possibly humiliating and most certainly costly but a nurse needs someone on his or her side that can help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

hotlips in Temperance, Michigan

15 months ago

I strongly agree with the need for Board reform. They are a bunch of hypocrites, as are many nurses who actually believe that this couldn't happen to them. I also had a history of a car accident and back pain. In pain management and taking narcotics for pain but due to continuing cutbacks in nursing, loss of nursing aides, and corporate abuse mandating that we turn and assist 400 pound patients by ourselves, had a progressive increase in pain which led me to diversion. I knew I was in trouble and actually had just submitted my LOA forms to HR in order to get appropriate treatment but it was too late. I really feel for the nurses who were reported for poor documentation considering that taking care of your patients is the priority and thorough documentation is next to impossible. Its hard to not be bitter when the industry uses and abuses you, disciplines you if you take a "no lunch" or if you stay late to finish your charting, so that you can get paid for working when they know that taking a lunch or completing your documentation would be impossible. You work extra when they are desperate, wait years to take a summer vacation, and make less money than teachers. And they throw you under the bus when you have an illness. Then the Board of Nursing treats you like second class citizens who should beg for mercy at their every whim. And knowingly make it next to impossible to meet the criteria to ultimately regain your license in order to attempt to get a job in a thankless profession.

I love nursing but hate the industry. I hate the hypocrites who think they are God. There is no oversight of these Boards of Nursing. The fact that they have the power to suspend a nurses license because someone reports a problem and has no evidence (people with ulterior motives)is proof that there are no checks and balances. And they don't even have to provide you with your rights, such as the right to remain silent and the right to retain an attorney when they contact you.

Heather in Phoenixville, Pennsylvania

14 months ago

Anyone interested in developing a support network on Skype for those on probation?

redsox1 in Frisco City, Alabama

13 months ago

NurseLPN in Foley, Alabama said: I feel your pain! I have been monitored now by Alabama BON for over 6 years. You are at their mercy! You will have to do exactly what they tell you to do if you want to remain a nurse. I went to 14 weeks of inpatient treatment 5 weeks of aftercare, over one year of counsiling drug testing for over 6 years. On top of it all after 5 years of monitoring they told me to give up my license or quit my job due to not being monitored by a RN or physician. If you are willing to do whatever it takes to get your live back in order then it can be done. I had a hard time finding a job after quiting in order to keep my license but I am now employed. Do Gods will and it will work out. Good luck!

Hi there, can you tell me where you found a nursing job at? I am on probation with only quarterly reports restrictions. no narcotics restrictions and still cannot find employment, Any info would be appreciated.

lizerdman03@gmail.com in Sioux Falls, South Dakota

11 months ago

So...myself and my brother are major computer nerds..I could possibly develop a website but it will take some time. I feel there is a need for us to stick together and share our stories...so I will start a facebook group ok? I will come back with the details later...but this is obviously needed badly for us. I am an LPN in a recovery program as well. The problem is that I did relapse recently(fentanyl patches be damned) and I am currently in trouble with the BON in my state. So I need support as well and I have a lot of computer knowlegde...my friends make fun of me for going into nursing when I should be sitting at a desk fixing computers lol. Anyway I will come back with the details about the facebook group. Let me know if anyone here is still interested and should I do this(the website) cuz it takes some work

11 months ago

OK so the name of the group will be Nurses in Recovery Programs. I will need to add people to it...my FB account is Liz Erdman Larsen. Please message me about adding you to the group on facebook. I can also start the google+ but I was thinking FB is probably faster...and its a good way for me to generate interest and find out how many people are interested in this...ok good luck to everybody :) my email is lizerdman03@gmail.com.

11 months ago

OK I am sorry just one more thing. The FB group is completely closed to protect your privacy. So you will have to message me to get in. Only members can see the group and information/posts. I dont think its a good idea to make it 'open' because I realize this is sensitive information. So it is closed you dont have to worry about anyone seeing what you have posted or that you are a member

lpnintrouble in Texas

11 months ago

tawntawn in Ravenna, Ohio said: i would love to keep in touch. no one else understands how difficult it is for nurses who have any type of "drug offense". The healthcare industry is literally unforgiving.I have been through it all and will be happy to answer any questions or just give you moral support.

I am just starting proceedings for same thing. I am very nervous not knowing what to expect. Not sure if i should agree to contract terms or do voluntary surrender for a year. Wondering if it will bw worth it to do any of it if i wont be able to find a job...ssoooo confused..

redsox1 in Frisco City, Alabama

11 months ago

lpnintrouble in Texas said: I am just starting proceedings for same thing. I am very nervous not knowing what to expect. Not sure if i should agree to contract terms or do voluntary surrender for a year. Wondering if it will bw worth it to do any of it if i wont be able to find a job...ssoooo confused..

HI, just saw your comment. One word of advice is DO NOT SURRENDER your license. It will take forever and lots of $$$$ to get it back, so if the contract terms are not too severe, that's what I would recommend. If you can, consult a lawyer first, but DO NOT SURRENDER. I cannot say that enough. they make you jump through a million hoops and I wish someone had told me that first...just wanted to pass that along to you. Wish you luck.

Tawnie in Washington

10 months ago

I drank one night and the next day I was told I smelled of alcohol and tested positive. I'm working with the DOH in the diversion program. I am NOT an alcoholic, this was truly an isolated incident. My question is if I admit I'm not an alcoholic will they revoke/suspend my RN license? I wouldn't mind doing the monitoring if it saves my license but I'm looking for work and this will undoubtedly keep me from finding of job as the new employer would have to do monthly reports. I have never been in this situation and very scared. Help!

Love bug in Columbus, Ohio

9 months ago

Looking for a lpn job in cleveland ohio that hire nurses with restrictions

I'm a nurse with restrictions on my license because of a background I had before I entered nursing school. I finished school and went on to take the NCLEX, I passed but before I ca get my license I had to sign a consent agreement because I still had a background. Needless to say I signed and my license were active with restrictions (my restriction are I can't work with temp agency, home care and the employer send a report to OBN every three months) after I signed the consent agreement, I had my background expunged and that's the only reason I had to sign. So now I still have to tell employers that I have restrictions for something that doesn't even exist. Any help would be appreciated.... Thanks

Nurse in Huron, South Dakota

9 months ago

I want to let everyone here know that I have started a private Facebook group for nurses in recovery programs to talk and share experiences with each other. Anyone is welcome but it is very private so you will need to message me to join the group. My name is Liz Erdman Larsen on fb. No one will be able to see your comments or that you are in this group for privacy reasons

fab5 in Dodge City, Kansas

7 months ago

I am a RN who recently let her license go inactive after 4 yrs of non practice. I was the DON of a CAH in KS. I gave 15 years of service to my hometown hospital LTCU and OR and clinic. Truly I Over did it working 70 hrs a week helping others and filling in for what I believed was the greater good. After being diagnosed with AS I developed a prescription drug addiction all legal of course. I did take medical supplies that were discarded or thrown away for personal use such as sterile out of date supplies. Then i was victim of a physician hitting me and expected to cover for him harming a patient in the OR. I did what was right and turned him in only to find no support from the admin team a. Took matters to the federal level where they notified my hospital of the whistlevlowing . I did take 2 benadryl from the pharm for personal use and that was wrong. With in 30 days of my complaint I was atrested and fired publically. Nearly died in jail from siezures coming off my prescribed xanax and ambien. My cousin took me to treatment where I spent 30 days. On my return he was murdered that night in front of my home in a quiet town of 1800 county wide. I decided to take some time off. volunteered myself to a state program called KNAP which is a terrible joke that sucks you dry for money. Volunteered for a 3 mo. susp of my licensce and then my gma was critically ill and I took her home. I cared for her for 3 yrs after her alzhiemers progressed and dropped the KNAP. Now I am sitting here trying to find out where i belong. I am too young to be retired but too old and broken to return to 70 hr work weeks. I am a talented writer and love volunteer work but dont know where to go to start something like this. All I can say is that this profession preaches compassion and caring. Who then takes care of those of us that made a mistake, or those who are left broken after the missuse of nurses in the current healthcare profession? I am not perfect by far but I am damn good nurse. Ideas?!

Iamworknprogress in Lafayette, Louisiana

4 months ago

YoungRN in West Monroe, Louisiana said: I am a 26 y/o RN

I WAS WONDERING HOW ITS GOING IVE BEEN OUT SINCE 4/2012 after 12/2011 incident and can't find work multiple interviews I now work agency as a cna. Any help in Louisiana

Mick in Hillsboro, Missouri

4 months ago

changeme said: I need help. Is there a nurses support group anywhere??? If not, we should start one.

I live in St.Louis and I've searched for support groups and or any type of nursing advocacy, Can't find anything,,, my license was revoked, and unjustly, Nothing governs the board, we are put on blanket probationary terms, regardless of our charge, then it's seems to be set up for failure, you either can't find a job or as the writer below says you have to work at compromised places that can and will use you as a scapegoat for their indiscretions.. I am so lost,, I have lost my identity and livelihood, as a result. My probation with the board was a non nursing issue, that had nothing to do with drugs or alcohol or. Nursing ethics or professional liability, From there it just snowballed, Altho, I was told when I was revoked that I could reapply in a year ?? Good luck to all, and if if anybody has ideas on programs to assist , please share !!

4 months ago

castle rocker nurse in Castle Rock, Colorado said: Are you really in Castle Rock? I too am a R.N. in Castle Rock, CO I was fired from my ICU position in early October for using my patient's fentanyl waste. I found the contract offered me by peer assistance impossible to work and now will have to give up my license. After twenty years as an ICU nurse I guess I have burned out. I feel very alone and would like to communicate with someone that might understand what I'm going through.

I live in St. Louis, but am in same boat, license revoked, shouldn't have been, but once on probation you're compromised in the work force, I couldn't afford an attorney,,,, the board is governed by nobody, they do as they please, and we have no recourse,, I'd love to chat more with you about this, I just found this site, Sad as it may sound, it feels good to know I'm not alone :(

4 months ago

lizerdman03@gmail.com in Sioux Falls, South Dakota said: So...myself and my brother are major computer nerds..I could possibly develop a website but it will take some time. I feel there is a need for us to stick together and share our stories...so I will start a facebook group ok? I will come back with the details later...but this is obviously needed badly for us. I am an LPN in a recovery program as well. The problem is that I did relapse recently(fentanyl patches be damned) and I am currently in trouble with the BON in my state. So I need support as well and I have a lot of computer knowlegde...my friends make fun of me for going into nursing when I should be sitting at a desk fixing computers lol. Anyway I will come back with the details about the facebook group. Let me know if anyone here is still interested and should I do this(the website) cuz it takes some work

I hope you haven't lost interest, were you able to get a site up and going? I'm so interested

4 months ago

To fab5, I enjoyed reading your story, the honesty, vulnerability the pain ,touched a nerve with me. I believe it's truly pathetic what BON's do,,, I'm a fantastic nurse and truly never had nursing complaints, yet I have a revoked license, as of 12/13/13, I've been dealing with Missouri board of nursing since 07, bout something that happenned in 04,,, It's scary the kind of control they have over even our personal lives,,, I'm lost too,, not sure what to do, I've only ever been a nurse, I'm having a hard time changing up my resume, to where it will fit in other areas,, gonna lose my home, my electric bill is over $800, water over $400 ,, we only get 20 weeks unemployment, NO extensions,, and there is no energy assistance available!! I have never in my life been in this position, Single mom here, my youngest just moved out, Waaaaaaaa, :)). In any event I can't even find assistance trying to reinvent my career, resume, whatever it takes to get in the work field, hope things are better for ya

kelly2 in Chesterfield, Missouri

18 days ago

Mick in Hillsboro, Missouri said: I live in St.Louis and I've searched for support groups and or any type of nursing advocacy, Can't find anything,,, my license was revoked, and unjustly, Nothing governs the board, we are put on blanket probationary terms, regardless of our charge, then it's seems to be set up for failure, you either can't find a job or as the writer below says you have to work at compromised places that can and will use you as a scapegoat for their indiscretions.. I am so lost,, I have lost my identity and livelihood, as a result. My probation with the board was a non nursing issue, that had nothing to do with drugs or alcohol or. Nursing ethics or professional liability, From there it just snowballed, Altho, I was told when I was revoked that I could reapply in a year ?? Good luck to all, and if if anybody has ideas on programs to assist , please share !!

Mick, I also am on probation and was wondering if you know of any support groups in the St. Louis region? I read your post and hope your efforts of finding employment or a new career have deemed successful. Please let me know how you are doing, and if you have any suggestions for a nurse relatively new to this probationary hell.....

KAK in Ballwin, Missouri

5 days ago

I also live in St. Louis and my license is on probation. I have been on some interviews, and KNOWI would have obtained the position if it were not for my probationary status. I have been in the nursing field 20 years, and have excellent work reviews. It is sooo discouraging!!! My mind and thoughts are CONSTANTLY engulfed with finding employment, or deciding if I should surrender my license in order to have some type of normalcy and peace of mind in my life. I do have a business degree, and do not consider myself to be a YOUNG nurse. Is all of the BON requirements and expenses involved worth it??? I have researched and contacted the Board to see if there is any support groups, but there are none. Not sure what to do, but know God has a plan. I try to remain positive, but it is very hard sometimes. Any advise.....

Liz in Sioux Falls, South Dakota

4 days ago

I have a facebook group for nurses in recovery programs looking for support and/or other nurses to talk to. Message me: liz Erdman Larsen. I also am in a recovery program for South Dakota and it is challenging. Believe me I want to give up often but it does help to have others to talk to :)

sunny in Plaquemine, Louisiana

3 days ago

Frustrated in Auburndale, Florida said: My RN license was suspended as of 2006 for a period of 3 years for diversion of narcotics. At the time I had many many family issues as well as young children and decided to be a stay at home mom and get outpatient treatment. I did complete a 28 day and 90 day residential program as well. Now I am a single mom that desperately needs to start working again and have actively been working on my recovery now for almost 6 years. My RN license is now null and void, so I will have to sit for the Boards again, which I am completely prepared to do. Does anyone now of any resources that offer assistance of any kind for those of us wanting to get our license reinstated? I live in FL.

Are you sure that you will have to. Im in the same situation except in louisiana and I do not have to retake boards. Just participate in RNP

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.