LPN or RN

Comments (1 to 50 of 77)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Akasha in Saint Paul, Minnesota

85 months ago

I am comtemplated going to school to be a nurse. I am not sure if I should go for LPN or RN. I know that I will come out making more money as a RN. As a LPN I can get my foot in the door in less time and if I decide to go back for my RN it will only take me a year.

The long run it always what I am looking at. However, I am a single mother getting a LPN will take a year and a half. Plus, I will make a decent wage with the LPN.

I like to hear from some RN's and LPN's out there.

skyline07 in Boston, Massachusetts

85 months ago

Akasha in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: I am comtemplated going to school to be a nurse. I am not sure if I should go for LPN or RN. I know that I will come out making more money as a RN. As a LPN I can get my foot in the door in less time and if I decide to go back for my RN it will only take me a year.

The long run it always what I am looking at. However, I am a single mother getting a LPN will take a year and a half. Plus, I will make a decent wage with the LPN.

Hi Akasha,

I was an LPN who got my RN several years ago. I would say that if I were to do it over again, I would have just gone for my RN due to the limited job options for LPNs. There were plenty of jobs at the time, but mainly in nursing homes and rehabs. I also was not motivated to go back to school right away after the intensive LPN program (10 months). I was in a different position than you, as I did not have a family and was living at home. You have to do what is best for you. It may be a good idea to get the LPN first so you can get out there and start making money considering you have a family.I was a nursing assistant first and getting a job as an LPN was a seven dollar jump in pay! If you are planning on going for your RN after your LPN, make sure it is at a school with transferable credits to the RN program you would like to attend, as you may end up retaking classes and loosing valuable time if they don't. There are RN programs that are 2 years (Associates degree) which is also an option. I hope this helps. Best of luck!

skyline07 in Boston, Massachusetts

85 months ago

Akasha in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: I am comtemplated going to school to be a nurse. I am not sure if I should go for LPN or RN. I know that I will come out making more money as a RN. As a LPN I can get my foot in the door in less time and if I decide to go back for my RN it will only take me a year.

I would also like to add that allnurses.com is a great resourse for information and advice on the nursing profession. They have a section for each state, so you can get info on nursing in the state you are living in.

miranda in Panama City, Florida

85 months ago

I would like to recommend the LPN program first because you have children. It is a shorter program. You can work in a hospital and do everything a RN does and learn whole whole lot!!!! That will make RN school so much easier when you go back. You will not have to study near as much!! Here in Florida, anyone who completes the LPN program, only has to do the last 2 semesters on the RN program. Go that route!

Denise in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

84 months ago

OH PLEASE get your RN!!!!!!!
I am an LPN and every day I am sorry I did not go for my RN. Now, at age 50, even tho most will say it does not matter what my age is, there s no way I am going back to school now.
LPN'S do not get the same respect or pay as RN's no matter what anyone tells you! I have experienced this in every job, clinical and non clinical. its the same. I was recently working at an insurance company doing reviews/case management and was paid $20,000 less a year than the RN doing the same job. The respect from management is just not there either.
Good Luck!

Elizabeth in Ocean Springs, Mississippi

84 months ago

I have my LPN and plan to go back for my RN (first, and then my BSN). Where I work (a LTC facility), the RNs are very kind to the LPNs and treat me as an equal. I can't speak for the other LPNs though (for some reason, the RNs where I work treat me with greater respect than the other LPNs there... maybe because I went to school in a different state and their LPN program was WAY more involved...who knows.)

At any rate, I found LPN school to be a walk in the park. The NCLEX was not hard for me at all... just use logic.

I'd suggest doing your LPN first, just to get a steady salary going, not to mention help you decide if that's REALLY what you want to do... Nursing, I've found out, is 98% paperwork and 2% patient care. Its NOTHING like I thought it would be.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Feel free to email me if you want!

LISA in Ossining, New York

84 months ago

I am going to start school in september for my LPN. I have a essay to write an "why do i want to become an LPN?" Any tips?

nicholle in Pueblo, Colorado

84 months ago

miranda in Panama City, Florida said: I would like to recommend the LPN program first because you have children. It is a shorter program. You can work in a hospital and do everything a RN does and learn whole whole lot!!!! That will make RN school so much easier when you go back. You will not have to study near as much!! Here in Florida, anyone who completes the LPN program, only has to do the last 2 semesters on the RN program. Go that route!

Miranda
I plan to start my LPN in Orlando in August. How do I transfer to an RN when I finish LPN? Do you know where you can take the course?? I have looked into the online program Excelsior, and I have tried to get answers from them on two occasions and they never replied. I don't want to take an online corse from a school that won't bother to answer a few questions.I want to work as a LPN for a year to get some experience but I need to get RN eventually for the higher pay. Not getting any younger.Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Nicholle

Ann in Reynolds, Georgia

83 months ago

Are there any RNS or LPNs from GA on here? What are the differences between the two in our state?

Andie in Naples, Florida

83 months ago

Please get your RN!!! I am 25 years old and have been an LPN since I was 21. I love nursing and adore the elderly but it's all we can do sometimes!! We are drastically limited in what we can do as LPN's and since most hospitals are phasing us out we lose our hospital skills. We work hard and have a lot to bring to the table. The pay is ok in LTC's but it's the only area where we can make a decent living. The load can be heavy at times and it can be boring if you are a nurse who craves changes, learning experiences, and skills. Take my word for it go for your RN or shadow a nurse to see if it's what you want to do. Due to being under appreciated in some circumstances, underpaid for the work load, and stressed out if you're working in nursing homes...I am getting out of nursing. It's sad cause I am a damn good nurse but the bad times outweighs the good. Good luck with your decision in life. Just make sure that you are happy in all that you do from day to day. Take care!

Gido in Los Angeles, California

83 months ago

I need a mentor. someone who can give me good advice on becoming a great nurse.

Donna in Vallejo, California

83 months ago

Hi everyone I'm foreign RN and I have been notified by the BRN that I need to complete two more classes Psychiatric and Pbstetric nursing in order to be elegible to take an NCLEX exam. I'm aplying most community colleges they don't have space I don't know what to do Plz help me if you have any idea thank's

vicky in Bayport, New York

82 months ago

hi everyone. i am from Mongolia. i really wanna to be a nurse but i need help about which school is the best and cheapest one that i should take a lpn and rn in new york. and after i finish my school are there many work places ? plz share your expierence and great knowledge. thx for your attention

Lynn in Chattanooga, Tennessee

82 months ago

I fully and 100% suggest you go ahead and do the LPN program if you are able to now. I myself was a single mom with a 5 year old. I moved in with my parents and dove in to LPN school. It was one year, I received a grant and all expenses were covered. There is no telling where I would be today if I had not done that. It is a quick way (but not easy) to elevate your work options and your income. I always saw it as a stepping stone, just keep moving forward. Someday, you can get that RN degree, atleast you'll be half way there! My son just graduated high school and moves to his dorm in 3 days, I am now married and ready to tackle the next step of working toward my RN. I never, ever regret my decision to go to LPN school. I saw it as my responsibility to my child to give him a better life in the quickest way I knew.
Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!

sjaimone in Boca Raton, Florida

82 months ago

Lynn in Chattanooga, Tennessee said: I fully and 100% suggest you go ahead and do the LPN program if you are able to now. I myself was a single mom with a 5 year old. I moved in with my parents and dove in to LPN school. It was one year, I received a grant and all expenses were covered. There is no telling where I would be today if I had not done that. It is a quick way (but not easy) to elevate your work options and your income. I always saw it as a stepping stone, just keep moving forward. Someday, you can get that RN degree, atleast you'll be half way there! My son just graduated high school and moves to his dorm in 3 days, I am now married and ready to tackle the next step of working toward my RN. I never, ever regret my decision to go to LPN school. I saw it as my responsibility to my child to give him a better life in the quickest way I knew.
Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG....This is exactly what i needed to hear. I was struggling on whether i should do the LPN course or not. My son is now 5 years old and bills and the economy is out of control. I am definately gonna do the course to i can pave a better future for my son. Thanks for the inspiration!

82 months ago

sjaimone in Boca Raton, Florida said: OMG....This is exactly what i needed to hear. I was struggling on whether i should do the LPN course or not. My son is now 5 years old and bills and the economy is out of control. I am definately gonna do the course to i can pave a better future for my son. Thanks for the inspiration!

Thank you for the advice, you are atrue inspiration. Good luck.

82 months ago

Elizabeth in Ocean Springs, Mississippi said: I have my LPN and plan to go back for my RN (first, and then my BSN). Where I work (a LTC facility), the RNs are very kind to the LPNs and treat me as an equal. I can't speak for the other LPNs though (for some reason, the RNs where I work treat me with greater respect than the other LPNs there... maybe because I went to school in a different state and their LPN program was WAY more involved...who knows.)

At any rate, I found LPN school to be a walk in the park. The NCLEX was not hard for me at all... just use logic.

I'd suggest doing your LPN first, just to get a steady salary going, not to mention help you decide if that's REALLY what you want to do... Nursing, I've found out, is 98% paperwork and 2% patient care. Its NOTHING like I thought it would be.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Feel free to email me if you want!

Hey,thanks for the advice,can u give me some tips on how to prepare for Nclex since you found the exam to be A WALK IN THE PARK.
THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN.

82 months ago

I LIKE YOUR ADVICE, IT HAS INSPIRED ME TO CONTINUE. CAN YOU BRIEFLY TELL ME HOW YOU PREPARED FOR NCLEX AND HOW DID YOU FIND IT. WAS IT EASY OR CHALLENGING?
THANKS

Miranda from Florida in Mountain View, California

82 months ago

nicholle in Pueblo, Colorado said: Miranda
I plan to start my LPN in Orlando in August. How do I transfer to an RN when I finish LPN? Do you know where you can take the course?? I have looked into the online program Excelsior, and I have tried to get answers from them on two occasions and they never replied. I don't want to take an online corse from a school that won't bother to answer a few questions.I want to work as a LPN for a year to get some experience but I need to get RN eventually for the higher pay. Not getting any younger.Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Nicholle

I just seen your email to me. Sorry I took so long. You will just go to a collage when you are ready to become an RN, tell them you are ready to "transfer". I cant remember what it is called where you jump in the RN program for some reason. My mind went blank. Just talk to the nurseing teacher at your local college. She sould know. Good luck

Jo in Piscataway, New Jersey

82 months ago

Hi Everybody,

I took the LPN course through the local vocational school and got licensed in 1985. Although I kept my license, and even went through the recently required background check, I am not an active LPN. I do however want to leave my desk job and go into the nursing field so I've done extensive search on LPN refresher course and found there are none in my area. I was able to find several online refresher courses which all require a certain number of clinical hours - makes sense right! Well I called the local hospitals to see if they'd allow me to do the clinical portion and was told that LPNs are being phased out or are no longer hired in this area - no one would allow me to do the clinicals. I've been researching this for month's with no success. I'm constantly receiving mail from TCN and RUE, but have never bothered to contact them because I can't seem to find a place that offers refresher and it's been well over 15 years. I started taking classes at the local University and have 45 credits and it seems like it's going to take forever to finish (need ~125 credits total for BA/BS). On top of that, the RN program at the local University requires precalculus and at 47 I haven't taken math in such a long time I'd have to start at such a remedial level it will take that much longer to do an RN at the local college. Although I get tuition remission, only the actual per credit amount is covered and I still have to pay students fees which is not set (the more credits you take the higher the student fees). Unfortunately, the tuition remission can not be used anywhere else but this University. It just seems it will be faster to major in something else, but then I wouldn't be in nursing. I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place - wanting to go back to Nursing and not wanting to have to start from scratch and have it take 6-8 years to get a Bachelor's. So... having said all that, should I just be looking to start over again - from scratch?

Lynn in Chattanooga, Tennessee

82 months ago

You are welcome and good luck to you!

Two motto's I like that lead to educational success:

"What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?"

"Live as if you might die tomorrow, Learn as if you might live forever".

Unemployed in California in San Leandro, California

82 months ago

I would do the LPN if you don't have alot more time than that, and also the fact you have children support. The RN's make more money but it's much more schooling, it also depends on where you live. And also it depends on how nurses are paid in your state, in California the nurses do pretty well wage and benefit wise, but in other states the wages can be much lower. Good luck, and best wishes to you. You can do this. :O)

Pre-nursing student in Indianapolis, Indiana

81 months ago

I have found that if you are out of the loop for that long and are not usiing your LPN on the job; then you do have to start all over, because most colleges now say that all classes over 10 years old do not count and the nursing profession has change a lot over those years since you graduated. Maybe you can contact your state licensing board to find out if there is anyway you can get recertified/licensed without starting from scratch.

Jo in Piscataway, New Jersey

81 months ago

Pre-nursing student in Indianapolis, Indiana said: I have found that if you are out of the loop for that long and are not usiing your LPN on the job; then you do have to start all over, because most colleges now say that all classes over 10 years old do not count and the nursing profession has change a lot over those years since you graduated. Maybe you can contact your state licensing board to find out if there is anyway you can get recertified/licensed without starting from scratch.

I'm not sure if your response was to me - but since it seems that it was, I'm replying. I posted a while ago and it seems no one was responding. I figured it was because I've been out of it too long that no one knew which way to steer me - so... thank you, for your input - I appreciate it. My license is still active so the NJBOG suggested I contact someone to do a refresher. I found some places that offer refresher courses, online, with the clinical done at a local hospital. However, I called all the local hospitals (this includes outside my county) and none of them were willing to allow me to do the clinical portion. More than one of them told me LPNs were no longer being hired by them as they're being phased out. Without the clinical, you can't pass the course. I work at a University that has an excellent nursing program, but was told I can't complete the nursing program at night - I would have to go to school FT. As a single parent that currently must work for a living, this is not an option (BTW: I can't use the tuition remission anywhere else). I found a place in another county that offers a refresher course, but I found it too late to do this semester. In the meanwhile, I keep thinking it has been a long time and wonder if a refresher course is the right way to go. It's like being stuck between a rock and a hard place.

vonetta in Flushing, New York

80 months ago

Ive been an LPN for the past 7 months and I have aquired a lot of knowledge, Im presently working in aLTC facility and I must say Im tired and bored already. I used to work in the ER for 12 yrs as an ER registrar and thats what inspired me to go for nursing. I must say I do really enjoy nursing, the rewards that it has offered, that I feel I am ready for my RN. Yes, LTC is the best paid jobs for LPNs especially in the NYC area. Although it has its limitation, one is respected and appricated. We have more anotomy as a LPN where as in the hospital, sometimes you get caught up in doing some RN duties and still receive a pay much less than that of a LTC. Yes the experience is great in a hospital setting, but if you are not going for your RN it can become tedious. WEll right now Im doing my RN and Im heading for the hospital for the experience and to tell you I feel the cut in salary already and because its a flex time, hardly any overtime. However, I have one more semester. Think wisely before making a grave decison.

paula in Salamanca, New York

80 months ago

My advice to you, if you live in a metropolitan area go for it. im a single mother who just got my lpn licence and i have no sitter for the hours that are available in my country rural as it comes area. unfortunatley, nurses are madated to stay when the next person does not show for their shift. keep that in mind before investing in all that tuition. Im a licenced nurse who is supposed to be making great money for my kids to have a better life. And here i sit online trying to google nursing jobs with flex hours and no weekends etc.. in dismay how they advertise nursing shortages but there are no jobs even with crazy hours in my area with a 60 mile radius. Think of what is best for your kids and go by how old they are too and think of sitter options. i cant depend on family that lives 50 miles away and sitters wont stay up all inight with out charging more than your paycheck ... Oh and the salary , i was told how my wages would be well over 20 per hour... hehehe, no the local hospitals are hiring for 11.00 to 15 and hour... be wise and think twice what suits your needs.

Megan in Cocoa, Florida

75 months ago

just wondering if anyone has any recent suggestions on becoming an LPN? I am currently living in Florida and would like to move to Tennessee in March of '11. does anyone know if my license will be able to transfer? and if you don't mind me asking, how is the pay.. I am a pharmacy tech at the moment and I love my job and I make a decent hourly wage and I am full time with great benefits... is it worth giving up my job as a pharm tech to become and LPN??? I would appreciate any insite!

BuddhaNature

75 months ago

Megan in Cocoa, Florida said: just wondering if anyone has any recent suggestions on becoming an LPN? I am currently living in Florida and would like to move to Tennessee in March of '11. does anyone know if my license will be able to transfer? and if you don't mind me asking, how is the pay.. I am a pharmacy tech at the moment and I love my job and I make a decent hourly wage and I am full time with great benefits... is it worth giving up my job as a pharm tech to become and LPN??? I would appreciate any insite!

You might find the forum allnurses.com helpful. It has a wealth of info about nursing on it. In addition for your specific question to get a better answer,go to the allnurses.com webpage and click on to regions,USA. There you can click on to the discussion group for whatever state you have questions about.

Kat in Arlington, Texas

75 months ago

Megan in Cocoa, Florida said: just wondering if anyone has any recent suggestions on becoming an LPN? I am currently living in Florida and would like to move to Tennessee in March of '11. does anyone know if my license will be able to transfer? and if you don't mind me asking, how is the pay.. I am a pharmacy tech at the moment and I love my job and I make a decent hourly wage and I am full time with great benefits... is it worth giving up my job as a pharm tech to become and LPN??? I would appreciate any insite!

Well becoming an LPN is a pretty big jump from Pharm Tech as far as education and responsibilities. LPN work can be stressful and not always pleasant, but you certainly get to use your critical thinking, judgement, and skills on a daily basis. At places where I've worked such as hospitals and nursing homes, there is hardly a difference between LPN and RN staff nurses. In my area there seems to be a steady demand for LVNs (LVN is the title for LPNs in Texas and California), but I would check for the specific area that you plan on working in. Once you get licensed you should be able to move to any state in the country and transfer your license by endorsement which means the state you move to reviews your original license and education and you pay the fee to get a license in that new state. Some states even have compact licensure so you don't even have to go through that. I have 3 years experience and I make about $22/hr with great benefits. Again, check out the area where you want to work in because it varies. Where I live Pharm Techs make only about $11-13/hr, LVNs make about $17-24/hr.

mike jason in New York, New York

75 months ago

Hi this is mike,
My company has PT and Occupational Therapist and Rehabilitation nurses and Nurse supervisor and License vocational nurse (LVN) and Speech Pathologist job

openings in Dallas Fort worth,TX . If you are interested please email your resume to Mike.jason@espritamerica.com

ONLINE ASN? in Boca Raton, Florida

74 months ago

Does anyone know or attending the RN program at Kaplan, is it possible to do those classes online because, I'm not sure it's a doable task to take nursing online , please let me know if anyone is currently attending Kaplan University's Nursing program

Bryan Witherspoon in San Diego, California

73 months ago

Does anyone know or attending the RN program at Kaplan, is it possible to do those classes online because, I'm not sure it's a doable task to take nursing online , please let me know if anyone is currently attending Kaplan University's Nursing program

I know Kaplan has some online classes if you already have an RN license....

Does anybody know if Kaplan University Associate Degree in Nursing is respected by hospitals????

thank ya kindly

Diana in Los Angeles, California

73 months ago

I'm student at Kaplan yes it's 3 month course, 1 month lesson with teacher (twice a week) and 3 month online 24/7 if u have any question feel free!!!

B in Derwood, Maryland

73 months ago

Definitely go for your RN if you are able to. Your program may be set up to where you can get your LPN halfway through while going for your RN. Check into your job options as an LPN. In my area LPN positions are mostly located in Long Term Care. It is extremely difficult to get a position in the hospital setting with an LPN. There are few positions posted for LPNs in the hospital setting. In order to be considered you must have experience. I have recieved responses from hospital recruiters stating that I was not qualified for the position. I would make phone calls and ask around. Also, find out if you do only go for your LPN; what you need to do at a later time to obtain your RN. Many LPN programs do no transfer. Good Luck!

fdonna in Ooltewah, Tennessee

72 months ago

Miranda from Florida in Mountain View, California said: I just seen your email to me. Sorry I took so long. You will just go to a collage when you are ready to become an RN, tell them you are ready to "transfer". I cant remember what it is called where you jump in the RN program for some reason. My mind went blank. Just talk to the nurseing teacher at your local college. She sould know. Good luck

HI Miranda,
I took my LPN Course and graduated in 1978 from Florida Hospital School of
Practical Nursing. They are in Orlando, Florida and this nursing school also has RN schools. It was a great course and we worked hard. No sloughing off here but
that was a long time ago. This school is connected to a teaching hospital and they are known for their excellent patient care. You might want to check into Florida Hospital on Rollins Ave., in Orlando, Florida. Look up online.
Thanks, Donna

fdonna in Ooltewah, Tennessee

72 months ago

B in Derwood, Maryland said: Definitely go for your RN if you are able to. Your program may be set up to where you can get your LPN halfway through while going for your RN. Check into your job options as an LPN. In my area LPN positions are mostly located in Long Term Care. It is extremely difficult to get a position in the hospital setting with an LPN. There are few positions posted for LPNs in the hospital setting. In order to be considered you must have experience. I have recieved responses from hospital recruiters stating that I was not qualified for the position. I would make phone calls and ask around. Also, find out if you do only go for your LPN; what you need to do at a later time to obtain your RN. Many LPN programs do no transfer. Good Luck!

Some of these LPN programs take a little less than a year. Mine was for 10 months. Go look for them that take a shorter amount of time, unless you can afford the longer time frame and that is what you want. Make sure that the LPN course is a good one so credits will transfer to RN program. Good Luck!!!

Dolo40 in Ossining, New York

72 months ago

I am an LPN and also a single mom. I chose the LPn route because I needed a reliable job quicker. I am also back at school for RN. You are always told of the LPN to RN program, which is bull, unless you have all of the prerequisites such as Eng 101.102, Algebra, A&P 1,2, microbiology, nutrition, some psych courses depending on the school BEFORE you start your nursing processes courses. If you have all these, I would tell you LPN, because it will take you a year(full time) for the practical courses. These are not easy and you have children. I can tell you the stress level is high. If you can afford to go straight for RN, I would suggest that. Also, as an LPN, your areas of work are limited. Most courses as an LPN will not transfer to RN, because LPN is considered a technical diploma/degree and not a college one.

Faith in Orlando, Florida

70 months ago

Pre-nursing student in Indianapolis, Indiana said: I have found that if you are out of the loop for that long and are not usiing your LPN on the job; then you do have to start all over, because most colleges now say that all classes over 10 years old do not count and the nursing profession has change a lot over those years since you graduated. Maybe you can contact your state licensing board to find out if there is anyway you can get recertified/licensed without starting from scratch.

My sister lives in the state of Washington had to take a nine week refresher class to get her RN license back, after 20+ years. They were eager to have her as a nurse and I think they paid her to take the non stress classes.

cynsellers@yahoo.com in Clearwater, Florida

70 months ago

That is what I said 25 years ago. Now I wish I would have done it back then. I'm now 53 an I really don't want to go back, but Most places are looking for R.N. or Mech tech. We are kinda out in the cold. Get'er Done. LOL Cynthia

ROCAFELLA6651 in Los Angeles, California

70 months ago

GO TO R.N BECAUSE THEY ARE IN HIGH DEMAND. ONCE YOU COMPLETE THAT PROGRAM, YOU HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS YOU

Donnamusic in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

70 months ago

Thank you so much for your reply.
I would love to become an RN but I am now 56 years old and just finishing up taking a medical assisting course. Thank you so much.

jane bay in Northridge, California

67 months ago

Hi! I live in california and confused between LVN and RN. I been in waiting list for RN and got tired. I was thinking to finish LVN by that time and later do the RN. I am 43 and afraid to back to school because so many people told me that RN is very hard. I am average student and gpa is 3.4. Pls tell me that should I go for LVN or direct for RN. I will appreciate.

Donnamusic in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

67 months ago

HI,
I received my LPN/LVN in 1978 and I am now 56 yrs. old. I would suggest going for your LPN first so you can work as an LPN. It only takes one year, then if you desire to continue you may do so. I went for LPN due to did not know if nursing was something I really desired to do and one year of my life was better than 2 or more. My mother also was diagnosed with cancer just after I started LPN school.
I was able to finish but would have been next to impossible if had been an RN program.
How much do you want the RN? Yes, I am sure it is hard but you will never know unless you try. Maybe work as an LPN for awhile and then decide if you want to go back and get your RN? My problem was also finances. It was much cheaper to get the LPN compared to the RN.

Good luck and God Bless. You only get out what you put into anything.
Take care, Donna

jane bay in Northridge, California

67 months ago

Thanks so much!!!

meg in Broken Bow, Oklahoma

67 months ago

Im currently a stundent in high school and am starting to plan for my future there are many people telling me two differnt things. Which is better to go to school for my LPN first and then go for RN or just go straight for my RN? Im so confused.

Sandra in Old Bridge, New Jersey

64 months ago

Hi, I have a few questions i would like to ask.Do I have to take prerequisite classes before going to school for my LPN or within the year I'm going for my LPN those classes will be covered. Im lost.

Teagan in Charleston, West Virginia

63 months ago

I was faced with similar circumstances. I work in a hospital, I took less salary so that I could keep my skills and be active. Every hospital is different in what you are permitted to do as long as none of your activities exceed your scope of practice set forth by your state. Those who say the respect and pay is different, it is. I have been at my job 7 months and unless I have worked with the person before, I have to prove myself. Otherwise those who know me would put their own lives in my hands.

I am a single mother, I had no family to live with besides my small child. Therefore no one was going to make life any better for the both of us but me. I completed an intense 13 month LPN course and was the first person in my class to take my boards fearlessly. I knew that I needed something to get myself a stepping stone to a better place. Hard work and a little sacrifice is what is needed to get through it. Now, I am nearly through my RN program.

Time shouldn't be a window in which you feel you need to get this done. Do what you have to and in time as long as you make forward progress, you will be accomplished.

Good Luck

babyg kids in Elkton, Maryland

62 months ago

you should go for a lpn. they are more better for you

Downhome in Roberta, Georgia

62 months ago

Im an LPN student who has just graduated but not taken boards yet. I believe you should go for rn. It is longer but time will go by so fast in nursing school. If you chose LPN you will have days when you'd wish for all your trouble you would have gone to RN school! That being said my best advice would be that whatever you decide find the positive in it. There are pros and cons to both so don't drive yourself crazy once you have made your decision! Good luck!

phattiegirl25@yahoo.com in Brooklyn, New York

62 months ago

The above advise is correct, I'm a LPN myself and have been once for almost three years now, and its so hard to get into a program hear in nyc.... I graduated from La Guardia which was the first college to have an accredited based LPN program, which also has a advance to RN program.... but their requirement and stipulations is almost impossible....I have been waiting to get in since last year... The other colleges require I take additional classes to get into their program cause they don't accept all of LAGCC credits, so you re kind of screwed here.....wish I had known better and applied to the RN program, BY NOW I probably be doing my masters....

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.