LPN with little experience

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 131)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Leslie in Dublin, Virginia

71 months ago

I graduated from the Practical Nursing Program in 2005. I worked for 5 months at an assisted living facility in 2006. The administrator told me that she needed someone with more experience, so she let me go. Since then, I have put in many different applications and handed in just as many resumes to prospective job contacts. I still, have had no luck whatsoever. I have very little experience as an LPN, but am competant at what I do. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I have been to several interviews, but that is as far as it ever gets. Can someone please give me some advice? Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

RN in Modesto, California

71 months ago

Leslie,
Number one, I would have someone in the medical field look at your resume to see if it's well written and lists all of your qualifications.
Secondly, have someone mock interview you, maybe you are getting too nervous during your interviews or you don't look confident. I think you may want to apply for part time or per diem work just to get your feet wet. You need more experience, 5 months in the last 3 years is hurting your chances of finding full time work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Patricia in Pickering, Ontario

70 months ago

The above advise is very useful. Also, you should hand in your resume with a coverletter to all potential employers, whether they are advertised or not. These companies could be long-term care facilities, nursing homes, private and public clinics, hospitals, and nursing agencies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jewel in Rockwell, North Carolina

70 months ago

Leslie in Dublin, Virginia said: I graduated from the Practical Nursing Program in 2005. I worked for 5 months at an assisted living facility in 2006. The administrator told me that she needed someone with more experience, so she let me go. Since then, I have put in many different applications and handed in just as many resumes to prospective job contacts. I still, have had no luck whatsoever. I have very little experience as an LPN, but am competant at what I do. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I have been to several interviews, but that is as far as it ever gets. Can someone please give me some advice? Thank you.

I also graduated in 2005 but when i finished the LPN program, i had 20 years experience in LTC as a CNA. I am currently enrolled in the community college to upgrade to my RN. If you have this time on your hands, search out a pell grant at your community college and work on classes for your RN. I am currently working for Hospice (PRN) during the day and LTC (PRN) at night, while in school at night. This gives me more than enough hours of financial support. Check with your local LTC facilities and apply PRN to start with. If someone quits, you can move into their position, and the facility want have down time to train someone. GOOD LUCK!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nicole in Saint Paul, Minnesota

69 months ago

I graduated and got a job at a facility that I had my clinicals at. That might be something to try because then they know that you know how a little about how their system works. Better yet talk to your preceptor and have them write you a letter of recommendation. In interviews make comments about your interest in caring and empathy for people along with the "clinical" knowledge that you get from your clinicals. Because at the end of the day nursing is all about helping people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Elether in Bronx, New York

69 months ago

We all have to learn from our experiences and mistakes this is what makes you better at your job. You need to try and apply for a hospital or nursing home job that will educate you. Employers are very much aware of inexperience nurses who just received their license. This is the real world get tough skin if you can and always cya.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ana in Washington in Longview, Washington

69 months ago

I would like some advice from all LPN's. I have enrolled in school and will begin this winter quarter. My question is to all LPN's, is if at the end your day you go home and feel fulfilled with your career choice?
Also, I would like to know the pros and cons of being an LPN.

69 months ago

To Ana,

What an interesting question. I must say, that there are days that i come home from work and wonder "what the heck have i got myself into" and then other days when i was involved in something that improved someones life, i know why i am doing this. I am currently enrolled in school to complete my RN. I hope that this will increase my job choices. The pros: gives you time to figure out if this is really what you want to do Cons: You are doing the same work as an RN and not paid for it. Stay with it. The job market is so bad right now, and there is always nursing opportunities. Stay with it...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ana in Washington in Longview, Washington

69 months ago

To Jewel ,

Thank you for your advice, much appreciated.

69 months ago

Your quite welcome. Please keep in touch and let me know how things are going for you. I know here in NC, the job market for nurses is crazy. Everyone seems to be looking for staff. I work 2 jobs PRN around my classes and i could work 7 days a week if i wanted to. At
least being PRN, i can choose to work on a given day or not. I hope everything works out for you, If you need to talk to someone, let me know.

Jacquelyn in Alva, Florida

69 months ago

Jewel in Rockwell, North Carolina said: Your quite welcome. Please keep in touch and let me know how things are going for you. I know here in NC, the job market for nurses is crazy. Everyone seems to be looking for staff. I work 2 jobs PRN around my classes and i could work 7 days a week if i wanted to. At
least being PRN, i can choose to work on a given day or not. I hope everything works out for you, If you need to talk to someone, let me know.

Hi...I was thinking of going to school to be an LPN. In Florida they make $16-20 per hr.(up to 30) In NY they make up to $57,000 per year. This is what I've found out from my research. I know that you live in NC, but I was wondering if my research sounds about correct? What are the salaries in NC$ I am a CDA presently making $17 per hr, but I am looking for a more fulfilling career with better benefits and larger spectrum of responsiblilities. What are some of your most interesting experiences as an LPN? Do you find many jobs within your reach? Please email me back. Thanks!
Jacquelyn

69 months ago

Most jobs in LTC pay around 16.00-20.00/hr. If you can learn additional skills the pay increases. The average LPN salary in LTC is around 45000.00 w/o overtime. If you like to work, you can make up to 55-65,000. I am currently working in LTC at night and with Hospice during the day. I like them both but after i complete my RN courses, i really want to be a flight nurse in critical care. Good luck...theres alot to choose from

edlewisgreencar in Minneapolis, Minnesota

69 months ago

Jewel in Rockwell, North Carolina said: Most jobs in LTC pay around 16.00-20.00/hr. If you can learn additional skills the pay increases. The average LPN salary in LTC is around 45000.00 w/o overtime. If you like to work, you can make up to 55-65,000. I am currently working in LTC at night and with Hospice during the day. I like them both but after i complete my RN courses, i really want to be a flight nurse in critical care. Good luck...theres alot to choose from

There is a web site I stumbled across one night called flight med.com or somthing like that I will try to find it again but it had a forum of parmedics/emt and flight nurses some who went to Excelsior college to get their RN.

edlewisgreencar in Minneapolis, Minnesota

69 months ago

Jewel in Rockwell, North Carolina said: Most jobs in LTC pay around 16.00-20.00/hr. If you can learn additional skills the pay increases. The average LPN salary in LTC is around 45000.00 w/o overtime. If you like to work, you can make up to 55-65,000. I am currently working in LTC at night and with Hospice during the day. I like them both but after i complete my RN courses, i really want to be a flight nurse in critical care. Good luck...theres alot to choose from

I went back and searched the web site is flightweb.com and then search their messages good luck

carrie82 in Chicago Suburbs, Illinois

69 months ago

Just a quick reminder to those considering nursing school, DON'T get into nursing for the money!!! you will be disappointed, overworked, and, under appreciated. If you don't sincerely have a passion to help others, it will show in your work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

jacquelyn in North Fort Myers, Florida

69 months ago

I absolutely love people and helping them! I don't think that the salary of an lpn is that low? What is the average salary? Ofcourse you're not going to get rich, but it's still a decent living, right? For all of you experienced LPN's do you feel like you're totally overworked? Please let me know, I'm thinking about going to school for this. : )

69 months ago

If you're working night and day as an lpn, when are you finding time for the rn classes?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jewel in Salisbury, North Carolina

69 months ago

I work several days per week at one job and mostly weekends on the other. I go to classses at night, which allows me to work full time. Most of the Nursing classes are on line. If i had to sit in class full time again, i would think twice about going back.

69 months ago

Jewel,
I really appreciate all of the feedback that you have given to me in this forum. That's exactly how I figured that it would be manageable to go from lpn to rn. I guess you're living proof!

stephanie in Lawrenceville, Georgia

69 months ago

I want to know if there is an 1 year lpn program in georgia? I have been looking to no avail.

Dalila in Portland, Oregon

69 months ago

Jewel,

I wanted to know if you find these on line classes easy? Who do you go to when you need help? And also, do you think it's a good idea to start working as a cna and go for your lpn. I'm not working but I was thinking of becoming a cna as I start my classes as lpn. Or should I just focus on going to school. Just wanted some input.

69 months ago

Hey,

Most schools will require that you have your CNA before starting Nursing classes. I think its a great idea, because you may find out after you work as a CNA that this is not your calling. Believe me, its better to find out prior to Nsg school that this is something you don't want to do, before you spend all the money for pre-reqs and books, and quit half way threw. When this happens, your cheating someone else out of a "spot" that was their "heart desire" Good luck

Jewel

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

I have no idea about Georgia, but NC has a one year program. Problem is, it takes you "forever" to finish the pre-reqs.

Dalila in Portland, Oregon

69 months ago

Jewel,

Thanks for your advice, is a cna much like an lpn? I know there's some similiraties and there's obviously more responsibilites for an lpn. What are some of the differeneces?

69 months ago

Thanks, its alot of work, but jobs are getting harder to find and worse to keep with alot of places going out of business or merging. I am 46 years old and I know that if i hve the energy to do all this, you can too...Good luck maybe we will work together one day

69 months ago

Dalila in Portland, Oregon said: Jewel,

Thanks for your advice, is a cna much like an lpn? I know there's some similiraties and there's obviously more responsibilites for an lpn. What are some of the differeneces?

NO..not in NC anyway. The board of Nursing considers them as " doing jobs that only require"going through the motions" they are not allowed to make jud. calls on care. Its really funny here.

Brian H in Saint Peters, Missouri

69 months ago

Hello everyone. I stumbled across this forum by accident, and Im glad i did. It is always wise to hear from more experienced individuals in the field you are going into. I am set to graduate fom an lpn school in Missouri, and plan to move back to Michigan when I do. Does anyone have any info on a lpn-rn or maybe lpn-bsn college (university) in the state of Mi. I took the educational buyout package from one of the big 3 auto's, and am very glad I did. I dont have a second of regret. Also, does anyone have any advise of which schools to avoid. I am really interested in some of thes online course offered. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

amber in Portland, Oregon

69 months ago

Does anyone know why there aren't a lot of lpn's positions in the hospitals? Also I was wondering why lpn's get better pay at a nursing home as opposed to a hospital. If anyone knows, I would appreciate being let known. Thanks.

69 months ago

Most of the reason is due to hospital policy. Most LPNs are not allowed to do certian IVP drugs, ect in the hospital, due to their rules and regulation. It is easier for the hospital to hire RNs and this cuts out the excuse for them "not being qualified" to do certian txs and medications, and it also allows the hospital to move RNs to areas needed in the hospital. I currently work for our local hospital, even thought i am an LPN. I work in Hospice, but am also limited to what i can do. I also work in LTC. I am allowed to do almost anything here, because it is in our policy. I also make approx. 7.00 more an hour at the LTC facility. The hospital policies limiting what an LPN can do, is the reason the pay is much less, but for me, it is an open door when i finish my RN classes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

amber in Portland, Oregon

69 months ago

Jewel,

Thanks for your feedback, good luck and best wishes with your career.

stephanie in Lawrenceville, Georgia

69 months ago

Thanks Jewel, you are a jewel also do you know the name of a few of the schools in NC that offer lpn for 1 year.

69 months ago

Thanks...Rowan Cabarrus Community College in Salisbury offers a one year program. Davidson County Community College in Lexington ( about 30 miles north of Salisbury) also offer a one year program. Both colleges are very good and the instructors are great. They both have web sites: just put in their name. If you decided to come to school here, there are many places that you could rent for the time being.
If you decide to make this move...let me know. I would be glad to meet up with you and show you around.

noemi in Portland, Oregon

69 months ago

I was wondering if there is someone on this forum that would happen to know how long I would take to get my lpn if I go to school only half-time. I'm a mother of four and they are all still very young so I would hate to not have any time with my family. Also is half-time taking one 5 credit class per quarter?

Nurse Michele in Salisbury, Maryland

69 months ago

noemi in Portland, Oregon said: I was wondering if there is someone on this forum that would happen to know how long I would take to get my lpn if I go to school only half-time. I'm a mother of four and they are all still very young so I would hate to not have any time with my family. Also is half-time taking one 5 credit class per quarter?

Noemi, most LPN programs are set up on a full time program. If you plan on attending a community college you could start taking your pre-req classes but once you are into the "nursing program" it runs at a pretty much full time rate. Some offer evening classes that do run at a slower pace but not quite part time. I am sure there are programs that I am unaware of that might offer part time but not any I have seen. I was in the same position but when I started my pre requisit classes part time it seemed like every semester I found room for more and more classes to teh point that by the time i was into teh nursing program I was ready for a ful time load. I wish you the best of luck. Nurse Michele

69 months ago

I commend you for taking on such a challenge with small children, but it can be done. You need to start as soon as possible and get the pre-reqs out of the way. You can take 1-2 classes per semester. It may take a little longer to complete, but think of it this was...If it takes you 5 years to complete your pre-reqs and the Nursing Program, in 5 years you will be a nurse. If you do nothing, the five years will still pass, and you'll be exactly where you are today. SO...get with it, so you can share your experiences with the rest of us...just a word of advice. If i were you, i would take the higher pre-reqs required for the RN program, that way, after you graduate, you can continue into the RN program (cause i know that you will not stop at an LPN) This will cut back on the amount of classes you will have to take to get your RN. That is what i did, and boy an i glad i only had to take one additional class to qualify for the RN program. Good Luck,,keep in touch with us

69 months ago

Nurse Michele,

Thanks, I really wasn't aware of this. I appreciate your response

69 months ago

Jewel,

Thanks for your advice, I will definitely take those higher pre-reqs, your a life saver. That was exactly what I told my husband, that five years are gonna come and go and if I do nothing I would be waisting that time. This way our family can have a better future.Thanks

69 months ago

I wish you the best of luck. Having children will give you advantage when i comes to your labor/delivery clinicals and classes. See, your already ahead of the bunch. Being a nurse is great, and it makes me feel good when my son (age 22) and my husband tell me they are proud of me for sticking it out. I know that you can do it...Keep in touch

69 months ago

Jewel,

Thanks, will do.

Brian H in Saint Peters, Missouri

69 months ago

I would like to make a comment to Noemi, it is going to be ALOT of work going to nursing school, AND raising a family. No less than raising 4 children as well. All I can say is HOLY SH@T, lol. But... you are absolutetly doing the right thing. In today's world, if you do not have a marketable skill wether it be nursing, medical, lawyer, etc... you are not going to make it. It is just that simple. That is why I got out of the car manufacturing buisness and went back to school. I wish you and everyone else luck, and stick with it. Its going to be tough but well worth it in the end.

69 months ago

Brian,

Your comment made me giggle, thanks. It is true about being skilled and what not. I just know that in the future the sacrifices that we will have gone through will have paid off. Thanks again.

Nurse Michele in Salisbury, Maryland

69 months ago

noemi in Portland, Oregon said: Nurse Michele,

Thanks, I really wasn't aware of this. I appreciate your response

You are very welcome. I did it with 3 young boys that are now teenagers. They love telling people that their mom is a nurse and they always tell me how proud of me they are for doing something so tough yet still being able to raise them. Finishing nursing school is such a rewarding feeling all of it's own. I wish you the best of luck. Just remember taht you can do anything that you put your mind to.

ASSUNTA FISHER in Saint Petersburg, Florida

69 months ago

noemi in Portland, Oregon said: I was wondering if there is someone on this forum that would happen to know how long I would take to get my lpn if I go to school only half-time. I'm a mother of four and they are all still very young so I would hate to not have any time with my family. Also is half-time taking one 5 credit class per quarter?
Hi I think it is much better to go to school while the children are young. think about it. they will require much more help as they grow older in school,help with homework, they will have different interests, cheerleading, soccer etc.so you will be running around for their events and pratices and so on. there homework gets more diffucult, they will have social issues u know the things we as people as well as our children go thru. so even though you have four children and a husband look at all of your pluses.You have a Husband and the kids really need you more as they get older, not saying they don't need you now. a night course here in fl is 18mnths and day course 12mths.If they can go to day care or if they are in elementary it would be great to get ur education completed while the demand on mommie hasn't increased to a much higher level.
so keep smiling and i hope you reach your goals.
God Bless you and your family

69 months ago

Assunta,

Thanks so much for your input, much appreciated. Thank you all for your support.

69 months ago

forgot to tell you i did it as a single parent at the time with two children and my grandfather died the day i had to take the test,(lpn boards) he said don't cancel so i didn't and passed my kids are now 17,18 the latter in college and the newest is 7. they were 3 and 2 when i started college then about 5 and 6 when i went into the nursing school.it was eaiser then when they got older 8 and up. we really wish you and your family well.

jacquelyn in Fort Myers, Florida

69 months ago

I really have so much respect for all of the women who manage to be successful with so many family demands, school etc. I am a single 28 year old woman who works full time as a dental assistant, and is taking 2 classes towards pre-reqs for dental hygiene. Sometimes I feel like it is so hard, that I have to give up. When I read what you guys have accomplished, it really inspires me and tells me that I'm just whining, and that I need to give myself a good swift kick in the a**. Thank you for being such strong women that I can really look up to. I have thought about possibly changing into an LPN program, bc there are no pre-reqs, and my city has a nite program, so that I could also work. Just wanted to say though, thanks for the perspective that you all have given me!

69 months ago

LOL, WOW YOU HAVE NO LIMITS ON WHAT YOU CAN DO, YOU COULD GO AS HIGH AS THE SKY, BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE LITTLE ONES TO LOOK UP TO YOU YET. HATS OFF AND GO FOR THE SKY. I WISH YOU MUCH SUCESS, NEVER QUIT. ITS O.K. TO GIVE OUT BUT DON'T QUIT.

69 months ago

Assunta,

My hat goes off to you. It's people like you that inspire me and make me feel stronger and know that I can accomplish. Thanks.

June in Cambridge, Ohio

68 months ago

I have enjoyed all of your conversations concerning nursing. I have a current LPN license and work for a home infusion company. When I first graduated from nursing school 14 years ago, I worked in LTC for a couple of years and I loved it. I am considering getting back into bedside nursing possibly with LTC again (maybe part time at first), but I am rusty on my nursing skills. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on LPN refresher courses. If any exist on-line that would be great, but I would really like some personal experience (clinicals or something).

Jacquelyn in Fort Myers, Florida

68 months ago

What does LTC mean?

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.