LPN same as LVN? Vocational Certificate vs. Associates Degree?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (16)

Amanda in Palm Bay, Florida

61 months ago

Hi everyone,
I am currently very seriously considering (applying) to enroll in a local community college's Post-Secondary Vocational program for Practical Nursing... but, seeing as it is a Vocational program, I would thus be an LVN and not an LPN... right? Is there a difference? I've been reading forums/occupational outlook handbook/indeed/everything allll niiiight and just can't seem to come across what I'm looking for.

Also, it is not an associate of science degree that they offer. It's a 12 month course, after which you sit for the exams and become licensed. Is this adequate in the job hunting field?

I live in East-Central Florida and the job market APPEARS to be open. I can relocate to PA/NJ/MD/DE if necessary after saving some money after graduating and finding a job. I'm just concerned about the LPN vs LVN and Certificate vs. Degree.

Sorry is this does not make any sense... I am rather sleep deprived at the moment! ;)

I suppose I should be more concerned with getting INTO the program, rather than the job afterwards and such. I haven't any background work experience, but depending on when I would be able to start I'm sure I could attain some volunteer work.... anywho, any advice or information would be much appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kat in Sun City West, Arizona

61 months ago

LVN (Licensed Vocational Nurse) is the title given in Texas and California. Every other state has the title of LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse). It is the same thing, just depends on what state you are in. The vast majority of LPN/LVNs hold certificates not degrees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

mad4spin in San Diego, California

60 months ago

Kat in Sun City West, Arizona said: LVN (Licensed Vocational Nurse) is the title given in Texas and California. Every other state has the title of LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse). It is the same thing, just depends on what state you are in. The vast majority of LPN/LVNs hold certificates not degrees.

It is a license not a certificate, hence; Licensed Vocational or Licensed Practical

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kat in Arlington, Texas

60 months ago

Yes I know I have a license as an LVN... I was talking about the education. I have a vocational certificate (or you could call it a diploma) from the school I attended, not a degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ks in Paterson, New Jersey

56 months ago

Yes, LPN and LVN is the same exact type of nurse. It's the states that give them different names. At the end of each program you will receive a certificate, but once you pass the state board you will have an actual license to work as nurse.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Heather in Tacoma, Washington

54 months ago

I too am interested in applying to the LPN program here in my area. I start my prereq's tomorrow. I just wanted to throw this out there for you. I have joined Red Cross so that I may "shadow" the nurses to get volunteer hours and experience. Not sure if its something you have thought about but it does help in experience from what ive been told and you will have all your vaccines and tests out of the way as well. Something to look into. Hope your doing well and cant wait to see where you are in another few months!!! Also, my husband is in the army and I am volunteering at the hospital here on post I believe its different then in the civilian sector on what you may be able to volunteer. However we have civilians here who have no affiliation and they are able to get on post to volunteer at the hospital. You do log your hours with Red Cross, however im not certain if any of them can go toward say clinical hours. But it is a start and adds a bit more to your resume when it comes time to enter the BRIDGE program or BSN.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mae2go in Haskell, New Jersey

50 months ago

Hi I am new lpn having problem getting. A job so I was thinking a volunteer job as lpn just to gain experience do you know any place that will do that

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Heather in Tacoma, Washington

50 months ago

Like every one else said LVN is same exact as LPN depending on state, I thought FL was one of them but oh well doesn't matter, lol When you complete your LVN, you will recieve a certificate basically says you took te program. Then you will get your license by passing the state board exam. When you finish that, you may find a bridge program at a hospital or school for LVN-RN. Or you can take another program to get you ADN , RN, then RN to BSN. There is ample room to grow. I think doing the LVN program is a great way to go. 12 month to get it then you can go to another program and sometimes the vocational schools will offer them. Example after you have you LPN and 500 hours as an LPN you may get into the LPN-RN program which an associates degree and it's 37 credits for the whole program. You may continue to whichever you choose but yes you will able towirk in the workforce with that. Just check their accredidation to make sure your state and many states accept it. As far as Red Cross, it's a great way to go and you will have all your vaccines you'll need and it's great on your resume whennit comes to find a
job. Plus if you build a good repor with the hospital as a volunteer you never know, but there may be a possibilty of them hiring you after. FYI, red cross hours are never applied toward clinical hours and are not able to be used as internships. I too am signed up with Red Cross on the army posts hospital because I live on post and I wanted to help with soldiers since my husband is one. But you do not have to be military affiliated to work or volunteer there. It run soley by red cross so you must contact them directly.

Heather

50 months ago

Sorry I forgot to add that the 500 hours plus 37 credits is a program here in WA :) different everywhere I assume

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mae2go in Haskell, New Jersey

50 months ago

Thanks anyone have. .... any idea about reciprocity. ... nj to NY

Caring Hands in Steubenville, Ohio

50 months ago

I am an LPN. I have been out of the nursing workforce for a long time. Is there anyone whom could suggest volunteer work that I could do, based on my experience and education?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mm in Seattle, Washington

46 months ago

me too,i am a new LPN and tired of looking a job.now i'm considering volenteering. does any one knows where to work?

anneb15@comcast.net in Steubenville, Ohio

46 months ago

I have often thought about places where I could volunteer. It would not necessarily have to be volunteer nursing. That would be the ideal volunteer job, however I feel that be able to do some kind of volunteer work related to healthcare would be of purpose. I would like to give back to my community, and also make a difference in the lives of others. After all, aren't caring and helping at the core of whaT NURSING IS ABOUT?

46 months ago

I have often thought about places where I could volunteer. It would not necessarily have to be volunteer nursing. That would be the ideal volunteer job, however I feel that be able to do some kind of volunteer work related to healthcare would be of purpose. I would like to give back to my community, and also make a difference in the lives of others. After all, aren't caring and helping at the core of whaT NURSING IS ABOUT?

46 months ago

I entered a comment about volunteer nursing.

46 months ago

I already typed in a comment.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.