New LPN in indianapolis indiana wanting to know where to look for work and good place to go for Rn

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

missnewlpn in Indianapolis, Indiana

54 months ago

I just passed my boards on friday, and I was wondering if anyone could help me decide where to go for my RN. I have heard so much about Ivy tech being a bad place and then heard about a few online places, im having a hard time deciding. Then Im not exactely sure where the best places are for a LPN like me who has never held a medical job before getting my nursing license any advice would help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Shannon Miller in Indianapolis, Indiana

50 months ago

missnewlpn in Indianapolis, Indiana said: I just passed my boards on friday, and I was wondering if anyone could help me decide where to go for my RN. I have heard so much about Ivy tech being a bad place and then heard about a few online places, im having a hard time deciding. Then Im not exactly sure where the best places are for a LPN like me who has never held a medical job before getting my nursing license any advice would help

I wouldnt say that Ivy tech is a bad place. I found the majority of teachers are great but theres always exceptions. I am an LPN and "tried" to get my RN thru them. I completed all classes and did well. But I could not get into clinicals. This was part due to their not having enough clinical spots for number of students coming thru and part due to being incorrectly advised. I was told I had to take all classes over because I had been out of school for awhile.I also was advised it is best to apply/test for clinicals after you complete all prerecs. Both was incorrect info, but I listened and regret. Anyway, after 4 years of wait, I gave up and entered a new program that I was told was one of the fastest growing careers. Wrong again. I graduated in May 2009 and have put out hundreds of apps. Still dont have a job. I've started applying for LPN again and FINALLY am getting some calls for jobs. Sad that I wasted all that time and am back where I started.I could have got a BS or more in the time I wasted. Plus its even hard now to land an LPN job due to the economy.(I quit a good job in my last semester due to timing of classes- ouch!) But to make a long story short, make sure you are advised correctly...check up on info,then Ivy tech would be fine. If you try to take clinicals at an Ivy tech outside indpls you're more likely to get in, which is what I'm considering now. But gotta work first cause i'm broke so gotta see if new job schedule will allow that. Good luck!

Shannon Miller in Indianapolis, Indiana

50 months ago

One more comment. As far as other schools...IU is great but only does BS now but I hear competition is high. U of I is great...I've worked with excellent nurses from there. But I cant afford them. Check onlines carefully...many dont accept previous credit and are very high priced. Some are not even accredited. But some are good yet I've talked to grads who still can't get jobs. They found that some local hospitals wont hire them because the hospitals "contract" with IU or Ivy Tech and take their grads, even if they all pass the same state exam.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.