RN board challenge

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 92 of 92)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

brambleton in Ashburn, Virginia

43 months ago

lb in La Junta, Colorado said: What a very sad comment to say. I have been a LPN for 32 years and probably could run circles around some of the RN's. Most RN's will say that the LPN's are the most valuable asset to them. Shame on you for saying that.

Is this an RN bashing thread? Why?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

BJ in Lakeland, Florida

43 months ago

ICU at Georgetown in Sterling, Virginia said: Why? So she can sound ignorant? LPNs have a serious case of ENVY and want to become the RNs that they bash here? There is a reason why there is a difference in title and pay. LPNs don't know, what they don't know. Hospitals and the state board know better and that is why the scope of practice for LPNs is limited and requires that LPNs be directly supervised by a registered nurse. If you want to be a Real Nurse, go back to school.

IGNORANCE? ENVY? HERE IS THE REAL VOICE OF EXPERIENCE U-ALL.. WHERE DID U GO TO SCHOOL AND LEARN TO WRITE. R U STUPID? I AM AN LPN AND I AM A SUPREVISOR OVER RNS. U NO Y? BECAUSE THE 'NEW' RNS THE ARE BEING PRODUCED HAVE THEIR HEADS IN THE DARK PLACE... PERHAPS U NEED TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL AND LEARN TO WRITE...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ICU at Georgetown in Washington, District of Columbia

43 months ago

BJ in Lakeland, Florida said: IGNORANCE? ENVY? HERE IS THE REAL VOICE OF EXPERIENCE U-ALL.. WHERE DID U GO TO SCHOOL AND LEARN TO WRITE. R U STUPID? I AM AN LPN AND I AM A SUPREVISOR OVER RNS. U NO Y? BECAUSE THE 'NEW' RNS THE ARE BEING PRODUCED HAVE THEIR HEADS IN THE DARK PLACE... PERHAPS U NEED TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL AND LEARN TO WRITE...

SUPREVISOR?

I rest my case.

Ignorance, all in CAPS. Thank-you for demonstrating.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jenny H. in Chesterfield, Virginia

43 months ago

ICU at Georgetown in Sterling, Virginia said: Bitter, party of one...jealous much?

I'm glad that my hospital has gotten rid of all LPNs. We have an all RN staff, and mostly BSNs. Challenge that.

Seriously? You have no respect whatsoever for your fellow Nurses. Kudos to you for having your BSN and working in the ICU but it sounds like you are lacking in the most important qualities that all Nurses should possess......kindness, compassion, and a caring heart. It's a real shame that people with horrible attitudes like you are taking care of our critically ill loved ones!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

scoupper1958 in Saint Albans, West Virginia

43 months ago

Amen to the 1'S that really get into nursing because of compassion and not the money. Remember somebody will be taking care of you at some point in you life. Lets hope it's not some body with long red painted finger nails and hair that fall into your wound as they are changing your dressing! I have seen this happen and kept my mouth shut, and God forbid those dangly ear rings that a nice sweet alzimers patient decides that she wants. you go RN'S .. your the 1's that I've seen this from. Going back to school, noway! After 27 yrs as an LPN , I've seen and done most of it, do I need Rn behind my name , oh heck no, I'm still the 1 that the Rn's come to for answers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

CAROLINE in Cocoa, Florida

43 months ago

NO, THIS IS NOT AN RN BASHING, EXCEPT FOR THE FACT SOME IDIOT RN IN VA SAID SHE WAS GLAD THEY GOT RID OF ALL THE LPN'S AT HER HOSPITAL SO I GUESS IF ALL THE LPN'S GO ON STRIKE THE RN'S CAN HANDLE IT! YEA, THERE IS SO MUCH TALK AGAINST THE LPN'S WE NEED TO SIT FOR A WHILE JUST TO SEE RESULTS! THE ONLY THING LEFT FOR THE LPN TO DO BESIDES GIVE BLOOD AND PIC LINES, THEY DO THE SAME AS THE RN. I FEEL LIKE IF YOU HAVE 10 YEARS AND ABOVE UNDER YOUR BELT, TAKE THE TWO COURSES, AND THERE YOU HAVE IT, A RN!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Christina in Oak Creek, Wisconsin

43 months ago

I just want to say I too have served my country for 13yrs, obtained my LPN in the Army where your clinicals are much more involved than any civillian RN clinical. I was trained in every aspect of the Military Hospital from Med surg to OR to include all of the clinics. I have been an LPN for 15yrs, currently work in subacute rehab doing everything except vents and hanging blood, we do PD, manage our own Picc lines, and IV's.Everyday I find myself protecting my patients from an unexpierienced RN. I am not bashing because I have worked with some good RN's, but they respected me, my expierence and my service to my country. Lets face it we all learn everyday if we don't then what the hell are we doing? I do agree LPN's with the expierience to back it up should be able to challenge the RN Nclex but should also have to pass an RN weekend Clinical. I also worked for VA on a Cardiac/
Thoracic transplant unit and did everything myself except manage critical drips (although I was the one monitoring them)and Of course except for hanging blood, but again we monitor the patient while its infusing and are the second check for ID. RN's its not thaat we don't respect you and the time and energy you have put into your schooling, we are asking you to respect us and what we bring to the table. We do train alot of RN's on the job, that has to count for something.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

katy in Little Rock, Arkansas

43 months ago

Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

WELL, I'VE HAD A NEW VIEW OF RN'S IN THE PAST WEEK, YES, THIS TIME IS MINE! MY SON IS SUFFERING FROM THE AFTERMATH OF CA TX., HE HAS LOCK JAW ECT., THIS PAST WEEK HE WAS IN BAPTIST HOSPITAL IN NC, BURNING UP WITH FEVER, THEY HAD ALREADY FOUND HIS LUNGS FULL OF BLOOD CLOTS, PLUS INFECTION THAT THE CULTURES HAVEN'T RETURNED YET! THEY ARE A RN HOSPITAL AND UP TO PAST 1AM I HAD FROM HIS RN NURSE TO THE HOSPITAL SUPERVISOR(NURSE) ON THE PHONE TRYING TO GET HIM HELP, THE NURSE WAS SMART WITH ME WHEN I ASKED HER TO PLEASE!, GO AND CHECK HIM, HE HAD CALLED ME TO SAY HE HAD PUSHED HIS BUTTON SEVERAL TIMES WITHOUT RESULTS, SO I HAD TO GET ON THE PHONE TO GET SOMEONE TO HIS ROOM, AND FINALLY AFTER TALKING WITH THE SUPERVISOR A CNA CAME IN AND HE HAD 102 TEMP, SHIVERING, ECT., SO AS FAR AS THE NC BOARD OF NURSING GIVING THESE RN'S JOBS, THEY BETTER LOOK AHEAD, I AM PLANNING ON HIRING A ATTORNEY RELATED TO THE HELL THAT THESE RN'S HAVE COST ME AN NOW MY SON AT HOME WITH A LIFE/DEATH SITUATION, NOT ONLY DID I HAVE A ALL NIGHTER, MY SON SAID MOM I CAN'T STAY ANOTHER NIGHT TO JUST GET ABUSED, SO HE CAME HOME, AND WITH ALL THE PRAYER THIS MOTHER CAN PRAY, I DO IT NIGHT AND DAY, THESE RN'S NEED TO GO INTO ANOTHER PROFESSION, ESPICALLY THIS ONE AND HER CO-WORKERS THAT I AND HE GOT THE SAME RESPONSE, LET THESE RN'S EXPERIENCE WHAT I HAVE AND BELIEVE YOU ME, WHEN THE DOC SAYS LIFE AND DEATH HE LEAVES THE HOSPITAL OVER THESE RN'S! ANGER AND HURT DOSN'T EVEN EXPLAIN WHAT I FEEL!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

WELL, I'VE HAD A NEW VIEW OF RN'S IN THE PAST WEEK, YES, THIS TIME IS MINE! MY SON IS SUFFERING FROM THE AFTERMATH OF CA TX., HE HAS LOCK JAW ECT., THIS PAST WEEK HE WAS IN BAPTIST HOSPITAL IN NC, BURNING UP WITH FEVER, THEY HAD ALREADY FOUND HIS LUNGS FULL OF BLOOD CLOTS, PLUS INFECTION THAT THE CULTURES HAVEN'T RETURNED YET! THEY ARE A RN HOSPITAL AND UP TO PAST 1AM I HAD FROM HIS RN NURSE TO THE HOSPITAL SUPERVISOR(NURSE) ON THE PHONE TRYING TO GET HIM HELP, THE NURSE WAS SMART WITH ME WHEN I ASKED HER TO PLEASE!, GO AND CHECK HIM, HE HAD CALLED ME TO SAY HE HAD PUSHED HIS BUTTON SEVERAL TIMES WITHOUT RESULTS, SO I HAD TO GET ON THE PHONE TO GET SOMEONE TO HIS ROOM, AND FINALLY AFTER TALKING WITH THE SUPERVISOR A CNA CAME IN AND HE HAD 102 TEMP, SHIVERING, ECT., SO AS FAR AS THE NC BOARD OF NURSING GIVING THESE RN'S JOBS, THEY BETTER LOOK AHEAD, I AM PLANNING ON HIRING A ATTORNEY RELATED TO THE HELL THAT THESE RN'S HAVE COST ME AN NOW MY SON AT HOME WITH A LIFE/DEATH SITUATION, NOT ONLY DID I HAVE A ALL NIGHTER, MY SON SAID MOM I CAN'T STAY ANOTHER NIGHT TO JUST GET ABUSED, SO HE CAME HOME, AND WITH ALL THE PRAYER THIS MOTHER CAN PRAY, I DO IT NIGHT AND DAY, THESE RN'S NEED TO GO INTO ANOTHER PROFESSION, ESPICALLY THIS ONE AND HER CO-WORKERS THAT I AND HE GOT THE SAME RESPONSE, LET THESE RN'S EXPERIENCE WHAT I HAVE AND BELIEVE YOU ME, WHEN THE DOC SAYS LIFE AND DEATH HE LEAVES THE HOSPITAL OVER THESE RN'S! ANGER

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

LVN 11years in Valley View, Texas

41 months ago

ICU at Georgetown in Sterling, Virginia said: Why? So she can sound ignorant? LPNs have a serious case of ENVY and want to become the RNs that they bash here? There is a reason why there is a difference in title and pay. LPNs don't know, what they don't know. Hospitals and the state board know better and that is why the scope of practice for LPNs is limited and requires that LPNs be directly supervised by a registered nurse. If you want to be a Real Nurse, go back to school.

OK. Lets see. I am a LVN for 11 years. My experience includes ER, ICU, Neonatal Nursury, Post Partum, Med-surg. Dont forget Nursing home! I have been given oppurtunities many LVN do not get the chance for. I have worked trama with the best of them. I have trained Rn's in several capasities. I hang the same Cardiac drips, heparin drips, insulin drips, as the rn next to me. My mother is an RN for 20 years. I believe I if the chance ever was given I could pass the RN Board. Yes LVN do Envy RN's but the reason I believe is that in TExas we do the EXACT same function as an RN! However if they ever do decide to take into consideration challenging the boards here I can only hope they would also be stipulation prior to the challenge not after. There is more knowlege learned from applying your skills than learning from the text book that is almost NEVER what actually is and outdated. I can understand where RN would be upset if LVN's were allowed to Challenge boards. But already 2 states that I am aware of allow it. I have only seen Rn's get upset about it when they have been in facilities where it is RN exclusive or have never been an LVN. As someone who is currently in RN school. I know that the main difference in the schooling is that LVN is mainly functionable teaching and Rn is mainly Supervisory. So LVN to RN gives you both. You can learn supervisory talents in the workplace or hey evn at home for all those mommies!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

RN student in Seminary, Mississippi

39 months ago

Rn school is longer than LPN school for a reason. I am really sad to see all of these "nurses" bashing each other. Instead of challenging boards, you should challenge yourself to go back to school. there are all kind of grants out there to help you. Personally, I don't want anyone who has not been trained in a nursing school to do any skills on me that they have not been trained for in school. That is what is wrong with this country, everybody wants something for nothing. 32 years experience or 2 years experience, GO BACK TO SCHOOL. We busted our butts in RN school and so should you. It is not fair that we went through hell to get our training and you get to just challenge our boards. There is alot of things you need to learn esp. if you have not been in school for 32 years. There are new medical advances everyday that you need to be taught. As far as you training RNs, i am sure it was simply shoeing them the ropes and PC system not training them to do skills they went to school for and you did not. My husband graduated 4 years ahead of me and I learned things in school that he did not and we went to the same school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

RN student in Seminary, Mississippi

39 months ago

CAROLINE in Cocoa, Florida said: WELL, I'VE HAD A NEW VIEW OF RN'S IN THE PAST WEEK, YES, THIS TIME IS MINE! MY SON IS SUFFERING FROM THE AFTERMATH OF CA TX., HE HAS LOCK JAW ECT., THIS PAST WEEK HE WAS IN BAPTIST HOSPITAL IN NC, BURNING UP WITH FEVER, THEY HAD ALREADY FOUND HIS LUNGS FULL OF BLOOD CLOTS, PLUS INFECTION THAT THE CULTURES HAVEN'T RETURNED YET! THEY ARE A RN HOSPITAL AND UP TO PAST 1AM I HAD FROM HIS RN NURSE TO THE HOSPITAL SUPERVISOR(NURSE) ON THE PHONE TRYING TO GET HIM HELP, THE NURSE WAS SMART WITH ME WHEN I ASKED HER TO PLEASE!, GO AND CHECK HIM, HE HAD CALLED ME TO SAY HE HAD PUSHED HIS BUTTON SEVERAL TIMES WITHOUT RESULTS, SO I HAD TO GET ON THE PHONE TO GET SOMEONE TO HIS ROOM, AND FINALLY AFTER TALKING WITH THE SUPERVISOR A CNA CAME IN AND HE HAD 102 TEMP, SHIVERING, ECT., SO AS FAR AS THE NC BOARD OF NURSING GIVING THESE RN'S JOBS, THEY BETTER LOOK AHEAD, I AM PLANNING ON HIRING A ATTORNEY RELATED TO THE HELL THAT THESE RN'S HAVE COST ME AN NOW MY SON AT HOME WITH A LIFE/DEATH SITUATION, NOT ONLY DID I HAVE A ALL NIGHTER, MY SON SAID MOM I CAN'T STAY ANOTHER NIGHT TO JUST GET ABUSED, SO HE CAME HOME, AND WITH ALL THE PRAYER THIS MOTHER CAN PRAY, I DO IT NIGHT AND DAY, THESE RN'S NEED TO GO INTO ANOTHER PROFESSION, ESPICALLY THIS ONE AND HER CO-WORKERS THAT I AND HE GOT THE SAME RESPONSE, LET THESE RN'S EXPERIENCE WHAT I HAVE AND BELIEVE YOU ME, WHEN THE DOC SAYS LIFE AND DEATH HE LEAVES THE HOSPITAL OVER THESE RN'S! ANGER

Not all Rn's are like that. I am so sorry you had a bad experience but dont spit on all of us because of your experience. I would have never treated you or your son that way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Allie in Tucson, Arizona

38 months ago

I hate to break it to some of the RN who think LPN aren't worth a crap. We learn all the same skills you do in school. If you look at the history of nursing it wasn't until just recently that they started changing the LPN scope of practice. LPN used to be able to do most everything an RN can do. Thats why people who went through school 10+ years ago should be able to challenge. There are very few differences between and RN and LPN. I work in a nursing home currently, in an 8 hours shift I have meds, treatments and charting to do on 25 people. We work just as hard as you do and we've learned the same things you have, we just don't get the college credit for them. And in all actuality some 12 month LPN programs have more clinical hours than RN programs. What they need to do is make all professions trade school based, cut the unneccessary bs out. As far as us being envious I don't think so, I say we're furious that we get paid half the money, and are expected to do the same job you do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

charlotte in Griffin, Georgia

36 months ago

Jenny in Roanoke, Virginia said: I have been an LPN in Virgina for 10 yrs. I wonder if there is a way to challenge the RN NCLEX board?

Go to petitiononline.com and sing the page for LPN's to sit for boards.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

scoupper1958@yahoo.com in Kimbolton, Ohio said: challenging the RN test would be quite interesting, I'm sure it step on alot of toes. But i would be willing after studying for a couple months. I've been an LPN for alost 25 yrs. I do the exact same thing an RN does, and sometimes better!

go to petitiononline.com read it and sign it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Robyn Sprecher in Dover Foxcroft, Maine said: did anyone ever get back to you re: challenging the test? i have also been an LPN for 15 and trained many RN. very frustrating. pleae let me know.

GO TO PETITIONONLINE.COM AND SIGN FOR LPN'S TO SIT FOR BOARD.

36 months ago

jackie in La Crescenta, California said: yes I will, and I know many many other LVN are willing to write a letter to the board for challenge, but really we don't know how to start! I guess a sincere and honest attorney will help us, Good Luck and God Bless you

GO TO PETITIONONLINE.COM AND SIGN AND PASS IT ALONG

36 months ago

laura dallas in Decatur, Georgia said: i have been an working lpn for 11 yrs, and a cna for 15 years. i had hoped to find a way to challenge the rn without taking the cources in class.

GO TO PETITIONONLINE.COM SIGN IT AND PASS IT ALONG.

karla in port orange,Fl. in Port Orange, Florida

36 months ago

I have been an LPN for 29 years and have hospital, office, case managment experience. I do believe LPN's should be able to challenge the boards. not all of them but ones that have alot of experience. There is not much that R.N's do these days that LPN's are not able to do. The only exception is that we do the same job and are not getting paid.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

athenaspell in Hanover, Pennsylvania

35 months ago

I disagree completely. Ive been an LPN with general education requirements met. I ve been in nursing for over 30 years. Ive had all the clinical I need lol. Ive worked in every area of nursing and am now doing case management. I DO NOT NEED MORE NURSING SCHOOL...LOL.. i NEED TO PROVE that Im capable of advanced nursing practice from experience alone. Id be willing to take some transitional courses but to be forced to take classes I do not need is not practical.Experience is more important than knowledge... A quote by Einstein. Why can we not prove this ???? If I can demonstrate competency along with other LPNs then so be it !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Peggy in Oregon, Wisconsin

34 months ago

R Wrenn in Fincastle, Virginia said: I would LOVE to get to be a """REAL NURSE RN""".I have worked for 20 years as nurse and also have trained RN to do jobs and track there orientation. I received my nursing during a RN shortage and was trained in a capping system and used just like a RN with a RN manager in the hospital I would think that 20 years experience on the job and 18 months of school and a nursing exam should match 2-4 years of RN school? now I find myself unable to be hired by the hospital because they want all RN and Dr's offices want Med Techs because they are cheaper.I find myself unable to be a LPN except at a level that is not where I wantbe at as a nurse.

Apparently you do not know that an LPN IS a real nurse. I feel sorry for you.

srami10142 in Bakersfield, California

32 months ago

In 1993 I took an EMT course and passed. I have been an EMT, phlebotomist and a CNA in Hawaii (its where I got all my valueable experiance)then a phlebotomist in california.
In between I took classes in Hawaii to satisfy the requirements to become an LVN in Hawaii or California.
I moved back to California and applied at the private clinic (where now I am employed) worked as a Phlebotomist for three years at the clinic and eventually went to the hospital to work as phlebo and satisfy more time requirements for the state.
I applied and challenged the California State exam in 2006. I took the test twice, failing it once and then passing it the second time. I quickly looked around for an IV certification course. I took the course and passed it. I was working at local hospital and was transferred to a sniff level. The managers were not very supportive of how I gotten my VN licensed and got rid of me and I transferred back to lab. The hospital got rid of the LVN's with Gods blessing he found me another job. I have been a LPN for the last 4 or 5 years and currently working at the private clinic I started it out in California.
I believe there is a way to challenge the RN boards. I could be wrong. I could have read it wrong or maybe California does'nt do it anymore. We have to satisfy 30 or 50 units of science courses. The courses are the same preq's to get into the RN program.
Please if anyone can research this and verify this or maybe we can get a petition going and asking the State whoever has at least 5 to 8 years of experience and have the 30 or 50 units of science preq's can challenge the RN boards.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

italybound

32 months ago

"
You have to be kidding me. A "real nurse" does not mean "RN".
While many long time LVNs may need a class or two, there is alot to be said for on the job training.
How long have you been a RN? (are you even a RN?) I am sure you would agree the clinicals in school no way prepared you for your job.
Do you work in ICU? (Just because your title is so doesn't mean anything.) I did, along with the burn unit, Med surg, OB and peds. I have been a nurse for more than 30 years.
I don't see the LVNs as envious of you or your title. I see them as hard workers who have taken a back seat to the hospitals who feel an all RN staff is the way to go, or out of the clinics when clinics started hiring medical assistants to save money.
Yet, the LVNs I work with are unit managers, ADONs and charge nurses, not just lowly nurses in some hospital.
I would think, with the nursing shortage, one would much rather have an experienced english speaking LVN challenge the RN boards. It is scary when the new RNs are from a country where RNs don't even do CPR, or have a very difficult time with our language.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

brambleton in Chantilly, Virginia

32 months ago

Italy,

I don't know where you work, but there are no LVN/LPNs in my hospital at all, much less LVNs who would hold a CN or Manager's position. That's laughable. Good luck with challenging the Boards. Maybe I should consider challenging an Advanced Practice Board, like Anesthesia or FNP, why not?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

It is not laughable for an LPN to hold advanced practice positions. I have been an LPN for over 30 years and I do case management for 4 counties. I also hold a PhD and am in school finishing my RN. The nurse who commented on the thread and said, " an LPN holding those positions is laughable " shows pride and arrogance . A nurse is not a nurse because she holds a degree only... Skills can be learned in the field as well as in a classroom... This individual has much to learn in the genre of nursing practice. Assessment skills can be learned in many environments. While I agree that education is very important and I believe every nurse should be an RN, I am all for grandfathering in long time experienced, practicing LPNs. I also feel permitting them to take boards,after a transitions course with A and P and micro b should be allowed .

brambleton in Chantilly, Virginia

32 months ago

athenaspell in Hanover, Pennsylvania said: It is not laughable for an LPN to hold advanced practice positions. I have been an LPN for over 30 years and I do case management for 4 counties. I also hold a PhD and am in school finishing my RN. The nurse who commented on the thread and said, " an LPN holding those positions is laughable " shows pride and arrogance . A nurse is not a nurse because she holds a degree only... Skills can be learned in the field as well as in a classroom... This individual has much to learn in the genre of nursing practice. Assessment skills can be learned in many environments. While I agree that education is very important and I believe every nurse should be an RN, I am all for grandfathering in long time experienced, practicing LPNs. I also feel permitting them to take boards,after a transitions course with A and P and micro b should be allowed .

Should it be allowed that an experienced RN be able to challenge the Advance Practice Boards after a transition course as well then? Such as moving on to become FNP, CRNA, etc? That Masters degree is a real stumbling block isn't it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

I have been an LPN for over 30 years. What I learned did not come from a classroom alone but from many years of applied experience. I hold a bachelors degree, PhD in another field and now do case management. I am back in school getting my RN. So far the only classes I have needed are the advanced science's as refreshers. LPNs in advanced practice are to be commended. They gained their education in practice from experience... That certainly does not make them any less qualified to assess patient needs. A nurse is not someone who holds a degree alone... She exemplify s leadership and the ability to act in a professional manner towards the clients she serves. Compassion and knowledge work together to make a great nurse. A Degree simply shows I attained the necessary skills to practice and obtain my license to implement what I learned. Education is an organized body of a teaching community that sets standards that they expect everyone to meet in order to fill the roles in a specific area/vocation. Those skill sets/educational modals may be accomplished in practice and through experience alone. LPNs who have gained those skill sets have already achieved those levels in nursing practice. I believe education is important but some nurses should be allowed to challenge the RN boards after a transitions course and a few courses in general education and sciences. I do not concur that LPNs need RN courses when they have gained education through experience in multiple and diverse settings.The issue here is that it has no governance as an organized body and that is why LPNs are forced to go to school for things they already know

32 months ago

Yes it is... If you have learned those skills in another environment outside of a classroom a nurse should be allowed to challenge any area of practice she feels competent in. If she has not then she needs to go to school and gain the necessary skill sets through classroom instruction and not in field practice . Some skills and knowledge can be gained only in a classroom.. some by experience alone and some in combination.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in Fairfield, California

30 months ago

Jenny in Roanoke, Virginia said: I have been an LPN in Virgina for 10 yrs. I wonder if there is a way to challenge the RN NCLEX board?

California has a 30 credit program where you can then challenge the NCLEX-RN. It's a one year program and allows you to "challenge" without the usual education requirements to become an RN. Hope this is helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

s semien in Houston, Texas

28 months ago

nursing now about the dollars,not pt care,good/bad LVN/LPN-RN ,RN don't like hands on,no pt care at all

gracenhope in Lisbon, Ohio

25 months ago

Personally LPN didn't train me and if they tried I went to the manager as I don't doubt their clinical experience but RN school is different in their education if it wasn't then it would be lpn/rn school. I wouldn't train a dr. If I was an rn, just the same lpn shouldn't train rn. Imo

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Maria007 in Columbia, South Carolina

25 months ago

Some research should be a prerequisite before posting. Advance practicing RN do indeed teach and train medical students and residents. So an LPN can train an RN. Having been through both Lpn and RN school I do not think a challenging system should be in place, but an experience lpn can train a new grad rn...

Tisha in Deland, Florida

24 months ago

I have just now read the comments. I am an LPN with over 17 years experience, and, like others, have had to guide some RN's. I am IV, Wound-Care, Stroke certified, have worked hemodialysis, hospital, SNF, home health (where I did most of the hands on care), and many other positions. I suggest we all get together and form some sort of union, or a collective group, where we can all petition our state boards. They are not going to listen to just one of us! Whatever the rest of you decide, please include me. I have been laid off since 11/11/11 because LPN's were eliminated in my facility, and I STILL cannot find a job. Unemployment does not pay all my bills. From looking at your e-mails, it seems the situation is a nation-wide crisis. Let me know if we can all stand together.

jackie in La Crescenta, California

24 months ago

count me in!!!!! I am telling you people for 2 years now... forget about those RN's that talking nonsense, bla bla bla....
right now at this moment Im training new RN grad, she can't even doing proper BS monitoring ( CNA is doing better than her)
so we have to do something to change the law/rules and regulations. I did my part. I wrote a letter to my governor, you can do too, one person can't change the law. GOOD LUCK

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BonsaiRN in Someplace, New York

22 months ago

Ok, I just have to respectfully respond to this post. I believe LPNs and RNs both have an important job, are hopefully passionate about their job and both deserve respect.

I am a new graduate RN and just started my first job at a LTC facility and am being trained by LPNs (I am the only RN on the floor). The LPN training me has had her license and been working in this facility for 3 years. She had to teach me how to use the accuchek. She was condescending about it and made several remarks this week about little things here and there about LPNs training the RNs. In clinical we never used the machines, because we never had the codes to do so. While we are trained and must be proficient in our skills, a large part of our clinical and academic studies focus on critical thinking, besides our ability to complete tasks.

We (LPN and I) had a patient admitted to us from the hospital with COPD, CHF, CKD who just had an episode of ARF. It was I who initiated pt. assessment-Lung sounds, LE edema, etc. to evaluate and assess for symptoms of fluid overload/complications. The LPN training me does not even have a stethoscope. She told me it was not necessary to assess the pt, that she was "good" and stable.

Now, I do not judge this LPN and she should not judge me for not knowing how to use the accuchek. LPN and RN education is different and we have a different license and scope of practice because our training is different!!! Just because an RN may need some practice with a skill, she has been trained to critically think, utilize the nursing process, interpret data and anticipate/evaluate patient outcomes. When an LPN does not use critical thinking to the depth the RN does, I do not consider her stupid, but understands that she has a different education, different experience in the profession and license than the RN. It is true, you don't know what you don't know until you know! Just because you may have to teach an RN a skill, don't assume you outsmart her!

RAFFMAN in Red Deer, Alberta

22 months ago

Fist of all, people who writes in forums with caps lock are just plain rude. Know the rules in forums please. Writing in caps lock are just like shouting in real life.

Making a general assumptions that LPNs with much greater experience are way better then RNs with less experience, of course they do. Regardless if your in medical field or not thats an acceptable reality.

We also have to think first with what we have to say before we are making generalization. If you see one RN that does not know anything does not mean the rest of the RNs in this world are not good. I myself have a degree both in physiotherapy and nursing and I can not just say to my co worker that I am way better than anybody else on the nursing floor.

LPNs and RNs holds 2 different jobs even their job descriptions overlaps to each other. I admit that there are tons of unnecessary courses needed to take to become an RN but some of the courses does make a difference.

Evidence based practice and additional courses fills in the gaps of knowledge of LPNs if they have to bridged in to become RNs.

I do agree that LPNs with an agreed standard number of experiences should challenge the exam but at the same time they are mandatory to attend courses after at the employers expense and theirs to fill in their gaps of knowledge.

No offense but I have seen LPNs who cant even do critical thinking to their patients. I took my nursing degree in Canada and in the past an LPN with 15 years of experience who mentored me lacks the knowledge that I think an RN should have. My knowledge are just basically from physiotherapy and nursing degree. She have the skills that a nurse can possess but the knowledge was weak which still leaves a gap of knowledge from being an RN.

Raffman, BSPT, BSN

RAFFMAN in Red Deer, Alberta

22 months ago

I also hate to see people telling themselves that I already know this stuff so why should I take the course. But yet they still get wrong answers when they write the exams. A person who knows everything about the course and does not believe that he needs to take that should have no reason to get wrong answers.

No pun intended.

Raffman, BSPT, BSN

Lorihlpn in Boynton Beach, Florida

3 months ago

Peggy Chapman in Raleigh, North Carolina said: There needs to be a challenge for LPN'S to sit for the RN boards. especially the ones tat have practicing for 15-20 yrs and longer. Going back to school after nursing that long is just unheard of. Even if you did the nursing instructors would torture you.

I agree. I have been an LPN for 16 yrs and prior to that I was an MA for 10 yrs. I have searched many sites looking for the same answers all of you are searching for but I have hit a wall each time it appears that there is no way to challenge the the RN exam. I believe it's a shame that our yrs of experience don't count for anything with the board of nursing. I have trained many RN'S over the years and have worked with many RN'S that feel they are superior just because of there initials but put them in a life or death situation and they are useless. I have also worked with some truly wonderful RN'S. The position I hold now is not one many LPN'S would have the opportunity to do. I have been very lucky in my career working in ambulatory surgery since I graduated nursing school and I have been the nurse manager of an office base surgery center for 6 yrs where I hire the RN'S that work with me, my boss hired me on my experience and gave me a chance but I would still like the opportunity to take the Nclex exam and prove I would have no problem passing it, because unlike my employer most want to see those initials so in a nut shell if any of you find any information that would be helpful I would really appreciate it. It is nice to see others out there sharing in my frustration having the skills to do the job just not the initials to go with it. Good luck to you all.

ltob in Deland, Florida

3 months ago

I am an LPN with 20 years experience in multiple fields, with numerous certifications (IV, Wound Care, Stroke), but have been laid off, due to the increasing elimination of LPN's in the healthcare field. We are systematically being replaced with CMA's, PCT's, 'Nurse Assistants', or whatever title is chosen for persons who are not licensed nurses, but can be paid a salary much less than LPN's. I agree that we should be offered the opportunity to challenge the NCLEX RN state board exam. After WWII, Practical Nurses were "grandfathered" in, to Registered Nurse status. I am 54 years old, and can work for many more years, but, even if I had the money, I would not be able to gain an ASN for at least 6-7 years, as they expect us to take every, single Pre-Req, before we can enter the bridge program. There are very few jobs for LPN's, and the competition for the few jobs that still exist is astronomical. When we try to apply for Tech or Phlebotomy jobs, etc., we are told that we are over-qualified. That's if we even get a response at all, to our applications. We keep reading how nurses are in-demand. Even RN's are sick of all the extra work that has been heaped upon them, due to the elimination of LPN's. For the patients' sake, jobs for LPN's need to be re-instated; OR, we should be allowed to challenge the state board.

3 months ago

jackie in La Crescenta, California said: how many signature we need for petition anyway? we have almost 700 now, somebody tell me!

I signed it yesterday and it was up to 813

3 months ago

LVN 11years in Valley View, Texas said: OK. Lets see. I am a LVN for 11 years. My experience includes ER, ICU, Neonatal Nursury, Post Partum, Med-surg. Dont forget Nursing home! I have been given oppurtunities many LVN do not get the chance for. I have worked trama with the best of them. I have trained Rn's in several capasities. I hang the same Cardiac drips, heparin drips, insulin drips, as the rn next to me. My mother is an RN for 20 years. I believe I if the chance ever was given I could pass the RN Board. Yes LVN do Envy RN's but the reason I believe is that in TExas we do the EXACT same function as an RN! However if they ever do decide to take into consideration challenging the boards here I can only hope they would also be stipulation prior to the challenge not after. There is more knowlege learned from applying your skills than learning from the text book that is almost NEVER what actually is and outdated. I can understand where RN would be upset if LVN's were allowed to Challenge boards. But already 2 states that I am aware of allow it. I have only seen Rn's get upset about it when they have been in facilities where it is RN exclusive or have never been an LVN. As someone who is currently in RN school. I know that the main difference in the schooling is that LVN is mainly functionable teaching and Rn is mainly Supervisory. So LVN to RN gives you both. You can learn supervisory talents in the workplace or hey evn at home for all those mommies!

Can you please tell me which 2 states allow you to challenge the boards. I have searched but have been unsuccessful in finding any states that allow it.

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.