Starting out as a LPN

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (451 to 485 of 485)
Page:  « First « Previous   7  8  9  10   

Faith in Haledon nj in Haledon, New Jersey

29 months ago

I feel so frustrated because i trained outside of this country but i did the boards and got my LPN licence since 2009 but unfortunately no one wants to even offer you an interview without experience here yet i have 10 years of nursing experience.and there are no more refresher courses for lpn's in New Jersey.i have to get my Rn but i need to support myself and son.now i work in a group home for 10 bucks an hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

lielite in Newark, New Jersey

29 months ago

Tina in Lilburn, Georgia said: I took the LPN in Dutchess BOCES 10 years ago the thing I have ever done the only thing I regret is not going further with my nursing. Just an FYI Mount ST Mary's in Newburgh use to have an accelerated program for lpn-bsn for 1 1/2 years very demanding but sooooooooo worth it. Bring a single mom didn't allow for me to take it but I wish I did.

NURSING (LPN RN) WAGES AND CONDITIONS IN NORTH CAROLINA ARE PATHETIIIICC!!!! TRY $14.-17. AN HOUR..WTF??!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rosete

29 months ago

itscocoa in Tampa, Florida said: It depends on your finannces. Are you ready to make money now after a year or after two years? I am an LPN right now I make between 900.00 and 1000.00 a week one week. Last week I grossed 1800.00 one week not biweekly because of overtime. That is enough for me honestly to live. I want for nothing. I have only been a nurse for one year and a half. I plan to take the RN in about two years. I'm gonna work and pay some bills, save some money. Build up some 401k and security for the next two years then when I turn 40 I will bridge the rN in One year. I also just was offered a position as unit manager on a skilled unit. It's not about how long. It's how well you do. I have been everywhere with agency Hospitals and nursing homes,IV certified and I'm a lot more knowledgeable then some that have been nurses for years. They have only been in one place. one job or two. That is the difference.

Hi i live in Tampa. I've worked as school health for over a decade. Did immunization clinic wit homehealth and worked in a medical office for 5yrs. I was wondering if you can share urn secret of makin that kind of monetary here as an lpn. My aunt recently told me to look into infusion care pays real well. Id luv this area. Important not certified but have found some 2 day courses. Plus i did blood draws area docs office so important half way there . Ty

drgreat in New Albany, Ohio

28 months ago

Hi!I have been LPN since 2009.I had resigned to care for my sicked mom since may last year.I'm currently looking for LPN Position at Columbus Ohio.I'm willing to relocate if there is any opportuniy somewhere.I'm holding Ohio Licence.Please anyone who knows where they are Hiring Now!Be Blessed and Have a great weekend!

drgreat in New Albany, Ohio

28 months ago

Anybody who can hook me up with his or her boss to secure LPN Position!

Beth in Carencro, Louisiana

27 months ago

I found this site by googling "how to survive being an LPN in a nursing home"
I am desperately seeking some support and encouragement to get through a very stressful situation
Let me start by saying I love being a nurse! I gravitate to the geriatrics/elderly. My intentions from the start were simple: to provide care for elderly people who can no longer care for themselves- while maintaining their dignity.
I admit- when I began this journey in 2005- at 41 yrs old, having raised 4 children- I wanted to save the world- never really wanted to be an RN- thought that was too much admin and I wanted to hands-on nursing...
I've worked in several different positions...
I love the elderly- and there is a lot more skilled nursing involved in nursing home than used to be.
My problem is this: the CNAs here in Southern La are SO RACIST
they act very ugly to me- and if I stand up for myself- they take it out on the residents
It's absolutely absurd the way they don't work, and the way they cop an attitude with the white nurses-
THIS STRESS IS WHAT WILL MAKE ME LEAVE NURSING, not the nursing itself
I've tried to understand, and I always commend ANY employee for a job well done...
It's just so discouraging.... I'm old enough to be these girls mother, most of them, they just don't care.
And how can you fuss at someone for pooping their pants? Makes no sense to me
At the end of a shift- every shift- I start dreading the next shift-
This is not at all what I had planned for my life as a nurse, and I find it very depressing, which is affecting every aspect if my life.
I'm trying so hard not to give up- because the residents light up when they see me.
but I don't know how much more I can take

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kathy in Warwick, Rhode Island

27 months ago

I'm sorry you are having such a bad experience with the staff you're working with. The CNAs should be showing you respect, but they are probably jealous- and probably know you're fairly new to the healthcare field, so they're mean and trying to take advantage. I went back to school in my 40's to become an LPN. I returned to school in January and am working towards my RN. My advice to you is to speak with your supervisor- tell him/her you love working with the patients but are having trouble with the staff. I wouldn't name names- keep it general- and if it's happening to other LPNs as well- say so. If nothing changes- I would take the CNA aside and ask her what can you do to make things work better between the 2 of you at work. (try to put a positive spin on it) You don't deserve to be treated that way. See if she is receptive. If everything fails, I would look for another nursing home to work at, or for an agency doing homecare, etc. Good Luck!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

donna in Reading, Pennsylvania

26 months ago

i live in pa and i see postings for a lot of jobs

lielite in charlotte, North Carolina

23 months ago

msroc said: I have been an LPN since 1996. I graduated in NY, then moved to Pa to be an agency nurse. As an agency nurse in Pa, i did alot of nursing home/long term facilities . In doing so, i stopped doing IV's and blood draws. Now..all these years later, I have moved to Baltimore, MD, and there Lpns act more like "RN's". They have Med Techs out here to give out meds and other tasks an LPN would be doing in Pa.
So I am trying to find a refresher course that will help me with blood draws and starting IV's. Sounds silly, but as they say.."If you dont use it, you lose it". And i lost it. lol I am in the Baltimore area now. If anyone has any suggestions about places I could get this training, please let me know. thank you.
Kerry msroc@aol.com

Yes and ive got news for you folks!!! wether MA, LPN, RN OR NP, it doesnt matter!! nursing is not a field where the hardest part is getting through school-- you will work HARDER THAN YOU EVER HAVE BEFORE, FOR LESS $$$ AND POSSIBLY NO BENEFITS. save your time and effort and PICK ANOTHER FIELD.-- Dont make the mistake most of us have!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

cantonohiolpn in canton, Ohio

23 months ago

lielite in charlotte, North Carolina said: Yes and ive got news for you folks!!! wether MA, LPN, RN OR NP, it doesnt matter!! nursing is not a field where the hardest part is getting through school-- you will work HARDER THAN YOU EVER HAVE BEFORE, FOR LESS $$$ AND POSSIBLY NO BENEFITS. save your time and effort and PICK ANOTHER FIELD.-- Dont make the mistake most of us have!!!

I feel you get from it what you put into it. I am sorry that your career as a medical professional is not working out for you. I am happy and proud to be a nurse. Where I work I got paid great. My residents and families love me and they know there are struggles in nursing sometimes. Maybe it is just you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jan Yladvik in Chicago, Illinois

23 months ago

Where I live in Texas, there are TONS of LPN jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

bigtimenurse in West Palm Beach, Florida

23 months ago

Sam in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: What school do you suggest to get your LPN in South Florida?

Palm Beach State College

jcharbslpn in Seymour, Connecticut

23 months ago

Teddyk987 in West Haven, Connecticut said: Hi everyone,
I am a recent LPN graduate who is looking for a full time or part time nursing job. Being out of school since June and not being able to find ANYTHING has become discouraging. I feel like I have looked everywhere and a lot of places require you to have a minimum of one year experience, how am I suppose to do that if no one will hire me?! I am looking for help with names of assisted living facilities in CT that hires new grads. Thanks so much!

Hi! Have u had any luck yet? I'm also a new lpn grad in CT and it's hard out there. Even agencies dont want new grads anymore. Unfortunately, it is all about who u know! so im gna network and tell everyone in the world im a new grad looking for a job! lol hope it works! keep us up to date if uve found employment (how, where, etc).. thank u!

Jose N in Bronx, New York

22 months ago

Hello, i am a 39 y.o.male researching whether I want to be a lpn,then a rn. Does anybody know what the job market in NYC and the tri-state area is like for a newly graduated,male lpn with no experience? Salaries,hours,where(hospitals,agencies,etc)?Seems like there are alot of jobs in the area,although most are for experienced lpns.

Desperate NJ LPN in Westwood, New Jersey

22 months ago

Jan Yladvik in Chicago, Illinois said: Where I live in Texas, there are TONS of LPN jobs.

Where in Texas Jan?

lielite in charlotte, North Carolina

20 months ago

Desperate NJ LPN in Westwood, New Jersey said: Where in Texas Jan?

health care work/NURSING suxx a big one, believe me-- no $$$ or benifits either!!!. save your time.. biggest hospital nfear me layiing off 1000 this week!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dueser in Brooks, Georgia

20 months ago

kelly in Eaton, Ohio said: I have 4 words for you - GO FOR YOUR RN!!!!! LPNs are being fazed out in Ohio and are being replaced by $13/ hr . medical assistants. Also, if you work in a hospital you'll end up doing the RNS work and getting 1/3 of the pay.

Most hospitals are No longer recognizing the LPN as a nurse. They are performing tech duties. Some have been give a 2014 deadline to get their Rn. Now it is difficult to get hired unless you have a BSN. Hospitals with an eighty percent BSN ratio receive more federal funding.

Debbie in Chittenango, New York

18 months ago

anna in Port Orange, Florida said: As a seasoned LPN I am currently working under a contract at a small community 113 bed hospital .The paid rate is $30.00 per hr and at the end of 13 weeks if you don't call off they(the hospital ) pay a bonus of $5.00 for every hr. worked during the 13 wk. period. I have worked agency, float pool in house, private duty, nursing homes, icu, pcu,ortho, blah blah blah. Anyway my point is ...go everyplace you can. Each new area strengthens your skills and makes you more valuable to your patients and employers And it gives you a true sense of title vs knowledge . I work three 12 hr shifts a week= $2,160 every 2 wks plus a bonus of a minimum of $2,340 every 13 weeks. Or I could take a float pool position with them for $26.00 per hr and be part of their staff and still make more or at least as muck as a R.N. --get your A.C.L.S. and that also helps to get icu positions

Hello Anna,
I see that your post was some time ago but wanted to get some info if I could. I have been an LPN in New York State area going on 21 years. I have now been unemployed for a year and a half. I am looking to relocate but am trying to get info as to a good area and jobs that pay at least 25dollars and hour. Any ideas?
Thank you Debbie

Brenda in Macon, Georgia

18 months ago

I have always wanted to become a nurse.I am now 57 years old and recently lost my job and I am thinking about returning to school to train as an LPN. BUT,I feel that I may too old and I can't retire right now.Any words of advice?

jv855309 in Lancaster, Ohio

17 months ago

You are never too old to go back to school! I say go for it! You may be surprised at how happy you will be!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Robyn in Spokane, Washington

17 months ago

I am 60yrs old and returning to school. As long as you feel ok physically. Go for it. Its never to late. I work as an LPN and have worked as an LPN for 28yrs going on 29 yrs. I was recently put out of my position in an advanced care unit after 16yrs due to the unit changing to all RN's. I now work in Psych. Getting your RN is your best bet if you can do it. It will open alot of doors in your career. LPN's are still needed in healthcare and I'm proud to be one. Good Luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

JOBLESS in Taunton, Massachusetts

17 months ago

Thank you for the confidence booster seriously I remember how I loved LPN school yet it was the most stresssful time in my life. 54 I think the stress would give me a heart attack LOL!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Misswifie in Brooklyn, New York

14 months ago

lori in Queens Village, New York said: EXACTLY!

are you a nyc lpn?

armywife in Columbus, Georgia

14 months ago

Hello, I am a LPN here in Columbus, GA. I recently relocated here from NC. I moved here due to the fact that my significant other is a SGT in the army and is stationed here on Ft. Benning. Finding work here has been hard for me. Straight out of LPN school in NC and I had job offers, starting at $17.00/hr; whereas in GA I can't seem to find work and the one LTC facility that I did find wanted to start me $15.00/hr and they were a one star facility and state is in their building 14 times a yr. I was told in LPN school that nurses (LPN and RN) will always have a job; and I am finding that to not be so true. I love being a nurse but I hate being out of work. Is there any suggestions?

charline in Carteret, New Jersey

14 months ago

anna in Port Orange, Florida said: As a seasoned LPN I am currently working under a contract at a small community 113 bed hospital .The paid rate is $30.00 per hr and at the end of 13 weeks if you don't call off they(the hospital ) pay a bonus of $5.00 for every hr. worked during the 13 wk. period. I have worked agency, float pool in house, private duty, nursing homes, icu, pcu,ortho, blah blah blah. Anyway my point is ...go everyplace you can. Each new area strengthens your skills and makes you more valuable to your patients and employers And it gives you a true sense of title vs knowledge . I work three 12 hr shifts a week= $2,160 every 2 wks plus a bonus of a minimum of $2,340 every 13 weeks. Or I could take a float pool position with them for $26.00 per hr and be part of their staff and still make more or at least as muck as a R.N. --get your A.C.L.S. and that also helps to get icu positions

where can i get more info about this agency, Im planning to move to Fl and would like to start working making that hr rate?

Nadia in Cleveland, Ohio

8 months ago

Sonny in Loveland, Ohio said: I understand what you are saying but the thing is out here in Ohio there just isn't any jobs. Forget the shift that I desire, there isn't any jobs for the LPN unless you have a couple of years under your belt. How do you get the years if you can't get hired. I have sent out so many resumes that I lost count. So once again what to do?

My point exactly!!! How does one get the opportunity to gain the experience if their not given the chance to even get their foot in the door as a new LPN grad. I have just recently obtained my license as an LPN, in Cleveland Ohio when before then, I worked as an STNA for 10+ years and had no problem finding a job. I have put in application after application, and attended many job fairs. I'm still actively seeking my opportunity to just be offered employment as a NEW GRAD. Mind you if I was the one doing the hiring, I would look strongly to those who have previous experience as an STNA......for most of them, turn out to be the best nurses. I would also highly consider those who went as far as to complete nursing school....Because It's not easy. GOOD LUCK !!!.to every nurse seeking and every nurse actively working.

Shinto brown in Iselin, New Jersey

6 months ago

Sandi Correia LPN in Hollywood, Florida said: MA's even when trained in a school, do not have the clinical training in the same areas of patient care that LPNs have...they are trained to attend the patient in the office setting, on a short term...an office visit.....LPNs are trained for bedside nursing as well as the OR, the RR, the ER, and all the places in between. There is no way a MA could replace an LPN in the hospital and/or Long Term Setting.

She meant a medication aide and they are taking most of the lpn jobs in nursing homes only and when that happens lpn can only get per deim

Lpn n RN to be in Jackson Heights, New York

4 months ago

Faith in Haledon nj in Haledon, New Jersey said: I feel so frustrated because i trained outside of this country but i did the boards and got my LPN licence since 2009 but unfortunately no one wants to even offer you an interview without experience here yet i have 10 years of nursing experience.and there are no more refresher courses for lpn's in New Jersey.i have to get my Rn but i need to support myself and son.now i work in a group home for 10 bucks an hour.

Get your New York liscence n they will hire you in ny making at least 25 n up an hour

Misswifie in Brooklyn, New York

4 months ago

Lpn n RN to be in Jackson Heights, New York said: Get your New York liscence n they will hire you in ny making at least 25 n up an hour

Why do you say that? I would love to work as an lpn, is the market good in nyc for new grads?

daphnee89 in Elizabeth, New Jersey

4 months ago

where is that. email me the place

ERICA in Miami, Florida

4 months ago

Sam in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: What school do you suggest to get your LPN in South Florida?

MIAMI DADE C.C.

cy1560 in Glassboro, New Jersey

3 months ago

I got my LPN license in 2008. I did not find a job until 2011 and that was at a group home. I am an on call nurse. I could not get regular hours. Anyone have any ideas about where else an LPN can go for a job. I really need a job with regular hours. I have been on call with no days off for over a month.

basher in Oxford, New Jersey

3 months ago

go to a nursing home most start you out at 23 an hour and will give you orientation. don't worry about agencies most go thru staff so fast they have trouble keeping track. some are ok but you have to look. don't let somebody who isn't a nurse at all get you down they answer phones and fill shifts and sit at a desk and eat and gossip all day. I have taken pay cuts as an lpn in the north east so agency is 25-28 an hour for nursing homes.

Hector Feliciano in New Castle, Delaware

2 months ago

Amy said: Hello everyone, I just graduated nursing school in March and am awaiting to take my boards but my concern is that there are not as many LPN positions available as our instructors kept telling us there was and I don't forsee it being easy to attain a job in the field. Can anyone give me some valuable advise.

Thanks

Keep looking things are looking great for the professional LPN, in fact it gets better every day. Come join us on our free Network for LPN's www.lpnsocial.com

Hector Feliciano in New Castle, Delaware

2 months ago

Kathy in Warwick, Rhode Island said: I'm sorry you are having such a bad experience with the staff you're working with. The CNAs should be showing you respect, but they are probably jealous- and probably know you're fairly new to the healthcare field, so they're mean and trying to take advantage. I went back to school in my 40's to become an LPN. I returned to school in January and am working towards my RN. My advice to you is to speak with your supervisor- tell him/her you love working with the patients but are having trouble with the staff. I wouldn't name names- keep it general - and if it's happening to other LPNs as well- say so. If nothing changes- I would take the CNA aside and ask her what can you do to make things work better between the 2 of you at work. (try to put a positive spin on it) You don't deserve to be treated that way. See if she is receptive. If everything fails, I would look for another nursing home to work at, or for an agency doing homecare, etc. Good Luck!!

I totally agree, CNA's are not Nurses, you Are!!! The work under the supervision of a Professional Nurse "LPN" Come join us and share your concerns ate our new site for LPN's www.lpnsocial.com

Page:  « First « Previous   7  8  9  10   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.