Starting out as a LPN

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 482)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

Clarissa in Miami, Florida

74 months ago

Hi,
Please tell me the name of the agency that you are contracted with. I have just at 20 years experience.

I am a firm believer if you have the opportunity to go back for your RN you should. WAY too often LPNs are overlooked and certainly under appreciated.

The average new RN last 2.5 years on the floor. Just food for thought.

CC

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

sammi

74 months ago

I took my nclex for lpn on august 15th, found out I passed on the 17th and got a job on the 21st! I also got first shift so finding a job isn't that bad. hopefully this encourages those who are worried about finding jobs. They are out there. Oh and I got first shift too which everyone said would be hard to do :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Itismecocoa in Tampa, Florida

73 months ago

Good for you you go. Where do you live by the way? I just left a new agency in Tampa I am brand new 2 months only 20 hr which is low pay but They said once I show how dependable I am I will get more in tampa. I got my badge and time slips today. I'll be working everyother weekend. I'm going to the hospital and the Jail to start. Plenty money out there. It's everywhere in Florida from where I stand.

Stephanie barthelemy in Orange, New Jersey

73 months ago

Hello every my name is step , I will be certified as a nursing assistant next month but I want to go further like go for LPN.
Did any one know a school who offer that program in New Jersey so I don’t have to pay a lot of money the course. Please if any one knows a school you think is cheap please let me known my email is yaumha27@yahoo.com

God will bless you so

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jo in Piscataway, New Jersey

73 months ago

Jeff in Redmond, Washington said: The way I think about it this. Look here on Indeed. You will find plenty of job openings for LPNs. You got into the profession to help people, and the more responsibilty you take on as you gain experience, the more you will be able to help. Economics aside, a BSN allows you to do just this, provides you with the opportunity to grow your business and management skills as well. About the economics, you with a full BSN degree you'll make about 20K more a year, at least. I ran across a program that is accredideted by the National League of Nursing, an online Nursing program that is rated one of the best by Princeton University, so you won't have any trouble getting credits you earn transferred. PLUS, it is the only program that I know about that is for LPNs, is online, and allow you to gain your BSN degree. If online education is okay with you, this is a great way to study on your own schedule, keep your LPN salary as you earn your degree. You do your Clinicals Locally, and thers is no clinical testing. This is where I saw the info:
www.jobs-in-registered-nursing.com/LPN_or_RN_to_BSN.shtml

Hope this help.

I checked into one of the online programs, approved by the NJBON, but none of the local hospitals will let me do the clinical portion with them. When you say you do your clinicals locally, do you mean the school/program has already made arrangements with area hospitals or is there something else?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jo in Piscataway, New Jersey

73 months ago

I took the LPN course through the local vocational school and got licensed in 1985. Although I kept my license, and even went through the recently required background check, I am not an active LPN. I do however want to leave my desk job and go into the nursing field so I've done extensive search on LPN refresher course and found there are none in my area. I was able to find several online refresher courses which all require a certain number of clinical hours - makes sense right! Well I called the local hospitals to see if they'd allow me to do the clinical portion and was told that LPNs are being phased out or are no longer hired in this area - no one would allow me to do the clinicals. I've been researching this for month's with no success. I'm constantly receiving mail from TCN and RUE, but have never bothered to contact them because I can't seem to find a place that offers refresher and it's been well over 15 years. I started taking classes at the local University and have 45 credits and it seems like it's going to take forever to finish (need ~125 credits total for BA/BS). On top of that, the RN program at the local University requires precalculus and at 47 I haven't taken math in such a long time I'd have to start at such a remedial level it will take that much longer to do an RN at the local college. Although I get tuition remission, only the actual per credit amount is covered and I still have to pay students fees which is not set (the more credits you take the higher the student fees). Unfortunately, the tuition remission can not be used anywhere else but this University. It just seems it will be faster to major in something else, but then I wouldn't be in nursing. I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place - wanting to go back to Nursing and not wanting to have to start from scratch and have it take 6-8 years to get a Bachelor's. So... having said all that, should I just be looking to start over again - from scratch?

deborah dean in Columbia, South Carolina

73 months ago

forget the lpn thing if you can go in another direction. it seems to be a complete waste of time and alot of trouble with little money or job security.
i have been an lpn since 1979, and to me it sure looks like there is NO nursing shortage as lpn's sure are not valued or wanted except in the dungeons of skilled ltc.
sad but true. i personally feel used and unappreciated by society. i guess they should bandage their own wounds for a while...or see if they can get family or friends to do it!!!!!!
yeah rn's, ***** lpn's. and here in s.c., there is practical NO dicernable leagal difference in what the lpn verses rn does!!!!!
signed...mad at society

Sherri in Germantown, Maryland

73 months ago

I am starting school in January for my pre-reqs for an LPN program. Any info. anyone has for me would be great. Im not sure which school Im going to attend either. Im nervous I wont make great $$. I am already a licensed esthetician(skin care therapist) & my goal is to work in a dermatologists or plastic surgeons office so that I can have (possibly nights) & weekends off. I would like to make @ least $18/hr. Is this unreasonable? Anyone one an LPN that works in the skin care industry? Any advice?

deborah in Columbia, South Carolina

73 months ago

doubtful you will get the 18 an hour. you have to have alot of expirience to get that. i have over 20 years and alot of extra training. still, even in travel opportunities...refelecting the status nationwide, the best you can get regardless is up to about 25/hr, but not as a new grad. depending on location, you might get 15, and likely less starting out. better go for the rn right away, or medical coding or resp therapy...something.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sammi

73 months ago

Itismecocoa in Tampa, Florida said: Dont go to through The College Network it's a rip off nobody I know has ever finished. It's a middle man company you can go through Elverlsior college directly in newyork noline. with out paying a middle man they wont tell you that.

yeah I'm going straight to excelsior. You can buy college network books on ebay for way cheaper than it costs to get it from them. Also on ebay you can find tons of study resources from people who went through excelsior, alot of people reprint their detailed notes for cheap. Getting your LPN to RN is so much cheaper than anything I've found by going to excelsior, I'm going to be starting up soon!!!

jacki- in Reynoldsburg, Ohio

73 months ago

Is there any from NC that can tell me if new grads have a hard time finding employment as a LPN.

Gillian in Louisville, Kentucky

73 months ago

I recently retired - June - from state government and am looking at the rest of my life. I'm late middle-age. I've been considering going to the Galen school of nursing to get my LPN. Then I plan to work 10 years and retire. Galen charges $15,000/year tuition. A lot of money to me. I don't want to go down this path unless I can get a job on the other side. Then there is also the issue of will I be physically able to do the work when I am almost 70. I'd appreciate any comments in regard to my tentiative career move.

Sarah in Indianapolis, Indiana in Indianapolis, Indiana

73 months ago

I admire your drive. My situation is closly related to yours, and I wonder about the same issues.
I have been working as a medical assistant for several years, am 53 years old, working as a school helath assistant, and I love it but the pay is not good.
I need a job change that pays more money than what I am making now. I am still toying with the idea of nursing, either the LPN or the two year RN. I'm just afarid the two year RN may be too stressful for these old bones. So should I go for the LPN first, then upgrade online to the RN later, or totally look in a different direction.
Life change in Indy ; )

73 months ago

Hi Sarah. Yes it sounds like we're in similar situations. I'm 58 for the record. I worked 29 years as an aquatic biologist for the Kentucky Division of Water. Last summer - 2007 - I was certified as a CNA. My primary reasons for looking at nursing are as a second career and to work in an area where I can help others. Two issues present themselves: (1) one year to get an LPN costs less than the two years for an associate RN (2) Rns make more and there is greater flexibility. So at this point two years schooling, plus ten years work equals 70 years old. Of course with the way Social Security is going, we may be 70 before becoming eligible. So there's a lot to consider. I just don't want to put a lot of money into becoming a nurse and then not find a job.

Sarah in Indianapolis, Indiana in Indianapolis, Indiana said: I admire your drive. My situation is closly related to yours, and I wonder about the same issues.
I have been working as a medical assistant for several years, am 53 years old, working as a school helath assistant, and I love it but the pay is not good.
I need a job change that pays more money than what I am making now. I am still toying with the idea of nursing, either the LPN or the two year RN. I'm just afarid the two year RN may be too stressful for these old bones. So should I go for the LPN first, then upgrade online to the RN later, or totally look in a different direction.
Life change in Indy ; )

Sarah in Indianapolis, Indiana in Indianapolis, Indiana

73 months ago

Gillian in Louisville, Kentucky said: Hi Sarah. Yes it sounds like we're in similar situations. I'm 58 for the record. I worked 29 years as an aquatic biologist for the Kentucky Division of Water. Last summer - 2007 - I was certified as a CNA. My primary reasons for looking at nursing are as a second career and to work in an area where I can help others. Two issues present themselves: (1) one year to get an LPN costs less than the two years for an associate RN (2) Rns make more and there is greater flexibility. So at this point two years schooling, plus ten years work equals 70 years old. Of course with the way Social Security is going, we may be 70 before becoming eligible. So there's a lot to consider. I just don't want to put a lot of money into becoming a nurse and then not find a job.

Hi Gillian,
I know it's so difficult to decide. I do love my job as an RMA and working in the school setting, with good hours, and off time what seems like every month or two. However the pay is not great, though could be worse.
I do know first hand, that nursing program's can be very stressful.
Many years ago I was in such a program when we got moved to Germany as husband was military.
I was a quarter shy of completing the LPN program and had to move when uncle Sam said "move", so I never got to finish.
When we came back to the states there was a waiting list a mile long for any nursing program back in the late 70's so I went to Medical Assisting School just to complete something quickly that I could use as we moved around with the military you know?
I can tell you the nursing program was difficult in my 20's and that was a LONG time ago. So I hate to think what it must be like trying to keep up now days.
I am also looking at becomming a Natural Health Consultant. I know a lot of people will say it's all a bunch of blolgna, BUT Natural Health is really where my interest lies. So my investigation continues.
Please keep in touch.
Sara

Chris in Buffalo, New York

73 months ago

hormah in Columbus, Ohio said: I also graduated from an expensive Private LPN school, and I've been looking everywhere for a job, in columbus I think its hard to find an LPN job these and I have filled out close to twenty applications and I am at my wits's end, my school loan is huge and the prospect are not looking good in columbus. If you are capable go back to school for an RN, I think its the best since the nursing homes are filling LPN positions with RN's. This is frustrating.

In Buffalo there are plenty of LPN positions starting at about 14.00/hour with no experience. If you have some experience it's about 16 an hour. There are choices of any shift. Homecare nursing has lots of openings in all of WNY.

dm in richmond,va in Saint Cloud, Minnesota

73 months ago

ive been working as a lpn for the past 15mths and i am burned out already i just realized that i really hate working in the skilled nursing home and that seems to be the only place the pays well i make 19.75/hr which is not bad at all but the atmosphere is soooo stressful my don in a rn and has no respect what so ever for lpn she stood up and said in a nurses meeting that "lpns come a dime a dozen" ive worked in healthcare for about 3yrs now i was a home health aide for 2yr and i just started taking prereq. for my rn so i can work in the OR but im going crazy in the nursing home and the assisted living where i work part time is just a few steps behind the skill unit i work and it pays only $15 but its a slower pace and honestly not that bad but they bring in people who needs lifts or at least gait bealts and being an assisted living facility you cant have those needed things what else is out there for lpns that will allow me pay rent and eat and oh yea put gas in the car

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sorry

73 months ago

dm in richmond,va in Saint Cloud, Minnesota said: ive been working as a lpn for the past 15mths and i am burned out already i just realized that i really hate working in the skilled nursing home and that seems to be the only place the pays well i make 19.75/hr which is not bad at all but the atmosphere is soooo stressful my don in a rn and has no respect what so ever for lpn she stood up and said in a nurses meeting that "lpns come a dime a dozen" ive worked in healthcare for about 3yrs now i was a home health aide for 2yr and i just started taking prereq. for my rn so i can work in the OR but im going crazy in the nursing home and the assisted living where i work part time is just a few steps behind the skill unit i work and it pays only $15 but its a slower pace and honestly not that bad but they bring in people who needs lifts or at least gait bealts and being an assisted living facility you cant have those needed things what else is out there for lpns that will allow me pay rent and eat and oh yea put gas in the car

exactly where are you living? I see Richmond, Va and St. Cloud, Minnesota because the pay is good for somebody with less than 2 years of experience.

73 months ago

"I can tell you the nursing program was difficult in my 20's and that was a LONG time ago. So I hate to think what it must be like trying to keep up now days."

Hi Sarah,

I've heard second hand about this. My former KDOW supervisor's sister sold her home and used the money she got to enter nursing school at the University of Kentucky. After a couple months she knew she had made a mistake. She just didn't want to put in the effort it would take to get her degree. Everyone has told me it's a rough go in nursing school. I'm a bit afraid of laying out a lot of money then nto finding a job after I get out. I know nothing is guaranteed.

If you wish to email me directly, my address is: highlandlass0408@yahoo.com.

Sarah in Indianapolis, Indiana in Indianapolis, Indiana said: Hi Gillian,
I know it's so difficult to decide. I do love my job as an RMA and working in the school setting, with good hours, and off time what seems like every month or two. However the pay is not great, though could be worse.
I do know first hand, that nursing program's can be very stressful.
Many years ago I was in such a program when we got moved to Germany as husband was military.
I was a quarter shy of completing the LPN program and had to move when uncle Sam said "move", so I never got to finish.
When we came back to the states there was a waiting list a mile long for any nursing program back in the late 70's so I went to Medical Assisting School just to complete something quickly that I could use as we moved around with the military you know?
I can tell you the nursing program was difficult in my 20's and that was a LONG time ago. So I hate to think what it must be like trying to keep up now days.
I am also looking at becomming a Natural Health Consultant. I know a lot of people will say it's all a bunch of blolgna, BUT Natural Health is really where my interest lies. So my investigation continues.
Please keep in touch.
Sara

Krista in Asheboro, North Carolina

73 months ago

I'm a new LPN looking for a job in my area and so far the pay range varies depending on where and how much you want to work and when. Nursing homes range from 16.25-20/hr... hospitals range from 14.50-16.. and dr's offices/clinics range from 14-17/hr. Of course these are just for the places I've applied at so far and I have no experience as a CNA or LPN so I'm definitely base pay. Here I have noticed that they are trying to go all RN staff in most hospitals unless you have a lot of experience under your belt or you want to work in the ER. Nursing homes pay us great around here and usually you are a hall nurse so you pretty much have your own control over your patients. Dr's offices around here are usually combined with MAs and LPNs. But as a new LPN it has been more difficult finding a job than I thought it'd be. Of course I'm very impatient and have only been searching for 6 days. haha. I have my first interview tomorrow. That was my top choice on my list so I'm very excited. Anyways I hope this helps. But if I had to choose again I would have went RN first... I have to go back to finish up my last year in 7 months. You just have so many more choices and wayyyy better pay. But between MAs and LPNs they do have very similar capabilities and go to school the same amount of time it's just that they get paid much less for doing the same work. (That's what the CMAs across the hall in school said anyways.)

Sherri in Germantown, Maryland

73 months ago

Thank you for the info. It was helpful.

jacki in Reynoldsburg, Ohio

73 months ago

Thanks Krista for you opinion. Good luck on the interview.

Laura in Creston, British Columbia

72 months ago

Hi,

I'm in BC, Canada and here we are always hearing, "If you go to the states you'll make so much more money and their desperate for LPN's". From looking at the comments here it seem to be the other way around. I graduate in December and I have a job(casual but still a job)that will start immediately at $23.75 with a pay raise to $25.00 in April/09, plus an extra 12% instead of benifits/sicktime/vacation plus shift differential($1-$1.5/hr)evenings/nights/and weekends. The company(Interior Health) is offered jobs to all the class because they are in such demand.

LPN's are skilled labour so anyone from the States that wants to look up here will have no trouble getting a work permit.

Sincerely,

Laura

Ps. you can check out Interior Healths website if interested

Jonnnetta in Gainesville, Florida

72 months ago

Laura in Creston, British Columbia said: Hi,

I'm in BC, Canada and here we are always hearing, "If you go to the states you'll make so much more money and their desperate for LPN's". From looking at the comments here it seem to be the other way around. I graduate in December and I have a job(casual but still a job)that will start immediately at $23.75 with a pay raise to $25.00 in April/09, plus an extra 12% instead of benifits/sicktime/vacation plus shift differential($1-$1.5/hr)evenings/nights/and weekends. The company(Interior Health) is offered jobs to all the class because they are in such demand.

LPN's are skilled labour so anyone from the States that wants to look up here will have no trouble getting a work permit.

Sincerely,

Laura

Ps. you can check out Interior Healths website if interested

It may be cost of living id higher there. Becuse we are making 20.00 now and our cost is way cheaper here.

Jonnnetta in Gainesville, Florida

72 months ago

kelly in Eaton, Ohio said: I have 4 words for you - GO FOR YOUR RN!!!!! LPNs are being fazed out in Ohio and are being replaced by $13/hr. medical assistants. Also, if you work in a hospital you'll end up doing the RNS work and getting 1/3 of the pay.

True becasue I am MA and I work as a surgical coord at 15.00 start

Robin Rochester, MN in Saint Louis, Missouri

72 months ago

I have been out of nursing (LPN) for almost 2 years. I barely had a chance to get started, I got sick, then my dad got sick and passed away. I had to take care of my dad. Anyhow I am ready to go back to work. I do not plan on being an LPN the rest of my life but need to make some money while I finish school for another career. Most places want an experienced LPN with IV training and all that. When I went to school they taught nothing but the basics; passing meds, vitals, shots etc... Where would I get refresher training first of all and some of these advanced skills? I need my license renewed etc...I have been out of nursing so long I know I need some refreshers. My background is 6 years of being an NA, then some short term jobs as an LPN (i moved around trying to find a setting I liked)but like I said I have been a stay at home mom/caretaker for a bit and employers do not like that.

Laura in Creston, British Columbia

72 months ago

In BC, Canada, the College of Licences Practical Nurses has all the upgrading courses and lots of other useful stuff right on their website. Checkout the website for what every licensing body you are under and they might have it too.

med ast about to become a rn

72 months ago

I just wanted to start off by saying that im a med ast with 10yrs exp. In 2004 the job market changed and they started requiring ma's to be certified by aama or amt. This was something that wasn't enforced or encouraged when I was in school back in 97. They're too many schools opening ma programs and not enough jobs to accomodate. I've been fortunate in my experience to work in hospital and office setting with experience in peds,ob/gyne,internal medicine,infertility. I have experience in starting ivs and administering iv therapy. I can insert catheters, I can do resp assessments, and various other things that ma's are not taught in school. My point is that you have to cease opportunity to grow and learn in any field to market and make your self stand out. Now I can honestly say that I know just as much as lpns and sometimes more because of the broad experience I have and this has been said by lpns,rns and most importantly physicians that I've worked with. I graduated from ma school and accepted my first position at 11 an hr and this was in 09/98. I think that in any field, if you're open to learning and are surrounded by people who are eager to teach you can grow. Circumstances forced me to work as a ma longer than planned but I made the best of it to help prepare me for nursing school. I just wanted to comment that every position is needed and helpful in healthcare. Cna ,mas, and lpns shouldn't be put down for their positions. All of those positions are needed and its sad to hear or read the disrespect. I've heard drs talk to rns like crap and to hear the rn turn around and talk to the pct or cna or ma like crap. Respect is key.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

DEBORAH in Columbia, South Carolina

72 months ago

NOT TO PUT YOU DOWN OR TAKE AWAY FROM YOUR EXPERIENCE, AND I COMMEND YOU FOR YOU MOTIVATION IN CONTINUING TO LEARN NEW SKILLS. BUT DID YOU SAY YOU COULD START IV'S???? AS A MA???? WHAT STATE DO YOU LIVE IN??? HERE AND MOST EVERWHERE ELSE I KNOW OF THAT IS ILLEGAL FOR ANYONE BUT A LICENSED NURSE. YOU SAY YOU HAVE AS MUCH EXPIRIENCE AS AN LPN OR EVEN AN RN??? RESPECTFULLY, I DOUBT IT SERIOUSLY. I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN YOUR REPLY AS THIS SOUNDS VERY UNUSAL TO ME WITH THE LIST OF NURSING SKILL YOU SAY YOU HAVE LEARNED WITHOUT BEING LICENSED.......

72 months ago

TRY A FREE CEU...OR PAY FOR ONE...SHOULDN'T BE THAT EXPENSIVE...IN IV THERAPY.

72 months ago

at your age and going to lpn school....i would advise against it. poor pay and hard to find a decent job, especailly one good for 'old bones'...lpn's are the workhorse in most cases.

med ast about to become a rn

72 months ago

I reside in chicago illinois. I was trained on how to start ivs,respiratory assessment,chest physical therapy with percussion machine, nebulized treatments, insert and remove foley catheter, input/ output, reading ekgs for different rhythms through an extensive program at a highly respected hospital in chicago. I went to a school for med ast but after graduating I was employed by this hospital which trained their employees to do this and you had to complete these skills and pass every test to move on to the next and after successful completion you were officially hired. The iv therapy was done at a well known infertility office in downtown chicago where I worked as acoordinator giving injection teachings to pts undergoing clomid and or ivf cycles. Some of these pts were given immunoglobulin txs for rpl(recurrent preg loss). I started those ivs and monitored them. Yes, in chicago it was ok to do this as long as dr or nurse was present in office. I also assisted the physicians while performing oocyte retrievals, embryo transfers,hsgs,hsn, d&cs from mabs. I love learning and I enjoy working in the healthcare field so whatever someones willing to teach I listen,observe and learn. I was also taught how to check endo lining and follicle sizes on ultrasound machine. My pts have always liked me and the drs taught us whatever we were willing to learn and most of my pts didn't mind us learning on them. I know its a lot but this is all true. That's why I needed to go back to school to advance my career because the title limits my growth. I've gone as far as I can and have exceeded my learning as a ma. Im blessed to have worked with good drs and nurses that have encouraged and are supporting my decision to further my career.

Teresa in Lexington, Kentucky

72 months ago

Hey, I'm in about the same boat you are in. I'm 51 and an LPN, out of field 15 years, license lapsed. But I reinstated my license after trying to taking a correspondence refresher course from South Dakota State University. The course was tremendous BUT the 'local yocals' (the medical facilities) in this town would not hire me either as an employee (so that I could complete my clinical portion of the refresher course and stay as an employee). So I lost the money I paid and did not get anywhere. In addition to this my State Board of Nursing was no help, nor was the LPN school I attended. NO SUPPORT!!!! But I did go back to the Board of Nursing and they told me all I had to do to reinstate was take 120 CEU hours, make an application, pay a fee and I'd have my license back. They could have told me that in the first place. But I did look forward to taking the refresher course. I just didn't know what I was up against. So where do you go, what do you do? I got fed up and did go back to school-into the RN program. But I can't get past the idiotic 'college algebra' course-that I feel is totally unrelated to nursing math-to get into the RN program. And although I am a licensed LPN and have all other general education courses completed-I could not get accepted to the RN program at one of the locals community colleges. I've also got Nurse Aide, IV Therapy and Phlebotomy training under my belt and I've already taken Nursing 2 (of 6 Nursing courses). But since I've been out of the field for about 15 years-the idiots around here think that I'm totally ignorant and have lost all the knowledge that I once had. HA HA HA-NOT QUITE!!!! All this is so ASININE and IDIOTIC!!!! BUT they are not going to defeat me. I'm here for a reason and a purpose. I have a right to be hear....And God willing I will prevail!!! Hang in there yourself!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Margo Harris in Nashville, Tennessee

72 months ago

Teresa in Kentucky**** I am new to this forum. I have only posted one time. It was in reference to misdemeanors on my record. I do believe YOURS is first response , or at least seems to be, with regards and/or related to my comment. I would like to clarify if you were directing that to me. I would also like to say , if so, THANK YOU so much!!!! It appears to be first one I have noticed on here. All other comments , so far, have been on school and on line program advice. I was beginning to think that this forum had no individuals with the compassion to share advice and/or a kind word of encouragement with regards to my personal situation. I have only noticed , thus far , questions and comments about school preferences and fears relating to on line programs. I would just like to take this oppurtunity to state, the education fears are NOTHING to having your career adversely and wrongly affected by deceit and slander outside of your nursing record. It saddens me more that only one nurse has replied to my response. This only confirms my belief of the difficulty I face with regards to employment. If I can not find human compassion,care, sympathy, encouragement, advice, etc. from fellow nurses, I dont't expect to receive very much the same from prospective employers. I remember the main reason I chose nursing as a profession years ago. It was to make a difference in the lives of those medically incapacitated. Physical and mental well being very much affect eachother. In my opinion I should first have the desire to reflect these compassionate qualities before learning the professional etiquette suggestions. I also feel no amount of knowledge and /or education eliminates what I have previously stated is needed. Without the compassion of caring for the individuals personal feelings, you ultimately fail at the "heart" of nursing. It is obvious to me this is evident in many facilities especially LTC. I would like to say THANKS Teresa for your compassionate heart. Margo Harri

dee-dee in Brooklyn, New York

72 months ago

first, I appreciated all medical profession because if we don't do it who will as for me I'm having a diffcult time decide want to in the medical field let me start out by telling the path i'm going down first I am a home health aide then a nursing assistant then went into medical assistance. I love taking care of people as you can see but the problem is the only job I got was a home health aide because when I was a nursing assisting I couldn't find a job and now I recent graduate from a MA program and find a job because their want you to have less one year of experience. this is where I need a advise I dont know if I should go into lpn or rn. thank you for your time I really appreciated it

DOK in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

71 months ago

Itismecocoa in Tampa, Florida said: I work fulltime LPN 19.75 Mon thru Fri with benefits and I just got hired agency 20 dollars an hour. All my friends are nurses and some make more. I've been a nurse only two months but I know the routine. I have the same nursing home patients so I learned quickly. Tampa Flo. LPN's have always gotten paid like this. You guys are looking in the wrong places. I'm not understanding.
I Am A new LPN in Tampa area, I'm having no luck finding a job they keep saying I have no experience

Linda Troiano LPN II in Grove City, Ohio

71 months ago

I am an LPN with 14 years hospital experience, 8 years of them traveling all over the USA. I have an impressive resume for an LPN, including ENT ICU at the Cleveland Clinic, Advanced Neuro Trauma,SICU and Float Pool assignments at various level one trauma hospitals. I am currently looking for a TRAVEL ASSIGNMENT in Columbus, Ohio....if anyone knows of a company offering such, PLEASE let me know! ASAP. Thanks Linda Troiano (linda_troiano@hotmail.com)

jake in Riverhead, New York

69 months ago

Cathy said: I have an Associate Degree as an MA and jobs where I live as far as clinics and doctors offices prefer MA's, Most LPNs only have a Diploma and work in Nursing homes with Cna's wipeing Booty behind Lazy Cna's, Where as I am Manager over my Clinic because of my degree status & I make 16 dollars an hour plus medical benefits and a 401K, Great Benefits!! I Love doing MA work, I wouldn't wana be a LPN Or RN because its too stressful for their money and my salary and duties are AWESOME for what I do, I see people on a walk in and out basis, My jobs not stressful, That's why theirs a shortage of RN's, because its too stressful...I Love being a Medical Assistant!!!!

------- I DONT THINK I BELIEVE THIS POSTERRRRRRRRR!!! BS BS BS!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

deborah in Columbia, South Carolina

69 months ago

so you're saying medical assistants are more valued and have better jobs and pay than even lpn's??????

tommy in Fitchburg, Massachusetts

69 months ago

Tommy here id love to do the lpn coure here its 10 months long, my question is whats the real pay for an lpn.My next question are online courses(bridge lpn-RN courses as great as people say they are ?thanks so much everyone.......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Thersa in Tampa, Florida

69 months ago

Itismecocoa in Tampa, Florida said: I work fulltime LPN 19.75 Mon thru Fri with benefits and I just got hired agency 20 dollars an hour. All my friends are nurses and some make more. I've been a nurse only two months but I know the routine. I have the same nursing home patients so I learned quickly. Tampa Flo. LPN's have always gotten paid like this. You guys are looking in the wrong places. I'm not understanding.

I'm in Tampa, Fl. How did you find these jobs??? I'm a LPN and having trouble finding any job. They all want more experience.

sorry

69 months ago

I see pay rates for all states except for Georgia. I know that Georgia have LPN's so what is rhe base pay rate for the southwest part of Georgia like Marietta,Norcross,Stone Mountain and ATL?

usyankee in Hamden, Connecticut

69 months ago

STEFANIE L. SILVA, LPN said: I would think also phlebotomy courses and IV certification, don't you? You are lucky, down south seems the place to be/go pay wise and employment opportunities, there sure isn't much in the Northeast!.Bravo and good for you!!!

I dunno. In Jacksonville, NC the pay rate for me (at the time 17 years experience) was 17.50-18.00) At a pysch hospital it was $14.50 and you got beat up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nurse Candi in chatsworth, Georgia

69 months ago

Keep your head up. you will fing the job that is just for you... Good Luck with boards.

Nurse Candi in chatsworth, Georgia

69 months ago

Linda Troiano LPN II in Grove City, Ohio said: I am an LPN with 14 years hospital experience, 8 years of them traveling all over the USA. I have an impressive resume for an LPN, including ENT ICU at the Cleveland Clinic, Advanced Neuro Trauma,SICU and Float Pool assignments at various level one trauma hospitals. I am currently looking for a TRAVEL ASSIGNMENT in Columbus, Ohio....if anyone knows of a company offering such, PLEASE let me know! ASAP. Thanks Linda Troiano (linda_troiano@hotmail.com)

Look on www.travelnursehub.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Redmond, Washington

69 months ago

About 187 travel nursing assignments in Columbus, Ohio. Check 'em out:

my-nursing-career.com/nursing-jobs/?what=travel+nurse&where=columbus%2C+ohio

69 months ago

susan in Oxford, New York said: Hi Samantha - do know the name(s) of the programs in Ohio to do the LPN-RN online?

Thank you -

The great, great aspect of online LPN to RN programs is that students from all 50 states can attend and graduate online. As an LPN you've done most of your clinicals already.

With the following online LPN to RN program, you complete you academic portion 100% online, and your clinical portion locally. And there are PLENTY of clinical opportunities available in every city.

Find out more about LPN to RN opportunities from this article: my-nursing-career.com/nursing-school/lpn-career-outlook/

Or, get information here: www.my-nursing-career.com/lpn-to-rn.php

sorry

69 months ago

jake in Riverhead, New York said: ------- I DONT THINK I BELIEVE THIS POSTERRRRRRRRR!!! BS BS BS!!!

Dear Jake,
I feel sorry for you and your attitude and your pay sucks for a MA in NY. When I left the DOH working a clinic back in 1985 I was making 13.00 per hour and that was without a degree . In case you doubt what I am saying try looking up Public Health Assistant that was my title. I did go to school VEEB in Nassau County and did the LPN course.I am very happy and proud to be an LPN and work with many others that is proud to carry that title as well. I know that my job is stable and can work 24-7 no matter what state I live in. I also don't have to worry about the weather because bad weather will never close the doors of a hospital or nursing home.Working in a clinic yes the weather will make a difference in whether the clinic is going to open for that day or stay open for the full day.

Linda Troiano LPN II in Grove City, Ohio

69 months ago

Thanks for the info/link....however there is nothing! I have called 15+ travel nurse compaines and none of them have ANY LPN positions, unless you would like to go to Montana, Kansas, Alaska or Hawaii(for 12.00/hr) I've been there, it's not as fabulous as it really sounds. I am looking for Columbus, Ohio or Gulf Coast of Florida (Clearwater to Sarasota or Naples). If any one hears or knows of any assignments, please let me know ASAP! THANKS Linda

69 months ago

I've been working a web site for nurses.

I put up a 10 part series on becoming a nurse. Please check it out, and let me know what you think: my-nursing-career.com/become-a-nurse/

I'm also working on a series about nursing specialties. I have 100+ specialties so far. Also, would love to know what you think: my-nursing-career.com/nursing-jobs/nursing-specialties/

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.