Starting out as a LPN

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 485)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

Linda Troiano LPN II in Grove City, Ohio

68 months ago

Thanks for the info/link....however there is nothing! I have called 15+ travel nurse compaines and none of them have ANY LPN positions, unless you would like to go to Montana, Kansas, Alaska or Hawaii(for 12.00/hr) I've been there, it's not as fabulous as it really sounds. I am looking for Columbus, Ohio or Gulf Coast of Florida (Clearwater to Sarasota or Naples). If any one hears or knows of any assignments, please let me know ASAP! THANKS Linda

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Redmond, Washington

68 months ago

I've been working a web site for nurses.

I put up a 10 part series on becoming a nurse. Please check it out, and let me know what you think: my-nursing-career.com/become-a-nurse/

I'm also working on a series about nursing specialties. I have 100+ specialties so far. Also, would love to know what you think: my-nursing-career.com/nursing-jobs/nursing-specialties/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ann in Madison Heights, Michigan

67 months ago

Sandi Correia LPN in Hollywood, Florida said: Anna,
Go for your RN anyway. but in Florida LPNs are NOT being fazed out as a matter of a fact, more hospitals are going back to hiring LPNs. Especially here in South Florida.
But in the meantime, apply for a hospital position if you can, take anything they will offer you, even nights...if that does not pan out apply at a Nursing Home/Rehab hospital...they are more skilled now that the insurance companies are forcing hospitals to release patients sicker..and less able to be alone...they are not the "old people's home" that they were 20 yrs ago.
Also, consider prison nursing...I know...you are thinking that is something you could not do...I did it...and actually it gives the LPN alot more autonomy than any other place and you see alot of different illnesses...
Do not worry, there are alot of jobs out there.

Hello, I am a new grad LPN working on med surg floor in the hospital in MI. You mentioned about South Florida. This is where I am planning to moove as soon as possible. Could You tell me what hospitals are still hiring LPN's in FL? And where did you take your LPN boards cause I would have to take it over and get licensed in Florida. Thanks in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sandi in Hollywood, Florida

65 months ago

Cathy said: I have an Associate Degree as an MA and jobs where I live as far as clinics and doctors offices prefer MA's, Most LPNs only have a Diploma and work in Nursing homes with Cna's wipeing Booty behind Lazy Cna's, Where as I am Manager over my Clinic because of my degree status & I make 16 dollars an hour plus medical benefits and a 401K, Great Benefits!! I Love doing MA work, I wouldn't wana be a LPN Or RN because its too stressful for their money and my salary and duties are AWESOME for what I do, I see people on a walk in and out basis, My jobs not stressful, That's why theirs a shortage of RN's, because its too stressful...I Love being a Medical Assistant!!!!

LOL, you are GLAD, you are only making 16.00 an hr?...and you have a "degree"?? you should ask for your money back...lol...
I no longer work, because I do not have to, but I keep my LPN license...the last time I worked, was 4 years ago, and then, as an LPN I was making 24.00 hr. In a rehab hospital ( LTC facility).
And do not tell lies, LPN's in LTC are almost always the charge nurse on the floor...we also give meds, do the charting, take physican orders, send patients to the ER and hospital when they need to go, perform CPR, start IV's, perform treatments and dressings, perform daily, weekly and monthly evaluations...perform discharge planning as well as patient care plans...and more...
MA's could not, and do not perform these functions, you simply are not trained for it.
And in most states MA's do not have a state license, you merely have your school certifications...you practice under the doctors license, we practice under our own.
You, want to be a nurse...but you simply are not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

KRISTAL in Detroit, Michigan

65 months ago

I am a LPN graduate waiting to take my boards I really want to work as a nurse grad to gain experience and feel more comfortable before I pass the NCLEX do anyone know of any facilities hiring graduate LPN,s?

KRISTAL in Detroit, Michigan

65 months ago

sandi in Hollywood, Florida said: LOL, you are GLAD, you are only making 16.00 an hr?...and you have a "degree"?? you should ask for your money back...lol...
I no longer work, because I do not have to, but I keep my LPN license...the last time I worked, was 4 years ago, and then, as an LPN I was making 24.00 hr. In a rehab hospital ( LTC facility).
And do not tell lies, LPN's in LTC are almost always the charge nurse on the floor...we also give meds, do the charting, take physican orders, send patients to the ER and hospital when they need to go, perform CPR, start IV's, perform treatments and dressings, perform daily, weekly and monthly evaluations...perform discharge planning as well as patient care plans...and more...
MA's could not, and do not perform these functions, you simply are not trained for it.
And in most states MA's do not have a state license, you merely have your school certifications...you practice under the doctors license, we practice under our own.

She obviously have no idea what she is talking about no offense to MA but LPN,s have way more responsibility and, get paid much more but Im happy for her 16.00hr job good for her lol.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

imjustsaying,, in De Witt, Iowa

63 months ago

practical nursing has got me by but it is a dead-end "career". here in iowa/illinois if you don't go back right away to get your rn you have to start from scratch and take about 90% over. pray you never get burn out because you are stuck with a low-status job...the rn's will never let you forget it. you may get by...i did but around here there are less and less jobs for lpns so forget about lateral moves.don't think i can even move downward, wherever that may be. i wish i'd have gone into something else. do yourself a favor...don't be an lpn unless you're okay with being considered a bottem feeder. the new young nurses have the worst attitudes toward us. the rns i started out with are and were more respectful. please, i know there are those of you who are happy with your jobs, positions and i am thrilled for you...but i want those considering getting your lpn to think long and hard. go into respiratory therapy....you can even make more as a certified r.t. my friend makes at least ten dollars more than me at almost $18/hr with many yrs of nursing and she, with more than half of my years.

simplydis in Miami, Florida

62 months ago

sandi in Hollywood, Florida said: I went to Sheridan Voc-Tech in Hollywood...there are also McFatter Voc-Tech in Davie and Atlantic voc-tech in Fort Lauderdale. There is Lindsey Hopkins, Mercy Hospital LPN program, and Miami Dade Comm. college LPN programs in Miami.

Good luck! Go get your LPN and then get into one of the local ( BCC or Miami Dade) LPN to Rn Transition programs, they are only one more year after the LPN program and you will be an RN while making LPN pay while training.

Its going to take more than a year to complete the RN transition program if your not attending school full time.

skyandwater in Rougemont, North Carolina

62 months ago

MY ADVISE!!!!!! do not go through an LPN program!!!!! devote your time to the rn program. trust me, life will flow more smoothly and you won't get caught up in working for nothing and stressing out big time....just get the rn degree and forget the lpn thing. trust me, you will be happier, much happier...and alot of lpn's are having trouble getting jjobs outside of LTC....ugh

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

SVHawkmom in Southern Indiana, Indiana

62 months ago

Cathy said: I have an Associate Degree as an MA and jobs where I live as far as clinics and doctors offices prefer MA's, Most LPNs only have a Diploma and work in Nursing homes with Cna's wipeing Booty behind Lazy Cna's, Where as I am Manager over my Clinic because of my degree status & I make 16 dollars an hour plus medical benefits and a 401K, Great Benefits!! I Love doing MA work, I wouldn't wana be a LPN Or RN because its too stressful for their money and my salary and duties are AWESOME for what I do, I see people on a walk in and out basis, My jobs not stressful, That's why theirs a shortage of RN's, because its too stressful...I Love being a Medical Assistant!!!!

How incredibly RUDE!!! Spoken like someone who has never worked a "true" job. It's people like you who make me proud of who I am. How dare you think "wiping booty" is beneath you. This is exactly why I became a nurse, too many people, like you, are worried about the money and forget the real reason for becoming nurses. I would love to see what happens to you when you are older and in need for some compassion and "booty wiping". You have made me very proud of myself, thanks for the pick me up!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

SVHawkmom in Southern Indiana, Indiana

62 months ago

I still can't get over this one, Cathy you are a true piece of work!!!! Hilarious!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

XXX in Jersey City, New Jersey

62 months ago

yes , quite the f%%king idiot isnt she!! what a joke

Kat in Arlington, Texas

62 months ago

simplydis in Miami, Florida said: Its going to take more than a year to complete the RN transition program if your not attending school full time.

Not really.... As long as you have prerequisites done, many colleges are only 3-4 quarters attending class/clinical a few days a week.

spirit in Essex, Maryland

61 months ago

sandi in Hollywood, Florida said: LOL, you are GLAD, you are only making 16.00 an hr?...and you have a "degree"?? you should ask for your money back...lol...

Well here in maryland you do have to get a state license after you finish school for MA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sorry

61 months ago

spirit in Essex, Maryland said: Well here in maryland you do have to get a state license after you finish school for MA

Good Morning Spirit,
We are neighbors of Essex,MD. Maryland is a very strict state with they medical field. Most states the MA do not do as much as they say they do. Just like in most states LPN functions are different meaning in two states LPN'S can do dialysis. So people should be careful in what they write in this forum because everything does not apply to all states.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

skyandwater in Cary, North Carolina

61 months ago

not in n.c. don't know why this site says cary n.c. in s.c.
in need of some advice and direction. am tryig to get certifications for LPN's and ceus'. am having trouble finding where i can get a certification in some things. the lpn national site offered iv therapy for 500 bucks. i wouldn't mind paying for something more all incluseive.
does anyone have any suggestions on where to go for good ceu's online or certifications for lpns?
any advice or direction would be most helpful.
thanks

skyandwater in Cary, North Carolina

61 months ago

why don't you check and see what your scope of practice is as an ma when you get licensed and then tell we nurses exactly what you can and cannot do.
i would be interested in knowing.

Nadege in Miami, Florida

61 months ago

DOK in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: I Am A new LPN in Tampa area, I'm having no luck finding a job they keep saying I have no experience

Are u serious? how you can get experience if they do not give you a chance to start....

msklp in Beachwood, Ohio

61 months ago

Nadege in Miami, Florida said: Are u serious? how you can get experience if they do not give you a chance to start....

I am going through the same thing here in cleveland ohio as a new LPN licensee, and for every job that I apply for a test is given with the application is that the norm?

Brenda in Pompano Beach, Florida

60 months ago

Sandi Correia LPN in Hollywood, Florida said: Anna,
Go for your RN anyway. but in Florida LPNs are NOT being fazed out as a matter of a fact, more hospitals are going back to hiring LPNs. Especially here in South Florida.
But in the meantime, apply for a hospital position if you can, take anything they will offer you, even nights...if that does not pan out apply at a Nursing Home/Rehab hospital...they are more skilled now that the insurance companies are forcing hospitals to release patients sicker..and less able to be alone...they are not the "old people's home" that they were 20 yrs ago.
Also, consider prison nursing...I know...you are thinking that is something you could not do...I did it...and actually it gives the LPN alot more autonomy than any other place and you see alot of different illnesses...
Do not worry, there are alot of jobs out there.

I was wondering if you could please help me. I am interested in being a LPN but cannot find a school in the South Florida area, Ft Lauderdale is where I'm looking. I see a lot of RN schools, but no LPN.

scott in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

60 months ago

sandi in Hollywood, Florida said: I went to Sheridan Voc-Tech in Hollywood...there are also McFatter Voc-Tech in Davie and Atlantic voc-tech in Fort Lauderdale. There is Lindsey Hopkins, Mercy Hospital LPN program, and Miami Dade Comm. college LPN programs in Miami.

Good luck! Go get your LPN and then get into one of the local ( BCC or Miami Dade) LPN to Rn Transition programs, they are only one more year after the LPN program and you will be an RN while making LPN pay while training.

how much does the lpn course cost?

sisterlistener in Moorestown, New Jersey

60 months ago

I can't get a job. The economy is so bad for this right now. I took my boards four months after I graduated because I had to save up with my CNA pay to take them. I am now a licensed LPN and no one will hire me. I am event trying agencies. Some of the women in my class took IV certs and blood draw classes. I think everyone I graduated with has a job now. But they all took their boards earlier than I did. So I keep looking. Thanks for letting me vent.

Oskar in Bogotá, Colombia

60 months ago

Hi. When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.
I am from Mongolia and know bad English, give please true I wrote the following sentence: "Commitments can directly begin studies for exponential possible government, or investor entities to the crisis for order in the currency stock."

Thank :D Oskar.

Solange in Larnaca, Cyprus

60 months ago

Hello. I stand in awe of my body. Help me! I find sites on the topic: Iii cosmetics spread with strength and share.. I found only this - [URL=www.mulherecidadania.al.gov.br/Members/Elfcosmetics/beauty-cosmetics-india-yellow-pages]beauty cosmetics india yellow pages[/URL]. Bad 26 singer, natasha. Now one hundred of an utilised five to eight hundred ethical partners sell. :-( Thanks in advance. Solange from Barbuda.

Eddie in Miami, Florida

60 months ago

MA's always like to yack about how clinics and doctors office's are phasing out LPN's. Well MA's are not taking over LTC (thank God). LPN's do more than "wipe booty" and CNA's are not "lazy". Your arrogance towards other healthcare workers is telling.

Incidentally, colleges do not have MA-RN bridge programs. MA credits aren't even accepted to those who want to continue their education instead of spending the rest of their lives working as MA's.

Should you or someone you love reach a stage in life when they need to have their "booty" wiped, may God send them someone more compassionate to do so than you seem to be.

bqualitychoice in Jacksonville, Florida

60 months ago

Jonnetta in Jacksonville, Florida said: Hello ladies,
I have been a MA for 15 years, yes the more experience the better the pay, But MA are given false hope when attending that expensive school! But I have worked in the hospital for 12 years and they terminated over 1/2 of their LPN positions. they had to take PCA positions or retire. RN is the way to go.

In reference to the MA's, Yes they are given false hope as to what they are going to make when attending that expensive school, MA's are great, understand that, but they are highly under paid, I have been a MA for 18 years, but I have notn worked as one for about 13, I make double what a MA in my office make, being a surgical coordinator. There are not a lot of LPN schools in Jax, 2 to be exact, 1 over priced and the other overcrowed. However in weighing it, I still make more than LPN's at the hospital that I work for. A couple of years ago they took the LPN's out of the clinics and replaced them with MA's, or thet had to retire, So. Reality LPN's are utilized but not as much as the MA.

60 months ago

skyandwater in Cary, North Carolina said: why don't you check and see what your scope of practice is as an ma when you get licensed and then tell we nurses exactly what you can and cannot do.
i would be interested in knowing.

I think it is horrible to be little the MA, they work just as hard as an LPN. LPN's in our clinic, and MA's do the same thing, and that LPN still make less than I do as a surgical coordinator! Now who can do what?!!!!! you see experience and your work speak for it self. Mind you, I am certified MA, But I do not hold that title in my office, By choice, Know why? Because I am great at my job, and my pay shows it! Have some compassion for the MA, they picked what they wnted to go to school for just as an LPN, They will grow in time, but they are just as proud. Everyone has feelings.

60 months ago

scott in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: how much does the lpn course cost?

In jax a little under $6000.00

60 months ago

Nadege in Miami, Florida said: Are u serious? how you can get experience if they do not give you a chance to start....

Try nursing homes they always give you a chance.

60 months ago

Is it possible to get a job at a nursing home while attending school for an LPN degree? I will be starting school in January and would like to get a head start if possible.

60 months ago

Is it possible to get a job at a nursing home while attending school for an LPN degree? I will be starting school in January and would like to get a head start if possible. Also, does anyone know how baddly the background check will affect acceptance into nursing school?

60 months ago

Thank you

janezen123 in Dalton, Georgia

60 months ago

I did not read you inital question/comment, but I too am having EXTREME difficulties in obtaining a nursing job as well due to ONE MISDEMEANOR on my record, it is not nursing related and the TENN BOARD OF NSG has no problem with it, my license is current and valid but I am unable to work. I have been in healthcare for all of my adult life, over 25 years the last nearly 13 as an LPN. and for me it is not a job but a "calling" a vocation. yet my healing touch during a time of SO CALLED "NURSING SHORTAGES" goes untapped and I suffer emotionally and financially because of it and a crappy system of "guilty until proven innocent" and my fear and inability to fight for my innocence, settling for a misdemeanor to protect the very nursing career I am now forced to no longer be a part of!! so I am sympathetic to your cause and anyone out there with advice, or counsel, or direction for me to go to gain employment so I can get my life, my career, my SOUL back on track not just for me, my family, but for all those patients and lives I am prohibited from the benefit of my knowledge, skill and compassion.....THANK YOU!!!!!

sorry

60 months ago

janezen123 in Dalton, Georgia said: I did not read you inital question/comment, but I too am having EXTREME difficulties in obtaining a nursing job as well due to ONE MISDEMEANOR on my record, it is not nursing related and the TENN BOARD OF NSG has no problem with it, my license is current and valid but I am unable to work. I have been in healthcare for all of my adult life, over 25 years the last nearly 13 as an LPN. and for me it is not a job but a "calling" a vocation. yet my healing touch during a time of SO CALLED "NURSING SHORTAGES" goes untapped and I suffer emotionally and financially because of it and a crappy system of "guilty until proven innocent" and my fear and inability to fight for my innocence, settling for a misdemeanor to protect the very nursing career I am now forced to no longer be a part of!! so I am sympathetic to your cause and anyone out there with advice, or counsel, or direction for me to go to gain employment so I can get my life, my career, my SOUL back on track not just for me, my family, but for all those patients and lives I am prohibited from the benefit of my knowledge, skill and compassion.....THANK YOU!!!!!

I am a little confused by your letter. First if the Tenn.BON have no holds on your license then what is the problem about not being able to work.Second,I notice that on your email it had Dalton,Ga are you trying to get a license in Ga.and that's where your problem is at? It's not enough information.Last, you state that you are prohibited from working if it's not through the BON then who is stopping you?

sorry

60 months ago

reba ky in Erlanger, Kentucky said: I am in the Cincinnati area. I am looking into Galen school of nursing. They are telling me that if I am willing to go M-F for 12 months I can be done with my RN. Compared to the other schools that are going to drag it out for two more years even though I have my LPN already that sounds good. The draw back is I would have to work weekend doubles to stay full time at work. This sounds daunting but is it worth being done a year sooner? Has anyone else ever been through Galens program?

I know that it is too late to answer your question but I to am planning togo to that same school.Hopefully by now you have finished the program HOW WAS IT?

janezen123 in Dalton, Georgia

59 months ago

at the present time I am searching for work in the chattanooga, TN area and dalton is convienent as a "base of operations" to search from as it is very close to the chattanooga/cleveland, TN area. And yes the TN-BON has no problem with me continueing to hold a license, but evidently I can not obtain work. EVERY job opportunity, opening, want ad, ect. I have applied to and interviewed for at first go splendidly. They even go as far as drug test me and give me a schedule until BAM the background check comes back showing my ONE misdemeanor and then the offer of employment is withdrawn. One place went as far as tell me that they would love to hire me in 5 years or sooner as soon as the charge drops off my record. So I was hoping someone out there knew of a company that would hire at least on a case by case basis a nurse with good nursing history like me but has a single misdemeanor charge on her record that is NOT related in anyway to nursing or a nursing job.

sorry

59 months ago

Depending on your misdemeanor you will have to just wait until it's over. I have worked with nurses who has had misdemeanor's charges even drug charges but again the charges was not a threat as far as they work was concerned. The one with the drug problem had to go through a substance abuse program and drug test ever so often. I wish you the best of luck. Maybe try going back to school for your RN and just keep applying for LPN"s jobs.

LAROCCAML in Hollywood, Florida

59 months ago

I live in the US but want to relocate to Canada with my family.
I am about to start the LPN program, but have a concern.
I can either do my LPN and then do the bridge to Rn which is one year more, or, do the classic RN which takes two years.
Now, If I will be applying for the Canadian skilled worker's program, which will I need to benefit the most?

Thanks

itscocoa in Tampa, Florida

59 months ago

It depends on your finannces. Are you ready to make money now after a year or after two years? I am an LPN right now I make between 900.00 and 1000.00 a week one week. Last week I grossed 1800.00 one week not biweekly because of overtime. That is enough for me honestly to live. I want for nothing. I have only been a nurse for one year and a half. I plan to take the RN in about two years. I'm gonna work and pay some bills, save some money. Build up some 401k and security for the next two years then when I turn 40 I will bridge the rN in One year. I also just was offered a position as unit manager on a skilled unit. It's not about how long. It's how well you do. I have been everywhere with agency Hospitals and nursing homes,IV certified and I'm a lot more knowledgeable then some that have been nurses for years. They have only been in one place. one job or two. That is the difference.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

LAROCCAML in Hollywood, Florida

59 months ago

itscocoa in Tampa, Florida said: It depends on your finannces. Are you ready to make money now after a year or after two years? I am an LPN right now I make between 900.00 and 1000.00 a week one week. Last week I grossed 1800.00 one week not biweekly because of overtime. That is enough for me honestly to live. I want for nothing. I have only been a nurse for one year and a half. I plan to take the RN in about two years. I'm gonna work and pay some bills, save some money. Build up some 401k and security for the next two years then when I turn 40 I will bridge the rN in One year. I also just was offered a position as unit manager on a skilled unit. It's not about how long. It's how well you do. I have been everywhere with agency Hospitals and nursing homes,IV certified and I'm a lot more knowledgeable then some that have been nurses for years. They have only been in one place. one job or two. That is the difference.

So, you have an agency then, right?
How difficult is it to get into an agency as a new LPN grad. I want to gain all the knowledge and experience that I can while a LPN and then bridge to the RN for an additional year of studies.
I'd like to know the process of getting hired by an agency and how it works.

Thanks for all the help and wise advice!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Linda Troiano LPN in Columbus, Ohio

59 months ago

I too, have tons of experience, as staff, traveler and management. NEVER limiting myself to "comfort" positions. What agency do you work for in the Tampa area? I am planning to re-locate to Bradenton this fall. I have worked in the Clearwater/St. Pete area as a traveler and have worked for a couple of different agencies....however I was there last fall and NO ONE had any work! No matter how much experience you had. Thanks for posting such a positive comment R/E LPNs... Linda Columbus, Ohio

US Yankee in Hamden, Connecticut

59 months ago

lisa in Glastonbury, Connecticut said: Pam, thank you so much for the information. I speak Italian, Spanish and English and throughout my career I have always used that to my advantage as far as pay. I am really glad that you gave me the information you did, I was trying hard no to be discouraged by quite a few of the comments on here. Do you knwo anything about the LPN-RN bridge courses? I eventually would like to be an RN but due to having a mortgage and a million other bills my schedule is so restricted to just giving up work. The LPN program in my area is 730am until 230 pm monday thru friday for the two years. I have called a lot of the nursing schools in my area to go th ern route but obtaining the pre reqs required is two years alone! Then an additional two years for the ADN to be an RN, does the formal education make a huge difference?

Lisa, have you tried Gateway in Hamden? They have evening and weekend courses, not just for prerequisites, but nursing as well.

To the nurse in Florida, how many hours did it take you to gross $1,800, because I know the pay in Florida/Louisiana is way lower than in the North.

skyandwater@msn.com in Graham, North Carolina

59 months ago

hello, i am not in n.c but the thing won't let me change it
i am from s.c. and it is not hard at all to GROSS 1800/month
it's fairly normal here. in fact, i know 23 rn grads who have been lpns for a long time,. got their rn, and then the facility wants to pay them less than what they were getting as an lpn because they don't have 'rn' expirience.
it is my personal opinion that the facilities are cutting back on staffing so that they want experienced nursed so they can be sure of patient care while stretching the nurse.
in fact, i was thinking of going for my rn, but at any age over 30, it seems a losing propsition right now.
i take home about 1300.00 a pay period.

59 months ago

Skyandwater, a pay period is every two weeks? Or twice a month?

Yes, I got hurt by them cutting back. In one evening I was the nurse on the rehab floor, an aid on the rehab floor, watching a dangerous fall risk (she had broken her arm and nose while in the hospital for something else), and then at 7 pm I was told I was going to be given another floor (25 more patients) in ADDITION to what I was already doing. I couldn't in my conscience leave the fall risk patient with the only CNA I had on the rehab floor, because she would have fallen on the floor while the aide was in the rooms doing pm care. So I dragged the med cart on the other floor--whose steering was difficult due to some problem with the sheels--pulling the med cart with my right hand, pulling the wheel chair with my other hand, all the way down the hall as I was passing meds. I was injured by an Alzheimer's patient a few months earlier, twisting my wrist digging his nails into me and not letting go until I got other staff assistance... so that just made it worse. Then a patient grabbed my wrist to pull herself up before I knew what she was doing and I felt a sharp pain. Then after I was done with meds and treatments and paperwork on that floor, I went back to the other floor and was assisting the CNA and my muscles were tired, my wrist probably reinjured by the med cart and the patient yanking on my wrist to pull herself up and I am sure initiated the weakness and sharp pain I got when I assisted the CNA causing me to lose my grasp, causing me to compensate by pulling with the rest of my body, injuring my back and popping a hernia. After I got injured, they would not take me back, not light duty (one week couldn't work, two weeks light duty) or when I was fully recovered. There may be a nursing shortage, but not for LPNs in this area. I am having a very difficult time getting a job. The few interviews I have had, I have not been hired. Blacklisting me has been a constant thought in my brain. Good luck!

59 months ago

I meant wheels--not sheels! lol

sorry

59 months ago

itscocoa in Tampa, Florida said: It depends on your finannces. Are you ready to make money now after a year or after two years? I am an LPN right now I make between 900.00 and 1000.00 a week one week. Last week I grossed 1800.00 one week not biweekly because of overtime. That is enough for me honestly to live. I want for nothing. I have only been a nurse for one year and a half. I plan to take the RN in about two years. I'm gonna work and pay some bills, save some money. Build up some 401k and security for the next two years then when I turn 40 I will bridge the rN in One year. I also just was offered a position as unit manager on a skilled unit. It's not about how long. It's how well you do. I have been everywhere with agency Hospitals and nursing homes,IV certified and I'm a lot more knowledgeable then some that have been nurses for years. They have only been in one place. one job or two. That is the difference.

Good Afternoon itscocoa in Tampa,
I was just visiting in the area this weekend and what a beautiful place Tampa is.It's so nice that I would like to relocate there soon. How is the pay for LPN with over 15 years of long term and skill exp.?What is a good place to work for there? and have you heard of Galen College there? Would appreciate all info that you can share with me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

Galen is a great school to go to. There are plenty of jobs. I would say go on craigslist, monsterjobs.com and career builder. there are more wesites. I just was looking. I just got hired at Kindred Hosp and I do Hospice c Agency. Salary varies between 18 and 23 for an LPN. But it also depends on yearsof experience. I am a new nurse. I have a year and seven months under my belt . I have one year hosp and one yeas longterm so I can get in anywhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

sorry

59 months ago

itscocoa in Tampa, Florida said: Galen is a great school to go to. There are plenty of jobs. I would say go on craigslist, monsterjobs.com and career builder. there are more wesites. I just was looking. I just got hired at Kindred Hosp and I do Hospice c Agency. Salary varies between 18 and 23 for an LPN. But it also depends on yearsof experience. I am a new nurse. I have a year and seven months under my belt . I have one year hosp and one yeas longterm so I can get in anywhere.

Thank You for the information I have years of exp. in long term care and skill units working in rehab/skill/nursing homes. The salary that you quoted is it for a new LPN or is it for experience LPN? The salary quoted is it for agency,hospital or nursing homes? Waiting for your response to help quide me towards my move to Tampa.

59 months ago

its a set salary. like ursing homes maybe 21 hosptals 23 something like that. they dont go by experience but you need at least one year. you get same day pay here if you want it with agencies which is convienient.

59 months ago

US Yankee in Hamden, Connecticut said: Lisa, have you tried Gateway in Hamden? They have evening and weekend courses, not just for prerequisites, but nursing as well.

To the nurse in Florida, how many hours did it take you to gross $1,800, because I know the pay in Florida/Louisiana is way lower than in the North.

I was only at a salary of 21.00 an hur but it was a lot of over time and holiday pay. I did two doubles back to back wich was at time and a alf and I worked the whole week . I think it was four more extra shifts plus. My eight hour shifts lasts one to two hours over with notes and extra stff. I got out late every night . So it added up more overtime. Probably another whole eight hours. Five shifts approx overtime. Sorry I just read your message.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.