certification vs associates

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana

55 months ago

What is the difference between a lpn with certification and a lpn with an assoc degree? The obvious is the degree I know, but with a certification and a license are you considered the same when it comes to employment? Ivy Tech College in Indiana offers both and with the cert you don't need micro and a few other classes. Plus you complete in 1 year vs 2. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sandy in Cottage Grove, Wisconsin

54 months ago

That's interesting! In Wisconsin as an LPN you go to school for 10 months vs. 19 months for your RN. It is not a certification for the LPN but a license for you to practice nursing in the state.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

KAT in Arlington, Texas

54 months ago

There is no difference in employment on whether you have an associate degree or certificate. An LPN is an LPN. It only might help you gain a few extra classes to bridge to RN.

Sheryl in Cambridge, Wisconsin

50 months ago

A nursing license is a license, not a certificate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

nurseandi in Coatesville, Pennsylvania

50 months ago

Here in Pennsylvania, an LPN is a diploma program (15 months/40 hours a week). My program certifies in IV therapy. LPN is not a degree program. I would think an LPN with an associates degree is a 2 year RN program.

KAT in Porter, Texas

50 months ago

nurseandi in Coatesville, Pennsylvania said: Here in Pennsylvania, an LPN is a diploma program (15 months/40 hours a week). My program certifies in IV therapy. LPN is not a degree program. I would think an LPN with an associates degree is a 2 year RN program.

LPN associate programs are not common, but they do exist and they are different than an RN program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

T.R in Buffalo, New York

50 months ago

...So with a license, it is possible to then use that toward college credit, as with an associates'?

nurseandi in Coatesville, Pennsylvania

50 months ago

There are a few colleges in my area so far that are participating in an articulation program with our school. We get a one year credit toward an ADN or BSN degree for completing the LPN program AND performing 1,000 hours of work as an LPN. Not all schools participate in an LPN articulation program, though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.