Where to go to take a LPN exam? I am a MA and want to challenge the test.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (551 to 570 of 570)
Page:  « First « Previous   9  10  11  12   

realmaninuniform in New London, Ohio

25 months ago

Here in OH, you can become a CMA in 3 months or less, part-time. LPN's are not being "phased out", that's a false rumor that has been circulating for 25+ years. I got my license on a Thursday, and began training as a nurse (by RN's) the next day. There are plenty of jobs out there, but you may actually have to WORK to get and keep them.

It's not always pretty, the hours suck, and the pay is never enough. I've seen alot of people I LOVED, die. If you're in it for the money or a quick career, you're in the wrong field. It's not a 9-5. It's a 24/7.

And to those of you out there that believe a LPN isn't a real nurse, I challenge you to take my patient load for 8 hours, and this extends to EMT's and MA's. Again, I'm not knocking anyone, I just want to clear some of the smoke. I administer meds on a daily basis that have the capability to kill someone, meds that are cytotoxic, dangerous and/or controlled substances, and the list goes on and on. Not to mention I can start IV's, give NTG, perform CPR, and administer O2. EMT's and MA's in my state collectively, do not have those qualifications.

So to to answer the age old question: "Can an MA challenge the LPN exam?" NO. Even if your state allows it, you will NEVER pass the National Council Licensure Exam (NCLEX), without a significant schooling in nursing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mary in Radcliff, Kentucky

25 months ago

I was an army trained pratical nurse but did not have to be licensed in the 80's. when I left the service my husband and I were in Germany. I was told I had to take the test within one year and was unable as we were still overseas. I have been working years as a medical coder, but wonder if I would be able to take the test for LPN in Kentucky where we now reside.Does anyone know if this would be possible, or do I have to go back and retake all my classes. I also have a BA in Psychology.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Cheri in Niceville, Florida

24 months ago

Lisa said: I just don't understand why an MA thinks they could be a safe/efficient LPN without going through a nursing program... I'm not degrading MA's. Does an MA know how to keep a sterile area (like a catheter or dressing change)... I would not be a happy patient knowing that my nurse never went through a nursing program... Sorry if I stepped on any toes, but I know I'm not the only one thinking this...

Well I am a MA and yes I know how to change sterile dressings, and straight cath , and start IV's
Keep sterile area so yes to your question. While in my MA program Iearned just as much as a LPN
And I know i can do a great job as a Lpn. Well Educated. Sign MA in Fl.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Stephanie Blum in Phoenix, Arizona

24 months ago

Tami Williams in West Orange, New Jersey said: I too wish to challange the LPN /RN boards?I have been a Senior Medcial Assistant for 23 years, along with a host of executive positions, including Director of a technical school
Where do I get the information?

I have been a LPN for 15 years and I hold dual licensing in several states and as far as I know there no longer is any test to challenge the board. I know that perhaps 5-10 years ago you used to be able to do that but the board has buckled down on requirements and that is no longer permitted.(to many law-suits). However I know that in several states there is an excellerated class, for instance in Phoenix you are able to get your LPN in 9 months in the excellerated program, which personally being a LPN I think is too fast, but I guess if you've been in the business perhaps say a MA or Tech then it might be okay. I know it's hard but truly the right thing to do is go back to school and get the training, I am 47 and I am back in school to get my RN, it's hard but I am tired of people questioning what I know based on what initials follow my name. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kentomic in Colorado Springs, Colorado

24 months ago

Dee Thornton in Santa Ana, California said: Good Morning all,
Maybe you can help me. I am a Medical Assistant and I was told by my teacher that I could challenge the test and become a LPN. Is this true? If so, where do I go. I live in Newport News, VA.

In 2000 my mom graduated with her MA and while she was on her extern for it she took her LPN exam.... my mom has now been an LPN for 12 yrs, very happily. I am now gettin ready to do the same. (Colorado)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cubbaz in Murrieta, California

24 months ago

mxxmaker in Brooklyn, Michigan said: I am glad I don't live in California to receive care from so-called "nurses" like you are trying to pass yourself off to be. A nurse goes to school and completes a program! You are not a nurse unless you do that!

There are a lot of LVNs that completed a program and still don't know what they are doing! It depends on the individual! MAs are just as competent.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Cubbaz in Murrieta, California

24 months ago

Jody in Waunakee, Wisconsin said: An MA CANNOT challenge the LPN state boards as an MA is not a nurse, so therefore has no nursing training. An RN student who has completed the first year of training can challenge the LPN state boards. CNA 's cannot challenge either, as, even with years of experience and an important member of the team, are not nurses. If you are an LPN and want to become an RN, here in Wisconsin, you really just need to apply for the advanced standing in the 2 year associate degree program, so will only need to go to school for the second year. I do believe LPN's should be able to challenge to RN board without the second year of education , as so many LPN's do the exact same thing as RN's, and both are nurses, after all. I was an LPN, completed the last 10 months of RN training, passed the boards, and am now an RN. I truthfully could have tested out of every class do to my work as a hospital nurse for 5 years. I completed the 10 months with a 4.0 GPA.

I think if you would have started out as an MA you would not be so quick to judge. An MA and LVN are almost equal. I work with them all day long and see them asking the MA what they should do!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Susan in Mount Vernon, Washington

11 months ago

It seems like this is all apples and oranges and the MA's are missing the point. An MA is not the same thing as an LPN. An LPN and an RN are more similar because they are both nurses..i.e. the critical thinking skills, assessment, etc. I keep seeing comments like "an LPN/RN had to ask an MA what to do" or "I do the same work as an LPN/ RN so I should be one too even though I haven't gone to school"...lol. A paramedic and an RN aren't the same thing, for that matter...different animals, different focus in the education and clinical training. The comments here I am seeing from MA's is typically "I do the same tasks as an LPN/RN so I should be able to do a challenge exam, I know as much as an LPN/ /RN." YOU ARE MISSING THE POINT. A few nurses have made the point- the education is quite different. The focus is quite different. A doctor's education is diagnostic. A PA's education is diagnostic in focus. A nurse's education is patient care, critical thinking, assessment. An MA's education is more about tasks and assisting the doctor. A Hospice nurse said this to me once, when I was a brand new nurse and afraid of some of the "tasks"...."a trained monkey could do these tasks! What makes a good nurse is the ability to assess a patient." And that is the piece that MA's are missing. An MA may do a bang-up job of performing technical tasks. Doctors may even have them (illegally) doing phone triage and medication administration. But they're not nurses. They can be fantastic at their jobs, but they're not nurses. Just like nurses aren't paramedics. Or doctors. Or respiratory therapists. Or physical therapists. There is a place for all these specialties in medicine. But when we start cutting corners and assuming we know as much as nurses do because we do some of the same very basic technical tasks... that's just wrong. (A nurse does some of the same technical tasks as a physician- does that mean we should just jump the medical school coursework and "challenge" the boards? not...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ms. V in Jacksonville, Florida

10 months ago

In response to Lisa, I have been a CMA for 17yrs. I have worked in a number of different settings including a hospital. Keeping a sterile area doesn't make you a good MA, LPN, or RN. Putting patient care first and compassion for your field is what makes you great at it. I didn't receive a lot training in MA school about a lot of things that I know now but keeping a sterile field was one of the first things I learned in MA school. MA, LPN, RN are just titles. Even after school you learn as you go. I'm an excellent CMA and I love what I do everyday. Helping people to live a healthy and better life and showing them compassion when they need it is apart of who I am, not just keeping a sterile area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Did in Altamonte Springs, Florida

9 months ago

NclexRN boards are easy peasy once you learn the language. Pain related to heart attack aeb pt stating blah blah blah. In addition every other answer is, contact the dr.
Nurses know this, but have a monopoly and are not giving it up. Most medically trained people in ANY discipline could pass, just as RN are unfairly allowed to challenge other disciplines.
I WAS ASTONISHED at how EASY the RN board exam was. Elementary if you study.

9 months ago

All medical disciplines first and foremost involve assessment susan.

9 months ago

RN school was a big amount of "how much crap are you willing to eat." In order to have the privilege of giving 2 Tylenol for a headache and make 40 bucks an hour to do it. It doesn't take 2 years to teach someone to check their liver function prior to giving the meds. It's all right there in the nurses medicine manual. Derrrrrr. I DESPISED every single day. Oh and doing hospital corners on a sheet and not fluffing it to spread germs. Nonsense. They pick pick pick, in order to validate their monopoly. And then you are all paranoid for the NclexRN exam after their horribly difficult tests during school and it's a JOKE! It pissed me off. It's a racket.

9 months ago

Head to toe assessment is done EVERY single time you interact as a parent to your own child. It's just a matter of being aware of things. Either you have the aptitude or you don't. You give a med, you assess and document. It's no big deal that other disciplines with experience shouldn't be allowed to challenge the boards.

9 months ago

But all professions do this. Otherwise everyone would have the job. Take your prereq's and unfortunately go through 5 terms of nonsense nursing jargon to learn how they want us to think, so they can say they are a "profession with their unique language" so you can pass their ridiculous little exam and make a living while keeping everyone else out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

urus siddiqui in Westborough, Massachusetts

8 months ago

hi friends
i took NACE I: Foundation of Nursing exam and passed with good score.
but i failed in NACE I: Nursing Care of Childbearing Family exam. now i am going to take last one NACE I: Nursing Care of Child on December 9th. i am scared and nervous can anyone give me some tips to pass this exam.

urus in Westborough, Massachusetts

6 months ago

i passed NACE I: Foundation of Nursing and Nursing Care of Child in first attempt with good score.
but i failed in NACE I: Nursing Care of Childbearing Family exam.
i found some good website for free practice of NACE and NCLEX .
i have some good books in PDF formet. if anyone looking free study material , mail me i will send website links and books free.
if someone think why i am doing rhis?
the answer is very simple when i took my exam noone was there for help. so i decided to help others who is in my position. i am LPN and Pharmacy tech . i did same with Pharmacy tech material. daily i get more then 10 request for pharmacy tech material and i send daily free of cost. i love to help people . so you can mail me or left a massage here with email address for material and tell me you want books for all three exams or for a spacfic exam

urus siddiqui
anjumshab@gmail.com

erikad99 in West Palm Beach, Florida

2 months ago

Annissa in Blairsville says: "I have worked as a MA in the past 13 years. I believe with additional work experience that a MA should be able to take the test. I have found with my experience, they can have you do the work of a LPN or even a RN, and not have to pay or give you credit for it. I believe a year of repeating most of the courses is a waste of time and money.
At a past job I was trained as a radiology tech, so they would not have to hire one and saved on the budget.
Most of the time we dont get the credit that a LPN does, even if it was almost the same courses and training."

Omg!! I wasn't going to comment but as an LPN who first was an MA and now I am in school for my Bachelors in Nursing I am shocked!!! I too took an MA program for 18 months and I am POSITIVE after taking an LPN program and working as an LPN for 10 years that there isn't an MA out there doing the "same exact job as an LPN". I am not by any means putting down an MA because I was one. I just know from experience that it is DEFINITELY two totally different jobs. An MA doesn't pass medication to 10 or more patients and do wound care or critical thinking in depth like a nurse. I am offended that you would even think that. It isn't my place to judge though so if by some slim chance you are even allowed to sit for boards based on your "experience as a nurse" lol you will likely drown. smh... People are so arrogant.. thats like me saying I have been a nurse for 10 years so i have the experience to be a doctor... wow!!

2 months ago

Susan in Mount Vernon, Washington said: It seems like this is all apples and oranges and the MA's are missing the point. An MA is not the same thing as an LPN. An LPN and an RN are more similar because they are both nurses..i.e. the critical thinking skills, assessment, etc. I keep seeing comments like "an LPN/RN had to ask an MA what to do" or "I do the same work as an LPN/ RN so I should be one too even though I haven't gone to school"...lol. A paramedic and an RN aren't the same thing, for that matter...different animals, different focus in the education and clinical training. The comments here I am seeing from MA's is typically "I do the same tasks as an LPN/RN so I should be able to do a challenge exam, I know as much as an LPN/ /RN." YOU ARE MISSING THE POINT. A few nurses have made the point- the education is quite different. The focus is quite different. A doctor's education is diagnostic. A PA's education is diagnostic in focus. A nurse's education is patient care, critical thinking, assessment. An MA's education is more about tasks and assisting the doctor. A Hospice nurse said this to me once, when I was a brand new nurse and afraid of some of the "tasks"...."a trained monkey could do these tasks! What makes a good nurse is the ability to assess a patient." And that is the piece that MA's are missing. An MA may do a bang-up job of performing technical tasks. Doctors may even have them (illegally) doing phone triage and medication administration . But they're not nurses. They can be fantastic at their jobs, but they're not nurses. Just like nurses aren't paramedics. Or doctors."

BRAVO! i am an LPN who is so tired of seeing people think they can do my job by "being a good MA" I also went to MA school and I knew my place! Yes some MAs are amazing, but shove them into a nursing home and see if they can keep up! HAHAHAAAA NO!

2 months ago

Cubbaz in Murrieta, California said: I think if you would have started out as an MA you would not be so quick to judge. An MA and LVN are almost equal. I work with them all day long and see them asking the MA what they should do!

I have been a nurse 10 years and I have asked CNAs how I should make a bed when i first got out of school.. does that mean that the CNA can automatically do my job since I had to ask how to make a bed the way the patient prefers? Not at all! Odds are an unexperienced LPN asked an MA how to do a job that the MA had experience doing. That doesn't make the MA a nurse! Thats like saying if a doctor asks a mechanic how to change his oil in his car the mechanic can perform surgery on a human! smh!

2 months ago

Cheri in Niceville, Florida said: Well I am a MA and yes I know how to change sterile dressings, and straight cath , and start IV's
Keep sterile area so yes to your question. While in my MA program Iearned just as much as a LPN
And I know i can do a great job as a Lpn. Well Educated. Sign MA in Fl.

Cool.. come change my wound vac and while your at it the patient in room 209 wants her pain pills NOW, and oh.. the doctor has an order up there flagged that needs taken off right away. Can you push meds cuz room 113 needs their pain meds via IV.. Oh your not IV certified?? ok!! Well can you go check that J-tube for placement? Do you know the difference between a g tube and j tube without googling the answer? How bout a JP drain? Can you do that? Patient in room 109 pulled their Gtube out.. what are you going to do? Hurry Nurse... Times ticking! LOL
An MA is a VERRRRRYYYYYYYYY far cry from a nurse... I have my MA and my nurse's license and I know the difference... Just knowing what a sterile field is doesn't make u a nurse. I know how to change oil does that make me a mechanic??? I know how to do a few things that doctors are the only one's supposed to do.. can i sit for my MD boards?? You are pretty arrogant to think that knowing a few "BASIC" yes i said BASIC skills makes you a nurse! There is a reason YOU AREN'T SITTING FOR BOARDS!

Page:  « First « Previous   9  10  11  12   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.