Where to go to take a LPN exam? I am a MA and want to challenge the test.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 574)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

UNKNOWN in Tallahassee, Florida

63 months ago

Missa in Saint Petersburg, Florida said: I am going to school for MA and my teacher is a LPN. When speaking to advisers at the school, many people were told they could challenge the LPN course. My teacher called the board of nursing here and you CANNOT challenge the LPN test. LPNs can challenge the RN test once they completed certain working requirements (like you have to work for 5 years as an LPN -- I don't know how long it was) and taking the required prerequisites for the RN course.

There is a HUGE difference between MA and LPN and I highly doubt that any state would allow you to challenge the test. LPNs have to learn a lot more than we cover for becoming an MA. All the experience in the world as an MA will NOT get you to LPN without the course.

I wish I could skip the year and a half of school and just poof, magically become an LPN then RN to continue on to medical school, but I'm SOL there. You HAVE to do it!

If you doubt my word, try to google the number for your state's board of nursing and call them. They have ALL the information you need.

Also, if you work for a place that offers tuition reimbursement or will allow you to take the classes for free upon you promising to work for them for x years, it would make life much easier for you. This is what I hope to do.

As a CNA you couldn't even challenge the MA certification. CNA and LPN are a whole world of different.

My teacher personally went into great detail during our pharmacology course and taught us partially from his notes from when he was in school for LPN.

Um, I completed 4 months of the LPN class here in Tallahassee, and I challenged the CNA test completed that and came back to challenge the CMA exam, and was told you CAN challenge the LPN exam as long as you meet board requirements. FURTHERMORE i dissagree with you MA's and LPN's both do alot of work theo only difference is that LPN's can push certain meds. And as an MA under a DR's license I have learned RN stuff.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kali, LPN in South Plainfield, New Jersey

63 months ago

UNKNOWN in Tallahassee, Florida said: Um, I completed 4 months of the LPN class here in Tallahassee, and I challenged the CNA test completed that and came back to challenge the CMA exam, and was told you CAN challenge the LPN exam as long as you meet board requirements. FURTHERMORE i dissagree with you MA's and LPN's both do alot of work theo only difference is that LPN's can push certain meds. And as an MA under a DR's license I have learned RN stuff.

I dont understand how you learned alot of RN stuff under a MD. Respectfully, the medical profession and the nursing profession, even though the incorporate the patient. They are not the same thing. As far as the 4 months of LPN school....were you a CMA first or a CNA? Because you stated that you challenged the CNA then challenged the CMA...so what were you before that to challenge the CNA then the CMA. Because they nursing assistant is not the same as a medical assistant.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

UNKNOWN in Tallahassee, Florida said: Um, I completed 4 months of the LPN class here in Tallahassee, and I challenged the CNA test completed that and came back to challenge the CMA exam, and was told you CAN challenge the LPN exam as long as you meet board requirements. FURTHERMORE i dissagree with you MA's and LPN's both do alot of work theo only difference is that LPN's can push certain meds. And as an MA under a DR's license I have learned RN stuff.

If CMA were the same..then you would be considerate Licensed personnel rather than working under someone else's license.

Martha in Slidell, Louisiana

63 months ago

I have 124 college credit hours in the science curriculum. I have an associate degree and 15 years experience in the medical field. I am 46 years old and would love to challenge the lpn state board. I know with my experience and knowledge I could pass. I have took numerous classes, from nursing,coding,OR tech to EMT, I have worked in IM, PEDS, Family, and DERM and would love to prove that a CMA, with experience, knowledge and the right attitude, could pass the boards. I have a good job with excellent pay but still need that degree. I am going to look into the California boards and then go from there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kat in Sun City West, Arizona

63 months ago

Martha in Slidell, Louisiana said: I have 124 college credit hours in the science curriculum. I have an associate degree and 15 years experience in the medical field. I am 46 years old and would love to challenge the lpn state board. I know with my experience and knowledge I could pass. I have took numerous classes, from nursing,coding,OR tech to EMT, I have worked in IM, PEDS, Family, and DERM and would love to prove that a CMA, with experience, knowledge and the right attitude, could pass the boards. I have a good job with excellent pay but still need that degree. I am going to look into the California boards and then go from there.

If you were eligible to challenge the California boards, the LVN license you receive will most likely only be valid in California because other states will not recognize it. This is because nearly everywhere the minimum requirement for licensure is completion of an approved Nursing program. While I'm sure your experience and previous education would be helpful, your state board of nursing really doesn't care about that and would not allow you to sit for the NCLEX-PN. Maybe I misunderstood you, but becoming an LPN does not give you a degree of any kind it only gives you a license to practice practical nursing. However, you should contact your state board of nursing for the most accurate information.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

imjustsayn in Wilmington, North Carolina

63 months ago

bronxnynurse in Bronx, New York said: LPN IS WAY MORE DETAILED THAN MA. MANY MA'S GET OFFENDED AND THINK THAT ITS THE SAME MATERIAL. ITS NOT. MOST PPLE GO INTO NURSING FOR THE MONEY AND THATS WHY THEY ARE NOT HAPPY WITH WHAT THEY DO. TO BE AN LPN YOU NEED A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF CLINICAL HOURS APPROVED BY THE STATE BOARD OF NURSING. YOU HAVE TO UNDERSTAND ALL BODY SYSTEMS, DISEASES, MEDICATIONS, NURSING ASSESSMENT AND INTERVENTIONS. YOU ARE AN ACTUAL NURSE AND HAVE TO UNDERSTAND THE STEPS OF THE NURSING PROCESS. LPNS ASSESS PATIENTS, MA'S DO NOT. THEY GIVE MEDS. MA'S ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO CAUSE ONLY A LICENSED PROFESSIONAL IS REQUIRED BY LAW TO GIVE ANY FORM OF
MEDICATION. DOCTORS ALLOW MA TO GIVE MEDS BECAUSE IT IS TOO EXPENSIVE TO HIRE A NURSE TO GIVE MEDS. IF THE STATE FINDS OUT THEN THAT DOCTOR WOULD BE IN ALOT OF TROUBLE.

That is not true. A CMA can give medication. CMA's are licensed under the doctor they work for. They can assses/triage patients. I do not know where your facts have come from, but maybe you should check them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

rosario47@hotmail.com in Land O Lakes, Florida said: I am a medical assistant. I went to keiser career college and they taught me how to assess patients like doctors do. I am satisfy. I am RMA and I would like to challenge the test to become an LPN. Can any body help me? I think if I challenge the test I will pass. Also I have my CNA and Catheterization certification. I learned from my book of medical assistant that lpn is almost the same as a medical assistant the only differences is that LPN can do iv's, but medical assistant don't. I feel like I know more than an LPN or an RN because I been working with a lot of RN's and I just notice that.

CMA's can start an IV.

bronxnynurse in Bronx, New York

63 months ago

how can you be licensed and practice under a doctor. check your board of nursing and your scope of practice. doctors do anything cause they dont care about your scope of practice or you goin to jail for doing what u not supposed to do, i work with them everyday, they only want the job done. that doesnt make you a nurse because you doing things outside your scope of practice. Have you ever given 40 patients medication in four hours? and i mean people who are on 6 or more meds.

63 months ago

you seem angry.....
my scope of practice allows me to give meds under the license of the doctor i work for, for insurance purposes. i am not a rn nor do i claim to be, i am actually getting ready to start nursing school. i was simply telling you that your incorrect. cma's are allowed to give meds under the direction of that provider " MD, PA or FNP". it is in our scope of practice.

Kat in Sun City West, Arizona

63 months ago

imjustsayn in Wilmington, North Carolina said: That is not true. A CMA can give medication. CMA's are licensed under the doctor they work for. They can assses/triage patients. I do not know where your facts have come from, but maybe you should check them.

It varies from state to state what MA's able to do and not do. In general, MA's are not allowed to do invasive procedures such as IV insertion and IV meds or catheter insertion. However many states allow MA's to give meds and some do allow them to give certain injectable meds. Broadly though, MA's DO NOT assess. They are not licensed and a physician should not delegate assessment to a unlicensed person. Taking vital signs and pt history is not a physical assessment. They should not be assessing lung sounds, neurological, bowels, cardiovascular, etc. MA's are not trained to assess and interpret signs and symptoms. While probably a good experienced MA is competent to do so, it is a question of legally being able to do so.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Kat in Sun City West, Arizona said: It varies from state to state what MA's able to do and not do. In general, MA's are not allowed to do invasive procedures such as IV insertion and IV meds or catheter insertion. However many states allow MA's to give meds and some do allow them to give certain injectable meds. Broadly though, MA's DO NOT assess. They are not licensed and a physician should not delegate assessment to a unlicensed person. Taking vital signs and pt history is not a physical assessment. They should not be assessing lung sounds, neurological, bowels, cardiovascular, etc. MA's are not trained to assess and interpret signs and symptoms. While probably a good experienced MA is competent to do so, it is a question of legally being able to do so.[/QUOT

I agree kat, no one is saying that ma does not know how to do these things because they have seen it done a lot in their careers. The problem comes when UAP (CMA and CNA etc...) begin practice outside their scope and do these procedures because the MD asked them to or because they do it "everyday" when in reality they shouldnt be doing it at all. Then they come here and say I can do this give IV's and this and that. Know your scope...its your responsibilty. There are malpractice suits everyday because of these things everyday.

JD1970 in Miamisburg, Ohio

63 months ago

Christine M. in Springboro, Ohio said: I was in the same position, I have been a Cetrtified Medical Assistant for 27 years and wanted to become an LPN. At least in Ohio the is no longer any such thing as testing out to become a nurse, if there was I would have done it. I took an exelerated Practical Nursing program and will be NCLEX eligable in 11 weeks

Hi...I am in the same situation here in Miamisburg OH. We live very close, in fact I work at Digestive Specialts in Springboro. I work with LPN's and RN's and do the same thing as the LPN's...I do not understand why we cannot test out to be an LPN??? Where did you take your excelerated PN program from? How did you do on the test?

Diane

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JD1970 in Miamisburg, Ohio

63 months ago

bronxnynurse in Bronx, New York said: LPN IS WAY MORE DETAILED THAN MA. MANY MA'S GET OFFENDED AND THINK THAT ITS THE SAME MATERIAL. ITS NOT. MOST PPLE GO INTO NURSING FOR THE MONEY AND THATS WHY THEY ARE NOT HAPPY WITH WHAT THEY DO. TO BE AN LPN YOU NEED A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF CLINICAL HOURS APPROVED BY THE STATE BOARD OF NURSING. YOU HAVE TO UNDERSTAND ALL BODY SYSTEMS, DISEASES, MEDICATIONS, NURSING ASSESSMENT AND INTERVENTIONS. YOU ARE AN ACTUAL NURSE AND HAVE TO UNDERSTAND THE STEPS OF THE NURSING PROCESS. LPNS ASSESS PATIENTS, MA'S DO NOT. THEY GIVE MEDS. MA'S ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO CAUSE ONLY A LICENSED PROFESSIONAL IS REQUIRED BY LAW TO GIVE ANY FORM OF MEDICATION. DOCTORS ALLOW MA TO GIVE MEDS BECAUSE IT IS TOO EXPENSIVE TO HIRE A NURSE TO GIVE MEDS. IF THE STATE FINDS OUT THEN THAT DOCTOR WOULD BE IN ALOT OF TROUBLE.

I don't know about the Medical Assistant programs in other states, but mine included a lot of anotomy and physiology, pharmacoloy, patient accessment, sterile procedures, phlembotomy, ekg certified, writing and dispensing schedule I,II,II prescriptions as well as giving IM, Intradermal, Subcutaneous, and Z track; performing lab tests, taking out sutures, learning names of surgiacl instruments to assist in surgery, making casts,etc. This was in addition to all of the Administrative classes. The only things I can think of that we were not taught was IV training and cathetaurs.

I graduated 10 years ago with an Associates in Applied Science and they told us all through school the the LPN position will be elimnated and the Medical Assistants will take their place....that was a big lie.

What I don't understand is how underpaid ($8.50-10.00) the Medical Assistants get for all of their knowledge and even with a degree.

63 months ago

JD1970 in Miamisburg, Ohio said: I don't know about the Medical Assistant programs in other states, but mine included a lot of anotomy and physiology, pharmacoloy, patient accessment, sterile procedures, phlembotomy, ekg certified, writing and dispensing schedule I,II,II prescriptions as well as giving IM, Intradermal, Subcutaneous, and Z track; performing lab tests, taking out sutures, learning names of surgiacl instruments to assist in surgery, making casts,etc. This was in addition to all of the Administrative classes. The only things I can think of that we were not taught was IV training and cathetaurs.

I graduated 10 years ago with an Associates in Applied Science and they told us all through school the the LPN position will be elimnated and the Medical Assistants will take their place....that was a big lie.

What I don't understand is how underpaid ($8.50-10.00) the Medical Assistants get for all of their knowledge and even with a degree.

Its pretty evident why ma and lpn have a big salary gap: MA's dont hold the license as the LPN does. And no matter how much you learned or experienced..You did not learn the an important technique essential to nursing, which by ground work separates the Unlicensed assistive personnel from the nurse , which is : the nursing process and Nursing diagnoses. The LPN will never be done away with...We have to many baby boomer living longer and not enough nurse to begin with. And when you have organization fighting for nurses to be paid well because of that license like the NLN or the Napnes, you begin to see why it is important for lpn and even rn with specific specialities should be paid that way. I mentioned before that respectfully, the nursing profession and the medical profession (MD, DR.) are different even though they incorporate the patient. Good for you that you have the experience but I am not trying offend anyone: MA and LPN are not the same.

Kat in Arlington, Texas

63 months ago

JD1970 in Miamisburg, Ohio said: Hi...I am in the same situation here in Miamisburg OH. We live very close, in fact I work at Digestive Specialts in Springboro. I work with LPN's and RN's and do the same thing as the LPN's...I do not understand why we cannot test out to be an LPN??? Where did you take your excelerated PN program from? How did you do on the test?

Diane

Why don't you just ask your state board of nursing why your medical assistant training is not equivalent to LPN training? If you read the numerous posts on this forum there have been many responses to that very question.

Marie in Kirkland, Quebec

62 months ago

I'am a LPN licence in quebec,I'am planing to move to Florida,I would like to know where I can take NCLEX-PN examination in Canada?

yarlye in Orlando, Florida

62 months ago

i am done with the whole RN program and because of the hesi i can not graduate and my school won't voucher for me to take at least the lpn. what should i do, please help.

62 months ago

yarlye in Orlando, Florida said: i am done with the whole RN program and because of the hesi i can not graduate and my school won't voucher for me to take at least the lpn. what should i do, please help.

Call your local board school of nursing. You can finish an RN program and go for lpn but it has to be approved by the board of nursing..as far as your hesi is concern...you school has to sign you off saying that she completed program successfully with those scores. best regards

62 months ago

Marie in Kirkland, Quebec said: I'am a LPN licence in quebec,I'am planing to move to Florida,I would like to know where I can take NCLEX-PN examination in Canada?

Call or go their website for the florida board of nursing. Their application has the explanation for foreign nurses. best regards.

Eve in Petersburg, Michigan

62 months ago

Lisa said: I just don't understand why an MA thinks they could be a safe/efficient LPN without going through a nursing program... I'm not degrading MA's. Does an MA know how to keep a sterile area (like a catheter or dressing change)... I would not be a happy patient knowing that my nurse never went through a nursing program... Sorry if I stepped on any toes, but I know I'm not the only one thinking this...

Actually, here in Michigan, MA's DO learn to keep a sterile field, insert a catheter and change a dressing. We also learn to do injections, take vitals, do basic urinalysis and venipuncture. We are also skilled in administrative duties. Yes, we are more specialized in ambulatory care, but there are many of us working in the finest hospitals in this area doing all sorts of things from being pharmacy techs to phlebotomists to medical office assistants to insurance billing and coding, even O.R. Technicians.

I think you could rest easy knowing your health care is in the hands of an RMA or CMA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Nurselightsey in Phoenix, Arizona

62 months ago

Dee Thornton in Santa Ana, California said: Good Morning all,
Maybe you can help me. I am a Medical Assistant and I was told by my teacher that I could challenge the test and become a LPN. Is this true? If so, where do I go. I live in Newport News, VA.

You can not challenge the NCLEX for LPN nor can an LPN challenge the RN NCLEX, each state has requirements as far as education and clinical requirements and once you meet those then and only then will you will be allowed to test.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lisa

62 months ago

Eve in Petersburg, Michigan said: Actually, here in Michigan, MA's DO learn to keep a sterile field, insert a catheter and change a dressing. We also learn to do injections, take vitals, do basic urinalysis and venipuncture. We are also skilled in administrative duties. Yes, we are more specialized in ambulatory care, but there are many of us working in the finest hospitals in this area doing all sorts of things from being pharmacy techs to phlebotomists to medical office assistants to insurance billing and coding, even O.R. Technicians.

I think you could rest easy knowing your health care is in the hands of an RMA or CMA

No, quite honestly, I wouldn't. I want somebody that has their own license. There is a HUGE difference in a nurse and a Medical Assistant. I just do not know what is so hard to understand about this.

62 months ago

Well then, just hope you don't get ill in Michigan. The University of Michigan Hospital, St Joseph Mercy Hospital and many others use M.A.s in addition to other health professionals.....Yup, world class institutions find us to be qualified.

Of course there is a difference between nurses and M.A.'s....But quite honestly, we can perform most of the duties of an LPN and some others in addition. It isn't like we learn how to make a bed, mop a floor and then get turned loose to poke people with needles and play with a stethoscope.

As for licensing versus certification...it's all relative, because there is a licensing requirement in the works for M.A.s in some states. Is that truly going to make a difference to you? We already have to prove our competency by challenging an exam and in order to keep our certification we too have to take CE courses.
I don't quite understand the anomosity....it's a six of one and half a dozen of the other argument.

Its like debating the difference between a psychologist and a social worker.....symantics.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

*semantics* too

62 months ago

Eve in Petersburg, Michigan said: Well then, just hope you don't get ill in Michigan. The University of Michigan Hospital, St Joseph Mercy Hospital and many others use M.A.s in addition to other health professionals.....Yup, world class institutions find us to be qualified.

Of course there is a difference between nurses and M.A.'s....But quite honestly, we can perform most of the duties of an LPN and some others in addition. It isn't like we learn how to make a bed, mop a floor and then get turned loose to poke people with needles and play with a stethoscope.

As for licensing versus certification...it's all relative, because there is a licensing requirement in the works for M.A.s in some states. Is that truly going to make a difference to you? We already have to prove our competency by challenging an exam and in order to keep our certification we too have to take CE courses.
I don't quite understand the anomosity....it's a six of one and half a dozen of the other argument.

Its like debating the difference between a psychologist and a social worker.....symantics.

Well i think you answered your own question...Social workers and psychologist are not the same. They are so different in so many ways. Just like LPN's and MA... Social worker work with families and individuals and help making referrals among other thing..Psychologist treat the disorder/illness and help find a solution to help individuals and families to cope. Big difference: one is a doctor and has a license, while the other deals with mostly case management of the case. It makes a big difference and it shows the competency of one to the other. MA are not help responsible if they mess up, rather the clinician that they work under is held accountable, no matter how many ceu and in services you take.A license and certificate is not the same. one legally holds you responsible while the other is just stating that you learned the skills required to obtain it not the competency.

62 months ago

Actually, Kali....the services of social workers and psychologists often overlap...in most states they are both qualified to do counseling.

You are right however, in that M.A.s are not held responsible for our mistakes in most cases.....BUT, that doesn't mean we are just a bunch of screw ups.

I think you and a lot of other people need to let go of your insecurities and stop worrying that LPN's are going to be losing jobs to M.A.'s. We both serve a purpose...we are both qualified and we are both talented. Our talents often overlap, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for both of us.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kat in Arlington, Texas

62 months ago

Eve in Petersburg, Michigan said: Well then, just hope you don't get ill in Michigan. The University of Michigan Hospital, St Joseph Mercy Hospital and many others use M.A.s in addition to other health professionals.....Yup, world class institutions find us to be qualified.

I agree MAs have their place in healthcare, but stop comparing them to nurses (including LPNs!). In the hospital an MA does NOT function what so ever like an LPN. Inpatient LPNs normally are responsible for their own set of patients and complete independent assessments, medications, treatments, communicating with the physician, taking orders, providing interventions, delegating care to UAPs etc. MAs are only techs in the hospital. I would have no problem with a MA taking my blood, VS, samples for tests etc. But when it comes down to invasive or skilled procedures requiring assessment please get me a licensed nurse!

62 months ago

Eve in Petersburg, Michigan said: Actually, Kali....the services of social workers and psychologists often overlap...in most states they are both qualified to do counseling.

You are right however, in that M.A.s are not held responsible for our mistakes in most cases.....BUT, that doesn't mean we are just a bunch of screw ups.

I think you and a lot of other people need to let go of your insecurities and stop worrying that LPN's are going to be losing jobs to M.A.'s. We both serve a purpose...we are both qualified and we are both talented. Our talents often overlap, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for both of us.

Did social work for 4 years and can tell you that when it comes down to the individuals and families of sociology and psychology, yes they overlap, which I thought you would get from that statement being as that they both deal with families and individuals and one sometimes cant function without the other. As far as insecurities are concern, individually; I am passed that stage in life and at a better place, I dont have to put anyone down but that is neither here nor there. Let me tell you the truth about the truth: it remains that same no matter how you feel, your feelings dont take away and add to the truth: it just is what it is. MA's are not licensed professionals! health care professional but not licensed. Yes they have their function in the health care setting but you have people who read this post everyday, looking for the real deal on career guidance/advice and when you have people saying MA can do everything and anything that an LPN can do: it is wrong, legally and ethically you shouldnt be practicing out of your scope. Again, I am not putting the MA down, just simply stating a fact: LPN and MA: not the same. I work with MA's who know what they are talking about, i encourage them to go back to nursing school because then they will know the rationale behind the practice: a licensed person is used to protect the public.

62 months ago

Also eve, again, even though the social worker and the psychologist overlap with individuals and families: treatment is not the same. She/He is a licensed doctor and the social worker may be a licensed one, which they dont have to be cuz most arent. The way the two professions counsel clients are not the same. Therefore, they are not the same because their roles play out differently holitically for the client. When I was a social worker, you did case management, you referred the client to the psychologist for treatment but as the social worker you may asked a couple of question to gather for anaylsis for the psychologist but it his job to treat them and not you...comes back down to knowing your scope to protect yourself and the public.

62 months ago

the word I meant was "holistically"

cc in Minneapolis, Minnesota

62 months ago

Dee Thornton in Santa Ana, California said: Good Morning all,
Maybe you can help me. I am a Medical Assistant and I was told by my teacher that I could challenge the test and become a LPN. Is this true? If so, where do I go. I live in Newport News, VA.

I would contact that teacher and find out the details or call your state board of nursing.

christina in Bowling Green, Kentucky

62 months ago

LPN's are no longer being hired by one of the hospitals here. In my area, they mostly work in nursing homes

blue in Grand Prairie, Texas

62 months ago

kali, LPN in South Plainfield, New Jersey said: Also eve, again, even though the social worker and the psychologist overlap with individuals and families: treatment is not the same. She/He is a licensed doctor and the social worker may be a licensed one, which they dont have to be cuz most arent. The way the two professions counsel clients are not the same. Therefore, they are not the same because their roles play out differently holitically for the client. When I was a social worker, you did case management, you referred the client to the psychologist for treatment but as the social worker you may asked a couple of question to gather for anaylsis for the psychologist but it his job to treat them and not you...comes back down to knowing your scope to protect yourself and the public.

No Ma'am. A "psychologist" IS NOT a "doctor"....unless by that you mean some of them (not all) have a Phd. They are absolutely not MD's though....they did not go to medical school. A psychiatrist is an MD...a psychologist is not.

Tay, LPN & CMA in Akron, Ohio

62 months ago

Why not just GO TO NURSING SCHOOL??? There are not very many states that offer a NCLEX challenge unless you were a hospital corpsman in the military, It seems that people want the reward without the hardwork!! Experience does NOT equal ability!!! I know serveral girls who were Medical assistants or nurse's aides for years and FAILED the NCLEX in my nursing program. So saying I have been and MA for xx amount of years does not mean that you will pass, have you even looked through Nclex materials?? Take it form me I was a medical assistant for three years before I went to LPN school and I was soo overconfident that I would whizz through nursing school because of my experience, WRONG!! although I did do excellent and graduated with a 90%( we didn't have GPAs) I still had to study and work hard and apply myself, I will admit that certain things were easy like medical terminology and anatomy and physiology becuase of medical assisting school. The education you recieve to become a nurse is totally different than the education to become and MA, nursing is just so much more in depth, plus clinical and preceptorship are different instead of just externship. I would suggest anyone who want to become an LPN or RN to just got to school and do it the right way, it may not be the most convient way, but it is neccessary to truley learn all you need to know to not only pass the nclex, but to be a SAFE and effective nurse, would you want a doctor working on you to have been someone who just challenged the boards?? NO! please give us nurses who worked hard in school the same respect! I personally am glad that there are not very many states who offer "board challenges" because I worked hard and studied my tail off and I DESERVE my nursing LICENSE!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Tay, LPN & CMA in Akron, Ohio said: Why not just GO TO NURSING SCHOOL??? There are not very many states that offer a NCLEX challenge unless you were a hospital corpsman in the military, It seems that people want the reward without the hardwork!! Experience does NOT equal ability!!! I know serveral girls who were Medical assistants or nurse's aides for years and FAILED the NCLEX in my nursing program. So saying I have been and MA for xx amount of years does not mean that you will pass, have you even looked through Nclex materials?? Take it form me I was a medical assistant for three years before I went to LPN school and I was soo overconfident that I would whizz through nursing school because of my experience, WRONG!! although I did do excellent and graduated with a 90%( we didn't have GPAs) I still had to study and work hard and apply myself, I will admit that certain things were easy like medical terminology and anatomy and physiology becuase of medical assisting school. The education you recieve to become a nurse is totally different than the education to become and MA, nursing is just so much more in depth, plus clinical and preceptorship are different instead of just externship. I would suggest anyone who want to become an LPN or RN to just got to school and do it the right way, it may not be the most convient way, but it is neccessary to truley learn all you need to know to not only pass the nclex, but to be a SAFE and effective nurse, would you want a doctor working on you to have been someone who just challenged the boards?? NO! please give us nurses who worked hard in school the same respect! I personally am glad that there are not very many states who offer "board challenges" because I worked hard and studied my tail off and I DESERVE my nursing LICENSE!!

Way to go Tay!!!
Congrats! Best regards. Welcome to the nursing field!!!!!!! Your hard work has paid off!! I wish the same to all, challenge yourselves MA's, go to nursing school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

blue in Grand Prairie, Texas said: No Ma'am. A "psychologist" IS NOT a "doctor"....unless by that you mean some of them (not all) have a Phd. They are absolutely not MD's though....they did not go to medical school. A psychiatrist is an MD...a psychologist is not.

I meant the Phd because doctors can only diagnose and treat. but thank you for the info though, I was aware that blue.

kieta_2006 in Saint Louis, Missouri

62 months ago

whats the differents between a cma and cmt please explain

Shelly, CMA & CNA in Fayetteville, North Carolina

62 months ago

I just wanted to say, that I read this entire forum and have understood everyone's facts & opinions. Initially, I went to school for my RN right out of highschool. I did not complete the program because I was working full time, but got my certificate in CMA & CNA. I work as a MA now and do realize the difference between the two, because I too, wanted to maybe challenge the LPN test. We all do many different things in the healthcare setting we work in, whether it is allowed or not (both nursing assistant and MA's). Therefore, I feel we shouldn't dispute~! We may do IV's, give medications, change catheters, or more, but the importance of schooling is learning every detail in each technique and why. We may learn to do something, and just know about it, but not understand the "whole picture," if that makes sense? I have worked under doctor's for the past 5 years, and to be honest, it would be a huge step and big difference being primarily the responsible party for each client, as the RN&LPN are. I can't wait to go back to school for my RN. Some people may need to take smaller steps, like I did, because there is a lot of information to obtain and training to learn, thoroughly, before you are off on your own to take care of human lives :o)

debbie in Candler, North Carolina

61 months ago

quit your bitching you silly women!!!! typical women attacking each other over mute points!!!! who cares who is better??? you women get so defensive!!!! us men dont have petty arguments like this ok!!!!! if you feel as a cna/ma whatever is holding you back from lpn pay then do something about it!!!! QUIT BITCHING!!!! NO ONE IS BETTER THAB ANYONE HERE OK!!! that being said, i am an RN and really dont compare my abilities or pay with a lpn or cma. the b oard of nursing regulates what i can and cant do!!!! that also goes for lpns. that being said, if you are a cma or whatever and are doing procedures outside you "SCOPE OF PRACTICE" than you should know that is very dangerous and you could lose your license/certificate for doing that!! I THINK THE PROBLEM HERE IS RESPECT AND $$$$!!! ALSO IF YOU WANT TO CHALLENGE THE LPN/RN EXAM THAN BY ALL MEANS CALL THE BOARD AND SEE IF THEY WILL ALLOW YOU TO TAKE IT!!!! IT IS THEIR CALL NOT YOURS!! quit bitching and do something about it!!!!

61 months ago

debbie in Candler, North Carolina said: quit your bitching you silly women!!!! typical women attacking each other over mute points!!!! who cares who is better??? you women get so defensive!!!! us men dont have petty arguments like this ok!!!!! if you feel as a cna/ma whatever is holding you back from lpn pay then do something about it!!!! QUIT BITCHING!!!! NO ONE IS BETTER THAB ANYONE HERE OK!!! that being said, i am an RN and really dont compare my abilities or pay with a lpn or cma. the b oard of nursing regulates what i can and cant do!!!! that also goes for lpns. that being said, if you are a cma or whatever and are doing procedures outside you "SCOPE OF PRACTICE" than you should know that is very dangerous and you could lose your license/certificate for doing that!! I THINK THE PROBLEM HERE IS RESPECT AND $$$$!!! ALSO IF YOU WANT TO CHALLENGE THE LPN/RN EXAM THAN BY ALL MEANS CALL THE BOARD AND SEE IF THEY WILL ALLOW YOU TO TAKE IT!!!! IT IS THEIR CALL NOT YOURS!! quit bitching and do something about it!!!!

No ones bitching debbie..All you did was sum up what everybody has been saying in your own words..that it: It's not about the abilities of one from the other but rather the scope of practice. The trend here is that it's ok to practice outside of it for some or some may not know they are practicing outside and use this forum as a way to inspire more information gathering to reclarify their scope of practice. Was all exclamation marks really necessary? Big difference between men and women. Big difference.

Shelly, CMA & CNA in Fayetteville, North Carolina

61 months ago

kali, LPN in South Plainfield, New Jersey said: No ones bitching debbie..All you did was sum up what everybody has been saying in your own words..that it: It's not about the abilities of one from the other but rather the scope of practice. The trend here is that it's ok to practice outside of it for some or some may not know they are practicing outside and use this forum as a way to inspire more information gathering to reclarify their scope of practice. Was all exclamation marks really necessary? Big difference between men and women. Big difference.

I agree :) And you are very civil and mature about the whole situation unlike others!

JOJO in Asheville, North Carolina

61 months ago

where do i go to take the medical exam?? i work in a dr's office and watch at least 3 hours of doc shows each night and feel comfortable in performing the same procedures as them!!!! not much difference from the nursing assistance challenging the lvn boards now is it????? who cares what the nursing boards say anyway!!!! i mean we have rights too? dont we??? so what if a few pts get harmed along the way, it is going to happen in the obama healthcare anyway right????the nursing board people dont even take care of pts, they just do the paper work while we are dong hands on!!!!! we have more experience than the nursing boards!!!!!! maybe they are afraid of losing their job????? we are a self governing country and the rights of the opposed will not be suppressed!!!!!! give me the goddang test i am ready!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mandy in Cleveland, Oklahoma

61 months ago

Lisa said: I just don't understand why an MA thinks they could be a safe/efficient LPN without going through a nursing program... I'm not degrading MA's. Does an MA know how to keep a sterile area (like a catheter or dressing change)... I would not be a happy patient knowing that my nurse never went through a nursing program... Sorry if I stepped on any toes, but I know I'm not the only one thinking this...

I know I am posting months after the original post but must add a few facts here. The MA Program is extreamly close to the LPN Program. Sterile technique is part of the training, as is, oral medication administration, calculating medication to administer, injections, blood draws, assisting doctors in surgical proceedures, sterile processing, assestments of patients, wound care, draw fron central/pic lines, RX call-ins.... ok. get it? Must work under the direct supervision of a RN or Doc... just as a LPN MUST do. I worked L&D as a scrub tech using my RMA. When I applied for the position the employer didn't feel a LPN was qualified unless they had surgical background (a friend who was an LPN applied a week previously). Why? Because their training does not usually envolve sterile processing and surgical assisting. Wow! And not to forget to mention the pay. Most RMA's start out at 15 per h in my area. And thats fresh out of school with NO certification. Sorry to burst your bubble if you think that RMA's are not nearly as qualified as you LPN's. In my OWN personal opinion, the degree LPN is only good to have if you intend to work in a Nursing Home or bridge quickly to RN.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Kat in Arlington, Texas said: This makes no sense. If there were not MAs it would be nurses there instead. Before doctor's came up with MA's it was licensed nurses that worked the office. However MA's are available now and work for less money than nurses so doctor's can save money. Sorry if us nurses sound snooty but we tend to get a little defensive about our hard earned licenses and education. I'm sure you are a very qualified MA.

OK, why would you get up tight about you license? Seriously. Some MA's actually have a "hard earned license" too. In most states the LPN program in 1 year long... so is the MA program. I think the only thing LPN's are getting their scrubs in a wad about is getting forced out by MA's who are obviously as competent as LPN's, fact, thats why more doctors office choose MA's over LPN's to fill their positions... no worries, we will leave the Nursing Home jobs open for ya.

61 months ago

I would like to to point out something I have noticed in nearly all the post, besides the rudeness. LPN's are just that, Licensed PRACTICAL nurses. Do you understand the meaning of PRACTICAL? LPN's are the ones the MA's should be slamming. LPN's are claiming to be Nurses. No you are NOT nurses. You are PRACTICAL nurses. Thats like saying a nurse aided is entitled to be called a NURSE just because the word NURSE is in her title. No No No. PRACTICAL NURSE. PRACTICAL. Almost there. Just a little bit more education and with a little luck you can be a NURSE not a PRACTICAL NURSE.

My advice to the MA's in this thread, if you have attended a MA program then most likely you can bridge a lot of the LPN program. When you bridge they will most likely allow you to test out of classes that you have completed through the MA program. You could complete the LPN program in half the time. Most states that would mean a 6 months since the LPN program is generally 1 year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Nurselightsey in Phoenix, Arizona

61 months ago

wow you guys r brutal and downright rude, As an LPN of 15yrs (and working on my RN) I am a Nurse in every since of the word, I respect my RN and i also respect the MA as we all have different scopes of practice...thats the only difference. Our career paths are just different....I'm not limited to nursing homes because my experience says so (15yrs)and a hospice nurse for 3 and I've never allowed anyone to tell me what i can not do. AS long as I follow the rules of the Board of Nursing i'm good...and noone can change that. I decided to pursue my RN so that i can be a better educated NURSE simple as that. We are all supposed to be caring of others and that does not just include those who r ill , its supposed to also be for fellow caregivers and i just dont see that here.

If you are an CMA, RMA or whatever the title is, dont let anyone tell u what ure limited to, you can do anything you want even go to school for your RN, you deserve it and deserve the increased education....because thats the only difference is schooling. It is sad that some of you feel the need to bash others simply because they have not reached their goal yet....be supportive not like a bunch of crabs who when they see someone trying to better themselves they wanna pull them back in....Respect for all is the key.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

kali, LPN in Hanover, Maryland

61 months ago

Mandy in Cleveland, Oklahoma said: I would like to to point out something I have noticed in nearly all the post, besides the rudeness. LPN's are just that, Licensed PRACTICAL nurses. Do you understand the meaning of PRACTICAL? LPN's are the ones the MA's should be slamming. LPN's are claiming to be Nurses. No you are NOT nurses. You are PRACTICAL nurses. Thats like saying a nurse aided is entitled to be called a NURSE just because the word NURSE is in her title. No No No. PRACTICAL NURSE. PRACTICAL. Almost there. Just a little bit more education and with a little luck you can be a NURSE not a PRACTICAL NURSE.

My advice to the MA's in this thread, if you have attended a MA program then most likely you can bridge a lot of the LPN program. When you bridge they will most likely allow you to test out of classes that you have completed through the MA program. You could complete the LPN program in half the time. Most states that would mean a 6 months since the LPN program is generally 1 year.

I find this statement hypocritical Mandy, At one point you are stating that LPN are not nurses (which is hilarious to me..lol) and how their education is not qualified to be a nurse, then you tell MA's that in some states they can go in to some nursing programs with just 6 months to become a licensed practical nurse. LPN were not more qualified then MA, then why bother mentioning continuing their to go from an MA to LPN.
Let me let you on some history, which you wouldnt know anyway because your state spew ignorance: LPN preceded RN: this means that the FIRST NURSES, LIKE FLORENCE NIGHTENGALE, WERE LICENSED PRACTICAL NURSES. LPN'S WERE THE FIRST NURSES, so to say that LPN's are not nurses just is another reason why you should just go to nursing school and stop getting paid what you think is alot of money :15.00 AS AN MA, yikes!, LPN's in my area start out 25/hr, fresh out of school with their NURSING LICENSE AFTER TAKING THE NCLEX-PN.We also take an pledge as Nurs

Lisa

61 months ago

Mandy in Cleveland, Oklahoma said: I know I am posting months after the original post but must add a few facts here. The MA Program is extreamly close to the LPN Program. Sterile technique is part of the training, as is, oral medication administration, calculating medication to administer, injections, blood draws, assisting doctors in surgical proceedures, sterile processing, assestments of patients, wound care, draw fron central/pic lines, RX call-ins.... ok. get it? Must work under the direct supervision of a RN or Doc... just as a LPN MUST do. I worked L&D as a scrub tech using my RMA. When I applied for the position the employer didn't feel a LPN was qualified unless they had surgical background (a friend who was an LPN applied a week previously). Why? Because their training does not usually envolve sterile processing and surgical assisting. Wow! And not to forget to mention the pay. Most RMA's start out at 15 per h in my area. And thats fresh out of school with NO certification. Sorry to burst your bubble if you think that RMA's are not nearly as qualified as you LPN's. In my OWN personal opinion, the degree LPN is only good to have if you intend to work in a Nursing Home or bridge quickly to RN.

Why in the world would I want to work in a doctor's office and make barely over minimum wage? And why do you think LPN's only work in nursing homes? And a Surg. Tech. is completely different than a nurse. The tech. does not "care" for the pt. They keep everything sterile, pass tools, etc. And you said that you must work under the direct supervision of a RN or Md, just like an LPN. Well you failed to mention that you work UNDER an LPN also. I would love for you to say these stupid, rude, and ignorant things to my nursing instructors that I had. They would eat you alive. And to say that an LPN isn't a nurse? Are you drunk or on drugs??? Come on. You need a reality check. If an LPN isn't a nurse, then why when they enter a pt's room...[cont.]

Lisa

61 months ago

do they say, "Hi I'm ----, and I'll be your NURSE today." If an MA walks in a room and says, "I'll be your nurse today," well then there's an issue. Just call your states BON and ask them why an LPN is considered and nurse and tell them all the ridiculous, rude, stupid, and ignorant things that you have said on here and they will laugh at you just like everybody that has read your comments. And also, what is wrong with working in a nursing home? Geriatric pt's need care just like everybody else. RN's work in nursing homes, too... What's the point you're trying to make????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

beverlyglory in STONE MOUNTAIN, Georgia

61 months ago

Do anyone know if you can sit for the LPN exam as a medical assistant. I am a registered medical assistant and have experience in injections, phlebotomy, glucose testing, strep cultures, urinalysis, surgical procedures, sterile technique/procedures, vital signs, pharmacology, bedside care in med surg and oncology, mental health in children and adults, alzhemier/dementia patients, wound care, colostomy/ileostomy replace and/or changed as needed, put on O2 sat as ordered, insert catheters and removal, EKG testing and monitors, eye chart, centrifuge blood, and other duties. I currently work in a hospital and is willing to learning all that I can. A medical assistant does almost as much as a LPN. I am willing to study for the few things I do not know to pass the test. I am confident that I will pass the test if given the chance. If anyone hear of anything please e-mail me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.