it's great to be an lpn

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

new arrival in Everett, Washington

76 months ago

A great start to becomming an LPN is to hold a position as a CNA in a nursing home or hospital, so upon graduating you are guaranteed a position as a graduate practicing nurse for 90 days. I spent my entire 90 days absorbing every piece of information that I could before I took my state board. I volunteered for any hands on experience, and at the end of the day I went home and studied the disc of questions to prepare for my state test. I took all of this info with me and passed the test the first time and moved into my LPN position where I continued to learn about the good and the bad side of being a nurse. I left the bad side at that place and took the good that I learned and moved on. I startd working with critically ill babies and now my list of experiences is very long and marketable. I'll close with this, anyone who has gone from beginning to the end and passed the state board and is now an LPN, don't let your pride stop you, wherever you must start at this point-do it-get out there and let your experience be your best teacher and life will treat you very fair in the end.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana

58 months ago

Enjoyed your post. I have been a dental hygienist for the past 15 years and was having trouble admitting I have to re-train and will start with cna. Many of my peers act like there's something wrong with me for taking the cna course and act like it's beneath them or me. The pay is 1/4 of what I made as a hygienist but the field is so saturated there are no jobs. I had been driving 70 miles one way every day just to keep a job. No credits transfer because I've been out of school so long so am starting from the bottom at 53. I believe I am doing the right thing and enjoyed reading something positive. Thank-you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

shavon

58 months ago

So you are not going to be a Dental hygientist anymore?

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana

58 months ago

I am still licensed, but it doesn't do me any good if I can't work. I've been on unemployment for 11 months and look everyday. I would if I could.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.