How much is the starting pay for LPN's in Atlanta?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 438)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

hedy in Columbus, Ohio

71 months ago

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana said: Is 52 too old to become an LPN? I am thinking about a career move from dental hygienist as our field is saturated. I love working with patients and don't want to exit the healthcare field. Thanks.

suzanne, at 52 you are not to old, but try for the rn program. I've been an LPN for 19y and now I have leg/back problems, from lifting and picking patients off the floor. In the nursing homes its required that we be the jack of trades and do it all. so i hope to finish the rn program in 2010. To work in hospital is a reward because learn so much and the focus is still nursing but not as strenuose. this is my opinion and suggestion. good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

XXX in Newark, New Jersey

71 months ago

i would second that idea also. it will help that you have lots of prev. healthcare exper! id also advise that you look into actual job availability for lpn's in your area.it fluctuates alot from state to state, ive heard ohio is tough, not sure.these rn programs are VERY POPULAR right now, id act quickly!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana

71 months ago

Thanks for your opinion. Nothing speaks like experience. I am going to see a counselor at a local school next week. I cannot pick people up either. I'm about to the point I need help myself! I am thinking more like a dr's office setting. I have been watching our local paper and there are a lot more openings for LPN than MA's. I am encouraged by the # of women on this site changing careers at 50 plus. I feel less alone. God Bless.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bratpak2 in Medicine Hat, Alberta

71 months ago

Beth in Lawrenceville, Georgia said: Hi All,
I am considering going to school to become a LPN, but was wondering what the starting pay was. I'm actually torn between MA and LPN. Thanks!

In Canada LPN's are unionized and get 22.00 per hour starting wage along with 4.50 shift diff and 3.00 weekend premiums. Here the LPN's do everything an RN does except hook up a blood line. We do IV push, dialysis (which I do), ER, acute, and LTC. LPN here are in high demand because the RN's have priced themselves out of a job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Can someone tell me whether Florida hires dialysis LPN's and what the rate of pay is? Are there any LPN unions in the united states or is it just based on the hospital you work for. The other question is what's an MA?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

svb724pa in New Castle, Pennsylvania

71 months ago

diane in Lagrange, Georgia said: It pays a lot better than ma does and ma's do just about everything a LPN can do, especially when working in a doctor's office or a clinic.And you will go to school almost as long as lpn. But better yet get your RN degree.LPN jobs are getting fewer and farther between. Almost all hospitals and most homehealth agencies use only RN's. Good Luck!

To The person who said lpn jobs are few and far between, this is definitely not correct in pennsylvnia. Hospitals are laying off rns and hiring lpns because they can do everything that rns can except push iv's and hang blood. it makes more sense to hire a couple rns and mostly lpns. i make 17 dollars an hour as an lpn and i am in no danger of losing my job. my aunt just got laid off at the same hospital i work at. she is an rn and has been there for 10 yrs, i have been there for only two. we work for one of the best health care systems in the world(UPMC) and they are hiring lpns so dont think that you have to be an rn.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

mzjoi2u in Sacramento, California

71 months ago

17hr is a good decent wage right now! and plus do the research,,, LVN/Lpn's are needed badly,,I have been doing the research and found out that as a LVN(westcoast) they are needed badly,, and dont listen to what folks say, remember this is a forum, not facts but do your research, ,I have and Im going the lvn way and then going to bridge over to the rn and then goin to bridge over to a administrators position!! they have so many scholarships out there is amazing what you can do if you just put your mind too it!

Elaine in Trenton, Michigan

71 months ago

17 an hour isn't too bad. I am in Michigan and the economy is about the worst in the country and lots of people would love to have a job that makes 17 per hour. I think you can get higher here in michigan for LPN. I have seen $20 in some local advertisements.

mzjoi2u in Sacramento, California

71 months ago

Everybody please go to www.salary.com for information on how much LVN/LPN's make and you will be surprised! get involved in some nursing forums and get a pen pal,, they will help you bridge over to whatever you plan on doing.
Oh by the way Im nearing 50 too and am making a career change, I want job security, and I found it in nursing!! Im a computer person that has been laid off! and sick and tired of being sick and tired! I have made good money but I want to work 12hr shifts 3days a week!! and this field I can do it! I used to be a CNA and went to school with 4children and a husband and got my degree in computers, anyone can do it if they put there mind to it.....just try!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

cmcashman@charter.net in Spencer, Massachusetts

71 months ago

I work for the state as an LPN and make a great pay 24.72/hr you can find the good paying jobs it just may take a while by the way I graduated in June 2008

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

2banurse in Baltimore, Maryland

71 months ago

Katie in Parkville, Maryland said: Hey Michele from Salisbury! I live in MD also. Please tell me more about your position...facility? Private? base pay or differential? ETC...anything else you can share! ;) I start a program in September! Thank you!

Hey Katie! Where will you be going to school? Are you going to one of the MD community colleges or are you going to one of the schools in DC?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

I saw a counselor yesterday at Ivy Tech Community College in Indiana. She advised me to go for RN as it and LPN are about both 2 yrs. I wonder what those of you who have exp think? I am also thinking about respiratory tech but she told me yesterday that those programs are turning out a lot of grads and not a good employment outlook? Any thoughts? Thanks. PS I'm 52 and this is hopefully my last school!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

In Canada, the RN program is 4 years and is a bachelors degree. Is the RN program in the states only 2 years?? I'm thinking of relocating to the states and I'm wondering if the bridge between the two is even shorter? Please fill me in. I was thinking of taking the RN by distance from a Canadian University.

HEDY in Columbus, Ohio

71 months ago

IT WOULD BE YOUR BEST TO GO TO RN PROGRAM, BECAUSE YOU WOULD HAVE A WIDER RANGE OF MEDICAL TRAINING AND JUST AS REWARDING AS A LPN, BUT YOU ARE NEVER TO OLD AND YOU ARE NOT OLD. SO PERSUE YOUR DREAM SUZANNE AND DON'T LET NO TELL YOU DIFFERENT. YOU PUT AS MUCH IN AS YOU WILL RECEIVE. I AM IN MY 60'S AND I HAVE 19YS AND I HAVE 4 QUARTERS TO FINISH FOR THE RN. I FIGURE AT MY AGE AND WHEN I RETIRE I CAN WORK AS MUCH AS I WANT, BUT NOT PHYSICAL LIFTING AND BEING MENTALLY OVER STRESSED. SET YOUR LONGTERM PLAN AND GO GIRL! KEEP ME IN TOUCH. HEDY,COLUMBUS OHIO

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

I have found out there is an RN assoc. degree for 2 years and an RN BS that is 4 years. A school counselor told me the only thing the BS gets you are administrative jobs. I don't know any more yet.

71 months ago

HEDY in Columbus, Thank you for the confidence and I said a prayer for your success while reading! I am going to do something for sure. Today the same counselor called and said she could place me in a receptionist job at $12/hr which is what I will make after LPN school. (I have been making $35/hr as a dental hygienist) I just feel I am capable of so much more and afterall I still have about 20 years to work. I lost my mom to COPD and took care of her for many years as the disease progressed, so I'm thinking of resp therapist as 1st choice. I don't want to train and then have no jobs like what's happening to me now. I used to say I wish I had a crystal ball and mom would always say I was lucky I didn't. Now I know why. :)

Nicole In Louisiana

71 months ago

Hi everyone... I completed MA training & at the same time did PCT PT PTT CNA in 2002... I could never find a job half way decent in those fields... I'm beginning LPN school in 2 days for 17 months... Hopefully the training I had before helps in the field... I'm not sure how much LPNs make here, but I'd like to do travel nursing at some point ( I hear you have to wait a year ) & then bridge over to RN...

HEDY in Columbus, Ohio

71 months ago

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana said: I have found out there is an RN assoc. degree for 2 years and an RN BS that is 4 years. A school counselor told me the only thing the BS gets you are administrative jobs. I don't know any more yet.

THATS TRUE, BUT I HAVE WORKED WITH BSN AND ADN NURSES. BSN USUALLY IS GOOD TO HAVE IF YOU PLAN TO TEACH. YOU CAN TEACH WITH A 3YR, BUT EVENUALLY THE RN WILL HAVE TO GET THE 4YR. I AM SHOOTING FOR THE ADN, YOU CAN STILL BE IN PATIENT CARE/ADMINISTRATIVE ITS WIDE OPEN. SUZANNE WHEN I WAS WORKING ON A BUSINESS DEGREE I HAD TO DO A RESEARCH PAPER AND I FOCUSED ON NURSING SHORTAGE IN ALL AREAS. THAT WAS 6YRS AGO AND WHAT IS HAPPENING NOW IN NURSING HAD BEEN RESEARCH AND FORTOLD OF THE SHORTAGE AND HOW COMPUTERIZE NURSING IS BECOMING AND THE DECREASE JOBS FOR LPNS. BUT YOU KNOW THERE WILL ALWAYS BE WORK FOR THE LPN. THE SCHOOL COUNSELOR IS OK, BUT DO SOME RESEARCH ON YOUR OWN AND WHEN THAT DECISION IS MADE IT WILL BE YOURS---GET INFORMED. OHIO

71 months ago

Where do I do the research? I have contacted 3 schools, 2 of them wouldn't even talk to me until I filled out an app and paid a fee. I am on this forum, called a friends wife who just got her RN, and even called the local hospitals. I don't know where to look. Thank you so much. My main thing is to work in a dr's office someplace less stressful than a hospital.

HEDY in Columbus, Ohio

71 months ago

hey, suzanne, stop stressing (smile). number (1)finish the practical nursing school and focus there so you can graduate. OK! i went on the net and in terre haute there many jobs, the health field, health depaartment, physicians ofc, medical offices. to get the skills perfected when you first get out school. you can work in a rehab or small nursing facility for at least 1yr. on the form under jobs in your area. you have more jobs and in all areas that i wish was here, so you have a wide variety to look forward to. once you have a job get into a lpn-to-rn bridge program and you will only go for 4 quarters or 6 to complete the rn program at least thats the way its here. also you have a VA clinic there and they are looking for LPN. go on USA.Jobs and check it out LPN jobs on all military instillations. the reason why i know is that i did some reseach so i have given you a start. i don't mind, but i don't listen to dead beat talk and if someone doesn't want to share to me how they did it then i do my research, library, internet and i go to the schools and gather info. so slow down take your time and focus.

71 months ago

Hey Hedy,
I really needed that stop stressing comment today! Before I even got out of bed I had a headache and was bawling feeling sorry for myself. I am so fortunate compared to many people. I saved enough that I can live while I get re-trained and since I was displaced most of the schooling will be paid for too. I am going to go for the LPN and then take it from there. You speak from the heart and I need friends like you. God Bless.

jet's mom in Lawrenceville, Georgia

71 months ago

2banurse in Baltimore, Maryland said: Hey Katie! Where will you be going to school? Are you going to one of the MD community colleges or are you going to one of the schools in DC?

Hey are you going to lpn school in baltimore?

hedy in Columbus, Ohio

71 months ago

Hey girl, good for you. I've been there thats why its best to refocus

i am not the all know person, but i felt what you were feeling. email me later. i am at work. Have a GREAT DAY! ht columbus

71 months ago

I would like to but the md community colleges seem to have so many requirements. You have to complete your pre reqs first then you can apply to the program. After you apply, you may get in or you may not. They also only admit nursing students in the fall semesters. So if I am not finished everything (pre req) this year I can't apply until fall of 2010 which means I may or may not get in for the fall 2011. I am a single parent of a 1 year old. I would love to get the training now, start working, and finish up with my RN while working. Do you know of any other programs? I am will to commute.

71 months ago

jet's mom in Lawrenceville, Georgia said: Hey are you going to lpn school in baltimore?

would like to but the md community colleges seem to have so many requirements. You have to complete your pre reqs first then you can apply to the program. After you apply, you may get in or you may not. They also only admit nursing students in the fall semesters. So if I am not finished everything (pre req) this year I can't apply until fall of 2010 which means I may or may not get in for the fall 2011. I am a single parent of a 1 year old. I would love to get the training now, start working, and finish up with my RN while working. Do you know of any other programs? I am willing to commute.

jet's mom in Lawrenceville, Georgia

71 months ago

Yeah I know, same status here too! I've been looking at ccbc and thats where i'll start in the fall....Sojourner-Douglas doesnt seem to have a really hard program to get into! I'm guessing it may take a year and a half regardless for my situation! You in school now & where at?

71 months ago

jet's mom in Lawrenceville, Georgia said: Yeah I know, same status here too! I've been looking at ccbc and thats where i'll start in the fall....Sojourner-Douglas doesnt seem to have a really hard program to get into! I'm guessing it may take a year and a half regardless for my situation! You in school now & where at?

I plan to attend Howard Community College. They seem to have a good program. I have some credits but I have to retake my sciences. I attended college in the early 90s but never finished. I moved back home in early 2007 to go back to school discovered I was expecting shortly after. So that put my plans on hold.
Im still living at home :( but I have to sacrifice now to provide a secure future for my angel. Are you in Maryland now? I've been checking into programs in North Carolina also. I'll let you know what I find out. Keep me posted

jet's mom in Stone Mountain, Georgia

71 months ago

I'm coming back home in like a month or so! I'm gonna look more into Howard CC! It's funny that you were looking in NC, I was too! But most of my family is in Baltimore, so while I'm in school that my best bet!! Good Luck to you.....N I'm sure you know not to pay attention to that ignorant comment that was made!......"There will always be men struggling to change, and there will always be those who are controlled by the past." Keep your head UP! Peace & Blessings '09

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

jet's mom in Stone Mountain, Georgia said: I'm coming back home in like a month or so! I'm gonna look more into Howard CC! It's funny that you were looking in NC, I was too! But most of my family is in Baltimore, so while I'm in school that my best bet!! Good Luck to you.....N I'm sure you know not to pay attention to that ignorant comment that was made!......"There will always be men struggling to change, and there will always be those who are controlled by the past." Keep your head UP! Peace & Blessings '09

Im not at all concerned about XXX. XXX is clueless. Does he see what is happening in the world today. There are so many people of every culture out of work and seeking help. I am very happy with the decisions I've made to better myself. Anyway, back to the topic at hand. Let me know what you think about HCC...Ill be in touch.

71 months ago

XXX in Newark, New Jersey said: he? since when am i a "he"?

XXX, let me make a correction; he/she Is that better? No disrespect. Hopefully, you will be in a better mood today.

i am his princess in Roswell, Georgia

71 months ago

Shemika in Atlanta, Georgia said: For LPN's it really depends on the employer and how much they're willing to pay. I just recently graduated from school as a Medical Assistant, no luck with finding a job. So now I'm enrolled in the LPN program. At least with lpn you will be able to find a job. After talking with several employers 22.00 is the amount I've been told. But look at this work at an Nursing Home for a year, then go with some of the travel companies, which offer contracts 30.00 hour. Or some of the hospitals will hire LPN on the Med- Surge floor. So do your research before you make up your mind, cause alot of people think LPN don't make money,but yes they do. It's all about who you, and who's the employer.

Hey i was just wondering what jobs are hiring at 22/hr, i'm taking my boards soon and will be looking for a job.. i want to make way more then what im mkaing now..thanks in advance

BuddhaNature

71 months ago

AS a well experienced, and seasoned LPN I am sorry you have been the recepient of so much bad information. i strongly suggest you read the physical requiremnts you need to meet to be in the health care field. These requirements apply both to the LPN and RN positions. Let's approach this in a really rational way.Unless your nursing position is away from the bedside you will be involved in the lifting and moving of patients, whether it is in a hospital or nursing home setting. Patients have to be pullled up,repositioned and turned while they are in bed, You as the nurse will do these things,either alone,or when the situation calls for with help . If patients fall on the floor,you may have to get down to their level to assess them before moving them. That means you must be able to bend, stoop and kneel at times. You must also be able to lift. Patients do not levitate themselves. If you think there are a group of people at your beck and call at all times to help you,then you are sadly mistaken. With all that being said, I think you are going to have to prepare yourself for positions in nursing where you know you can handle the lifting,or there is no lifting involved. I am not saying they are not out there,but bet they are either few and far apart,and/ or require more experience and/ or education that you will have to gain by paying your dues first. If you use good body mechanics,as you will be taught,you can minimize your risks of being injured and in general prevent being a nurse from tearing down your body. Also never try to be supernurse or let anyone who may think they are lead you to think you can move or lift anybody,with just the two of you when it is clear more help is needed. I walk away from those supernurses and come back when enough staff is gathered to help. Afterall,if they are on the floor,they can't fall any further, and I can start first aid if needed with them lying right there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

BuddhaNature

71 months ago

There is a lot of talk about LPN salary on this board. I would never settle for $17.00 an hour for where I live at,and the employers would find themselves with few takers. In your area,it may be the norm for LPNS and considered a good salary, but not in the metro area where I work. My homecare agency has a base rate of $25 per hour. I make make $26, eves aand nigts pay more. My prn/pool positioin pays $28 an hour. Some agencies around here will pay LPNS $32 an hour. Going from place to nplace is not to my liking though.
If you look across the country,you will find some RNs are not paid as well as me,and LPNS make like $12 or $13 an hour. To me whatever you make should be above what the costs of living is in your area. You cannot demean the salary or even gloat over the salary of someone without knowing if that is more than an adequate salary for where they live at. For my area,I make a comfortable salary, meaning also after taking care of bills, I am left with disposable income. Making a high salary but living in a high cost area that takes most of it is not for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Len in White Plains, New York

71 months ago

Judith in Douglasville, Georgia said: I am a LPN and a MA. My top pay was 16.50 here in Atlanta in a Dr's office. Have been out of work since Feb 08. Almost 20 yrs as a LPN. Very few LPN jobs unless you want nursing home or home health. My advice is get your RN ASAP

This was very helpful since i was considering moving to Georgia. I have been LPN for 16 years the pay in New York is 26% higher than other states I make 28.00/hr in and outpt clinic.Facilities and hospitals are laying off Rns' here and the LPNs are taking over.

71 months ago

LPN2RN in Nashville, Tennessee said: I used to live in NJ an there arent any LPN jobs there!I was in the Army for 4 years and never had trouble finding a job until I looked for one in NJ. I have come by hundreds now that I am in TN, and pretty much every where else but NJ. I would recommend LPN to anyone...except those who live in NJ.

you need to move to new york..the pay is decent and the jobs rewarding

BuddhaNature

71 months ago

Len in White Plains, New York said: you need to move to new york..the pay is decent and the jobs rewarding

New York is one of the most expensive places to live,so I wonder if $28 dollars an hour is really a lot of money for the cost of living there. I work in a metro area and maske $26 an hour. As I said in the previous posts cost of living is not extremly high, and one is left with disobable income after paying the bills,and getting the groceries.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lpn.....lilb in Lilburn, Georgia

71 months ago

Yeah for her just starting out at 30 is good and shes happy...She can only move up from this point! She's comfortable and shes surviving! She's is blessed BOTTOM LINE!! She just told me of a friend she has that recently graduated from Emory & was contemplating going to NY with her...he was offered 26 at the most having gone to a great school & coming out as an RN! Again shes blessed and comfortable...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

I am thinking of moving to Villa rica, douglasville, union city areas as a LPN what arethe job markets looking like?

florida10sun@yahoo.com in Columbus, Ohio

71 months ago

HERE IN COLUMBUS TH AVERAGE HOURLY RATE IS 22.00 AND IF YOU WORK THE NIGHT SHIFT THE DIFF IS MAYBE3.00/HR.
SO WHY WOULDN'T 30.00/HR TIMES 8=240./WK TIMES 5DAYS= 1200/WK TIMES 4WKS =4800. PER MONTH TIMES 12 MOS . NOW YOU FIGURE. THATS GREAT!
THAT IS COMFORTABLE AND THEN SOME. ARE YOU CRAZZZZZZZZIE???????

WHATS THE COST OF LIVING IN nyc??? NOW IF ONE LIVES UP TO EVERY PENNY THEN THATS ANOTHER STORY, BUT IF YOU ARE CAREFULL WITH YOUR MONEY YOU CAN INVEST INVES INVEST AND LIVE MEANINGFULLY.

71 months ago

SO LEN WHAT IS THE COST OF AVERAGE RENT AND PETRO FOR AUTO PER GALLON?
WHERE DO YOU WORK, HOSPITAL OF LTC OR REHB. WHAT IS YOU PATIENT/NURSE RATIO? ANSWER THAT FOR ME AND I WILL DO THE MATH, BECAUSE MAYBE I NEED TO MOVE TO NEW YORK

BuddhaNature

71 months ago

florida10sun@yahoo.com in Columbus, Ohio said: HERE IN COLUMBUS TH AVERAGE HOURLY RATE IS 22.00 AND IF YOU WORK THE NIGHT SHIFT THE DIFF IS MAYBE3.00/HR.
SO WHY WOULDN'T 30.00/HR TIMES 8=240./WK TIMES 5DAYS= 1200/WK TIMES 4WKS =4800. PER MONTH TIMES 12 MOS . NOW YOU FIGURE. THATS GREAT!
THAT IS COMFORTABLE AND THEN SOME. ARE YOU CRAZZZZZZZZIE???????

WHATS THE COST OF LIVING IN nyc??? NOW IF ONE LIVES UP TO EVERY PENNY THEN THATS ANOTHER STORY, BUT IF YOU ARE CAREFULL WITH YOUR MONEY YOU CAN INVEST INVES INVEST AND LIVE MEANINGFULLY.

New York is one of the most expensive places in the country to live. Your maath is correct,but what you stated is not take home pay.There is a site caled Citydata.com where you can get queestions about cost of living and what life in Nrew York City is like. You would need to be frugal to live off that income in New York City.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

I HAVE TO SAY TO BUDDANATURE, WE LPNS ARE VERY MUCH AWARE OF THE PHYSICAL NATURE OF NURSING IN LIFTING AND SO FORTH. BUT AFTER AWHILE IT TAKES A TOTAL TOLL ON THE BODY AND YOU KNOW THAT. SO I WOULD APPRECIATE THAT YOU RECOGNIZE THAT. WE STARTED WHEN WE WERE YOUNG WOMEN AND HAVING CHILDREN RAISING CHILDREN AND HUSBAND AND FAMILIES.
WE STAND FOR MANY HOURS MAINTAING PATIENT CARE, DOCUMENTATION, AND COVERING OUR ------ because if you make a mistake because you're over cautious and some nurses don't believe in TEAMWORK AND HELPING THAT NURSE. SO IF A NURSE SAYS, I HAVE BEEN AN LPN AND I NEED TO MOVE UP THE LATTER THEN THE RN DEGREE IS NEXT AND THE OPPORTUNITY IS OPEN NOT JUST PATIENT CARE, BUT IN ALL AREAS. SO IFYOU ARE COMFORTABLE WITH YOUR $$$$$$$$$$ THEN SO BE IT. WE ARE HAPPY FOR YOU.
REMEMBER MONEY IS IMPORTANT, BUT NURSING IS NOT ABOUT THE MONEY. REGARDLESS TO WHAT YOU MAKE YOU CAN MAKE THAT LITTLE AMOUNT OF MONEY WORK AND STRIVE AHEAD.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jetsmom.... in Atlanta, Georgia

71 months ago

florida10sun@yahoo.com in Columbus, Ohio said: I HAVE TO SAY TO BUDDANATURE, WE LPNS ARE VERY MUCH AWARE OF THE PHYSICAL NATURE OF NURSING IN LIFTING AND SO FORTH. BUT AFTER AWHILE IT TAKES A TOTAL TOLL ON THE BODY AND YOU KNOW THAT. SO I WOULD APPRECIATE THAT YOU RECOGNIZE THAT. WE STARTED WHEN WE WERE YOUNG WOMEN AND HAVING CHILDREN RAISING CHILDREN AND HUSBAND AND FAMILIES.
WE STAND FOR MANY HOURS MAINTAING PATIENT CARE, DOCUMENTATION, AND COVERING OUR ------ because if you make a mistake because you're over cautious and some nurses don't believe in TEAMWORK AND HELPING THAT NURSE. SO IF A NURSE SAYS, I HAVE BEEN AN LPN AND I NEED TO MOVE UP THE LATTER THEN THE RN DEGREE IS NEXT AND THE OPPORTUNITY IS OPEN NOT JUST PATIENT CARE, BUT IN ALL AREAS. SO IFYOU ARE COMFORTABLE WITH YOUR $$$$$$$$$$ THEN SO BE IT. WE ARE HAPPY FOR YOU.
REMEMBER MONEY IS IMPORTANT, BUT NURSING IS NOT ABOUT THE MONEY. REGARDLESS TO WHAT YOU MAKE YOU CAN MAKE THAT LITTLE AMOUNT OF MONEY WORK AND STRIVE AHEAD.

Exactly... Someone with some sense...thank you! Theres nothing wrong with LPN's, that will be my stepping stone into the nursing field...But believe me after maybe 6 months to a year I'm going back to school to finish & become an RN....WHY NOT..The sky is the limit..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

I have never really had an interest in continuing for the Rn track,
i have found being an lpn just as rewarding without the added stress..I have continued in school getting my certifications in ekg, phletbotomy and BLCS, i have worked as an ekg technician, phlebotomist and now i am taking classes for medical billing and coding certification.so when i retire i can do something from home....if you're not one to stay in just one profession your whole life ..yes the opportunities are endless what you can add to your nursing profile and you're not limited to what you can do..I just don't like when one asks if i am an lpn or an rn..a nurse is a nurse , one with a little more scope ..but the principle is the same ....quality patient care....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

BuddhaNature

71 months ago

Not quite sure where this is coming from,but I am a LPN,who wants to get an RN. However, I firmly believe it is important to appreciate what you have now. Take a look around you,many do not have jobs,due to the recession,and would kill to make the money we LPNS make. I have been a LPN a long time,I know all about the lack of teamwork. I mentioned this before,if no teamwork,not enough staff,I will not participate in lifting someone unsafely. I have never been reported for doing this,because the person(s) knew they were wrong according to policy,they could have caused injury to not only themselves but the patient in unsafe lifting.If one thing administration will back you up on is keeping your patients safe. So my body is not broken down from the physical stuff. At the end of my shift, I am tired,stressed like anyone else. Yes, I want that RN for the same reasons you do,but it is unrealistic to think you will come out of school and be immediately qualified to get a position where the demands are less physical. Now with experience certifications,a BSN,and maybe you may even need a Masters degree you can get those better positions out there,more away from the bedside. If you know different,than let me know. Only thing that gets better after RN school is the money. I find allnurses.com a very useful site to find out what life is like for real world RNS, just starting out,and those with more education, beyond ADN.

jetsmom.... in Atlanta, Georgia

71 months ago

I will HAVE to disagree...I have a host of family and friends who are current RN's. Some doing as I will--doing the lpn thing first then going RN..But most going to a four year college, graduating and having a numerous amount of offers when they finish.Just recently a friend of mine graduated from highly prestigous college here in atlanta and even in this RECESSION he had 5 GREAT offers...No hands on experience only 4 years of dedication & hard work in school..So it is realistic...Allnurses.com i bet is a good source but when firsthand information is available I find that most useful...

71 months ago

no one says anyone HAS to be an RN to be successful..it all boils down to personal satisfaction and personal choice...

BuddhaNature

71 months ago

GEEZ, if you reread my post I never said a newly graduated RN could not find a job in this recession. Though the truth is that newly graduated RNS are having a tougher time securing jobs. I said if you plan to get away from the physical stuff a BSN and above is nee3ded,along with experience. Your friend with the BSN got five great offers,but because this is a new grad I bet these positions still require a lot of patient contact,physical and otherwise. I doubt if as a newly minted RN she or he moved directly into management. You were not specific about what these 5 positions are that were offered.Also my opinion is based on seeing firsthand what is going on now,in nursing being verified by seeing what is happening to RNS around me in real life. Allnurses.com just mirrors and further verfies for me,what I have already seen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

BuddhaNature

71 months ago

Now everyone has been playing nice,let's keep it that way, cuz it is nice to be able to dialogue with other nurses and see what is going on around the country. If things get a bit off topic,that's okay too,as the enviornment is relaxed. Like you said, it's not that serious,'' so we don't need the forum police up in here,now do we ? With that said,may the sun continue to shine brightly on you and yours.

mumford in Buffalo, New York

70 months ago

I'm in school for my lpn and its a lot of jobs here in buffalo ny for lpn and rn and lpn are starting off at $20/hour.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.