newly grad LPN 2006

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (40)

star in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

97 months ago

i just graduated 5/2006 i can not find a job everyone want 6mos of experience. how can i get experience if no one will hire me. i have 16year of life experience b/c my son was a preemie. i can change g and j tubes via pump or gravity, give injections and meds,perform assessments,rom,dsg change and bandages i did almost everything within the scope of practice as an LPN. i live in phila pa. please HELP

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Maribel in Clarkdale, Georgia

95 months ago

Home Health has changed a bit since the 80's and 90's. They are allowing more and more LPN's in home health. I don't know if Maxim Home Health exists where you are at, but they are in many states. Try home health if a hospital doesnt give you the opportunity you want first.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Crystal in Cordova, Tennessee

93 months ago

I am having the same problem. I graduated in August, received my license in mid October, and have yet to find a job. I have applied every where, went on interviews, and still nothing. Staffing agencies are not even helping me because I do not have experience. I am close to 1/2 a year with a license. As much as I truely want to help people, I have started thinking of maybe another career. I am sick of working at a dead end job making nothing with a nursing license. I have talked to nurses and radiologists at hospitals who cannot believe that companies are requiring experience, saying we are hurting so bad for nurses we need them.
A coworker gave me her mantra: It has got to get better. I just repeat it everyday and sometimes multiple times per day, cause girl it has got to get bettter!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Michele in San Antonio, Texas

93 months ago

A friend of mine is a LVN and she started working in a long term care facility (nursing home). Maybe check that out. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Maribel in Atlanta, Georgia

93 months ago

Nursing home maybe the way you may need to go and some of them may want experience also, but please don't give up hope, keep using every available resource. I wish you both the best!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Debbie in Hampton, Virginia

93 months ago

I started out in Assisted Living. I have tried skilled nursing, but have come back to Assisted Living. If you enjoy working with the elderly, you can try AL. There seems to be a lot of opportunities for this line of work. Good Luck!

Bruce,L.V.N. in San Diego, California

90 months ago

star in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: i just graduated 5/2006 i can not find a job everyone want 6mos of experience. how can i get experience if no one will hire me. i have 16year of life experience b/c my son was a preemie. i can change g and j tubes via pump or gravity, give injections and meds,perform assessments,rom,dsg change and bandages i did almost everything within the scope of practice as an LPN. i live in phila pa. please HELP

Maybe try the Va hospitals in Philly, Coatsville,Pa near Downingtown, and Wilmington,Delaware. I had the same problem and I had to relocate to the West coast. The weather is better. If the Va's don't work out, you may try private-duty, since you have experience with one on one care with your son. I hope you success in your endeavors.

kim in Centreville, Virginia

88 months ago

i'm in same boat, guys. i graduated 8/2006, but i still got nothing. they want 1 year experience even a small Dr's office. where should i go...i'm so upset.
please help me.

Bruce, LVN in San Diego, California

88 months ago

kim in Centreville, Virginia said: i'm in same boat, guys. i graduated 8/2006, but i still got nothing. they want 1 year experience even a small Dr's office. where should i go...i'm so upset.
please help me.

Keep your head up and don't give up because success is right around the corner. I suggest trying City, State, and Federal jobs. Places like Va Hospital's, military hospital's and City and County Health Center's, they usually accept new grad's and it has some good benefit's. My first job was working in a Psychiatric facility and it got me in the door in nursing. So keep on moving forward and a door willopen up soon. God Bless!

kim in Centreville, Virginia

88 months ago

Thank you, Bruce. It helps me to keep my head up and I've found 2 jobs from city and county health centers. Thanks bunch!! Kim

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bruce,LVN in San Diego, California

88 months ago

Hey Kim,
That's wonderful news and I hope you continue on your nursing journey with great success. I am glad that the info worked out for you. That type of job, you can make a career of, so stay focus and everything will work out. God Bless!

STEFANIE L. SILVA, LPN

88 months ago

star in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: i just graduated 5/2006 i can not find a job everyone want 6mos of experience. how can i get experience if no one will hire me. i have 16year of life experience b/c my son was a preemie. i can change g and j tubes via pump or gravity, give injections and meds,perform assessments,rom,dsg change and bandages i did almost everything within the scope of practice as an LPN. i live in phila pa. please HELP

Did you try looking online? I am relocating from MA to NC and have found alot more online than I did in their local newspaper. I agree with you, alot of places require 6 mos. experience and you're right, how are we supposed to get jobs with experience as new grads

wanda in Rockingham, North Carolina

85 months ago

I am waiting on my license as soon as I get my fingerprints back but does anyone know if you can get hired as a graduate nurse and if passed the nclex already or do you have to wait until you are licensed.

Mary Tilley in Columbia, Maryland

84 months ago

Uh, I'm in the process of just going to school for my LPN and with all the comments here I'm not sure if I want to do it if I can't find a position after working so hard for licensing. What gives? Why is it so difficult to get a job as a nurse when all I ever hear about are nursing shortages. I don't think employers have much room to indicate that one needs a years experience! I think they should at the very least give someone a try and if it doesn't work out, then they can move on to the next candidate. Geez, just when I thought I had found something I was going to be great at as I love helping people and get a job, a career.

jonesygirl9 in Kagel Canyon, California

81 months ago

I share everyone's frustration on this site...but we must press on and make it happen!! Don't give up hope...eventually the universe will send the right job your way, don't be discouraged...I agree that Long Term Care is probably the place to start...but don't forget diet clinics, county faciliities, home care, hospice, teaching, private duty...heck, out here in Southern California, they even have on-set nurses on movie sets....glamorous, eh?? I would love to work on a movie and have to give CPR to Brad Pitt!

Joan Johnson in Troy, New York

78 months ago

I received my license last October 2007 and I have yet to find employment as an LPN. I have applied to approximately 10 or more facilities, including hospitals and nursing homes. I am very discouraged. A CNA can find a job with ease, so why not an LPN? I just don't understand it! I am 40 years old, a single mom with three children to support and a rent of 1,000. a month. I am getting quite desperate to get back to work. Where is the "so-called" nursing shortage? I am about ready to throw in the license and get two jobs at the local supermarket and McDonalds. This is ridiculous!

shug19013 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

78 months ago

U might want to try looking in the state of DE and NJ. That's how I got my first nursing job.

Twohns

78 months ago

I am having the same problem...Just got licensed in Feb08, can't fing anything! Noone will give me a chance. Have been a CMA 15 yrs, have done feeding tubes, inj, worked with some RN's with IVs, sent my resume out and no responses.
Very discouraged!

78 months ago

Twohns ~ Keep trying and if you have to, review your resume' and cover letter. I am still without work, but have been told that by a nursing facility here that I am to start on May 26th. I have been waiting to start for over a month now, but something always seems to come up. Letz just hope nothing else comes up. LOL! You are newly licensed, just keep trying and with your 15 years of experience, you shouldn't have as much trouble as I had looking for employment. Are you in the country or the city?

Twohns

78 months ago

Thanks for your quick response and support! I've got this far and I'm not gonna give up now. Wanna get something before I start my RN program in Jan. 09. I live in the suburbs in Medford, NJ and today I'm goona make some calls where I've put my resume in.
Let me know how things go with your new position when you start. There's sew much talk bout the shortage, you would think they would make accomodations for you to get on board for them. Guess it's more involved then we know. Like making accomodations to get a preceptor & all that. Once again, let me know how things go.

Thanks, God bless,
elana

78 months ago

I hear ya about the shortage ~ Itz beyond me. I also want experience in the LPN field before I go back for my RN, but with finances right now and raising three children alone, it is going to be hard.

I will keep you posted ~ you do likewise.

Joan

Patricia Koon in Baltimore, Maryland

76 months ago

I hear everyone on this website because i feel the same way. I have been licensed since May 2008 and i have found nothing. I put in applications and sent out resumes to different places and all i keep hearing is "Were not hiring new grads at this time." I mean like you guys said where is the nursing shortage. I'm beginning to think that the nursing shortage only applies to RN's and that's it. I see all the time new grad RN's accepted in the newspapers and online but what about the LPN's. Why make a LPN program if you can't find a job. I moved back up to Maryland from Florida and it is harder to get a job up here than it is in Florida. Most of my classmates have jobs and have been working for awhile now I just don't understand. Please HELP!!

Kathy in Warwick, Rhode Island

76 months ago

I am an LPN in a psychiatric hospital in RI- graduated last summer 2007. Most LPN positions here in RI are for nursing homes or assisted living. I also find that alot of agencies will hire LPNs, but almost all of the hospitals want RNs. Check out websites such as Favorite Staffing, Interim Health Care, Beyond.com. Indeed Job Alert, etc. Good Luck!

76 months ago

Well, I've been in school for about 6 months now and I've heard rumor that it is going to be near darned difficult to get on the first round of waiting lists for the following fall for the RN program! So, in light of that, I decided I'd take the LPN route and then from there (regardless of whether I find a job or not), I am going to look to see if there are any schools without waiting lists and I see now that there are a few around the Maryland area which is where I live (by the way, I can't stand this state and will hopefully be getting the heck out of here soon!). Or another option too for all those with LPN certificates, I believe you can go online and apply for a LPN bridge program and get your RN that way...not really sure though. Also, if you're having a problem finding an LPN job, try getting just a job as a medical assitant...since this would be a great way to get your feet in the medical field. Perhaps, even volunteer if you have the funds and continue on with the RN. Just a thought. I also agree with Patricia...I get that. I am from Florida and lived in Georgia as well and if you go on Monster.com, you will see there are several positions in the southern states. It's amazing.

76 months ago

By the way, I've heard that some RN's are having just as much trouble because they have no experience! Interesting. That's why I think taking small steps, ie...volunteering with your LPN license or working at a doctors office while you are finishing up you RN, will look much better to prospective employers than if you had no experience whatsoever. It is what it is and while I disagree with it and honestly have no idea why I still hear complaints about the nursing shortage, I think this may be a better route. By the way, if you're an RN already or know of one ask them what the heck does it take and also tell them if they are complaining about the extra workload that those of us who are going to get their LPN's or who luckily already have finished, ask them to quit complaining and do something about it. Tell human resources to get some help on board!

Kelly Shifflett in Newington, Virginia

76 months ago

I'm a credentialing clerk for crassociates. It depends on where you're located, but some of our contracts don't require a lot of experience if you're just out of school. We hire through out the country too for VA clinics and military bases. It wouldn't hurt for any of you to send in your resume. You can go to www.crassoc.com or www.tcmpjobs.com . HTH

Mary in Lakeland, Florida

76 months ago

I am a little skeptical about going into an LPN program myself. I am starting the program next January but I am going through a one month CNA course in August first, just so I can start working in the field while I work towards my LPN license. I am choosing this route because if I go straight through an RN program, I will not have any experience and it takes forever to get through the program and get your degree. At least this way I will have a job that pays better than what I am making now, doing something that I really want to do instead of hating it, like I do now, and I would be able to take my career step by step. So I am going for it. I would make it clear that I will begin to pay my student loan back when I land a job. If there are still LPN programs, and they continue, knowing that it is a fraud, then it is their fault for offering a program, with the knowledge that jobs are being phased out.
I do live in Florida, and I see lots of LPN jobs online. My sister is an RN and she was not an LPN first, and she had no trouble at all getting a job at Sarasota Memorial Hospital. Maybe it is easier in the southern states. I don't understand why, since the "so-called" nursing shortage is throughout the country.
Anyway, good luck everyone. Apply at 50 places or more if you have to. I don't understand why they came up with all these different positions, like medical assistant, patient care tech, etc. Why not just LPN with all the new technology and skills added to that title? Perhaps it is because the MA will work for cheaper pay? Why not just LPN, RN, PA, and MD? I guess I sound old fashioned.

76 months ago

Hello Mary from Mary!
I used to live in Lakeland, Florida! In fact, that is where I grew up. I don't think you're old fashioned and I think it is a great idea to get your LPN first as you get to work as one first and then build experience. You have to walk before you strut and you have all these graduates coming out of RN school with NO experience except for their clinicals and they have bad attitudes and a lot of them are scared to death because they never really WORKED for real in a real setting and was responsible for others (other than in clinicals where you have someone else who is watching out for you all the time). I think becoming an LPN before becoming an RN gives a person some insight as to what they are going to be getting themselves in to. It's not a pleasant job like people think it is. It's work and it's hard long working hours. So, once an LPN perhaps someone might choose to stay an LPN, especially after seeing that RN's (although raised to "glorified" status most of the time) are pretty stressed out most of the time and for what? Extra money? It really comes down to what's good for the individual. Imagine going through RN school and then come out only to find you don't really like it? What a waste of money and time! At least if you become an LPN and you're able to work in a medical environment and get the feel for what it will truly be like, then you can make a better judgement call. That's my two cents.
By the way, my sister graduated at Travis Vo Tech and it only took her 9 months! Then she became an LPN and remained one for 4 years, building experience as she went along. She wanted more money, sure, but her main priority and goal was to get that experience. Well. Now she's an RN and on her way to Nurse Practioner! All from building experience. I think too many people want to swim before they walk and I think it's a crazy way to go. That's only my opinion though. ;)

Twohns

76 months ago

Yeah, it would be great to make the medical field of Nursing so easy, but a lass, not true!. I was a Certified Medical Assist. for 13-15 yrs and now am an LPN. I did obtain a job a a Assist. Living/Acute care facility. They got me in the acute care wing which is great. Godd experience with trach, peg tubes, wounds. It's 3-11 to start and probably the 11-7 shift ultimately, but who cares. Just starting out for any kind of experience.

But the thing is, is that they are really lax here. Gotta watch myself, they take too many shortcuts and bad habits. Also, many mistakes in new MAR's coming in for the new month when they transfer new/existing orders. Also, there is no real DON, just an Assist. DON and the Administrator. The administrator wants to control everything. Scares every DON new coming on board so they leave.

elana

Presley Elvis in New Hill, North Carolina

76 months ago

The recent increase in contract for hire/temp jobs is quite alarming. Although, temps have always had a useful place in the business cycle, the recent increase with larger companies to find contract employees/temporary help is just a scam to avoid the ever increasing cost of HR and health care. It is cheaper for companies such as Wachovia to hire a temp and pay the temp agency over 15% above the employee rate for the simple savings in retirement, health, and all other HR related problems. The larger companies such as Wachovia even have gone so far as to hire their own temp agency. At some point there will be a backlash. Perhaps not. They will be able to continue to backdoor the system avoid paying the HR and Legal fees connected to firing a full-time employee. In the future, I will be organizing a union or a movement to picket congress for some help. Anyone interested please respond. If you are a contract for hire or temp, you are being used. Take a stand. Lets unionize, fight with Congress, and go to battle with these giant companies.

Mary in Lakeland, Florida

75 months ago

Hi Mary,

Small world. I have a few friends that have gone to Traviss. It is a good school. I have been going to PCC for credit classes (Pre-requesites)towards a degree later on and it is actually a good community college also. How do you like Maryland? I don't want to live here forever but it's not bad here. Just want a change of scenery I guess. Been here too long. I actually like colder weather. I hate the summers here, they are scorching hot. My fiancee is from Boston, but it is so expensive to live in MA. Thanks for your input about being an LPN first. I figured it doesn't take too long, so I might as well get the experience first and see how I like it.
I have a friend who is going into the cardiovascular program next year and she was able to shadow an open heart surgery and a catheter procedure and she said she felt sick and had to walk out the first time. She is still going to go through with it. I'm not so sure what my stomach can handle, I have often wondered if I am tough enough to endure some of the stuff you may see, but I guess that is a typical concern. As far as the money goes, LPN's get paid well here. I see anywhere from $16.00 to $19.00 an hour in the area and I know someone who is an LPN working for a doctor in Lakeland who is getting paid $22.00 an hour. Not too shabby - minus the workload of an RN. Sorry it took me so long to respond, somehow I overlooked this email and came across it today as I was deleting several old messages. Chat later!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Hi Mary from Mary from Maryland!

I like Maryland, it is ok. I suppose I shouldn't complain but sometimes it gets hotter here than it does there, in fact, it is much hotter here this summer than it is in Florida...the only difference I think is that it is so much more humid there...I suppose if it can get to you...not good for breathing that's for sure. I used to get Bronchitis every year I lived there so since I've moved north, no more sickness! I do love Clearwater Beach, Florida but there's not a lot in the way of jobs unless, of course, you're in the heatlhcare industry. The cold here is nice but it has it's downfalls too. I'm northern born but southern raised and so I was used to the heat, I'm not too sure I could deal with it like I used to...but we'll see what older age and the cold does to my bones later! I may as well be back in Florida some day if that happens! 22.00 per hour! Geez, I've heard of RN's here working at John Hopkins starting out around 28.00 so NO absolutely not! That is awesome money for less what a nurse has to put up with. Here's the thing. In Maryland, they want you to be "above average" intellectually in order for you to be accepted into a nursing program around here (especially at John Hopkins...go look at their sight...they use the words "intellectually above average" right on the front page! How insulting is that?! I've met many a nurse with the brain of a fly and no bedside manner to speak of too! I'd much rather have a nurse who is taking care of me to be able to say to me, "Hey, you know, I don't know what this or that is...I'll ask the doctor and get back with you." and I'd like that nurse to do it in a postive manner that is uplifting and respectful. You don't get that much here in Maryland, I'm not sure about down south as I can't remember the last time I was in a hospital there. It's dumbfounding and unbelievable the amount of crap a nurse has to put up with and for what? That's why LPN is the best way to go! Best wishes! Ma

Blake Wright

74 months ago

I totally agree. I worked for Panasonic in Ga. through Talent Tree temp agency. I worked temp for 3 years never got hired.Panasonic layed me off after 3 years and then told the umemployment office when I tried to collect umemployment, that I left for a better assignment which was not true. Talent Tree and Panasonic were in this scam together. There needs to be unions in place and laws passed so this kind of thing never happens again.

godson in Jersey City, New Jersey

61 months ago

Maribel in Clarkdale, Georgia said: Home Health has changed a bit since the 80's and 90's. They are allowing more and more LPN's in home health. I don't know if Maxim Home Health exists where you are at, but they are in many states. Try home health if a hospital doesnt give you the opportunity you want first.

IM A MALE, CONSIDERING ENTERING AN LPN PROGRAM,I LIKE WORKING WITH THE PUBLIC BUT HAVE A BAD BACK, AFRAID OF INJURING IT AGAIN.COULD YOU FOLKS SHARE YOUR OPINIONS AND EXPERIENCES AS LPNS, AND GIVE YOUR OPINIONS REGARDING THE LIFTING ,ETC.. I CANT AFFORD TO WASTE ANY TIME OR MONEY. thanks alot!!!

joblessjenn in Front Royal, Virginia

56 months ago

Graduated August 2009. Countless interviews but no exp. Can someone tell me what is going on?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cierra Bangura in Lanham, Maryland

56 months ago

I feel everyones pain as well....I graduated from LPN school in June 2009 and Pass the Board July 2009 and still no luck not even and interview....I want to get back into nursing but employers aren't giving the New Grad LPN's a chance...I have experience at home 5 lil boys twins and one of my son is severely Developmental Delays seizures Cerebreal palsy and 4 of my children are Asthmatic....so I give them meds and treatments...........What should I do?????

Shirley in Purvis, Mississippi

56 months ago

I have been a LPN for 24 years. The jobs are out there. Join your states LPN Association. State hospitals and nursing homes are always looking for new blood. I have worked in all aspects of nursing, my chosen field is corrections. Prisons need nursing staff. Nursing homes is good experience, so is rehab centers!
Don't wait on an ad in a paper, go to the hospital websites, they usually have job openings on-line. Keep up the hunt. Volunteerism is a conduit to a job! It is worth the time. My LPN license has fed my family well in the past 24 years!

Cierra Bangura in Lanham, Maryland

56 months ago

Shirley in Purvis, Mississippi said: I have been a LPN for 24 years. The jobs are out there. Join your states LPN Association. State hospitals and nursing homes are always looking for new blood. I have worked in all aspects of nursing, my chosen field is corrections. Prisons need nursing staff. Nursing homes is good experience, so is rehab centers!
Don't wait on an ad in a paper, go to the hospital websites, they usually have job openings on-line. Keep up the hunt. Volunteerism is a conduit to a job! It is worth the time. My LPN license has fed my family well in the past 24 years!

I get what your saying I tried all of this but have gotten the same answer you need one yr experience for this position..and yes there are a great deal of career opportunities but I keep getting the same answer. I even tried prison still the same answer...That is so good you have been an LPN for 24 years I wish I could borrow just 1 of your years as LPN lol

gina lebrun

54 months ago

Kathy in Warwick, Rhode Island said: I am an LPN in a psychiatric hospital in RI- graduated last summer 2007. Most LPN positions here in RI are for nursing homes or assisted living. I also find that alot of agencies will hire LPNs, but almost all of the hospitals want RNs. Check out websites such as Favorite Staffing, Interim Health Care, Beyond.com. Indeed Job Alert, etc. Good Luck!

Hi what hospital do you work in . i just graduated as an LPN also.

lindas_99 in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

54 months ago

Go to the long term facility. They will orient you for a couple of days. They are also desperate, due to the turnover. You will see. Sorry, that is just the way it is.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.