Are there any lpn that are in home health?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

CNA in Memphis, Tennessee

66 months ago

I was wondering if there are any LPN's out there that are in home health care, and if so do you like it? Which side of nursing do you like best and why? Do you feel like you made the right decision by becoming a nurse? Or do sometimes you regret your decision by becoming a nurse?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BuddhaNature in Collingswood, New Jersey

66 months ago

I love nursing.That being said, after many years as a nurse,I have had times when I wish I were doing something else.Those times arose because as will happen at times,I was having a really, really hellish shift.Other times was when what I was doing was not a good match for me.I have found that for me,true happi- ness in nursing,is finding a niche in it that you love and go for it. If you love nursing,then within your scope of practice,CNA,LPN,RN,you should love what you are doing,when you go to work, then I feel that makes for true career satisfaction.
I have found my niche in home health care. I love having the time to actually give individualized care, working independently and making decisions. Also, I can pick and choose my cases,and have more control over my shedule. I feel I am in a more supportive enviornment when it comes to case managers and RN case supervisors. Less, I paint you too rosy of a picture there are drawbacks.The draw- backs of home care are nothing compared to having worked in other settings that are horrendous,with large patient to nurse ratios,and all the associated responsibilities that come along with such positions.
You need to pay your dues before tackling home care. It is important you have at least one year experience of nursing.This is what most homecare agencies ask for because you must be capable of making good nursing decisions when you are with your client. You need to know when to call 911 or other more simple medical interventions,since you are in the client's home with no one to ask or help when sudden emergencies arise,and immediate decisions are needed.If you do find an agency that hires you straight out of school, then I you should only choose basic cases that do not require you have a whole bag of nursing skills. I suggest you work homecare part time while concurrently working in more of a clini- cal setting so you can gain experience in using your nursing skills,Also build up assessment skills,attend inservices.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

BuddhaNature, Thank you for taking the time to answering my questions. Your response is very detailed and informative. I am presently an CNA thinking about taking the next step either LPN or RN, what's your suggestion? I have a friend that was a RN, until she decided to go into her own business. She did home health and she said she loved doing home health because you get to build a special relationship with the patients.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

BuddhaNature in Collingswood, New Jersey

66 months ago

My suggestion is do not get caught up in that debate over LPN vs RN,and which is better. Take a good look at your life and circumstances,and have an idea of what your ultimate goals are in nursing. If you are in a position to go to RN school, and it matches your personal goals than go. For me,I want my RN,because I wish to work in critical care,/ER,and also be able to move laterally in other positions,if need be should I become burnt out or aged out,I still will find a niche in nursing,as shecdules,become even more flexible,and many more postions not available to LPNS will become to me with an RN.The monetary incentive is also there,but not the sole factor, it is coupled with all the things I have aforementioned ,along with I love to learn.I suggest you spend some time on the site,allnurses.com. It has forums for CNA, student nurses,all the way up to advanced practice nurses. You are not limited to just the CNA forum,so go in read take a look around and pose some questions if you like.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

I agree, it does depend on your life style, goals and fianaces; on which program will work best for you. You have been helpful in me making a decision, also thanks for the website I will check it out. I wish you much success in you career. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

amikan76 in Orlando, Florida

25 months ago

Do LPN's have any scope for jobs in India

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.