Getting a lab technician job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Host

How did you get your start doing lab technician work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

daniel.goodwin13 in San Luis Obispo, California

68 months ago

I have 6 years lab experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

joneselaine1617@yahoo.com in Miami, Florida

58 months ago

I was a lab technician for 5 years for division of pari mutel wagering testing urine and blood samples for the horse tracks, I also was a animal care technician manager for wilder company for 2 years. I also have 6 months experience as a lab helper. I also clean and sterilize instruments and materials and maintain equipment and machines.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Marilyn Baker in League City, Texas

53 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing lab technician work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

I worked in Exxon lab for 8 years and Union Carbide/Dow lab for 7 years. There are lab training schools that teach the required skills. Most industrial companies want people with a two year technical degree. Lots of math and chemistry classes can also give you an edge. I have know several people that got operator jobs at companies that allow operators to laboratory testing, that is a way into lab work also. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lorelei in Davis, California

30 months ago

YEARS of experience.....I think the original question was how did you get IN in the first place? Telling us you have to have years of experience to even get the ENTRY LEVEL lab tech position is disheartening. It would make science majors want to drop out of college and kill themselves. It sure as heck makes me wonder why I bothered getting my bachelor's in Biology straight out of high school - went to college because no one would hire me in any kind of McJob.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Alketa sallaku in Tirana, Albania

25 months ago

hi...i am from albania...i have studied for 3 yars lab technician...i am newly graduated but this 3 years i have practecated this profession in different labs in Tirana and in hospitals ....i know a lot of technics...i have study the oldest technics and the
contemporary too.....hope to have an answer !! thank u

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

notjustalabtech in California

14 months ago

I wrote a blog post on how to look for a job as a lab technician. This advice is geared towards those with entry level experience.

www.yeahscience.org/2013/06/so-youre-recent-grad-looking-for-career.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.