What do you enjoy most about your laundry attendant career?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

What do you enjoy most about being a laundry attendant? What do you dislike the most? Is it challenging? Are there many opportunities to learn and advance?

What keeps you at your job?

Reply - Report abuse

Sean in Los Angeles, California

52 months ago

Being my own boss. No longer having to deal with 20 something year old supervisors trying to prove themselves to managers by ordering you around every 5 minutes, and having to adjust to several different employee working styles and personalities.Also having 100% support from the owners of my laundrymat that whatever decision i make it stands period.I don't have to be worry that as soon as they are in front of the customer that i will automaticaly be overruled.I have seen so much of that done to others over my working lifetime. Soon as a customer says something, managers buckle under the pressure. But not my owners, and it's worked out well over the last 8 years so far. If they didn't, it would just create more problems when that particular customer returns again. I might be wrong about something but i'm never overruled in front of the customer, never! Plus i've never had to worry about hours being cut.On other large chain store jobs i've had, the only people who got the full 40 + hours were the sups & managers.Everyone else was subject to having to go home anytime sales were slow.They would often pull the stunt of hiring more employees when the current staff were begging for a full 40 hour work week so we could afford some of the wonderful benefits that the company was offering such as medical,dental etc.Hours always hovered around 35 or 36 a week and suprise! A new co-worker that we have to train.How can we take advantage of the benefits when we can't get a full work week worth of pay?At the laundrymat i've had no such problems and it's been the most stable working position in my life so far.I'm independent,stable and free to run it as i please. Like my owners said, you run the place.We'll pay you well, but i have more important business matters to attend to.I've got a flight booked on Korean Air and i don't want to hear about some lady clothes which are dirty after the cycle was over because she hasn't washed in 30 waiting for an assistance check.You handle it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sean in Los Angeles, California

52 months ago

Being my own boss. No longer having to deal with 20 something year old supervisors trying to prove themselves to managers by ordering you around every 5 minutes, and having to adjust to several different employee working styles and personalities.Also having 100% support from the owners of my laundrymat that whatever decision i make it stands period.I don't have to be worry that as soon as they are in front of the customer that i will automaticaly be overruled.I have seen so much of that done to others over my working lifetime. Soon as a customer says something, managers buckle under the pressure. But not my owners, and it's worked out well over the last 8 years so far. If they didn't, it would just create more problems when that particular customer returns again. I might be wrong about something but i'm never overruled in front of the customer, never! Plus i've never had to worry about hours being cut.On other large chain store jobs i've had, the only people who got the full 40 + hours were the sups & managers.Everyone else was subject to having to go home anytime sales were slow.They would often pull the stunt of hiring more employees when the current staff were begging for a full 40 hour work week so we could afford some of the wonderful benefits that the company was offering such as medical,dental etc.Hours always hovered around 35 or 36 a week and suprise! A new co-worker that we have to train.How can we take advantage of the benefits when we can't get a full work week worth of pay?At the laundrymat i've had no such problems and it's been the most stable working position in my life so far.I'm independent,stable & free to run it as i please. Like my owners said, you run the place.We'll pay you well, but i have more important business matters to attend to.I've got a flight booked on Korean Air and i don't want to hear about some ladys clothes which are dirty after the cycle was over because she hasn't washed in 30 days waiting for an assistance check.You handle it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Glorai Rosas in Sunnyvale, California

7 months ago

I am a 67 year old women that worked just all my life and I loved working with Plastics. working with P.C,Boards and cleaning houses. working with hotels in san jose and Sunnyvale ca.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.