Getting a Law Enforcement Officer job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

How did you get your start doing Law Enforcement Officer work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Davis in Maywood, Illinois

63 months ago

I have worked in security for a number of years. and I am now 43 yrs of age, with some college credits and I was wondering how can I still land a job in the criminal justice field. my previous employer don,t aloow employees to go back to school to pursue there passion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

medic in Lexington, North Carolina

55 months ago

at least 3 yrs military (any branch) is a good start for any HS grad..seeing as most PDs wont consider anyone under 21. so do 3 yr military serice, get out, use your GI bill to get a criminal justice degree. should set you up for a prime consideration when you apply for a job

Krutch in Grand Island, Nebraska

22 months ago

I have interviewed several officers and chiefs and sadly all do say that prior experience such as military and or further education is key in landing the law enforcement job. I, unfortunately, am a HS drop out that has some criminal history and am having troubles getting through the application processes.

Just a little preview of what they actually do look for: Golden age 25 - 35,
Previous college courses (doesn't have to be criminal justice but does help), Military experience, and actual police referrals do help as well.

It is tough but keep on trying, you will make it eventually.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.