What are the best library assistant qualifications and training to get ahead?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

What is the best training for becoming a library assistant? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective library assistant?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

Mallaig in Edinburgh, United Kingdom

87 months ago

Hi,
I am currently doing a HNC course in Library and Information Science at the Edinburgh's Telford College. It covers a wide range of subjects, from cataloguing, user service to Human Resource Management and Behavioural Science. II am studying the course by open learning so I am able to study around by other commitments

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Holiann in Satellite Provider

85 months ago

Which site can i visit for training as library assistant via distance learning

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

jmc in Ramona, California

56 months ago

In San Diego requirements for Library techs include thorough knowledge of many different computer systems, including Web 2.0. Databases, copy cataloging, and digital portfolios. Knowing how to mend, cover and repair materials may also be necessary.
I have a 4 year degree with a minor in psychology and a Library and Information Science certificate and library work is very difficult to find.
It takes much more than a high school diploma to get a job here and we have many MLS and MLIS applying for tech jobs so the competition is fierce!
I don't know about other parts of the country. Oh yes I also have over 15 years of library experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.