What do you enjoy most about your library assistant career?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Host

What do you enjoy most about being a library assistant? What do you dislike the most? Is it challenging? Are there many opportunities to learn and advance?

What keeps you at your job?

Reply - Report abuse

Mallaig in Edinburgh, United Kingdom

83 months ago

I enjoy the variety of the job - no day is the same. Working in a College library I find assisting users with their research/studies a rewarding part of the job. Also my institution is good at offering Staff Development opportunities to further my skills.
My least favourite part of the job is dealing with disgruntled library users! Thankfully it does not happen too often.
I have continued in library work due to my continuing interest in information management and the satisfaction of being able to assist users with their enquiries.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Crombo in Edinburgh, United Kingdom

83 months ago

Mallaig in Edinburgh, United Kingdom said: I enjoy the variety of the job - no day is the same. Working in a College library I find assisting users with their research/studies a rewarding part of the job. Also my institution is good at offering Staff Development opportunities to further my skills.
My least favourite part of the job is dealing with disgruntled library users! Thankfully it does not happen too often.
I have continued in library work due to my continuing interest in information management and the satisfaction of being able to assist users with their enquiries.

I agree with Mallaig that working in a College library, particularly FE, can be very different on a daily basis. You never quite know what sort of day you are going to have when you turn up for work. My least favourite part of the job is having to work on a Saturday when I would rather be at the football!
The challenge of helping students at all levels of abilities is actually a reward from being a Library Assistant.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mallaig in Edinburgh, United Kingdom

83 months ago

Crombo in Edinburgh, United Kingdom said: I agree with Mallaig that working in a College library, particularly FE, can be very different on a daily basis. You never quite know what sort of day you are going to have when you turn up for work. My least favourite part of the job is having to work on a Saturday when I would rather be at the football!
The challenge of helping students at all levels of abilities is actually a reward from being a Library Assistant.

I am glad you agree with me! There is nothing more satisfying when you have helped a student with an enquiry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

pradeep in Bombay, India

58 months ago

I am B.L.I.Sc. Student Searching Ass.Librsary job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ch55x in Johnson City, Tennessee

16 months ago

Dislikes: number of users (university), lack of movement without library science degree

I suppose low turnover with fair benefits is what keeps me here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.