Getting a licensed clinical social worker job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)


How did you get your start doing licensed clinical social worker work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Blanca Vargas in College Station, Texas

102 months ago

I would like to know how to start a career in clinical social worker . I am actually a social worker with an private agency in Gainesville, Florida and does not pay more than 28 thousand. Need to make more money. What degree do I need to have and what type of licences. I am certified with the Agency with persons with disability to be a Med waiver support coordinator.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Suzan Iwerks, LCSW

100 months ago

The first thing that each of these folks need to do is to familiarize themselves with the career they want to pursue. Particularly the inquirer who asked if there is a particular degree one needs. Clinical Social Work requires an Master's degree in Social Work from a CSWE approved school. (That is Council on Social Work Education.) After graduation, one must take an examination, and pass, to become a provisionally licensed social Worker. One must have supervision in an approved position for about two years; when all the requirements are met, then one is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker. Unfortunately there are those who think that all one needs is the desire to "help people." That is only the first requirement of many to make this your career. Learn which colleges and universities offer an accedited Master's in Social Work program. A Master's degree in other things is not appropriate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Suzan Iwerks, LCSW

100 months ago

Reji, I do not know about the certification process for a person with a degree from another country. I would suggest you contact the licensing board in the state you are in. If you are in South Carolina, I do not know where the board is located, but you could probably do a search on the internet search engine you have for SC Certification Board for Social Work. Then contact the board for your question about how to become certified in your state. Good luck with pursuing your certification.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary in Glen Allen, Virginia

95 months ago

I am a LCSW in the state of Virginia.I have 27 years of mental health experiance.I plan to move to Texas,Dallas Fort Worth area.Looking for a job,any thoughts???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.