What steps do I need to take next??? NJ LCSW

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Stumped in NJ in Ventnor City, New Jersey

35 months ago

Thanks to anyone who can help....I am a 43 year young non traditional student. I am in my Jr year, carrying a 3.91 and hoping to get accepted in to my schools accelerated BSW/MSW program. That wolud put me with a MSW in JUne 2014. I would like a Lcsw...What are the steps for that? Also, i would love to go into policy/advocacy, as well...Any suggestions///
Also, I need to start looking for private loans since My FA/GSL are just paying for school now....Do I keep investing in my future??? I would like to pusue my Doctorate , as well.??? Am i to driven??? Am I going to educate myself out of the field, because of my age???
any suggestions would help greatly....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Thinh LCSW-C in Baltimore, Maryland

30 months ago

When you get to your accelerated MSW program you will have to do one year of field placement. It's best for you to try and find a placement that you will have some opportunity to practice advocacy. Usually the justice system should have some nice fits for interning. In regards to your LCSW, depending on the state, you'll need to pass the LGSW test first after graduating, work a few years under a LCSW and then test again for the LCSW license. The Doctoral degree is a bit much and as far as I've seen it's really not that big of an upgrade over your MSW. Check your state regulations for what you need to do. As a Maryland Social worker, you can have 3 different Master's level licenses, LGSW, LCSW, and LCSW-C

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.