Courses needed

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Jessica in Parksville, British Columbia

83 months ago

Hi, I was just wondering do you have your Water Safety Instructor to get a lifeguarding job out there at all pools? Or is that only needed if you plan on teaching swimming classes. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Friendly Smile in Ottawa, Ontario

73 months ago

Hello Jessica,

I was a lifeguard in Vancouver, BC. Yes, you absolutely need WSI if you want to be hired. City pools like to utilize as many skills as possible from their staff. If you only have NLS, your abilities for anything else is too limiting. The more skill you have (ie aquafit, WSI, LSI, etc.) the better.

I know plenty of cities are desperate for aquafit instructors, you'll be hired in a snap with this additional certification.

In order to get the certification:

1. Take Fitness Theory Course (through BCRPA approved classes)
2. Complete the test (80% to pass)
3. Aquafitness module Course
4. Practicum Hours (8 recommended)
5. ICE (In-water test, evaluator comes to assess your class)

Lifeguards that work for the city (in the lower mainland) usually get paid approximately $18-22

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Chantelle in Maple Ridge, British Columbia

49 months ago

Friendly Smile in Ottawa, Ontario said: Hello Jessica,

I was a lifeguard in Vancouver, BC. Yes, you absolutely need WSI if you want to be hired. City pools like to utilize as many skills as possible from their staff. If you only have NLS, your abilities for anything else is too limiting. The more skill you have (ie aquafit, WSI, LSI, etc.) the better.

I know plenty of cities are desperate for aquafit instructors, you'll be hired in a snap with this additional certification.

In order to get the certification:

1. Take Fitness Theory Course (through BCRPA approved classes)
2. Complete the test (80% to pass)
3. Aquafitness module Course
4. Practicum Hours (8 recommended)
5. ICE (In-water test, evaluator comes to assess your class)

Lifeguards that work for the city (in the lower mainland) usually get paid approximately $18-22

HI there, i am very interested in becoming a aquafit instrustor, where do i start..... who do what facility do i call to take the courses... Chantelle

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Chantelle in Maple Ridge, British Columbia

49 months ago

i am very interested in becoming an Aquafit intructor, i want to take the necessary courses and i am not sure where to start, what schools offer it????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.