What are the best lifeguard qualifications and training to get ahead?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

What is the best training for becoming a lifeguard? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective lifeguard?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

reedy in Cricklade, United Kingdom

92 months ago

well i dont know what they are in the US but in the UK there are many couses avalabe but the best, and most recognised i the nation pool lifeguard qualification which consists of 37 hours training and covers all the arears about lifeguarding, i also costs £200! but its well worth it if you can get a job. we also do staff trainin which consists of 3 hours a month and focuses on things like CPR, spinal work, tows and equptment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Erik in California in Twentynine Palms, California

92 months ago

I am a lifeguard of 5 years and a Pool Manager. In the U.S. specificly Texas and California you have to obtain an American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification and it cost about $320 for the whole couse with cpr, first aid, oxygen administration, and aed. and the other Certification is USA Pools and i dont know much about then or there price i have only hired one person with that certification.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jo Bard in Tampa, Florida

88 months ago

I would recommend getting as many specialized certs (in addition to the basic lifeguard cert, that is) that you can.
Having a waterfront cert and a waterpark cert will only make you more valuable.
Once you have those, you could even go for Instructor status.
I wish you great luck.
Jo B.
AquaSportsInc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.