How old do you have to be to be a lifeguard?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (44)

Don in Chardon, Ohio

85 months ago

you need to be 17

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (50) Reply - Report abuse

rashonda cooper in Mckinney, Texas

81 months ago

you have to be around 16.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (36) Reply - Report abuse

Jake in Paris, France

76 months ago

15 1/2 for red cross.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (48) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

98cats98 in Lexington, Illinois

64 months ago

can i be 10 beacuse i am a good swimer i saved my sister before.Or can i be 10-13??????????????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (97) Reply - Report abuse

DD in Lakeville, Connecticut

62 months ago

you're never too old! I'm a lifeguard for the red cross association and there's a few lifeguards who are in their fourties and early fifties still lifeguarding today. you should give it a shot!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

Cassie in Buffalo, New York

62 months ago

Im 14 turning fiftenn in a couple days, im looking for a job, and im a really good swimmer, i was on the swim team, and i would really enjoy being a lifeguard at this small public pool at this park is it possible i could get hired?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (62) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Louis de Beer in Pretoria, South Africa

59 months ago

I realy to be a lifeguard. How can i get a job in the south coast area?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

Hjuddddey in Denham Springs, Louisiana

54 months ago

I'm going to be a lifeguard this summr, And i'll be 15.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

gabriek in Fresh Meadows, New York

54 months ago

fgbdfsb in Durham, North Carolina said: u have to be 15! i took the class this last week and now ima lifeguard

is the lifeguard test hard? the corse i mean

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

Katy in Fort Worth, Texas

53 months ago

I just turned 14 in Dec., and I've always wanted to be life guard.
I once tried out for a swim team and the coach asked if I had been profecionally trained. Of course I siad no, but I thought it was really cool that she said that. Ever since then I've wanted to be a life guard.
Is it possible that I could be a life guard at 14 if there are people there that know me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Claire Thompkins in Woodstock, Georgia

52 months ago

DiamondSword in Durban, South Africa said: I am 25 and i wondered if I'm already to old to try out life Guarding? I wanted to but never really went for it, but now I am thinking about it, scared I might be too old now to try it. All I get is when your right to become a life guard but not from what age to what age you can be one.

Please give me some advice anyone.

You're never too old to be a lifeguard. If you can pass the test and it's really what you want to do, go for it. It's so much fun and I love it. I am 27 years old and I started when I was 25. You won't regret it. It's fun! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Brooke in Temple, Texas

52 months ago

I want a summer job. Im 14 turning 15 august... is it possible that i could become a lifegaurd. Im very fit, im on the swim team..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Michael in Saint Charles, Missouri

51 months ago

you have to be 15 15/2

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Bright in Calgary, Alberta

51 months ago

In Alberta (Canada) you have to be 16 at private pools, and to lifeguard with the City of Calgary you have to be 18. I can't imagine going to a pool and seeing a 15 year old lifeguard.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Kenyon in Evergreen, Colorado

50 months ago

Red Cross standards require you to be 15 to be a Lifeguard, 16 to be a WSI. Many pools have their own age regulations for legal purposes. I manage a pool that requires guards to be 16, but all places differ depending on their features and legal specifics

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

sam in Louisville, Kentucky

50 months ago

im 16 and i just started lifeguarding. its sooooo fun! just wear alot of sunscreen!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

ben leominster MA

48 months ago

i am 14 can i be a lifeguard?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Kenyon in Evergreen, Colorado

48 months ago

You can be a "shallow water attendant" a cert offered by the red cross, but its pretty useless you can only guard a maximum of a 3ft. depth with no varying depth. I recommend you wait till your 15 and then take a lifeguard course.
-Kenyon

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

desi in Renton, Washington

48 months ago

james p in Pensacola, Florida said: legaly you have to be 14 to be a junior life guard 16 to be a lifeguard and 18 to be an private instructer

thats a good one i have always wanted to be at least 16 to become a life gaurd and ive always asked and they said 17 1/2 or something so ill think about 16

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

desi in Renton, Washington

48 months ago

and im a really fast and good swimmer and i saved my lil sister she was 5 and sence that happend she alwas asks me to go swimming with her and when she was 5 i was 7

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

n/a in Panama City, Florida

48 months ago

can you be 12? i love to swim and i passed all the levels by the red cross and i really want to try and be at least a jr. life gaurd.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

n/a in Panama City, Florida

48 months ago

im turning 13 in sept. and i want to know if i can be on the re cross rescue team or at least be on a jr. life guard team. im a really good swimer and i love the water but i want to do something other than just swiming around in the water

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Kenyon in Aurora, Colorado

48 months ago

People, its pretty simple 15 to be a red cross lifeguard. That is corresponding with child labor laws. And quite frankly most places wont take someone under 16. Personally I try to hire only 18 and up for liability reasons

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Charlie in Peterborough, United Kingdom

42 months ago

I am 15 can i become a lifeguard at teh age i am now. I have aplied for a job at a swimming pool already. i am just waiting for a reply. i just want to know what my chances are of getting the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

moolate in Dayton, Ohio

41 months ago

In ohio you must be 15 1/2 to even take the course.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

ananymous in Brockton, Massachusetts

40 months ago

98cats98 in Lexington, Illinois said: can i be 10 beacuse i am a good swimer i saved my sister before.Or can i be 10-13??????????????

no you have to be 15 to be qualified for a cetificate that takes 35 hours to get sorry

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

Brooke in Temple, Texas said: I want a summer job. Im 14 turning 15 august... is it possible that i could become a lifegaurd. Im very fit, im on the swim team..

sorry not yet you have to be over15 just to take the course.many people out there are just as fit as you and can even swin faster becasue of their age theres a lot of competition because its one of the best summer jobs for kids! and by the time you finish the course you will be back in school becasue its a 35 hour course if you pass it will already be way to late

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

n/a in Panama City, Florida said: can you be 12? i love to swim and i passed all the levels by the red cross and i really want to try and be at least a jr. life gaurd.

you were missunderstood you cannot take any red cross lifeguard tests until your 15 so thats imposable and theres no jr. lifeguardsyou either are one or not

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

nate in Mount Morris, New York

38 months ago

98cats98 in Lexington, Illinois said: can i be 10 beacuse i am a good swimer i saved my sister before.Or can i be 10-13??????????????

u need to have the physical strength what if a 300 pound adult needed help?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

carolne46 in Aurora, Illinois

38 months ago

I am from your home town of Lexington and worked at the Lexington swimming pool for years as a lifeguard. I went on to become a YMCA Aquatic Director and trained many American Red Cross lifeguards. You must be 15 years old to take the class, but many facilities have their own policies as to what the minimum age is for a lifeguard that they will hire. For myself, I always tried to hire guards that were at least 16 years old, if not older. The younger the guard, the fewer the hours unless they showed exceptional maturity and skill in the classes that I taught. My advice is to take the class when you are old enough, practice the skills, don't horse around in the class, work any hours that are offered, and don't rely on only one facility for a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

crazygirl7553 in Martinsburg, West Virginia

37 months ago

Katy in Fort Worth, Texas said: I just turned 14 in Dec., and I've always wanted to be life guard.
I once tried out for a swim team and the coach asked if I had been profecionally trained. Of course I siad no, but I thought it was really cool that she said that. Ever since then I've wanted to be a life guard.
Is it possible that I could be a life guard at 14 if there are people there that know me?

no you must be at least 15, 15 1/2 for red cross

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

chase

37 months ago

Im thirteen Im gonna be 14 In 4 months can i be a life guard?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Look the part of a Lifeguard as well! in San Francisco, California

36 months ago

Here is our website:

lifeguard-tshirts.com/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

damonsage in Mobile, Alabama

35 months ago

fgbdfsb in Durham, North Carolina said: u have to be 15! i took the class this last week and now ima lifeguard

thank you for the info

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

rose7 in Half Moon Bay, California

30 months ago

DiamondSword in Durban, South Africa said: I am 25 and i wondered if I'm already to old to try out life Guarding? I wanted to but never really went for it, but now I am thinking about it, scared I might be too old now to try it. All I get is when your right to become a life guard but not from what age to what age you can be one.

no you are not too old my dad took his lifegaurding class when he was about 51 and now he is 58, so yah go for it! Ima turning 15 this summer and am going to take a class to become certified

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MiaMaeBlake in Bream, United Kingdom

30 months ago

Hi i am 13 coming 14 in a few months and i was wondering could i take a lifeguarding course during the summer holidays or do i have to wait till im 15. Please comment asap as i need to know like really soon, Thanks Mia x x

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

lif3guard<3 in Scottsboro, Alabama

29 months ago

no im so sorry yo uhavae to be at least 15 for red cross to even consider you!!!!

lif3guard<3 in Scottsboro, Alabama

29 months ago

MiaMaeBlake in Bream, United Kingdom said: Hi i am 13 coming 14 in a few months and i was wondering could i take a lifeguarding course during the summer holidays or do i have to wait till im 15. Please comment asap as i need to know like really soon, Thanks Mia x x

no im sorry you have to be at least 15 years old to even be considerd and i dont think you a 13 year old would be able to carry a 300 lbs. person...

kayla in Clackamas, Oregon

27 months ago

I'm 11 i've been on the swim team for 5 years and passed through all the swim classes i've saved my friends life 6 times and I can lift hevy things up to 200 pounds can I be a lifeguard?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

swimmer girl in Lake Worth, Florida

27 months ago

ive spent more tha half my life in the water, can lift over 250 lbs., can swim over 6 miles without getting winded, been on the swim team over 4 years, took a red cross class, and am 13. ive been through junior lifegaurding, and my coach considers me an un-paid proffessional swimmer. and for anyone doubting, i can too lift a 300 lb. person in the water. can I be a lifegaurd? p.s. i want to work at the pool that I swim at. everyone knows me there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

swimmer girl in Lake Worth, Florida

27 months ago

p.s. in florida you can take a red cross class at age 10.

LLLL in Trinidad, Colorado

26 months ago

You can become a lifeguard as long as you pass the physical and written tests required to do so. (Lifeguard Instructor) I have trainied lifeguards from 16 to ??? I think the oldest was 60. Of course this was for a swimming pool.

Megan in Marina, California

26 months ago

i'm 11, can lift up to 300 pounds (seriously), and have been on a swim team for 8 years. Can I be a lifeguard?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

andrew in Concord, California

25 months ago

your not to old, you can try out beach lifeguarding. There are many lifeguards in there fourty to fifty years old.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.