Getting a line cook job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Host

How did you get your start doing line cook work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

shane jaiye in United Kingdom

88 months ago

since the job of a line cook is very demanding,education is important but whats most important is characters and qualities u possess as an individual.qualities like these may guarantee success in a line cook's career.

Ability to follow direction
Ability to react quickly,efficiently,and work safely in fast-paced environment on feet.
High energy, positive attitude, willingness to learn and grow.....etc

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Pat in Wellington, British Columbia

81 months ago

You require no real experience or education to be a linecook. I started out as a dishwasher back when I was 16, after that, i was out of the restaurant business until I was 18. I then took a job as a prep cook which requires no real experience or education, just ability to read and follow a recipe. Soon after I applied for a job as a line cook. They trained me for a week, which was basically just them showing me how to cook the orders that I would make. So I suppose just familiarity with how a kitchen works is really all you need.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Freddy Freaker in Connellsville, Pennsylvania

77 months ago

You have to be able to eat your guts and ask for seconds. It takes a stoic personality and alot of guts to be a line cook. Imagine playing full contact football for 8 straight hours with no halftime. Thats what line cooking does to your body. Then you have to clean up the field and the stands, and then drive home all sweaty, stinky, and exhausted. Drink a few beers, passout and wakeup just in time to take a shower. (Because you fell asleep in your work clothes.) Hop in the car head back to work and do it all over again. It might sound rough, but its the life alot of us live. And speaking for myself, I absolutely LOVE being a line cook. And i wouldnt have it any other way!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Mal Carne in Claremorris, Ireland

64 months ago

Freddy Freaker in Connellsville, Pennsylvania said: You have to be able to eat your guts and ask for seconds. It takes a stoic personality and alot of guts to be a line cook. Imagine playing full contact football for 8 straight hours with no halftime. Thats what line cooking does to your body. Then you have to clean up the field and the stands, and then drive home all sweaty, stinky, and exhausted. Drink a few beers, passout and wakeup just in time to take a shower. (Because you fell asleep in your work clothes.) Hop in the car head back to work and do it all over again. It might sound rough, but its the life alot of us live. And speaking for myself, I absolutely LOVE being a line cook. And i wouldnt have it any other way!

Tony! Is that you?!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.