I want to get into the culinary field but...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Alexie in Cibolo, Texas

30 months ago

OK so I love to watch people cook, my TV basically stays on food network, I want to go into the culinary field but I have no experience cooking what so ever. Would someone like me be able to go into such field? If so what should I do to begin?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

michelle in Benson, Arizona

30 months ago

You could most certainly get in. You could sign up for some culinary arts classes if you feel you need to be educated. Otherwise check your local listings and see if there are any cooking jobs and tailor your resume with what you have learned from watching food network;-) a resume is your photograph to a potential employer so if I were you I would start by getting your resume updated to fit your next cooking job. cheers!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Alexie in Cibolo, Texas

30 months ago

Thanks for the comment =). I'll see about finding a culinary school I can get into since I actually no near nothing about cooking.

Ranada in Decatur, Georgia

29 months ago

Alexie in Cibolo, Texas said: OK so I love to watch people cook, my TV basically stays on food network, I want to go into the culinary field but I have no experience cooking what so ever. Would someone like me be able to go into such field? If so what should I do to begin?

the best thing to do without professional cooking experience is to go to culinary school. I graduated from the Art Institute of Atlanta and enjoyed every second of and even miss it at times.

Jeff Reindeer in Roanoke, Virginia

25 months ago

Culinary school is an excellent option, and an alternative to that ( if you don't have the money/time) would be to take a position as a dishwasher. It's the lowest rung on the restaurant hierarchy(requires no prior skills, although it takes work and calculation), but it's an excellent opportunity to learn and become familiar with restaurant work. After adding prep duties to your dish washing regimen, and working hard and showing an interest, the next step will be your promotion to line cooking ( probably take a year or so unless openings come up unexpectedly, and probably as garde manager first). This is the long way, and not as thorough of an education as culinary school, but it certainly it a great way to learn about cooking, while experiencing the real life atmosphere of restaurant work. I would actually recommend this to start with before going to school, as the restaurant life can be quite grueling, annoying, and tiresome and riddled with unsavory behavior and characters, however it is also quite rewarding and something that many people ( including myself) absolutely love.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Zac Parker in Austin, Texas

4 months ago

To start your career in culinary arts industry, you should have to set your mind first to learn something interesting to achieve your goals successfully. Then you should take a look on the top culinary schools from where you can easily reach to the first step of your career goals. Gaining the culinary arts knowledge as much as you can depends on your sincerity towards the work. Culinary school provides or should provide you with a fairly complete framework of the basics from sauces to food chemistry. Also, you can easily start up your job with better starting position by joining good culinary school. Since, culinary arts field is one of the most demanding careers these days, so having a culinary arts degree from a reputed school is must because it is one of the basic requirements while looking for a job. One important side benefit of formal culinary education is the experience of being taught techniques and process, which serves a chef in the training and communications requirements of any good position. You can check the list of top culinary schools in the US here: bit.ly/18vRXx5

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.