need advise about carrier Path in Linux

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Rashid Raja in boonton, New Jersey

53 months ago

Hi - i started to work on Linux as a hobby 6 years ago then i studied cisco and MCSE 2003 and completed the Certifications
I also went through a Course in Linux System administration and since then i did some good work on Linux like
configuring web servers - cache servers - kernel tuning etc
server installations through kickstart etc -i have a good exposure to Red Hat Enterprise 5 , Centos -Fedora Core
but i don't have any real world experience in Linux - now i am trying my best to get a job as Linux Operations / Support or Linux Technician / Jr linux System admin - i am willing to relocate anywhere in the USA - problem is companies are not willing to hire any Linux System administrators at entry levels - i want a job and carry my studies towards RHCE and advance Linux skills - right now i am not getting any job in Linux even i do have very good skills in Linux
any advise or help will be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Rashid

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ludvig in Berkeley, California

51 months ago

Make something yourself that you think would be useful. Or, make a totally fake and useless set of servers, and just pretend it's real.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

gmoney8138 in Hermosa Beach, California

28 months ago

Like ludvig said make your self an environment. I would start off by deploying and getting familiar with lamp as well as learning scripting (bash or perl). I would use either xen or vmware as hypervisor wich will allow you to deploy anything you like. Youll be able to practice disk management raid, encryption, ect. It also a good idea to get the hang of virtualization as it is the future in system administration. You can practice storage aswell install freenas or openfiler on a vm and create a bunch of virtual disk. The sky is your limit just get curious. You should get familiar with security, like locking down ssh, and using iptables. i can go on on but just get curious and u will be fine. It always good to look at job posting and go to interviews even though you know you we wont get the job but u will get the feeling of whats in need in the market.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.