What are the best locksmith qualifications and training to get ahead?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Host

What is the best training for becoming a locksmith? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective locksmith?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

Fred in Salt Lake City, Utah

92 months ago

Host said: What is the best training for becoming a locksmith? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective locksmith?

As far as training goes it really depends on which state you live in.
In N. Calif. near S.F. there is a school
Bay Area School of Locksmithing
www.mylockschool.com
Most of the companies like to have their new hires have at least a little knowledge
before bringing them on fresh. They also depend on the schools to provide a reference for a student that may apply for a position with their company.

Their is a company - Foley-Belsaw that provides a correspondence course.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Creston Riley in South River, New Jersey

83 months ago

correspondence courses are overrated.

1.) The best training is hands on training, coupled with theory.
2a.) That varies depending on what state you are in. Call consumer affairs in your local county and get that info.
2b.) All lock companies offer training on their locks @ trade shows, most for a fee. I highly recommend that you find the closest trade show and attend. you can look up trade shows on www.aloa.org under calender. as well as certified schools.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

William Antonio in Baltimore, Maryland

80 months ago

Host said: What is the best training for becoming a locksmith? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective locksmith?

Hi,

I have a related question: how can I know what certifications has a company? For example this one:

www.locksmithnewyorkcity.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Daniel in Manchester, United Kingdom

79 months ago

hey guys, I'm doing a drama piece about locksmiths for my Performing Arts coursework. I was wondering what is the best career path to take as a locksmith?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

greg in San Diego, California

77 months ago

i would recommend to work with an experienced locksmith for a while
www.locksmithinla.com

eepoy in new york

59 months ago

Hi. I think you must work first with a professional locksmith so that he may train you as well.

avidlocksmith.com

Creston Riley in South River, New Jersey

59 months ago

eepoy in new york said: Hi. I think you must work first with a professional locksmith so that he may train you as well.

avidlocksmith.com

No matter what company you work for they all have 'the way to do things' and it's slightly different with pretty much everyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

igone

58 months ago

The best locksmith school which is hands on training not the nonsense home study programs or the videos which provide outdated information is the Charles Stuart School Of Locksmithing in Brooklyn New York see them at www.charlesstuartschool.com Great hands on training with professional locksmiths teaching you. call them call directory assistance for Brooklyn New York.In addition their Jersey City school New Jersey School of Locsmithing provides the training necessary to obtain your New Jersey continuing locksmith tyraining inorder to renew the locksmith license

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.