bump keys

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (13)

art

87 months ago

I just finished locksmithing courses, but i still want to learn more. My next topic is bump keys and i wanted to find out if it is effective method and easy to learn, and should i make them myself or it's better to buy them of internet, and wants web sites?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Creston Riley in South River, New Jersey

87 months ago

hahaha don't buy them on the web. why pay $3-$7 a key when you can make them yourself? also bumpkeys are overrated. and only a tool to those who cannot pick locks. something about 85% effective isn't good enough.

but if you really wanna make them contact me i'll tell you how to make an effective bump.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Scott

77 months ago

Bump keys are an interesting art, but you would really have to be packing around a lot of weight in keys. Picking is much more effective and practical. Learn to impression, it is not a difficult art to learn and the more you practice the quicker you get. A locksmith with the ability to impression is worth his weight in gold.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Robert in Seven Hills, Australia

75 months ago

Bumping a lock is unprofessional and should never be performed by a locksmith and should ALWAYS be used as one of the last resorts..

A bump key is easy to manufacture and all it requires is the lowest cuts on any given key blank. provided its a pin tumbler lock(bilock and kaba will not work.. don't bother trying.)

I suggest you read up on what bumping does first, and then decide whether or not its a good thing to learn..

I will tell you why its unprofessional for the main reason.. customer sees you pull out a key, thump it into his lock and open it, hes going to later make a bump key and then try it himself.. then everyone does it..

Not only that, but bumping damages the plug in the lock, and often the faceplate too.. with indentations on the face of the lock.. mainly on oval 504 cylinders..

~ Rob.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

serge in Sydney, Australia

71 months ago

hey how do u make a bump key for lockwood doors????

Robert in Westmead, Australia

71 months ago

Serge, as stated above by many people, bumping a lock is quite unprofessional and should only be left as a last resort to getting into the lock.

Bumping a lock puts an indentation on the plug where the shoulder strikes it, thus making the key go in further(and pins going higher) causing the pins to click/grind.

Want something fun to learn, learn how to rap a lock(when its out of the door, with no keys.)

Anyways, onto answering your question..

A lockwood door, i'm probably just going to guess a c4 plug..

Cut an LW4 key with 99999 or AAAAA for a 5 pin plug.
CUt an LW5 key with 999999 or AAAAAA for a 6 pin plug.

The same codes above apply for any other key as well really.. providing they can be bumped.

Cheers,
Rob.

Scott in Eight Mile Plains, Australia

70 months ago

I am a professional locksmith doing around 10 lockouts a day. Lock bumping can make an impossible entry easy. Lots of situations where it is a better option then picking, especially when physical entry of pick tools isnt possible.
Bumping is just as effective or even more so then picking. Learn to do it properly and it does no damage, works just about every time.
Having multiple entry techniques and skills increases your efficiency.

Scott

scott peters in sydney, Australia

68 months ago

Scott in Eight Mile Plains, Australia said: I am a professional locksmith doing around 10 lockouts a day. Lock bumping can make an impossible entry easy. Lots of situations where it is a better option then picking, especially when physical entry of pick tools isnt possible.
Bumping is just as effective or even more so then picking. Learn to do it properly and it does no damage, works just about every time.

Scott

hey scott im very interested in the bumping tehnique, im curious do you use the pullout or the minimal movement method? also do you file tip and shoulder on your keys, and if the keys are cut at 9 on a 5 pin c4 do you file the cuts a little deeper?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

The Flying Locksmith in Abington, Massachusetts

68 months ago

That is absolutely not true and the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. A customer refuses to pay because you bumped it? The door was locked, now it's open and the bill should be paid. That is like saying they refuse to pay if you drill the lock. Explain to the customer what your doing, and that each lock bypass method takes knowledge and skill. If they refuse to pay you have other problems and their argument would hold no water in court.

Know how to bump, pick and whatever else you can do to open a locked door. When someone is locked out they could care less about HOW you get in, just HOW LONG. Bump away!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

nhcodfather in Claremont, New Hampshire

68 months ago

Bumping is just one trick in a bunch that I might use. Here in New Hampshire when you are doing a lockout in the winter my customers just want to get IN!!!
I have NEVER had someone refuse to pay me because I used a bump key. You can damage a lock if you hit that key too hard and it usually doesn't work well when you hit the bump key too hard.
Just like picking it is a finess thing. If you know how the lock works it makes it easier to get it open. Like some of the other people have said perfect your picking technique and there are times when bumping comes in handy but it doesn't work 100% of the time. Almost nothing works 100% of the time that's why it's good to have an arsenal of things you can try. ALL this having been said there are ways to make bump keys that make better bump keys than just using a key that is cut to all maximum depths. Those $3 to $7 keys you buy on the web are a RIP OFF.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

gofishbubba in Columbia, Missouri

58 months ago

I agree. If you can bump the lock, that would leave you room for another job. Installing pick resistant pins, so that nobody else can bump the lock. Makes the customer feel safer and makes you another dollar too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

businesstobusiness in Rotterdam, Netherlands

37 months ago

Scott in Eight Mile Plains, Australia said: I am a professional locksmith doing around 10 lockouts a day. Lock bumping can make an impossible entry easy. Lots of situations where it is a better option then picking, especially when physical entry of pick tools isnt possible.

Scott

hey can anybody on here help me ? please send me an email to businesstobusiness@hotmail.co.uk

I have my own company and i need to have a perfect bumpkey made the locks i sell are only 15 euros so for anybody profesional this will not be a big problem .. everytime someone does not pay the rent it costs me 75 euros to get it removed please help me out i want to pay good money for a good working key

kind regards Benjamin lancaster

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

businesstobusiness in Rotterdam, Netherlands

37 months ago

nhcodfather in Claremont, New Hampshire said: Bumping is just one trick in a bunch that I might use. Here in New Hampshire when you are doing a lockout in the winter my customers just want to get IN!!!
I have NEVER had someone refuse to pay me because I used a bump key. You can damage a lock if you hit that key too hard and it usually doesn't work well when you hit the bump key too hard.
Just like picking it is a finess thing. If you know how the lock works it makes it easier to get it open. Like some of the other people have said perfect your picking technique and there are times when bumping comes in handy but it doesn't work 100% of the time. Almost nothing works 100% of the time that's why it's good to have an arsenal of things you can try. ALL this having been said there are ways to make bump keys that make better bump keys than just using a key that is cut to all maximum depths. Those $3 to $7 keys you buy on the web are a RIP OFF.

hey can anybody on here help me ? please send me an email to businesstobusiness@hotmail.co.uk

I have my own company and i need to have a perfect bumpkey made the locks i sell are only 15 euros so for anybody profesional this will not be a big problem .. everytime someone does not pay the rent it costs me 75 euros to get it removed please help me out i want to pay good money for a good working key

kind regards Benjamin lancaster

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.