What do you enjoy most about your logistics coordinator career?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

What do you enjoy most about being a logistics coordinator? What do you dislike the most? Is it challenging? Are there many opportunities to learn and advance?

What keeps you at your job?

Reply - Report abuse

mightybuju in Windhoek, Namibia

52 months ago

This position is very challanging and you learn more by the day. I've been in the transport business for ten years and I'm still learning new things. I just love what I'm doing. For me there's no better job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Buffy in Long Beach in Long Beach, California

49 months ago

This position is highly stressful. I'm working as a Logistics Coordinator for a Customs Broker in the Port of Los Angeles. The pay is very little for what you're expected to do. A Customs Broker clears cargo containers that come into the Port by the thousands on a weekly basis. There is so much paperwork involved that it's unbelievable! To clear the containers, a Customs Broker has to file all of the legal documents, certificates, etc.

The pay is very little and you work long, hard days at a fast pace & put in a lot of overtime that you're not paid for because the company hires you as a salaried employee. Salaried employees are paid a straight 40 hour work week. Any overtime at the company I work for is not paid. Yet, there is so much work that has to be done, its mandatory that you work overtime!

The reason there is such high pressure with this type of job is that most all logistic jobs means working in a time frame. In my case, the cargo ships that come into the Port of Los Angeles have about a 7 day in and out period of time. This means all of the paperwork has to be done within a certain time frame. And since it has to do with U.S. Customs and the FDA, if you don't get the paperwork done in the alotted amount of time, your customers that you're clearing the cargo for can be penalized, fined; ships get demurge, truckers get held up, etc.

Its a very hard job and very stressful. It's like being in the hot seat everyday, all day long. The containers can be carrying goods that total cost could be in the thousands up to a couple of million dollars depending on what type of goods they are. That's the bottom line. If a Logistics Coordinator isn't doing a good job or staying on top of their game, numerous things can go wrong. And remember, this involves the U.S. Customs Dept. and the FDA. These guys are about as high as you can get when it comes to making any mistakes and being told so by them! They can turn around and yank your brokers license

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Sci in Allendale, New Jersey

34 months ago

Buffy, even if you are a paid on Salary, companies by law still have to pay you overtime.

You take what you make on a weekly, bi-weekly, or however you get paid, divide that number by the right amount to get your "hourly" wage. For every 15 minutes usually (other times its every hour) over 40 hours, the company, by US Federal Law has to pay you 1.5 times your hourly wage, even if you are paid on salary.

You should talk to your company about this because if they do not pay overtime, you could take it up with your HR department and if they still refuse, talk to a lawyer because sometimes your OT hours can add up to a lot of money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.