Starting out...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

How did you get your start doing machinist work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

randy9685

72 months ago

i took an entry level job in a shop and took a class at night, "basic machine shop theory". I work hard and never missed work. It cost money for a shop to train folks and the raises were nickle and dime, so I learned what they would teach me and after a year or two I went to the next machinist job I could find. I got a dollar raise each time I changed Jobs. I have 25 years in the trade now and the last three companys over the last ten years have said I was as good as they ever seen. remember your atitude will carry you far past your abilities and they will catch up later.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

joe machinist in Kenosha, Wisconsin

60 months ago

I like being able to make things I want or need. I learned manual machining by reading books and using the small machine that I bought. Your knowledge always increases 10X faster than your paycheck. I have hopped from shop to shop for a long time. That seems to be the only way to get paid for your knowledge. Production machinig does tend to be very boring. Learn how to set-up and program quickly and efficiently and how the machine works. Learn to use whatever built in features the machine provides and how to make your own (parametric). I can program most simple parts faster than most guys can draw it in CAD. Be creative. I have done some pretty strange things with CNC machines. You are only limited by your imagination.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

mikepaventi@hotmail.com in Youngstown, Ohio

53 months ago

very helpfull.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.